• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #11: Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
You guys are really sensationalizing what I am/we are saying... this is not a matchup guide or a how to guide. Its a conversation about a characters current "strength" based on the present metagame and future growth.

If you think a character has more to offer than we give them credit for, then perhaps you should speak openly and with tact rather than immediately chastising a conversation that was meant to foster open discussion. Why else would we release these to begin with and let you read the discussion if we didn't want some feedback?

We may very well be short on information about Lucario. Mostly because he is an underused character, but maybe also because we need more people who have knowledge on Lucario besides Lee. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to find people in this community who want to talk rather than flame "the man", as you are demonstrating so well.

At any rate, the aura is definitely a huge strength of the character, the way I see it. Lucario rarely spends much time at low percents to begin with. Once he gets combod up to a higher percent, he quickly regains ground from the aura.

This doesn't mean I'm saying a good PLAYER can't avoid damage and maintain a lead. I'm talking about strictly the character.

I think Lucario is a really great character, but he's not "top tier". Do not misunderstand anything that I have said as me thinking that he is a "worthless gimmick" or "bad".

Browny

Smash Hater
I wouldnt say aura is a huge strength at all. Its blown massively out of proportion when people complain about dying to an fsmash at 80%, yet how many times do you hear the luc mains complaining that it normally takes 10 attacks to get them to 80? There is JUST AS MANY downsides to aura as there are positives, you just never hear about them because they arent so blatantly obvious as the above example.

If you wanted feedback, maybe you should have attempted to start the discussion with everyone informed about what the character is and can do. An SBR rep could come in here and say 'tell us 10 things we dont know about lucario'

to which I could very quickly state off the top of my head.
1. He is the only character anywhere near him on the tier list to be actually increasing in tournament dominance over time as MK steals % from every other character.
2. all aura attacks have transcendant priority
3. Lucarios are highly ranked on many PR's, including a #1 with junebug (last time i checked)
4. Shield knockback and shield stun increase with %
5. Lucario reaches the equivalent of a 1.0x aura multiplier at around 75%
6. dtilt can stagespike well
7. uthrow is a legitimate chaingrab on heavies and fast fallers
8. his jab has extremely deceptive range
9. his b-reveres aura sphere in mid-air is a highly effective mixup
10. full charge aura sphere is just as effective a KO move as his fsmash

now wouldnt this discussion have been better if people made an effort to get educated about the intracacies of this character?

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
why are you all writing wall of texts? lol

Lucario is good. are the people saying hes not and a gimmick place well in tourney? nope.

MetalMusicMan

Maybe it takes 10 attacks to get them to 80%, but it could just as easily only take a few if you get wracked up yourself first.

Two example situations:

A) Lucario outplays his opponent and wracks them to 80% with some good reads and prediction. Lucario has the lead. Aura's strength doesn't really play a part here.

B) Lucario makes terrible reads and gets wracked to 100% by his opponent. Aura picks up a bit, Lucario hits his opponent only a few times and ties the match.

(Obviously it doesn't always play out in A or B, there are other scenarios, but often it does)

Lucario has pretty much just as good of a chance at killing in either of those scenarios, and either way, he has no trouble wracking up the opponent.

Does his aura always come into play / is it always of use? No.

It's a win-win, though; if you outplay your opponent and stay at a low percent, you win. If you don't, you get "free" damage in large amounts and extra kill power. When he's winning, he's winning. When he's losing, it's neutral because it could easily turn around in just a few hits. That mechanic is AMAZING. Lucario, without the aura, in terms of his normals, etc. is a decent character. With the aura, though, he's much, much better than he would be without it.

Browny

Smash Hater
It's a win-win, though; if you outplay your opponent and stay at a low percent, you win. If you don't, you get "free" damage in large amounts and extra kill power. When he's winning, he's winning. When he's losing, it's neutral because it could easily turn around in just a few hits.
How is that win-win? If you outplayed your opponent to the point of having a mild lead with lucario from an even 0% standing, with any other character you would likely have already taken than first stock. You have to outplay your opponent massively to maintain a lead from an even start. Add to that if you outplay them so much that you actually take the first stock, you then get punished with a 0.8x multipler on your attacks.

when hes losing, its neutral until he dies. if hes losing to the point that he loses the first stock, suddenly he is at a huge disadvantage. you are kind of proving my point here you know, there are just as many downsides as there are positives to aura.

That mechanic is AMAZING.
Lucario, without the aura, in terms of his normals, etc. is a decent character. With the aura, though, he's much, much better than he would be without it.
You cant make that call because you dont know how strong he would be by default. You could say without aura his attacks would be weak, I can say he would be like snake in that all his attacks would be doing the equivalent of a 140% lucario. Would you think he is much better with his current system than if he had that?

iRJi

Smash Champion
You guys are really sensationalizing what I am/we are saying... this is not a matchup guide or a how to guide. Its a conversation about a characters current "strength" based on the present metagame and future growth.

If you think a character has more to offer than we give them credit for, then perhaps you should speak openly and with tact rather than immediately chastising a conversation that was meant to foster open discussion. Why else would we release these to begin with and let you read the discussion if we didn't want some feedback?

At any rate, the aura is definitely a huge strength of the character, the way I see it. Lucario rarely spends much time below at low percents to begin with. Once he gets combod up to a higher percent, he quickly regains ground from the aura.

This doesn't mean I'm saying a good PLAYER can't avoid damage and maintain a lead. I'm talking about strictly the character.
It's kind of a blessing you can say. We do deal an increasing amount of damage near and in high percents, but I feel the true strength behind it is that people become cautious because of the risk. That overall increases our chances of living. all and all, it does balance him out to a great extent. God knows what would happen if we didn't have it in the first place.

Lucario's tools are not bad, they are just weird. Lucario is a character of prediction, and while his aggressive style is not looked at, he does have a solid aggro game when done correctly. His oos option are not the best in comparison to some characters in the game, but imo his OOS option are good enough for what he needs to accomplish. His stronger point is how safe he is, despite his average frame data. Looking past the Perfect shielding factor, since most characters become punishable when you perfect shield their move of action, lucario Fsmash is relatively safe on shield from a set distance. It's not a bread and butter move, but it is good for over spacing opponents and keeping people in check for distance, since outside it's range there are only a few select characters who can punish it with anything notable. His Ftilt is -6 on shield when he is at 0%, same stock as your opponent, and becomes as safe as -3 when you are 2 stocks down, high percent. The move lingers around -6 though.

Dtilt is really safe on the back of someone's shield. People just don't use it properly. I fall into this statement.

Dair is over rated, but you must understand that because it is SDIable does not make any less of a solid move. It out ranges MK's Uair in terms of range, and depending on how you SDI it, we have other follow ups as well. If you are at high percent, the first part of dair carries enough hitstun to do a follow up with Nair if you happen to SDI, and Nair will kill you. Also, while most people don't see it, we have this little tidbit if rising and falling Dairs, where lucario does not stand in place when he is dairing, which you will have a very hard time to DI it by any means. It is caused but shield push or not fully momentum canceling after launch, and it is very easy to do to a point where you can recreate it to use as a strat. We all have not mastered it, but it is something you should all look out for.

His jab has outrageous range, and has a follow up for each type of option a person can do to get out of it. The basic option is to spot dodge, but normally that is actually the worse option, due to the amount of punishes we have if we read that you are going to spot dodge. We can stutter step Fsmash after the jabs, and if you Spot dodge, you are taking a high amount of damage. We can AS the spot dodge as well, which leads to an attional 20% on average. If you shield, we can grab, which is less threatening, but still a very solid option. The best option is to actually jump away after the jabs, but if we read the jump we can follow with fairs depending on the character. It does not work on people like marth who has his most used move being fair, and the range of it is pretty long, but on most characters it's a good follow up.

Force palm is something everyone should take a look into. It is a kill move, and a pretty good one at that. It acts like a normal grab, so at low percents you can break out of it decently easy, but after the 45% marker, breaking out of it is really hard to do. It deals a lot of damage for a grab as well. Of the top of my head I think the max damage is 18%, but I could be wrong.

Bair is a beautiful baiting move, since it lingers for about 4-5 frames, and its weak spot is below. It is hard to get below lucario to begin with due to his tools to move in and out of situations. Your best bet is to confront him face to face, but his weak spot is his back.

I could go on and on, but im getting tired. Ill continue this later.

Also, I would like for each player here to take into account that steam is right, as far as I know anyway. Lucario at the beginning is outputting negative damage, and around the 60-70 mark is when he actually hits neutral. In other words, iirc its like this:

Instead of Lucario being seen as

@ 0 = neutral

every percent is an addition

Its more like

@ 0 = -7

@ 70 = neutral

@ 80+ = + 1 until cap

This data is really really old though, and it is most likely buried in the lucario boards so deep you may not find it, so my remembrance on it could be wrong, but to my own knowledge I believe this is right.

MetalMusicMan

You cant make that call because you dont know how strong he would be by default. You could say without aura his attacks would be weak, I can say he would be like snake in that all his attacks would be doing the equivalent of a 140% lucario. Would you think he is much better with his current system than if he had that?
This is a fair accusation. We really don't know how he would have been programmed if they decided to leave the aura out, and it really isn't relevant because all that matters is how the game *actually* turned out. On this, I agree with you.

Taking it at face value though, Aura is still a very powerful dynamic of the character.

Regarding all of this 75% talk... What frame of reference are you basing it on that 75% = neutral? Is there some part of the code that specifies that or something? Admittedly, I've never heard of such a reference, so please do explain how you are determining that.

If he's at 75%, then he's stronger than he was at 0%. I don't see how or why it would be referenced as 0%-74% being "negative aura" unless the game somehow indicated that... and even then, we're really just arguing semantics. He still gets stronger as he takes damage / loses stocks relative to his opponent.

iRJi

Smash Champion
This is a fair accusation. We really don't know how he would have been programmed if they decided to leave the aura out, and it really isn't relevant because all that matters is how the game *actually* turned out. On this, I agree with you.

Taking it at face value though, Aura is still a very powerful dynamic of the character.

Regarding all of this 75% talk... What frame of reference are you basing it on that 75% = neutral? Is there some part of the code that specifies that or something? Admittedly, I've never heard of such a reference, so please do explain how you are determining that.

If he's at 75%, then he's stronger than he was at 0%. I don't see how or why it would be referenced as 0%-74% being "negative aura" unless the game somehow indicated that... and even then, we're really just arguing semantics. He still gets stronger as he takes damage / loses stocks relative to his opponent.
That's the thing. It was shown iirc. I am looking for it, and if I find it I will post it.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Believe he meant around the 69% arc he begins to have damage output that averages with the rest of the cast.

below that we're below-average in terms of % damage and knockback.

and above we begin to go into snake-like damage racking.

I think thats what he meant at least.

I think it was jeepy sol who got that data for us, namesearch his name and you might get it RJ

EDIT: nvm just checked jeepy's profile and looked through his threads, he's not the one you're looking for.

sorry for the red herring/wild goose I guess

Steam

Smash Hero
I got the 75% figure from a thread about brawl's damage calculating formula. and the damage aura multiplier was at 1.00 at 75% damage.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I got the 75% figure from a thread about brawl's damage calculating formula. and the damage aura multiplier was at 1.00 at 75% damage.
Mind posting the info please?

There is another one done on the Lucario boards, but I can't find it lol.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=210557 said:
3.4 Aura Multiplier

This is the formula for the aura multiplier:

where

In coin mode, each coin counts as a stock for the purpose of the stock multiplier.

The damage multiplier is in the interval [0.7, 1.4]. It is 0.7 for all damages <= 20% and 1.4 for all damages >= 170%. It is exactly 1 only when the damage is 75%. A very good approximation for the damage multiplier can be found by reading the value from this chart:

For example, the damage multiplier for 95% is 1.09.

This chart was created by using quintic interpolation between some exact values that we worked out.
Also... There's the neutral stock Aura chart that I made some time ago...

Also because of our Aura thingers we can juggle some characters and have an UThrow CG on some characters at low %.

Also, iRJi -
my chart is in the guide thread >.>

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Basically for each of the multipliers you can look at my chart and apply the calculation to what a move does at 75% and you can figure out how much it'll do under any circumstance.

HOWEVER! There are some weird weird exceptions and stuff we have not figured out yet...

1. After killing someone and evening the stocks I have noticed if we are 20% and under our moves get a slight boost... (Full Charge AS does 14 instead of 13, DAir does 12 instead of 11, etc.)

2. Doubles... Where do I begin with this?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Look at Michael Hey's blog, it has the formula right there (I think we also have a mega old thread that has a discussion about this)

I will also point out that dair is still useful as a stall method/punishment for spacing, and like RJ said, most characters that don't have an aerial that can effectively knock Lucario out of the minor hitlag of dair's first hit can get hit with nair, as seen in this match several times:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ceRIS8632ic&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ceRIS8632ic&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
2:45, 2:59

FP has definitely been overlooked, it compensates for not being a true "command grab" by instead being capable of being one of the most powerful killing grabs in the end game, and is invaluable to Lucario's crossup game at higher percents. Especially with the recent implementation of the "frame 1 FP", it now has capability to land the kill in a scenario where the opponent refuses to get out of shield in the high percent game (DDD comes to mind, very useful considering Lucario lives forever in this MU when done properly but can't land a kill moves safely in normal conditions).

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Ah, Lucario.
I know this character well.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's nothing but gimmicks, as implies by Pierce. However, much like Snake, he's massively overhyped by people that run into his stuff. I've actually two- and three-stocked some notable Lucario mains (which is REALLY hard to do with that darn aura of his).
I'd like to act as a translator for Praxis here.
What he means is he did this to me over a year ago, back when I was "notable" enough to drown in pools at Genesis. In friendlies.

...To be fair I guess I'd keep bringing up events from last year too if it was the last time I did anything worth mentioning.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
1. After killing someone and evening the stocks I have noticed if we are 20% and under our moves get a slight boost... (Full Charge AS does 14 instead of 13, DAir does 12 instead of 11, etc.)
I can answer this.

The strength change takes about 8 seconds to completely finish once the stock multiplier changes.

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=14256

2. Doubles... Where do I begin with this?
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=14256

Zucco

Smash Master
I wonder if ill ever play as good as I did in that video again...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
First hit of dair too good.

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
Lucario's UAIR is also an amazing tool, his entire hitbox is his hurtbox, so unless you have a disjoint you are trading. Even his tail is a hitbox(I dont think thats part of his hitbox though) which allows it to go through tornado when you are above, I need to test what other random moves this goes through, also a good kill/juggle at that

culexus・wau

Lucario's UAIR is also an amazing tool, his entire hitbox is his hurtbox, so unless you have a disjoint you are trading. Even his tail is a hitbox(I dont think thats part of his hitbox though) which allows it to go through tornado when you are above, I need to test what other random moves this goes through, also a good kill/juggle at that
his tail isn't a hitbox.

his butt is though

Browny

Smash Hater

indeed 75% is when his attacks start doing comparbale damage, there is no proof of this number.

To be accurate, Lucario effectively has a 1.0x multiplier at 0-24% and that increases to 2.0x at 170%. He is not technically weakened at 0-75, he is just below average in damage output. at 75% his staple attacks like fsmash, fair, dair, fcas and uair will all do around 15, 6, 15, 15, 8. Of course given than Snake, wario and DK exist, you could argue his neutral power is closer to 85%. It doesnt matter its just an average adopted by luc mains really. In actual fact his 1.5x multiplier is arouind 102.5%, but his 1.5x multiplier is stronger than most characters so thats why we dont cite that number lol.

---
According to Kita, I am actually wrong, and that there is proof of 75 being an actual neutral state relating to his attack damage. It doesnt change anything ultimately, but there apparently is proof. Kita will link it eventually.
---

Yes it is semantics, but it is neccessary as a tool to explain his mechanics to people who dont understand it who typically over-exaggerate the effect of aura and claim that it is unfair, clearly under the belief that his power at 0-24% is what he would be like without it and that if any other character has aura, they would do the exact same damage as they do now at 0% and only increase, snakes ftilt would do 45 at high %. This thread is an example of that being the case (and especially xyr0s latest whinge about aura being cheap).

...To be fair I guess I'd keep bringing up events from last year too if it was the last time I did anything worth mentioning.
Swift and brutal, I love this.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I'd like to act as a translator for Praxis here.
What he means is he did this to me over a year ago, back when I was "notable" enough to drown in pools at Genesis. In friendlies.

I two stocked Flamewave (though to be fair he won the first match), have never not two stocked Phil nye, two stocked CLL, and two stocked Kuro back when he played :) I'm kinda consistent about it, I wasn't just referring to you. Though I would definitely consider you most notable.

I'm rusty now, but I'm hoping to play with Lee Martin over this weekend; I crushed him on WiFi, but WiFi is TRASH(like Xyro). xD I look forward to eating my words, because <3 Lee.

EDIT: Wow, that last statement was a burn. I bought a house and haven't been traveling. Been doing just fine at local tournaments. Winning at life > flying to smash tournaments.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
With the exception of CLL, who I've never met or talked with, those guys are all cool and I love them.
But calling them notable Lucarios and using beating them as an argument in here for tier placement is, uh.... suspect.

(Sorry guys, I have to be honest.)

iRJi

Smash Champion
Nvm, I honestly don't even care that much to keep it up lol.

culexus・wau

With the exception of CLL, who I've never met or talked with, those guys are all cool and I love them.
But calling them notable Lucarios and using beating them as an argument in here for tier placement is, uh.... suspect.

(Sorry guys, I have to be honest.)
I'm about as notable as a speck of dirt.

weren't those friendlies anyway? :<

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Why do people assume that people don't play seriously at all in friendlies?

culexus・wau

I play in friendlies to learn and try out things, practice SDI, fine tune bad habits and practice figuring out habits and stuff

thats completely different from then WIN WIN WIN WIN mindset

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Some people don't play serious in friendlies, especially when it comes to timing out. I mean, if you do that, you're just an ***, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom