• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomberman Explodes In Smash 4! We Await for Results

Do you support Bomberman?

• Total voters

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
While I'm not a mod, there is indeed already a Bomberman thread yes. --> http://www.smashboards.com/threads/bombermans-potential-appearance-in-smash-bros.325908/

For future reference use this nice character support threads list Mario & Sonic Guy put together for us kindly if you want to check if character support threads already exist. --> http://smashboards.com/threads/character-discussion-guidelines-listings-e3-2013-update.324452/

But yeah, seeing how Strict Sakurai is in terms of third parties. I'm not very sure if Bomberman is at all likely of making it in.... :/

Vanilla

Smash Apprentice
While I'm not a mod, there is indeed already a Bomberman thread yes. --> http://www.smashboards.com/threads/bombermans-potential-appearance-in-smash-bros.325908/

For future reference use this nice character support threads list Mario & Sonic Guy put together for us kindly if you want to check if character support threads already exist. --> http://smashboards.com/threads/character-discussion-guidelines-listings-e3-2013-update.324452/

But yeah, seeing how Strict Sakurai is in terms of third parties. I'm not very sure if Bomberman is at all likely of making it in.... :/
Awesome, thanks! If any mods see this, feel free to merge the threads or whatever. My apologies for posting in the wrong place.

Vanilla

Smash Apprentice
You're welcome. Yeah if they see it I'm certain they will merge it for you. ^_^
As you can see from my membership date, I kind of take long hiatuses from this forum. Now that I write for a gaming site and there's a new Smash Bros. game coming out, I've been here a lot more.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As you can see from my membership date, I kind of take long hiatuses from this forum. Now that I write for a gaming site and there's a new Smash Bros. game coming out, I've been here a lot more.

That's understandable. I've noticed many long time members returning ever since the trailers of Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U came along.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Are people still using this topic?

Anyway, I had some okay Moveset ideas.

General:

This Moveset attempts to capture the strategic feel of the Bomberman games (both classic and new). It is based mostly on the Classic NES title and Bomberman 64, my two favorite titles in the series.

To keep Bomberman balanced, I feel his bombs need to be somewhere in between Link's bombs and Bomb-Ombs in terms of knockback (Possibly reaching Bomb-Omb strength if pumped). He should also be limited to approximately 3 bombs on screen at once (including remote bombs).

Special Moves:

Standard Special: Bomb Kick
Bomberman's most iconic move. While he's over a bomb Bomberman's kicks it in the direction he's facing. But here's where it gets intersting: This doesn't only work for his own bombs - it works for all bombs. He should be able to kick Link's bombs, Megaman's Crash Bomber (if it's on the ground) and other bombs including items without them exploding on impact. The Kirby version of this move would be similar to his Olimar power in that he automatically puts down a bomb and kicks it.

Side Special: Bomb Toss/Bomb Pump
Based on Bomberman 64 where Bomberman could "pump" his bombs. Normally this move would just throw a bomb in a lazy arc, but if used over a bomb (This time it has to be Bomberman's) he will "pump" the bomb making it stronger, larger and giving it a bigger blast radius. The drawback to pumping a bomb is that it gets heavier and therefore will go less distance when thrown or kicked with each successive pump. Naturally, there's a limit to how much a bomb can be pumped. It is important to note that Bomberman's bombs won't hurt him (save for when the Villager pockets them to use against him or if they are reflected).

Down Special: Remote Bomb/Detonator
Similar to Snake's Down Special from Brawl, though arguably more strategic. This bomb will look mostly like a Bomberman's normal bombs and can be picked up, thrown and kicked. It can be used in conjunction with his other bombs, but would be unable to be pumped.

Up Special: Bomb Jump
Also based on Bomberman 64 where Bomberman couldn't jump and one had to use bombs creatively to explore the multiplayer arenas. Simply put, he places a bomb below him and lets the explosion carry him upward. In the air this would be a meteor smash.

Final Smash:
I have two ideas here - one is more creative and one I feel is far simpler to implement.

Final Smash Idea 1: Bomberman Classic
For a short amount of time (I guess however long Warioman stays transformed) Bomberman gains the classic bombs from his NES title. These do very large amounts of damage and will explode in pillars of fire in all four directions (three if they detonate on the ground). This includes his remote bombs. These bombs can also not be pumped. The Pillars of fire will also appear on any of his non-special moves involving his bombs. Bomberman should also be immune to damage during this time.

Final Smash Idea 2: Death Bomb
(Not sure if that's what they're called) Bomberman summons a giant bomb which deals massive damage and knockback. Essentially an instant kill if it can't be avoided.

Smash Moves:

Forward Smash:
To avoid similarity to Mario's Side Smash this will not involve an explosion. It should be some sort of punch.

Down Smash:
Bomberman detonates two bomb's - one either side of him.

Up Smash:
Bomberman thrusts a bomb upward and detonates it.

It is important to note that bombs used in the smashes are not treated as projectiles.

Grabbing & Throwing:

Forward Throw:
Bomberman should through his opponent weakly and follow up immediately with a bomb.

Backward Throw:
Bomberman should through his opponent weakly and follow up immediately with a bomb.

Downward Throw:
Bomberman throws his opponent on the ground, tosses a bomb after them and then kicks them downward again as they bounce up from the explosion.

Upward Throw:
Bomberman uppercuts his opponents and follows up with handstand kick. (No bombs here, I feel they may be getting played out by this point).

Aerial Moves:

Neutral Aerial:
Bomberman pulls out a bomb and detonates it while holding it close to himself.

Forward Aerial:
???

Back Aerial:
???

Upward Aerial:
???

Downward Aerial:
???

Basic Moves:

Combo:
This should be something along the lines of 2-3 weak punches/kicks and ending with a quick bomb.

Forward Tilt:
???

Upward Tilt:
???

Downward Tilt:
???

Dash Attack:
???

Moves noted as "???" are done so because they probably shouldn't involve bombs and I'm getting into the territory of very generic attacks.

I feel Bomberman has a lot of potential as a unique character, but a smaller potential of actually being in the game.

duffmmann

Smash Cadet
I've wanted Bomberman ever since Snake was first announced for Brawl. I think one move he should have that isn't a bomb, is a move similar to Peach's Throw Toad forward to absorb blows and hit back, Bomberman could pull out Pommy to do something similar.

I have a list of 3rd party characters I want, but the reality is, many are very likely:

1. Snake (veteran, should be expected)
2. Sonic (veteran, should be expected)
3. Megaman (****ing confirmed! I still can't get over this)
4. Pac-Man (Namco is making the game, they're likely going to include a character, of all their iconic characters Pac-Man is by far the most, and very fitting for the game, not to mention the Mario Kart arcade games which include characters from both franchises).
5. Geno (everyone wants him and loves him, Square has lent him to Nintendo before, albeit briefly in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, could definitely happen again).
6. Bomberman (Bomberman always had a strong assocaition to Nintendo for me. Mostly I tink because Wario and Bomberman shared a game together in the past on the gameboy in Wario Blast. This coupled with Hudson's contributions to the Mario Party franchise, much like Capcom's contribution to a few Zelda titles makes it seem like a good possibility. Unfortunately, Hudson Soft ceased to exist as a company on March 1st, 2012, putting a planned 3DS bomberman game to cancelled. However, Hudson Soft has been absorbed and merged by Konami who as you likely know make the Metal Gear games, and would you look at that, Nintendo has already included a Konami character in the last game, and likely will include Snake again. And while Konami does now have full control of the franchise, it does seem worth noting that no Bomberman game has been made or announced since they merged.)

Now here's my only other 3rd party character that I think should justifiably be in the game, but will never happen because Rare has a deal with Microsoft now and not Nintendo)
7. Banjo-Kazooie (never happening I know, but they belongs in this game).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
One problem it just accrued to me if snake gets confirmed again bye bye to all chances of bomberman since there's no way sakurai will add 2 characters from the same company

Besides nintendo

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I wouldn't say it's completely out of the question. I'm fairly certain if it came up, there could be more than one character from each company. For instance, Konami (unlike SEGA in my eyes) has a long history with Nintendo and several franchises to choose from that all get good responses as reps. Simon Belmont and Bomberman are just as important as Solid Snake, Sonic and Mega Man to Nintendo's history.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
considering hudson developed all the mario party games, bomberman has had a crossover with wario, and they have almost all been exclusivly on nintendo consoles. He has a lot better chance than many people think, if only he wasnt owned by Konami

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
considering hudson developed all the mario party games, bomberman has had a crossover with wario, and they have almost all been exclusivly on nintendo consoles. He has a lot better chance than many people think, if only he wasnt owned by Konami
Which is the same company that owns snake from metal gear witch made 3 and that mean bomberman could be snakes replacement if snake gets kicked

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Which is the same company that owns snake from metal gear witch made 3 and that mean bomberman could be snakes replacement if snake gets kicked
yeah thats what i hope happens, Bomberman fits much much better, snake barely fit in brawl, and now that smash 4 has a brighter art style Snake will fit in even less. Bomberman is often grouped with nintendo, whereas snake is almost sony's head.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Bomberman has little to no chance at all.
I wouldn't say it's completely out of the question. I'm fairly certain if it came up, there could be more than one character from each company. For instance, Konami (unlike SEGA in my eyes) has a long history with Nintendo and several franchises to choose from that all get good responses as reps. Simon Belmont and Bomberman are just as important as Solid Snake, Sonic and Mega Man to Nintendo's history.
Solid Snake is about as import to Nintendo's history as Rayman. And that's not saying much....Whereas SEGA and Nintendo work together all the time, and have a healthy rivalry. In Fact, Sonic and Mario have a series together.
AKA Nothing in Konami is very important to Nintendo's history except for MAYBE Bomberman. But that being the case, Kanami would never earn a character in smash bros. anyway. The director of the MGS series asked sakurai, and being that they were friends he did it. Note please, the director of MGS SPECIFICALLY. Konami would have never earned a character in Smash bros. And if we would have, it would have been Bomberman or Simon belmont. But we got Snake, basically because they got a free ticket in.

And as far as importance to Nintendo's history? Solid Snake doesn't even get close. Simon could be considered of moderate importance. And Bomberman is a little bit important. But truthfully....none of these characters get even close to the history Nintendo has with characters like Megaman, Sonic, and Pac-Man.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The Belmonts are pretty important to Nintendo's history and they are from Konami

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't see how Castlevania doesn't come close to being historical for Nintendo

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Having no new games and being buried under other titles by Konami means that the little guy has no chance. Despite how deserving he is.

But i would say that Bomberman's history with Nintendo is better then Castlevania's. Mostly because he's had more games on the consoles and his games on the Wii and N64 crap on the Castlevania N64 game and the Castlevania Wii fighting game......good god what did they do to you Simon?

Oh and the crossover with Wario. (Which is freaking amazing)

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Because Megaman is historical to Nintendo and it took him about 12 Nintendo only releases to get that way. Castlevania is moderately important to Nintendo. Moderately

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
And as far as importance to Nintendo's history? Solid Snake doesn't even get close. Simon could be considered of moderate importance. And Bomberman is a little bit important. But truthfully....none of these characters get even close to the history Nintendo has with characters like Megaman, Sonic, and Pac-Man.

Bomberman has had 34 games that are exclusive to nintendo titles, and far more that are on nintendo titles and playstation/xbox. He has appeared in a crossover game with wario, and has appeared in a lot of the nintendo comics. I would say that he is one of the most important 3rd party titles to nintendo. Also, megaman 1-10 were all put on the xbox live marketplace before smash 4 even started developing. So id say Bomberman has a lot more importantance than you think

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Bomberman has had 34 games that are exclusive to nintendo titles, and far more that are on nintendo titles and playstation/xbox. He has appeared in a crossover game with wario, and has appeared in a lot of the nintendo comics. I would say that he is one of the most important 3rd party titles to nintendo. Also, megaman 1-10 were all put on the xbox live marketplace before smash 4 even started developing. So id say Bomberman has a lot more importantance than you think
Except....he doesn't.
Do you forget megaman 1-8 were all Nintendo exclusive games when they came out? And especially around that era of Nintendo history where a big boost or a cool series that would draw people in would help mold the future for console gaming. And it did.

And actually he has had 32 Nintendo exclusive games exactly, and two of those are Japan only. But my point still stands. His crossover with Wario shows that Nintendo was very fond of Bomberman back in the day. He is one of the most important 3rd party Nintendo characters, you are correct. But he's still not important enough to land himself in smash. The only reason he would is if he was heavily requested, and that would be if this was bre-brawl. Because now that Snake's in the game, Bomberman has no chance whatsoever. Basically, Hudson soft was pretty tight with Nintendo. Konami is not. The only reason Konami got a rep, is because MGS director asked Sakurai, and they just so happened to be friends. And now that they do, Bomberman's chances are like nonexistent.

Bomberman is no special situation either. Maybe back when, but today, he's not as important as he used to be.
That said I hope things turn around for Bomberman, and he get's some more games. Makes me sick to see a company get in charge of a good character and then misuse it....(Banjo & Kazooie, Bomberman)

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Except....he doesn't.
Do you forget megaman 1-8 were all Nintendo exclusive games when they came out? And especially around that era of Nintendo history where a big boost or a cool series that would draw people in would help mold the future for console gaming. And it did.

And actually he has had 32 Nintendo exclusive games exactly, and two of those are Japan only. But my point still stands. His crossover with Wario shows that Nintendo was very fond of Bomberman back in the day. He is one of the most important 3rd party Nintendo characters, you are correct. But he's still not important enough to land himself in smash. The only reason he would is if he was heavily requested, and that would be if this was bre-brawl. Because now that Snake's in the game, Bomberman has no chance whatsoever. Basically, Hudson soft was pretty tight with Nintendo. Konami is not. The only reason Konami got a rep, is because MGS director asked Sakurai, and they just so happened to be friends. And now that they do, Bomberman's chances are like nonexistent.

Bomberman is no special situation either. Maybe back when, but today, he's not as important as he used to be.
That said I hope things turn around for Bomberman, and he get's some more games. Makes me sick to see a company get in charge of a good character and then misuse it....(Banjo & Kazooie, Bomberman)
I honestly have no idea why microsoft doesnt sell banjo/kazooie to nintendo for a decent amount of money. They dont have to sell rare, just those characters. But thats besides the point.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I honestly have no idea why microsoft doesnt sell banjo/kazooie to nintendo for a decent amount of money. They dont have to sell rare, just those characters. But thats besides the point.
I know right? I have a LIST of characters I wish Nintendo would buy, and Bomberman is on it.
Megaman, Bomberman, Banjo & kazooie, Pacman.
Could you imagine what Nintendo could flesh these IP's out to?

Though buying the Pacman franchise would cost them more money than they have.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I know right? I have a LIST of characters I wish Nintendo would buy, and Bomberman is on it.
Megaman, Bomberman, Banjo & kazooie, Pacman.
Could you imagine what Nintendo could flesh these IP's out to?

Though buying the Pacman franchise would cost them more money than they have.
Yeah pacman would not be worth it because unlike the other 3, Namco actually uses him from time to time

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Yeah pacman would not be worth it because unlike the other 3, Namco actually uses him from time to time
That's true. He's only on the list because I know Nintendo could give him a GOOD game, like with a good story and gameplay and such. I picture like a Super Mario 64 but with Pacman

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
That's true. He's only on the list because I know Nintendo could give him a GOOD game, like with a good story and gameplay and such. I picture like a Super Mario 64 but with Pacman
Yeah pac man world 2 for the gamecube was a really awesome platformer kinda like a mario 64 but linear, imagine a 3d donkey kong country game. And bomberman had some great games for the gamecube too

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
In honor of his place in Rate the Chances, I've created a Bomberman moveset. In this moveset, bomberman can only use bombs, and a few kicks.

Bomberman

Bomberman can create a maximum of three bombs at a time.

A - Bomb (creates Bomb, holds in hand)
A - (While holding bomb) Throws bomb, no explosion until fuse ignites.
A tilt - Throw Bomb farther (explosion)
A while running - Leave Bomb behind while doing a shove motion in front.
A tilt - Throw Bomb up (explosion
A down - Kick. Can kick bombs on the ground to make the explode.
A down (while holding a bomb) roll bomb.

Special:
Neutral: (no bomb) Boxing Glove Punch (Can knock away projectiles)
Neutral: (bomb) Pump it up! Enlarges bomb. The larger the bomb, the hard to throw.
Forward: (no bomb) Side Rocket
Foward: (bomb) Throw bomb farthest
Up: Rocket (drops bomb if holding it.
Down: Remote bomb (created). Once more to drop. Drops bomb if created.

Smash attacks:
A up (while holding a bomb): Mega explosion. Throws bomb up, creating large than normal explosion.
A up: Miniture explosion. Use minature bomb to create an explosion in his hand.
A forward: (while holding a bomb): Mega explosion. Throws bomb forward, creating large than normal explosion.
A up: Miniture explosion. Use minature bomb to create an explosion in one his hand, like Mario.
A up (while holding a bomb): Mega explosion. rolls bomb on the ground, creating large than normal explosion.
A up: Kick fest: Does a spinning kick that launches opponent or any bombs around him.

Aerial Attacks:
If holding bomb
A Throw
A foward: far throw
A up: Up bomb throw
A down: Lowe bomb throw

No bombL
A Punch
A : Kick
A Kick flio
A: Double kick toward ground.

Throws:
Nothing special about throws

Final Smash:
Bombs Away! (Bomberman sudden death mode)
Bombs are dropped from the sky. Bomberman turns into a ghost and can jump on any of his opponent to control their movement for a short time. From Bomberman 64.

Additionally, can we change the owner of this thread. The previous owner only did two posts over a year ago, and copied and pasted one of them.

D

Deleted member

I wish Bomberman wasn't a dead series.

He was a big character in my childhood as I LOVED Bomberman 64! It makes me sad to see Hudson go bankrupt and absorbed into Konami because it pretty much eliminates all of his chances... :(

So, add me to the support list. I would LOVE to see Bomberman make an eventual SSB appearance. It might not happen, but I wanna see it!

BOMBERMAN! BOMBERMAN! MASS DESTRUCTION ACROSS THE LAND!

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
[quote="jaytalks, post: 15826279, member: 221150"
Bomberman

Special:
Neutral: (bomb) Pump it up! Enlarges bomb. The larger the bomb, the hard to throw.

[/quote]

In Brawl Snake is one of my favourite character, but I must be realistic, he has many chances of been cut from next Smash, if Bomberman could for some reason get in, I would prefer to see Snakes B special attacks in Bomberman, ofcourse the smashes and even the design of the "grenades" would be Bomberman´s type

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
[quote="jaytalks, post: 15826279, member: 221150"
Bomberman

Special:

[/quote]

In Brawl Snake is one of my favourite character, but I must be realistic, he has many chances of been cut from next Smash, if Bomberman could for some reason get in, I would prefer to see Snakes B special attacks in Bomberman, ofcourse the smashes and even the design of the "grenades" would be Bomberman´s type

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Bomberman would be an awesome character, but we have a huge problem.

People like to call characters like Mega Man and Banjo dead because of how they don't get games anymore. Bomberman is really dead. Konami bought up Hudson and broke them down. I don't know if we'll ever see Bomberman again. While Capcom doesn't make Mega Man games anymore they still do acknowledge they want to use him for things in the future. Banjo's under bad management but might be used again if he's lucky.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Bomberman would be an awesome character, but we have a huge problem.

People like to call characters like Mega Man and Banjo dead because of how they don't get games anymore. Bomberman is really dead. Konami bought up Hudson and broke them down. I don't know if we'll ever see Bomberman again. While Capcom doesn't make Mega Man games anymore they still do acknowledge they want to use him for things in the future. Banjo's under bad management but might be used again if he's lucky.
We will see Bomberman again. The breaking down of Hudson is typical developmental team re management. Sega did the same thing when they restructured all their studios and the only one left prior was newly revamped Sonic Team. The breaking up off Hudson was a year after the buy out.

My general rule of thumb is that it takes a whole video game generation before we can claim that a series is dead. Bomberman last appearances were Bomberman Blitz for the Wii in 2009, Bomberman Dojo in 2010 for IOS, and Bomberman Chains in 2011 for IOS. Video game generations art typically 6 years long, so it will take another three years before we know if a series is did.

Banjo has zero chance. The problem isn't that his series is "dead." It's that his owned by Microsoft, who is Nintendo's opponent now. As long as he's owned by Microsoft, he and Kazooie have no chance.

D

Deleted member

I hate to bump threads, but I just hate seeing this be so dead! This thread has become so inactive, along with the OP…

I want to do something with this…
Hey! You! Mod that can be watching this! Can I please take over as the owner of this thread please? I love Bomberman and I want to give his support thread some life!
EDIT: Apparently, it's taking a while for mods to do that...
When it's possible though, can it please happen?

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I used to love playing Bomberman with friends and family years ago. It is a shame they do not make them anymore. If Bomberman gets in he would be one of the most unique characters. I'm not sure how much of a chance he has though, and I think Snake is staying in.

D

Deleted member

I wasn't around on this website during pre-Brawl and something is kinda bugging me.

I was wondering, how much noise or want did Bomberman get from the rest of the world? I know that the 2 big 3rd party characters were Sonic and Mega Man, but did Bomberman get some noise at all? Did Sakurai ever make a comment on Bomberman in that journal/diary/whatever it was?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Sakurai barely comments on any third party characters that aren't in the game already.

Anyway, i do remember some noise.....that could've just been me though. Huge Bomebrman fan. lol

Top Bottom