• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #31: Captain Falcon

lordhelmet

Smash Master
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense because you SDI during hitLAG, Player-1.

If there's no hitLAG what are you going to SDI in? Like I said I'm not even sure so prove me wrong and I'll shutup.

Player-1

Smash Legend
if you can't sdi nado then how do people escape it?

DERPDERP

btw hitlag is the person who's hitting the other character's lag (aka marth tipper fsmash, that laggy part when you tip it is hitlag)

so no, you don't sdi during hitlag helmet

and this is p3 too lazy to log off

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Fine you win go have some celebratory cake.

Edit: Lord Chair beat me to it but yeah hitlag is both for the attacker and the guy getting hit because you're both stuck in those frames.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
That's what I thought, too. I could never get a character to DI upward in it, but I'm just assuming that I did because Falcon pulled a knee out during it and flubbed him. I really need to take a better look at 'nado's physics. lol.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
False. You SDI during hitlag. Saying you can SDI during hitstun would mean that while flying away after being hit, you could SDI during all those frames on which you aren't capable of performing an aerial.

Player-1

Smash Legend
no **** you i have cold pizza i'm celebrating with

cold pizza, a pregnancy test, and a coat hanger

chair you're a troll why are you even here gtfo mang

-p3

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
False. You SDI during hitlag. Saying you can SDI during hitstun would mean that while flying away after being hit, you could SDI during all those frames on which you aren't capable of performing an aerial.
^
Yeah, he's right. You're mixing up the terms hitlag and hitstun.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I haven't seen it done but I've heard you can. I'll probably test that later.
I read a thread not too long ago, about the ice climbers beeing able to get a grab in if MK nado'd by (S)DIing downwards.

Epic win for the ice climbers

semi-big win for falcon?

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I read a thread not too long ago, about the ice climbers beeing able to get a grab in if MK nado'd by (S)DIing downwards.

Epic win for the ice climbers

semi-big win for falcon?
Funny 'cause I heard Lain is the one that figured it out :p

And if it works well for Falcon (we're tall so it might not) then yes because that would render air nado almost useless and that's what ***** us.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Yeah someone known (DMG or something, don't recall really) made a vid on it. Completely forgot the name of the either the thread or the vid though.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Lol guys you can get out of nado,it just has to be moving.
If it's moving down go up, if left go right, if right go left, if up get *****.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Well, yeah, but if you're playing in singles, I don't see why Meta Knight would be moving all over the place recklessly with the 'nado if you're already caught inside of it.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Point is : unlike K prime's vid MK has to move to get you in.
And even if you're caught in the tornado often moves up and down.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I've been away from smashboards for quite some time now, and the first thing I see is that movie. Thanks, Kprime, thanks...

Imma gonna train my secondary MK a lot more, now.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Sonic is disjointed but he has poor control over his pressure game compared to Falcon.
This will take some explaining, especially the underlined and bolded part.

Not insisting anything, I swear. I just want to see if there's anything to learn.

AFAIK right now Sonic has fake-outs, cancels, and some (guaranteed?) tech-chase set-ups.

Falcon has...?

... D***, I hate not being all that deeply knowledgeable about Falcon.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Not going against Sonic at all, but compare Falcon's ability to shield pressure, platform pressure and follow up with another attack while utilizing his fastfalling options to Sonic's own. Though Sonic's options are arguably better for tech chasing- his pressure options aside from his bair are rather poor.

Falcon can auto cancel a fast fall bair into a buffered dash grab / another aerial. He can auto cancel his uair into a tilt, grab, RAR bair, whatever else seems viable- personally I like charging a downsmash. If they hold up the shield, it'll break or get really, really pressured - rolling behind Falcon gets them punished and it's possible to punish spot-dodges. If they roll away from him, Falcon can safely use the downsmash and have time to react. Random shield pressure options with Falcon are awesome if you mix it up with the downsmash- because if the shield does break - free Falcon Punch. Which I've ended up performing countless times due to the same reason.

Sonic is more useful overall, but his pressure options aren't nearly as decent from my knowledge. His spindash can easily be grabbed if a person knows the timing. His attacks come out rather quickly but have a high cooldown time [like Falcon, but Falcon's aerials auto cancel better for pressuring]- making constant pressure difficult- and his grab is actually better than ours, so I can't say much about that one. He keeps characters limited with his pressure options, that's about it; other than that, they're easy to punish.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Sonic runs away better. Falcon kinda gets more reward for taking a few risks. Neither character has an easy time killing.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I've played Sonic competitively for some time, and the reason I stopped using him is... I can't kill with him. I just can't.

So it's either me that sucks at using Sonic, or Falcon can KO a lot easier than Sonic. Compare killing moves.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
They both suck at kills honestly, but Falcon objectively does have more legit KO setups. Only problem is either they kill at REALLY high percents, or they're probably set up by N-air, which has crap priority and requires godly precision to nail consistently. And then Falcon actually has some powerful and safe kill moves that are very hard to land on a cautious opponent, but still worth using due to their safety.

While Sonic...he just wants to land random stuff and hope it kills you.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Um, Marth's Fsmash has cinematic hitlag, you nen it has regular hit lag where you can SDI it.

hitlag is basically the points where you are within the "i just got slapped" animation. The tornado however, only gives 1 frame of hitlag. you need 2 frames. 1 frame to put the input, the 2nd frame for it to occur. Since the tornado hits every 2 frames and has a hitlag of 1, you cannot SDI the tornado.

The reason people get out is due to DI which alters the trajectory, not the placement of the character, and so they escape during the initial and final hits of the tornado which have greater KB.

Not going against Sonic at all, but compare Falcon's ability to shield pressure, platform pressure and follow up with another attack while utilizing his fastfalling options to Sonic's own. Though Sonic's options are arguably better for tech chasing- his pressure options aside from his bair are rather poor.
Falcon cana pply pressure to the shield without being grabbed? Last I checked, even a crossup Uair still gets grabbed/punished due to poor shieldstun.
on the platfrm yeah, his Uair is sexy. I touch myself at night sexy.
I wish I had it, instead I use Fair.
in terms of direct shield pressure Sonic can actually lock someone within their shield.
down B~>grab=100% successful.
They get stuck in shieldstun.
So eh?

Falcon can auto cancel a fast fall bair into a buffered dash grab / another aerial. He can auto cancel his uair into a tilt, grab, RAR bair, whatever else seems viable- personally I like charging a downsmash. If they hold up the shield, it'll break or get really, really pressured - rolling behind Falcon gets them punished and it's possible to punish spot-dodges. If they roll away from him, Falcon can safely use the downsmash and have time to react. Random shield pressure options with Falcon are awesome if you mix it up with the downsmash- because if the shield does break - free Falcon Punch. Which I've ended up performing countless times due to the same reason.
i think you're overestimating the amount of shield stun. The oppoennt can always use an OOS option (outside of yoshi which makes Falcon's shield pressure game so much fun to use on him.).

As soon as they use an OOS option they can just toss an attack out, and because of how short ranged Bair is they don't really have to worry about being struck by it so much.

I have also never managed to crack someone's shield simply because they abuse their OOS options and I cant rush in without risking punishment.

Sonic is more useful overall, but his pressure options aren't nearly as decent from my knowledge. His spindash can easily be grabbed if a person knows the timing. His attacks come out rather quickly but have a high cooldown time [like Falcon, but Falcon's aerials auto cancel better for pressuring]- making constant pressure difficult- and his grab is actually better than ours, so I can't say much about that one. He keeps characters limited with his pressure options, that's about it; other than that, they're easy to punish.
Spindash is a TERRIBLE way to approach someone directly.
It is why one typically uses the aerial version of Down B for direct attacks. It has shieldstun, locks the person in for a grab, can be jump canceled making it perfectly safe. Can be canceled upon landing (LOL@snake'smines).

Sonic can use his Bair as well as a cross up Fair and still not be punished.
bair due to tipper foot meaning anything they toss out is avoided and then punished due to ******** dash speed.
Fair goes into a double jump and if used ina c ross up is just so sexy.

Either way, both characters have issues killing, but I honestly think Sonic has an easier time simply because of the fact that he does not risk nearly as much as Falcon does with his kill moves.

@BL: It is because Sonic works off of indirect pressure. Think like Lucario, he isn't necessarily moving directly to pressure you into a kill move. Sonic just waits and punishes.
I can't hellp but think Sonic is a faster, better version of Falcon, minus the epic knee.
IMO Fox stole Sonic's Usmash.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
That all made perfect sense, IMO... but wtf, Fox and Sonic's Usmash?

(also, good falcons also have to wait and punish, heh)

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Oi, not even going to bother making a response to that right now.

@BigLord; Yes, a good Falcon should be punishing more than being stupid and running into things. He has the range and ability to pressure at close range, even though his options are limited and really bad. Falcon is never really safe, but I guess people just fail to realize how whole bait -> punish routine is suppose to be played out with him.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Of course sometimes you SHOULD follow up, when you see you can KO someone.

i.e. when the opponent is returning to the stage and you can easily KO him with a uair (if your uair isn't very stale).

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Of course sometimes you SHOULD follow up, when you see you can KO someone.

i.e. when the opponent is returning to the stage and you can easily KO him with a uair (if your uair isn't very stale).
Whatever you do with falcon, it is a guess. (Aside from the select few real combo's' second hit)

Keep that in mind.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I'm not sure.

I've incorporated down throw -> knee on Battlefield now. I've already stated it in another thread awhile back, but it's one of the best punishing setups possible on that stage. If they don't tech, they can get kneed during the bouncing animation or however they decide to get up; an attack, roll or normal stand up, all punishable by the knee.

If they DO tech, you can land a knee if you time it properly, but chances are they'll tech and hold in the shield. If you wait, you can let them waste their shield a bit then follow up with a knee when you think they're going to drop it. Even if it DOES hit their shield, it has a chance of pressuring them off the platform, so you can follow-up with something else.

It's a win-win setup.

Top Bottom