• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Guitarists Ever

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
The one from In Flames, whoever he is. Don't believe me? Listen to Suburban Me, very impressive.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Jimmy Page. Crimson, I know you have this whole thing with Led Zeppelin about how King Crimson influenced them so much, etc. but his genius as a musician can't be denied and I'll defend it to the mountains. His diversity transcended speeds, genres and eras and that's something that can't be ignored.

James Iha and Billy Corgan deserve honorable mentions IMO. I know none of you will agree with me, but w/e.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Page is a great guitarist with his composition. Check out the Yardbirds to see him at his best with Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton.

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
"Best ever" discussions are pretty pointless, but even so I'm disappointed that nobody has mentioned Frank Zappa yet. Especially with the mention of compositional skills--he may not be the best guitarist ever (he's not) but he's a ****ed fine writer of music.

Just because I'm a Radiohead fanboy: Jonny Greenwood. My favorites are not necessarily the best. I am willing to admit this.

Also, Jeff Beck is a wonderful, wonderful man.

Clapton sucked after Yardbirds and Cream. There, I said it.
Derek and the Dominos.

PRINCE...............
Watch this. It's Prince along with Tom Petty and a few others playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and it's phenomenal. I didn't realize that Prince was anything more than a goofy pop musician until I saw this video.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Prince's solol in that song was pretty interesting.

Watch this. It's Prince along with Tom Petty and a few others playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and it's phenomenal. I didn't realize that Prince was anything more than a goofy pop musician until I saw this video.
Agreed

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Surprised nobody's mentioned Al Di Meola. He's got some insane speed in his playing, and his composition is extremely polished.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Herman Li is the god guitarist! It's just my preference of music but I think Dragonforce is very talented.

But I will admit that their song schemes lack powerful lyrics, but hey, the niche is their ability to play retardingly fast...and sound videogamish!

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Claudio Sanchez. My wii is nicknamed after him :) no joke
No.

Di Meola is pretty good, but he's basically just a shredder... I've always found his playing to be very one-dimensional.

Brookman

Smash Hero
My opinion is that Weird Al should be on this list. Not because he's a great guitarist(he isn't one for that matter) but becuse he is Weird Al.

ggmax

Smash Cadet
do brookman and zoso know about life?

Maybe not the best guitar player, but certainly an amazing composer.

ok then, Travis Stever :)

ZoSo

Smash Champion
do brookman and zoso know about life?

Maybe not the best guitar player, but certainly an amazing composer.

ok then, Travis Stever :)
Do you know anything about music?

If you did, you'd know that Stever and Sanchez are both doing the same **** that rock guitarists have been doing for the past 30+ years.

Sanchez is a respectable singer, but he is not an amazing guitarist by any stretch of the imagination.

I won't comment on his abilities as a composer, but suffice to say that I don't particularly care for his music.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
The best guitarist are Steve Howe (of Yes, also my personal favorite guitarist of all time), Geddy Lee (of Rush, because everyone in Rush is amazing), and Elliott Randall (who did the guitar solo in Reelin' in the Years, a song by Steely Dan. Jimmy Page has even said that the guitar solo in this song is his favorite guitar solo of all time).

Best songwriter/guitarist is Pete Townshend. Hands down.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I saw the Wooten family back in december. During the show one guy had a seizure (I think?) Anyway, with that said I don't think I need to elaborate on the quality of the show. There were some really amazing players in the crowd though, seeing as he handed his bass to people towards the front of the crowd, one person who got it wasn't all that great though. Still, being put on the spot like that I think they all did really well.

ggmax

Smash Cadet
tru. I was basing my opinion of wooten from his solo and bela fleck stuff ive seen/heard. very cool stuff. but yeah, people playing on the spot... too cool.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I saw the Wooten family back in december. During the show one guy had a seizure (I think?) Anyway, with that said I don't think I need to elaborate on the quality of the show. There were some really amazing players in the crowd though, seeing as he handed his bass to people towards the front of the crowd, one person who got it wasn't all that great though. Still, being put on the spot like that I think they all did really well.
Then he took his bass back and played all their solos at the same time twice as fast and backwards.

EDIT: With his feet.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Then he took his bass back and played all their solos at the same time twice as fast and backwards.

EDIT: With his feet.
Actually, he got his bass back then played some really sloppy neo-neo-neo-classical ****.

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
Buckethead - one of the best when it comes to solos and guitar-only pieces (Jordan, Night of the Slunk)

Tom Morello - a very funky style and many cool effect sounds made with the killswitch and other experimentations he's done with his guitars.

Les Claypool - the craziest guy in music, and certainly one of the best bassists.

Kirk Hammett - he carried Metallica's legacy with his amazing solos, fast or slow.
WOOH! to Les Claypool. he is incredible. Geese, people listen to one primus song and say it's terible. OK, it's...starnge, but incredible. To the on going discusion about Dragonforce. Yes, they are incredible at their instruments. But, if they were to write something as slow as...let's say, "Angie" by the rolling stones, or even " Layla" a relatively fast song by Eric Clapton, they would just crumble.

Kirk Hammet, he was incredible. Listening to "master of puppets", the incredible transitions from fast to slow are...just incredible. I personaly dont like Metalica, but he is just so good.

John Pertrucii- Another shredder who is incredible at almost all tempos. Everyone from Dream theater is amazing. He took the classical song " flight of the bumble bee", and played it on his guitar. Very cool.

saberhof

Smash Master
Van halen, Eric Clapton, Jimmy hendrix, Slash, Jimmy Page, Brian May(queen), Jeff Beck, George harrison, Joe Satriani, Ted Nugent,Terry Kath, Angus Young, Steve howe(hes from the band Yes), Tonny Iommi, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Pete Townshend, Frank Zappa, Tom Morello, Carlos santana, Joe walsh, Chuck Berry, B.B.King, Michael Angelo Batio.

Those Are My Choices.

Brookman

Smash Hero
WOOH! to Les Claypool. he is incredible. Geese, people listen to one primus song and say it's terible. OK, it's...starnge, but incredible. To the on going discusion about Dragonforce. Yes, they are incredible at their instruments. But, if they were to write something as slow as...let's say, "Angie" by the rolling stones, or even " Layla" a relatively fast song by Eric Clapton, they would just crumble.

Kirk Hammet, he was incredible . Listening to "master of puppets", the incredible transitions from fast to slow are...just incredible. I personaly dont like Metalica, but he is just so good.

John Pertrucii- Another shredder who is incredible at almost all tempos. Everyone from Dream theater is amazing (that was dragonforce ****). He took the classical song " flight of the bumble bee", and played it on his guitar. Very cool.
lol, adjectives.

Van halen, Eric Clapton, Jimmy hendrix, Slash, Jimmy Page, Brian May(queen), Jeff Beck, George harrison, Joe Satriani, Ted Nugent,Terry Kath, Angus Young, Steve howe(hes from the band Yes), Tonny Iommi, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Pete Townshend, Frank Zappa, Tom Morello, Carlos santana, Joe walsh, Chuck Berry, B.B.King, Michael Angelo Batio.

Those Are My Choices.
I really like Petrucci, cause he actually has musician ship, as opposed to the noobs in dragonforce. I'm not that big a fan of Santana, I just don't really like his music though I think he is good. Why did you leave SRV out?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
People who leave SRV is because he is easily confused in name with Vai.

Also, Petrucci, while technically amazing, sucks in stage presence. I have G3 when it was him, Vai and Satch. Unfortunately for him when they did the improv section I can't remember if he was 2nd or 3rd but I just remember Satch blowing him away in stage presence and Vai dominating both. It really takes me out of it watching him play.

B.B. King, while a legend, isn't the greatest of guitarists. Most of his stuff is just two chords. Now, watch all 3 King brothers play, that's different.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Also, Petrucci, while technically amazing, sucks in stage presence. I have G3 when it was him, Vai and Satch. Unfortunately for him when they did the improv section I can't remember if he was 2nd or 3rd but I just remember Satch blowing him away in stage presence and Vai dominating both. It really takes me out of it watching him play.
True, but the same thing happens every year.

Case in point:

Take note: Satch and Vai look like jungle beasts, while Johnson just looks like a pansy.

Also, PAUL GILBERT ON THE NEXT G3 = WTFCRAZYGONUTS. No Vai, though. :(

For the sake of novelty, I'm just gonna throw these names out there: Rusty Cooley, Francesco Fareri, Kei Fujimoto. Check them out on Youtube if you could use a good laugh. :)

_V_

Smash Ace
John Scofield.

Haha Brookman and Zoso you guys would be here.

Edit// What is with all this shred **** love? Just because you can play fast that doesn't make you good...case in point: Dragonforce.

And there are thousands of guitarists out there better than any mainstream artist and by that I mean studio musicians.

Also, what about classical guitarists like John Williams? I guess it's really all a matter of opinion.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
My choices would be Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Jimmi Hendrix, and George Harrison.

Clapton because he has some really great work with Cream and is an okay solo artist.

David Gilmour because he was great with Pink Floyd (one of the best bands of all time ;)).

Jimmi Hendrix because.... Because.... Because he's Jimmi Hendrix.

And George Harrison because I wanted to suggest four people and he's a good guitarist (from the small bit I've heard of him).

ZoSo

Smash Champion
David Gilmour
First person to mention Gilmour. :)

John Scofield.

Haha Brookman and Zoso you guys would be here.

Edit// What is with all this shred **** love? Just because you can play fast that doesn't make you good...case in point: Dragonforce.

And there are thousands of guitarists out there better than any mainstream artist and by that I mean studio musicians.

Also, what about classical guitarists like John Williams? I guess it's really all a matter of opinion.
<3 V.

Scofield and Williams are indeed beastly. And yes, everybody has their own ideas about what makes a guitarist great or "the best." I could name dozens of players who have yet to be mentioned but are all amazing or great in their own way.

On a somewhat related note: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3EvcL4hc4Jc

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Also on a somewhat related note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCnPpn1OFTU

Interesting, to say the least.

I've realised that people's reactions to Dragonforce are the same to Bombsoldier. At first: "ZOMG HOW AMAZING. So fast and technical and cool!" Now: "Teh suck. It's just fast technique." I'm starting to think I'm one of the only people that still likes and has admiration for Dragonforce and Bombsoldier. Yeah, I know they're both just fast technique, but ****, it's really impressive to listen to/watch.

Top Bottom