• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Sonic Stage

shadepaw

Smash Apprentice
I'm a casual player that would like to improve on my skills, and also likes to make stages. So I was wondering, what would be the 'perfect' or best stage for Sonic. If there isn't a select, why not make one?

So I'm asking, what would be a good design for a custom stage that'd give Sonic the advantage?

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
I say Battle Field and Smashville.
IMO almost any stage that has a flat base and u can fall off. Also aleast 1 platform but not too many.

evilpikachu

Smash Rookie
I think that the best stage is final DES because sonic can go invincivle by under the stage. It a glitch and hears how it works, first almost fall down a little then jump twice DO NOT USE YOUR UP B then start using your b for your stock life

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Final Destination is the Best non banned stage for Sonic.

It gives Sonic the most Horizontal running room, allowing for maximum combo room and evasion ability.

Since Sonic can't kill conventionally, it won't really affect your ability to kill anything...conventionally

Its high ceiling lets sonic's recovery be used to its full potential, and allows uair kills at about 100%-135%

Sonic can Homing Stall here. (Yeah I know banned)

The "death trap" under each side of the edge will kill others sometimes, but with your spring jump and wall jump ability, you can survive, even if the Upb doesn't reach the edge in terms of vertical if you use this area. In other words, Sonic can last very long in this stage.

For these reasons, Most competant smashers will ban FD against any competant sonic player, especially in tournaments.

Cazitha_90

Smash Rookie
What about The Bridge of Eldin? It's a great stage and is the best stage for for Sonic's speed and mobility, I find myself cramped in Final Destination, though I still fight alright.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
What about The Bridge of Eldin? It's a great stage and is the best stage for for Sonic's speed and mobility, I find myself cramped in Final Destination, though I still fight alright.
but eldin is banned. play it causal, but you dont wanna have that be your most comfortable stage then find out you cant play it in a tourney.

Tenki

Smash Hero
FD (not because of the space, but because of lack of platforms).
Smashville (even though the fraekin balloon always blocks my springs)

counterpick wise, i think Halberd, Norfair, and (sometimes) PS1 are nice. And I guess pictochat, if that's allowed. Norfair, PS1 and Pictochat all allow for airdash as a counterapproach since you're invincible <3

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Pokemon stadium 2

also, can we please get our head out of our ***** and ****ing only have ONE OF THESE THREADS
every few weeks a random kid makes one of these

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
I think that the best stage is final DES because sonic can go invincivle by under the stage. It a glitch and hears how it works, first almost fall down a little then jump twice DO NOT USE YOUR UP B then start using your b for your stock life
lol that isn't legal in competitive play and they could always dodge or get out of your range so you 45 degree urself to death >_< lol

and i love FD but besides that stage other stages give sonic an advantage (sonic's, mario kart, and bridge of elden even tho its a banned stage) those stages i think are very good for sonic because it disregards sonic's lack of power to KO and makes it easier to kill/throw somebody off the side of the stages in low %'s. since we can punish other characters so bad and also escape if we're in a tight situation via spring or running speed =D

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol that isn't legal in competitive play and they could always dodge or get out of your range so you 45 degree urself to death >_< lol

and i love FD but besides that stage other stages give sonic an advantage (sonic's, mario kart, and bridge of elden even tho its a banned stage) those stages i think are very good for sonic because it disregards sonic's lack of power to KO and makes it easier to kill/throw somebody off the side of the stages in low %'s. since we can punish other characters so bad and also escape if we're in a tight situation via spring or running speed =D
Actually, it's a good thing if they go out of range, because Homing Stall, if done correctly, will travel the direction you're facing if noone's in range. When they're in range and you're in the middle of the stage is what I hate. I use 1-2bounce Homing-stalls to recover sometimes.

Now, on counterpicks...

Brinstar. Discuss.

HMD

Smash Journeyman
Smashville no because if there on the floating platform and ur on the ground can spindash up and destroy them

R4ZE

Smash Ace
FD is sonic's best stage. As stated before: the lack of platforms is one thing.

Another: sonic's recovery is best.
-it is possible to grab sonic when he uses UP-B, if done correctly sonic can be gimp killed much like snake when he uses his UP-B. BUT in FD, you can use UP-B into the lip and wall jump to the stage, thus preventing a gimp. and in all other situations, you can just use up-b further away, or use a different move to recover.

-platforms make it different for timing sonic's Dair and commonly cause (atleast me) to hit the landing delay.

I dont know about u guys, but whenever i play on platforms, I'm always trying to get to the ground floor, being on a platform is always a disadvantage because they can run under you and hyphen, Utilt, or jump at you and aerial... and there isnt much you can do but avoid it if you are standing on a platform. Especially with sonic, he has no moves that hit below a platform.

I find myself just ASC'ing between or under the platforms, and just staying off them... all in all they just are a big wall for me that I try to avoid... The only cool thing is that Sonic can abuse the same advantages of them (U smash, utilt, Fair, Uair)

but all in all.... much easier to play on nice, flat, solid FD.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
agreed ^

and once again i didn't know that smash lord tenki haha thanks for the info much appreciated. so its actually better that they are out of range (like jump up and UP B) becuz when they are sonic isn't stuck HA'ing in the same place but actually moves?? thats interesting.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Now, on counterpicks...

Brinstar. Discuss.
Stuff shouldn't be ignored. Nothing will save the Sonic forums lol.
Yes I know FD and Smashville are good stages, it doesn't need over 20 posts of re-iteration.

Personally, I have a bias against that level because I don't like the layout or stage interferences. I find getting momentum on that level pretty hard because Sonic's a momentum player. There's not enough room on the top platform for Sonic to safetly coax and opening to attack, and from there continue an attack, and if you're attacking on the bottom floor the acid comes up once in a while then your momentum's gone and you're back to stage one.
It's got a fairly low ceiling which is good for U-air kills at lower percents though. :3
I prefer Frigate Orpheon really, that's generally considered counterpick right?

And to Deathwish yeah, you don't stay in one spot, you travel in the direction that you're facing.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
oooo ok thats pretty sick i didn't know that =/ but if they do dodge you do go into the 45 degree angle despite them being out of range...or no? i hope i didn't confuse you.

anyways yeah brinstar...meeeh i wouldn't like to play on it >_< like roy pretty much said it. i like flat stages where you can abuse your running speed/spindashes ^_^ and in brinstar since there are a bunch of platforms it kinda sucks for sonic but you can really abuse uair and fair i guess and if you get in trouble you could spring to the upper platforms and escape a tight spot i guess but besides that i wouldn't like to play with sonic there =/

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
I played a friendly against a Snake mainer on Brinstar. It was too funny. He grabbed me on the little platform and downgrabbed me,I rolled away and he grabbed me again. I rolled the other way and he still grabbed me. I truly lol'd. Finally was able to spring out of there.XD

Tenki

Smash Hero
oooo ok thats pretty sick i didn't know that =/ but if they do dodge you do go into the 45 degree angle despite them being out of range...or no? i hope i didn't confuse you.

anyways yeah brinstar...meeeh i wouldn't like to play on it >_< like roy pretty much said it. i like flat stages where you can abuse your running speed/spindashes ^_^ and in brinstar since there are a bunch of platforms it kinda sucks for sonic but you can really abuse uair and fair i guess and if you get in trouble you could spring to the upper platforms and escape a tight spot i guess but besides that i wouldn't like to play with sonic there =/
If they dodge, you go in the direction you're facing.

Brinstar is nice because, like Halberd, you can go under the stage and go through it, except it's not as obvious because the under-stage is such a large graphic. You can also jump+F-air and destroy the bridge, or smash 3 times and set up an airdash platform (sides).

Also, most people tend to not practice on that stage because they dislike it, and get sloppy/psyched out. I'm still experimenting with this a bit.

The sides are also closer to the stage, and someone being bounced off the spring can = death off the ceiling ;D

I played a friendly against a Snake mainer on Brinstar. It was too funny. He grabbed me on the little platform and downgrabbed me,I rolled away and he grabbed me again. I rolled the other way and he still grabbed me. I truly lol'd. Finally was able to spring out of there.XD
I actually got the idea of cping Brinstar from looking through a Snake stage discussion. Good Snakes have certain tricks there, and I guess Sonic does too.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
i think great bay is sonics best stage.
???

@Tenki: You can abuse the floor in brinstar pretty well like delfino and halberd. I usually don't like levels like brinstar though for Sonic because it forces you to rely on your aerial game too much for approaching. Any suggestions? I'm also thinking that it's good to split the floor if you're Sonic... you can't grab the ledges and sonic's recovery is too good... so some characters might easily be gimped in the middle.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
Ehh... YEA OMG GREAT BAY IS SO MY FAV.!!...yea that was alittle funny.

Anywho yea Smash Lord Tenki gots a nice ring to it huh?

But on topic kinda yea brinstar is based on areial game kinda. But thats kinda good a opponet may be use to the mix of spindashes and ground game from Sonic. Most might not expect to great a air game.

And darknes that acctually may be of some sorta style for brinstar nice idea.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I made a quick level which essentially large size, with giant blocks across the entire length (bar one block space either side of the edge). Spent heaps of time here perfect Sonic super rolling and other techniques, but its also ridiculously in his favour for matches. So much room.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Good thing about Brinstar though is you can air dash :O

@dnes, I think given the strength of Sonic's uair that Brinstar isn't so bad. Juggling galore :O
Also, his aerial approaches are not that bad and the only real disadvantage is that some of his spin dash combos become harder to use.

Tenki

Smash Hero
You can airdash on the turtle too!

Anywho yea Smash Lord Tenki gots a nice ring to it huh?

But on topic kinda yea brinstar is based on areial game kinda. But thats kinda good a opponet may be use to the mix of spindashes and ground game from Sonic. Most might not expect to great a air game.

And darknes that acctually may be of some sorta style for brinstar nice idea.
..no. screw titles, I just post alot. I'm far from what I want to be able to do, smashwise. I just test stuff so the better players do more amazing things.

On Brinstar, you have to keep in mind:
- "walls" on the edges that protect you from projectiles (the breakable mucus things). You can also hit them to unstale your moves via jab. 3 smashes will destroy it.
- Smaller horizontal distance to KO wall.
- Smaller vertical distance (To give an idea, U-throw will kill a no-DI Marth at 150%, 170%, and 190% from the top to bottom platforms, whereas it's around 190-200%ish on Final D)
- Breakable 'bridge'. It's easy to get caught in rolls if you damage the sides of the bridge but don't absolutely destroy it. Learn to take advantage of it when reading your opponents' rolls while avoiding doing a dash/roll/spindash into it yourself.
- Regen times: approx. 30 seconds for a 'wall' to regen, 12-15 seconds for bridge (broken) to re-link again, 2 seconds of uninterrupted bridge for bridge to start repairing itself.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
my fav is personaly BF theres moe options, and theres always the off chance of an upthrow kill from the top platform

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Nice double post kid, there's and edit button for a reason

Anyway, BF requires a different style of play. HA has to be used completely different in order to work, than compared to FD where you have nothing blocking it.

There's always a "chance" of an upthrow to uair sky kill when your opponent doesn't Di, which you're probably used to because you only play scrubs.

A Sonic's options really all depends on how a players uses him, not really by the stage.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Nice double post kid, there's and edit button for a reason

Anyway, BF requires a different style of play. HA has to be used completely different in order to work, than compared to FD where you have nothing blocking it.

There's always a "chance" of an upthrow to uair sky kill when your opponent doesn't Di, which you're probably used to because you only play scrubs.

A Sonic's options really all depends on how a players uses him, not really by the stage.
he might have been talking about a pure U-throw kill

lol

Top Bottom