• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Sonic Stage

R4ZE

Smash Ace
hey malcolm, public appology. I'm sorry for the comments that i made about you earlier in this thread, that was un called for.

I em also sorry for starting the e-drama in this thread.

But FD... is still sonics best stage =P

I usually use HA for recovery, because it can go further than sonic's up-b without using a jump (when homing toward a ledge gaurding opponent). Plus no chance of getting stage seizured, because u can still HA or up-b after u get grab-released out of HA. It still works fine as a recovery on BF.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
LMAO I should come to the bi-weekly. I'm gonna see if I can make it...it will be the Sonic GATHERING! How far from the city is this Bi-weekly?

On a sidenote: NY and NYC are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AREAS...or might as well be since they never play each other loooool

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
how do i john, if someone legit beats me i admit it. do you think i john just because i was sandbagging? you can ask anyone that saw me play, everyone knew i was madd late for work that day...

but on topic: i hate PS2, all i ever do is double spring on the air stage.other than that the whole stage is just a thorn in my side.
but i will be trying out PS1 and brinstar as CP and ill tell you how well i do on them.

chains, ill be back around 4 with the info you need

EDIT: i dont believe your claim about FD because i still believe it promotes campers and projectiles more than us, but we can agree to disagree.
and yes upstate NY might as well be seattle, for all the correspondence that we have with NYC
and yes, everyone with in 8 hours should show up for this biweekly. we already have 3 dudes here that play sonic. itll be super lulzy. and we are about 6.5 hours from NYC

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
you did say you were going to post this like 12 hours prior, i'm schedualed to work that Saturday, and i'm hosting my own tournament the next day

Tenki

Smash Hero
truth

aight, back on topic...
I Played a few FFAs last night, so it was hard to tell, but i have mad faith in tenki, so i will be CPing brinstar for my next tourney, i seem to do well on it, PS2 im still unsure of.
I thought he was talking about PS1, not 2.

`.`; good luck lol. Brinstar is still my experimental baby lol. I tried it in wifi matches against a Dedede player (Vex K) that could 2stock me on neutral levels and pulled a bare win. It helps against chaingrabs xD. Also tried it against AlphaZealot's Diddy Kong (standing behind the 'mucus walls' protected me from some banana throws, and again, I barely won the round when he'd 2-3stock me on flat stages).

Don't just use things because I say so, unless you're absolutely comfortable with it XD

Don't be an hero.

edit:
on topic- Ice Cap Zone was like one of the best Sonic stages. I hated Carnival Night Zone because I didn't know how to get past the things that floated up and down. (lol.)

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
edit:
on topic- Ice Cap Zone was like one of the best Sonic stages. I hated Carnival Night Zone because I didn't know how to get past the things that floated up and down. (lol.)
Yeah same here... does anyone know how you beat that part of the level? :/

Tenki

Smash Hero
I found out when I got it in Sonic Mega Collection that you can actually control those things by holding up/down while you're standing on those platforms.

When I was younger, I took the p2 controller and tried to use our combined weight to keep jumping and sacrifice Tails to make it bounce high enough to spindash under it.

`.`; always taking the hard way.

and most of the time, I'd just use debug mode.
up up down down up up up up

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Lulz everyone had the same issue I know I did. I made Tails jump up and down before I spindashed under it. COnsidering I was by myself it was quite a feat to manipulate the CPU.

Then I found out you can hit up and down and a part of me broke.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
:/

I coulda swore I tried that.

Why did they have to make that so damned unintuitive?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
and malcom dont just come to a regular biweekly, wait tiill we have the battle for Western New York. thats the one you should make plans for

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I'd advance my tourney placings.
If there hadn't only been 3 Brawl tournaments in England, ever, none of which I could be bothered to get to.
Let's think of bad stages for a sec. I honestly don't think Battlefield's great for Sonic at all.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
response to roy

i love Bf for sonic, you can clip the platforms with 6 different moves, the ceiling is slightly lower, and its easier to go under the stage seemlessly. when i play my friends on bf, i never let them get to the bottom when they land on a platform with out taking damage. i dont really have an idea of sonics worst stage, i just know i do really bad vs projectiles on BF
also, spinshotting works wonders on Delphino, thats a good but not great stage for him

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I get stuck on Battlefield's platforms cos I'm a nub :')
He's just got no defence if someone's underneath you poking you through the platform.
Again, I suck.
I like Halberd for Sonic, does anybody else? It's mostly because I throw people into the LAHZOR whenever I get the chance.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you can double jump and space a down air to slide right between the top and side platforms on BF

and halberd isnt a halfbad CP for sonic. the dip in the middle deters many forms of camping, and you can up smash through the whole top platform. also, you can do a lot of harassing against ppl from under the stage, and theres always a good chance of returning to the stage and not getting punished. and you wil get your up throw kills at more reasonable %s at certain points in the stage cycle

BTW down throw to laser is epic.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
that was uninspired.
to illustrate my point i ask you to rewatch X's match vs his brother in the X vs. Lada thread, and see how many times X gets ***** by projectiles

Tenki

Smash Hero
@ KID/others with tourney experience:
I fought against some smarter MK's a while ago on wifi, and their favorite counterpick was Battlefield.

How do you fare against a smart MK on BF? Or if you have a different CP, what do you tend to choose against MK?

In case you don't know what gave me trouble, it's aerial tornado. Like, slightly above your head high- and if done from the middle of the stage, can easily reach anywhere inside the stage. Can't land Fsmash or Dsmash on it because it's too high, and can't spring nor D-air because of Battlefield's limitation on those moves.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ill tell you right now bro...
i have absolutely no idea. ive said before, that i dont even bother playing MK with sonic, its just an excercise in futility. i play lucario specifically for that matchup. but what i do is that
1. you can try to spring and fall as slow as possible so as to timeout the tornado. dont down air
2. my personal choice most of the time, run. it works for a lot of moves, but if you have the space, just run away.
3. learn to shield-shift. if your shield is fresh, you can block the whole thing, but most good MK's will try to place the tornado so as to shield stab you. so you need to learn to tilt your shield around so you can block the whole thing.

other than that, your pretty much effed, just like how you would be in this matchup anyway

Tenki

Smash Hero
ill tell you right now bro...
i have absolutely no idea. ive said before, that i dont even bother playing MK with sonic, its just an excercise in futility. i play lucario specifically for that matchup. but what i do is that
1. you can try to spring and fall as slow as possible so as to timeout the tornado. dont down air
2. my personal choice most of the time, run. it works for a lot of moves, but if you have the space, just run away.
3. learn to shield-shift. if your shield is fresh, you can block the whole thing, but most good MK's will try to place the tornado so as to shield stab you. so you need to learn to tilt your shield around so you can block the whole thing.

other than that, your pretty much effed, just like how you would be in this matchup anyway
Really? `.`;

I beat this horrid spammy MK in a set + 2 more friendlies (not so much tornado as it was up-B and down-B) but I was able to avoid Battlefield.

He was almost as bad as the guy in the vid. :urg:

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Seems odd that MKs counterpick would be battlefield...he has tons of stages he can take you to and man-handle you. Rainbow Cruise, Luigis, Halbred and I am sure the list goes on.

But if aerial tornado is your problem then you are in the same boat as most people who play the game...lol. It's something that is so situational it's hard to explain how to get around it. I've heard that the best DI is no DI when your in it....I just know from my experience that UP does not work. It only holds you in it longer. I think it has alot to do with which way you are going and SDI'ing the other, but most people (myself included) dont have the patience for it. But yeah yo...to piggy back on what KID said you have to learn to angle your shield. Angle it up and you'll take the whole tornado with no stab (This is only with a fresh shield....tornado will **** your shield)

As for an actual CP against MK....uhhhhh I haven't been able to think of anything to CP against him yet. I played like 4 in a row in tournament once and in all honesty I CP'd Yoshi's. There are far less ledge shenanigans on Yoshi's. The stage doesn't allow as much freedom and the sides seem shorter than BF or FD. That 1 platform tilting constantly can **** up anyones timing so it MAY throw them off in cancelling the Up-B. In all honesty that NEUTRAL is the best CP i can think of....that should just cement the idea of how good MK is. The ghosts can also save your life occasionally which is pleasant and those bumps on the end give sonic's side-b no hop...always fun.

GL tho tenki...MK vs Sonic is a very frustrating endeavor.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
sonic ***** mk, idk wth u guys are always talking about. its an even matchup at worst.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'd like to see a vid of you beating a human MK on Battlefield.

I'll judge the MK's skill as compared to the MK's I've fought on wifi (>_>) and if it's any worse than those guys, then I can't say that you have credibility on the MK matchup. Otherwise, I'll try to learn from your moves.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
sonic ***** mk, idk wth u guys are always talking about. its an even matchup at worst.
the part of me that thinks your joking is laughing pretty hard at this

the part that thinks youre serious will never take any of your input seriously ever again as you must have minimal knowledge of the game...
but the part of me that thinks youre joking still thinks its a good joke and is still laughing
kill me now
what did i say about him?
look at tenki's sig

also, seeing as at this point every TO has their own list of tourney legal stages, many people havent bothered to try any of the CP stages and just stick to the neutral stages that they are best at. thats why i was so surprised to when tenki brought up brinstar, its obvious that its a legal stage, but its just as obvious that it not neutral, and therefore people havent begun to play on it too much

Top Bottom