• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BC Melee Rankings: Late Fall 2012

Patooty

Smash Ace
Japanese training = not playing
lol

I'll be playing seriouslies when I get back though. I stopped trying to be good at this game like 6 years ago and have been coasting on natural instinct/playing for fun since then. This feels like a real return for me, I'm looking forward to it :bee:

Metà

Smash Master
If Evan is higher because he beat Tony 80 times then The Beef should be higher because he beat Tony like 10x more.
which was how long ago???? like 5 years????

i have a 4-0 record against him in the last two tournaments we've been to

john you seem hella biased against me, i don't get it. I don't suck anymore.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Haha, I feel like John's just trolling now. Meta imo is a cut above the players below him. I think Tony is better, but he sure hasn't been playing like it.

:phone:

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Haha I wouldn't mind seeing a Patooty panelist. But probably you should come out to an event first?

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Yes Evan I hate you. Seriously... you get inputs from someone and its not in your favor so instantly that person hates you. Its exactly like Roby. Everyone thinks I hate the guy because I never ranked him high in my PR opinion.

I think everyone here is worse then Sion therefore I hate all of you.

Manuel im not fighting that Tony is better then Evan or not because I think he is still better. Its Evan and Yakal.

Soooo just going back to the whole David thing... He beats Tony 5 years ago who at the time was around 4th-5th about 10 tourneys in a row and never got past 9th place on the PR. You beat him today in 2 tourneys when he IMO is around 4th-5th place and get super credit for it.
Yakal went to NWM and beat Westballs who IMO is 10x better then Tony.

Also pretty sure I played you Evan at MITH 2 and was doing fine against you with Fox. Yakal definitely gives me a lot more trouble.

Nathan should also be close to top 10.

Metà

Smash Master
Sorry I took things personally, John, but I always got the feeling you never though highly of me. But I'll retract what I said before.

Yakal and I are fairly close, and depending on what angle you look at it from, either of us could be the better player. The fact he beat Westballz is impressive as hell; I can't really make a claim to something like that. However, do you think Adam deserves a spot higher for beating Silent Wolf recently? Consistency is pretty key here--as far as I can remember, every event we've both been to (including out of state), I've placed higher.

"But x player gives me more trouble than y in friendlies" is an exemplary logical fallacy when we're talking about rankings of any sort. The PR is, and always has been, based on tournament performance. I'll concede he very well may be a better player than me overall, but for the most part I play better when it matters, I guess.

Patooty

Smash Ace
changes? like what? sounds interesting spill the beans
Thank you for your interest, friend!

There are 2 issues on the PR that I want to address in the immediate future.

1. The powers that be.
For this point I want to do 2 things. First, I want to officially make clear who is making the PR decisions. I've noticed that whenever it comes time to update the PR, a panelist may very well not be a panelist as their is no distinction to the thought given to a panelist's list, or a non-panelist's list. At other times, a panelist's list will be law and non-panelists will find there is little wiggle-room in one person's opinion.

As it stands now, a panelist's word should be law in regards to the making PR decisions. By that I mean that it is what the rules set out, but the rule is not followed. I want to both solidify the panelist's power, and soften the power that they have. We solidify power by making clear what influence(s) a panelist has. And after we set the boundaries, it is followed until we decide to change the balance of powers. We soften their powers by officially giving voting power to the people (non-panelists).

This will help us tremendously in maintaining consistency in our decisions, leaves nobody out of the decision-making process, distributes power, and makes very clear what each person's contributions are.

2. Punctuality
I want to fix the fact that it takes an undetermined amount of time to update the PR. As it stands currently, when the final tournament is finished (eg. in this case, after the May tournament), and the community decides it's time for an update, nobody knows when it will actually get updated. It usually takes a long time as nobody wants to update it until all the heat is settled. Even then, it's not fully settled. People just give-in and say "ok, whatever" for the sake of an update.

How do we fix these problems?
Simply - introduce a system that addresses these 2 issues firmly.

First we officially distribute power. As it stands, the panelists officially hold 100% of the voting power. We cut this down to something like 70%, and give 30% of the voting power to non-panelists. Yes I believe that panelists should hold that much more influence, at least at the moment. Panelists should have been chosen to properly assess people in relation to other people. Choose your panelists wisely. This also helps to prevent trolling the system. The 30% that's given to the people means that if less people vote, each person has more power. Once the people can demonstrate a mature level of contribution and minimum level of trolling, the balance of power may be changed if warranted.
This both distributes power, and makes a very clear distinction of each person's contributions.

Second, we set a date for when the votes will be counted. Ideally this will be enough days after the final tournament for enough arguments to be had and opinions to be changed. After everybody gets to speak their piece, the votes get counted on the determined date and the list is updated. If you haven't voted by this date then you haven't voted. Panelists are required to vote at the risk of losing their position. Non-panelists may or may not vote at their own discretion. Votes are counted and tallied according to the balance of power.

TL;DR - Distribute power, update on time.

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
^^ ***** namesearchin'

yeah you do suck, quit the game forever

also imma move to socal for a week, house me. plz

We generally update every season
I believe that is what we decided on, right now the PR on the front page is winter
so this next update will be spring
so on and so forth

Otherwise I agree with everything else

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
I put friendlies on my statement just because that I haven't played either of you in a tourney for awhile.

BTW omg oompaloompas... I thought that was Ryan at first. But I also played your Falcon westballz even if it was teams its still a lot better then Dieslow is currently.

You guys can also do Ranbats (Ranking Battles) and just have every tourney top 10 players gets points and to prevent it from getting out of hands with to many points. Each season you can reset the points. Its probably the easiest and also shows consistency of who should be where.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
You guys can also do Ranbats (Ranking Battles) and just have every tourney top 10 players gets points and to prevent it from getting out of hands with to many points. Each season you can reset the points. Its probably the easiest and also shows consistency of who should be where.
yea thats how they do it in japan

hahaha jesus everyone has westballz's avatar this is ridiculous. it's like reading cyrain and lovage posts back to back

**** is impossible

WestBallz

Smash Ace
that teams match mmmmm lol but yeah yakal if i had a place i would def house u but i dont so maybe sung could prolly house u and i live like 10-15min away from him and hes a homie to.

weon - X

Smash Ace
is diakonos coming to east coast?

also how many of you are attending impulse? theres some big names coming :p

also madJ is sex give him back!!!!

Diakonos

Smash Lord
is diakonos coming to east coast?

also how many of you are attending impulse? theres some big names coming :p

also madJ is sex give him back!!!!
I'm going to McGill for a master's (2 years) and probably to UofT for a PhD (4 years). But I'm going to Ottawa for the whole summer before heading to Montreal.

Violence

Smash Lord
I mean, I'm going to be at Stronghold for most of Saturday, and I think we can hold a small fest there. Worst case scenario, we'd have to go upstairs, but I don't see that happening, personally.

Is anyone down?

Top Bottom