• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Recommended Rule List v2.0 & General Ruleset Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You didn't say it was those items only: you just said items. >_>

I'd still be more scared if MK grabbed something like a complete Dragoon set, a Home-Run bat to chuck at me, a Cracker Launcher, or a Green Shell. If I was using someone like Falco, I would probably start panicking if he grabbed a Franklin Badge.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
As long as the really obscene stuff like Dragoon was turned off, I don't see how items could do anything but dramatically improve gameplay. Even Ganny can throw a green shell. I'd love to see it destroy the tier list and give us VOLUMES of new strategies to play.

INB4 "items are unbalanced and random". Big whup. I've been taken out of tournaments via trip->getting smashed in match 3, so don't feed me that "metagame is fair and balanced" jazz. I'd rather lose by having someone toss a bomb at me or something. At least I'd have a chance to dodge.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
You didn't say it was those items only: you just said items. >_>

I'd still be more scared if MK grabbed something like a complete Dragoon set, a Home-Run bat to chuck at me, a Cracker Launcher, or a Green Shell. If I was using someone like Falco, I would probably start panicking if he grabbed a Franklin Badge.
I'm equally scared of tripping. Last night I went to down-throw tech chase a Zelda 4 times in a row, and each of them were immediately messed up by a trip. FOUR TIMES I TRIPPED, IN A ROW.

But more to the point, at least you have a number of options in those scenarios.

Against a perfectly planking Metaknight theoretically you have:

a) Lose
b) Attempt to punish planking and fail

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Oh I know. Both situations are flat out terrible to compete against. Plank is well, planking. Hope that the MK messes up on a rather simple thing. Various items in MK's hand would force most characters to play very cautiously, to the point where they are bound to mess up be heavily punished (Green shell for example). Where is the option to have to deal with neither of these things? >_>

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You guys are gonna have to ban stalling with infinite jumping with items. (I've seen Ganon and falco do it with a green shell)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Oh I know. Both situations are flat out terrible to compete against. Plank is well, planking. Hope that the MK messes up on a rather simple thing. Various items in MK's hand would force most characters to play very cautiously, to the point where they are bound to mess up be heavily punished (Green shell for example). Where is the option to have to deal with neither of these things? >_>
@Bold: I lol'd

You're correct, increasing MK's options is generally the opposite of what our community has traditionally done. MK with an item in hand may at first seem limited since then in the air all he can do is throw the item and the same on the ground. But at least in the air he can z-drop it and proceed as normal. The point being the threat of an item being thrown at you.

But wouldn't you say the same for many characters with an item in hand? I'd have thought any character with an item in hand when you don't have one is a menacing foe. We aren't used to the idea. It's scary. I find the prospect scary. But imagine a Diddy with 2 bananas and a green shell? A Falco with an item in hand could DSHL to a Glide tossed approach?

I honestly think it goes both ways. Metaknight is still overpowered, but, at least planking is a riskier action.

You guys are gonna have to ban stalling with infinite jumping with items. (I've seen Ganon and falco do it with a green shell)
Truth. I've tried this for the lolz before.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
The game would change a lot for sure. Wolf, MK, Ike, and Link can all DACIT. So any item you can only throw = free slide across 1/2-3/4 of FD basically. Glidetossing would become extremely important for all characters who can pull it off. Some characters would almost always want an item in hand, while others would only want to pick them up and chuck them to cover their approach.

It would be different at a minimum, but I have no clue how MK's planking would be effected. He could also plank with an item in hand for example...

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think the velocity with which you can throw items + the threat of getting hit in the first place would be enough to discourage planking. You could jump in the air high above the ledge and bait a reaction from MK and punish with the item throw.

But that's just theorycraft, and planking with an item in hand could be troublesome.

Jack Kieser, tell us if there's been testing vs Planking!

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Food would discourage planking pretty effectively, as would having random items thrown straight down the side of the ledge. Although MK would have new options with items, I think it still works to balance things out. Tornadoes, nade camping, nanners, lasers, it all becomes harder to spam when the opponent can throw something much more dangerous. New life will also be breathed into the metagames of the spacies, ROB, Mario, Zelda, and everyone else who can reflect/absorb/eat projectiles. It's worth seeing at the very least.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Food would discourage planking pretty effectively, as would having random items thrown straight down the side of the ledge. Although MK would have new options with items, I think it still works to balance things out. Tornadoes, nade camping, nanners, lasers, it all becomes harder to spam when the opponent can throw something much more dangerous. New life will also be breathed into the metagames of the spacies, ROB, Mario, Zelda, and everyone else who can reflect/absorb/eat projectiles. It's worth seeing at the very least.
One thing: a perfect planking Metaknight is untouchable, regardless of who you're playing or what item you have. Other than that, you have valid points.

Tesh

Smash Hero
One thing: a perfect planking Metaknight is untouchable, regardless of who you're playing or what item you have. Other than that, you have valid points.
I'm not saying we should turn smart bombs on, but wasn't it proven that MK is vulnerable for at least 1 frame while "PPlanking". Only untouchable by most in a 1v1 with items off?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Would you mind pointing me to this information? I'm going off of DMG's thread, which roughly states that MK has ten frames of wiggle room to PPlank, so even if he isn't frame perfect he's still invincible.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I skimmed the info in DMG's thread before and I read that MK is invincible for the first Uair and for the first half of the second one.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=267257

- MK first grabs the edge. He is stuck on the edge for 25 frames.
- MK first moves off the edge, and inputs Uair ( Frame 27 ). From what I know, you cannot have the ledge drop and an aerial on the same frame. So technically you drop on Frame 26, but cannot input Uair until frame 27). This Uair first comes out on frame 2 ( Frame 28), and the complete move ends on Frame 13 ( Frame 39). Frame 14 (Frame 40) you are allowed to input another input.
- MK can now Uair again. (Frame 41 it hits). Then that Uair ends (Frame 52).

So in short, MK's first Uair is completely invincible. His second one is invincible until about midway through, after the hitbox has come out.
But I'm no expert on this frame data, so idk.

NNID
Budget_Player
DownB planking, the one without a hitbox, has 1 vulnerable frame. Uair planking, the one which is generally seen as unbeatable (you can grab the ledge from the downB one), has 6 vulnerable frames. A dropped item has active hitboxes until it hits the ground.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
DownB planking, the one without a hitbox, has 1 vulnerable frame. Uair planking, the one which is generally seen as unbeatable (you can grab the ledge from the downB one), has 6 vulnerable frames. A dropped item has active hitboxes until it hits the ground.
Well there you go.

The only thing that changes then, is that Metaknight has to do something different on those frames when they know an item is coming their way.

Mindgames Mindgames Mindgames.

Ugh, theorycrafting.

Interesting. I'm still not big on implementing items in to gameplay though
Ditto.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Aw, he's new Kewkky, go easy on him! He was just trying to help. Lol though at the fact that you actually replied nicely.

And I disagree with sneakytako. Port town should be legal. It's a natural instinct to avoid cars.
What's THAT supposed to mean? :lick:

And you guys know that even if items are on, MK still has the 5th (?) fastest ground speed, right? He also retains his planking abilities. You only get 1 shot at chucking an item at MK if one appears, and guess what? You have to jump over MK for that. Since youre doing something that gives him a warning that you're gonna throw an item, he can avoid it at will, or simply do a downB ledgegrab to avoid it altogether. Everytime you get an item, it's the same scenario... And what if while MK's planking, an item appears near HIM instead? What if the MK is also a skilled player who just loves playing gay (theres a lot of these)?

Food doesn't discourage planking... What if MK has a stock lead instead of a % lead? Food won't get you anywhere if he started planking when you were at 0% from respawning.

In my opinion, items cause nothing but trouble.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
And you guys know that even if items are on, MK still has the 5th (?) fastest ground speed, right? He also retains his planking abilities. You only get 1 shot at chucking an item at MK if one appears, and guess what? You have to jump over MK for that. Since youre doing something that gives him a warning that you're gonna throw an item, he can avoid it at will, or simply do a downB ledgegrab to avoid it altogether. Everytime you get an item, it's the same scenario... And what if while MK's planking, an item appears near HIM instead? What if the MK is also a skilled player who just loves playing gay (theres a lot of these)?
Hey, one chance is better than no chance. Most MKs are rinse/lather/repeat kinda players...they won't be able to abuse items as bad as you think. Even though MK can obviously use items as well, I think it's worthwhile to get some attacks that are actually dangerous and outrange him. He already has that much on half the cast anyway, so I don't see why MK with a beam sword is any worse than MK with no items in the first place.

Food doesn't discourage planking... What if MK has a stock lead instead of a % lead? Food won't get you anywhere if he started planking when you were at 0% from respawning.
How about every other case where he's not planking a stock up? Planking is banned in most tournaments now anyway. Also, items aren't being proposed exclusively for balancing out MK, which is where the discussion seems to be going. Items are being proposed to refresh the game, which is becoming hella stale at high level play.

Tesh

Smash Hero
What's THAT supposed to mean? :lick:

In my opinion, items cause nothing but trouble.
Or we could play 1 stock matches with food on. The only leads would be percent leads and only if you control the middle of the stage (closest to where food will appear). Sure Lucario wouldn't like it, but we might get to see a match time out with both players at 0%.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I don't think many people are willing to give items a chance. It definitely does help planking against planking, ESPECIALLY with a LGL on MK. Because of the risk involved with punishing imperfect planking, MK can actually just rely on the existence of the broken tactic to ensure his success in a much tamer version. Implied safety is a powerful tool. For this reason, MKs can often burn large amounts of the clock without actually utilizing a perfect planking strategy. Items and food HEAVILY reduce this possibility, because lots of players will attempt to start planking once they're already near the the end of the match, seeing as an LGL merely reduces the amount you can plank.

Additionally, increasing the timer does something similar.

Just some food for thought. I personally would like to give items a chance, and have no real preference on most other things.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'm FINALLY home from a 2 day trip (having no internet blows...); Vyse sent me a msg with a post from here, and I see there's been some items discussion happening. I'll try posting when I've read everything I've missed / had more than 2 hours of sleep in a car.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Ok, sooooo... lots of discussion happening, eh? First of all, Vyse asked me to respond to the below post specifically, so I'll start with that:

I hate how turning items on could solve so many problems, but also change the game quite a lot as well.

There are so many random aspects and properties in this game (Turnips, waddle dees, 9-Hammer, misfires, tripping and moves that cause tripping, etc) that I'm beginning to believe Item standard play, by creating a universal set of possible, random attacks given the right situations, would help balance the game rather than unbalance it.
Vyse, I congratulate you! I've been dealing with items for over 2 years now. I've had Yuna, RDK, mods, BR member, top players, nobodies, and everyone in-between give every sort of argument for, against, neutral... but never before have I heard something as purely INSIGHTFUL as what you just said:

"A universal set of possible, random attacks"

That's EXACTLY what items are supposed to do! They don't just randomize: they STANDARDIZE! How brilliant! Imagine: the greatest hurdle to competitive fighting game design, by the very admission of game designers themselves, has always been reconciling balance with uniqueness. On one hand, if every character is the same, there is pure, ultimate balance. After all, what is a more balanced matchup than a ditto? But that's no fun! There's no evolution, no change, no progress, no difference... If every match ends up playing out the same, who would play at all?

On the OTHER hand, you have each character playing COMPLETELY differently... but that's a problem, too! Take Guilty Gear, where every single character operates on a totally different set of mechanics... imagine how LONG and how HARD you'd have to work to balance so many mechanics that work NOTHING like each other. How do you measure the relative worth of all those parts? Even worse, how do you anticipate the myriad of possible combination of moves for all the possible combinations of scenarios for all the possible combinations of characters... My head hurts just thinking about it. Something is BOUND to go wrong, and when it DOES, you end up having Ganon v ICs.

But... how about the happy medium? Give each character their individual capabilities, but bind them all together with a universal set of mechanics. Keep them unique, but give them concepts that can be anticipated, controlled, reacted to no matter WHICH characters are playing... Brilliant! You run into the risk of players forgoing the individual characteristics of each character in favor of the (possibly) better universal mechanics...

But, you take them away periodically! It's the perfect system! Create a cycle to the match! For a while, you have to rely on your individual strengths, for a while you can lean on the universal tactics, back and forth, back and forth... It makes the matches dynamic! It's like only being able to periodically shield or airdodge. Only those moves are TOO basic, TOO universal. You ALWAYS need those, so... VOILA! Items. Periodical offensive tools used to standardize an otherwise unruly cast and an otherwise unruly game.

"A universal set of possible, random attacks"

I think we may have just hit something important. I think there's more to items than even I had thought possible. Especially considering all of the universal ATs that can only be performed with items: the various glide tosses, instant throws, z-drops... Oh, yes, I think we've missed quite a bit.

I hate the idea of having two players at high percents on their last stocks standing at opposite ends of FD, and then having something like a Green Shell appear next to one of them to give them the edge, but I'd rather be outplayed that way than having a trip punished by an infinite chaingrab.
What people forget is that NO MATTER WHAT, item play always gives players a chance to respond. Even if your opponent gets an item spawn that's random and (what some might say) undeserved... he still has to USE it, and this game gives you SO MANY ways to muck up that usage. Seriously, in item play, SHAD is just OVERPOWERED sometimes.

EDIT:

Here's another way to look at it.

Situation A: Metaknight has a percent lead and is planking you.
Situation B: Metaknight has a percent lead and an item just appeared at his feet.

Which situation would you prefer to be in?
I'd rather him have the item. At least I can steal the item; I can't stop PPlanking.

Also, something else to comment on: the ISP thread, in particular, hasn't specifically tested items, in general or specific ones, against PPlanking. That being said, I can comment on a theoretical basis. When an item is thrown, the hitbox stays out until either the item comes to COMPLETE rest, or the item goes away (falls off the stage, "times out" and fades away, is used up, etc.). It could be THEORETICALLY possible to hit MK during that ONE crucial frame of invulnerability with the lingering hitbox of a thrown item, but we've TRIED that with other projectiles. Grenades, bananas, turnips, bombs, arrows, missiles, boomerangs... everything this board has attempted to use has failed.

Part of the reason is that any THROWABLE projectile can be simply CAUGHT by MK. Remember, aerial moves can CATCH projectiles, if timed properly. His U-air can just catch anything thrown down at him. If that's to work, the item would have to be large enough to have a hitbox PAST his U-air on that one frame. A Beam Sword or Cracker Launcher perhaps. We also have to remember that the hitbox of his U-Air can clash with certain items and prevent them from ever reaching MK. The best method of approach would be to throw something at him from the SIDE, have the item bounce off the stage wall and linger in MK's area before it falls.

...of course, YOU try jumping laterally out from the stage against MK. See how it works, having MK between you and the stage.

Oh, and sorry for the tone of this particular post; I've been watching a LOT of Doctor Who today, and I have David Tennant on the brain... Feel free to read this post in David Tennant's voice.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
...was it really necessary to post that in the BBR Rule List thread? Not to mention, I put all that effort into a post for Vyse, and no comment? I'm hurt. :p

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I went to make a reply the other day Jack and got distracted by something. And yesterday I lost my phone, so it was all I could think about (I got it back today from the bus company). Thanks for the reply mate, I believe every word you said and after thinking about this game in terms of randomness (like I have done for a while now), I am open-minded towards ISP, despite having a preference for non-item play.

It's disheartening to realise that having items on doesn't necessarily mean planking can be prevented by it, but let's set a different light on it. Items at the end of the day, whilst not creating an unbeatable means of dealing with it, does create a safer means of dealing with it.

Look at Melee for a second. Sheik has an infinite ledge stall. Ledge hopped Vanish hogging gives you something like a 9 frame leeway to keep yourself permanently invincible whilst hogging the ledge many times - But it's never been a problem. It's a potential problem, but it's never won tournaments.

Why is this?

Consider that in Melee, it actually wasn't all too difficult to deal with somebody hanging on the ledge. By having a standard list of items, we create a safer offensive for dealing with plankers (perfect or not). Jump over them and throw down.

Conversely, the risk is increased for the MK main. If he messes up, he'll be copping an item to the face and that is the crux of the argument I think - decreasing the risk:reward ratio. Think about it. If an MK stuffs up or is hit out of in normal circumstances, he is either in a position to punish you for it, or to go straight back to what they were doing. With Items, it's on the MK to keep a perfect rhythm, and the item thrower is relatively safe from being punished AND MK's have to consider the fact that if they stuff up, these Items have considerable enough knockback to stage spike.

Given all this, the question is whether MK's realistically would pursue perfect planking as a means of defeating Item disruption, or would they begin to abandon excessive ledge stalling? (Remember to consider the case of Melee Sheik).

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
...was it really necessary to post that in the BBR Rule List thread? Not to mention, I put all that effort into a post for Vyse, and no comment? I'm hurt. :p
Yes. Yes it was. And BPC, forgot about items. Not gonna happen. A players ability to react to a random event has nothing to do with spacing, tech skill, and all the other things that we do when we play competitive smash. Lol that sentence above was totally taken from one of the pro ban arguments.

NNID
Budget_Player
Yes. Yes it was. And BPC, forgot about items. Not gonna happen. A players ability to react to a random event has nothing to do with spacing, tech skill, and all the other things that we do when we play competitive smash. Lol that sentence above was totally taken from one of the pro ban arguments.
Yes, and we're allowed to arbitrarily define competitive smash like that? Look at the game. It demands it of us on almost every stage as well as through characters and the very physics engine itself. This particular point has nothing to do with items. The argument "we don't like items" is perfectly valid because unlike stages, the game gives you a switch and says, "here, if you want, you can play without this". We have no argument on any level that forces anyone to play ISP beyond "try it, you might like it" and "it may be more balanced", neither of which are really arguments-they're more bait. However, the appeal to random outcomes does not and should not ever work-not if we use ISP rules and turn off items that unbalance the game like bombs and capsules. Nor should appealing to "this is how competitive smash is"; competitive smash is a completely arbitrary and artificial construct based on how we play the game.

Laem

Smash Champion
enabling items for a semi minor issue? you guys...

also i have a question...
how is grabbing some1 and throwing them in norfair flares for the kill / laserlocking some1 into PTAD cars / w/e "knowing the stage better"?
There's not that much to learning a stage, these hazards are just broken.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Not at all.

All of the legal stages with hazards have a warning before the hazards are actually active. If you actually bother to study the stages, you also know where these hazards can hit. If your opponent is able to see the sign that a hazard is coming, grab you, and then toss you into to said hazard: you were heavily out played. You were in the wrong spot, at the wrong time, and the opponent was able to capitalize on it. It's your own fault, and is not a case of "simply playing on the stage means you are in position to get hit". There are very few stages where a hazard even hits a large portion of the stage at any one time.

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
Well that's giving an advantage to someone like D3 who has godly grab range, normally his grabs can be dealt with accordingly, but when hazards are potentially able to KO you, then D3s grabs are all the more important. I'm not against stages with hazards, but the logic you applied to it was flawed, imo, the stage should never take away from the fight, having an advantage on a level just by it's design(Not hazards) is acceptable, because it does not draw attention to itself, it is simply there, and is played around or used against the opponent

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Take away? They don't take away, they add to the stages. It's a rather flawed way of thinking to suggest they take away depth rather than add to it.

It's already impossible to eliminate the stage factor in Brawl. I mean, you wouldn't even be able to have Smashville, as that ballon can screw over Lucas and Ness. What about stage glitches, like Ike's blastoff glitch on YI's, and Lylat? What about PS1 occasionally sending character flying off during a transformation if you land just wrong? What about Ike aethering through battlefield's slope? Hazards will always be there.

Simply there? That is a matter of opinion. One person can consider the cars on PTAD to be "simply there, and is played around", while the other person can be so sensitive, that the ballon on smashville can't be "played around".

The more adaptable your character is, the more stages they can use to their advantage. D3's grab allows him to adapt to a lot of situations by shield grabbing. Thus, he can use a lot of stages to his advantage.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Well that's giving an advantage to someone like D3 who has godly grab range, normally his grabs can be dealt with accordingly, but when hazards are potentially able to KO you, then D3s grabs are all the more important. I'm not against stages with hazards, but the logic you applied to it was flawed, imo, the stage should never take away from the fight, having an advantage on a level just by it's design(Not hazards) is acceptable, because it does not draw attention to itself, it is simply there, and is played around or used against the opponent
DDD can't throw me into a plume/lava wall if I'm on a ledge. Norfair has six of these wondrous inventions. Like Nidtendo said, if you see a hazard coming you should adjust your fighting style accordingly and take precautions.

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
Well if it's all a matter of opinion then someone could say that the only way to play is all MK on FD, but majority vote seem to make more people happy then not, and the majority of people would say cars are more distracting than a balloon. I want to play against you, not you and the hazards, you know?

NNID
Budget_Player
BPC thinks 4-player FFAs on Mario Bros. is competitive.

Competitive isn't well-defined, but it isn't 100% arbitrary.
There's a difference between "is competitive" and "could be competitive". Anything has potential to be competitive as long as it isn't completely random. I've revised my stance on 4-ways being competitive based on what you said about the best player having to do a lot of 3v1s in his next tournament.

Well if it's all a matter of opinion then someone could say that the only way to play is all MK on FD, but majority vote seem to make more people happy then not, and the majority of people would say cars are more distracting than a balloon. I want to play against you, not you and the hazards, you know?
THEN GO PLAY STREET FIGHTER.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
There's a difference between "is competitive" and "could be competitive". Anything has potential to be competitive as long as it isn't completely random. I've revised my stance on 4-ways being competitive based on what you said about the best player having to do a lot of 3v1s in his next tournament.

THEN GO PLAY STREET FIGHTER.
But Street Fighter isn't Brawl, just like BlazBlue isn't Street Fighter and Tekken isn't BlazBlue. Furthermore, everyone is going to have an opinion about how dangerous/intrusive he or she believe a hazard is allowed to be; you are no one to tell him what to think, just as he is no one to tell you what to think. If you're going to have that attitude then no one gets anywhere; you should stop acting like it's an obvious fact that hazards must be intrinsic to Brawl gameplay.

You two can argue about how Brawl should be played, I just don't think you should disrespect each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom