• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomberman Explodes In Smash 4! We Await for Results

Do you support Bomberman?

• Total voters

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Oh, I agree, Bomberman is his most common and recognisable name and therefore the best choice. I'm just saying that there are other options, should the Man issue be a real problem.

Oh and slightly off topic: has anyone here played Boom? It's an arcade style mac game that describes itself as "Bomberman meets Doom" and it's one of the games I spent most time on in my childhood, alongside the N64 classics of course.

I don't play it much anymore because I'm too good. I lose whole days on a single "credit" but I still have fond memories of the game and firmly believe that it is what all those 2D Bomberman adventure modes should have been.
It's sadly lacking in versus play but does have a Co-Op feature.

D

Deleted member

Oh, I agree, Bomberman is his most common and recognisable name and therefore the best choice. I'm just saying that there are other options, should the Man issue be a real problem.
If you are talking about his name, definitely not an issue.
If you are talking about Pac-Man… then no. His real issue is with Konami, not with a character from another 3rd party company. Pac-Man shouldn't directly influence Bomberman's chances. With everything that has been going on, I think people are expecting Pac-Man more than wanting him. Personally, I think that Bomberman should get in over Pac-Man for Bomberman's absolute prominence on Nintendo's consoles. Bomberman has been in more games on Nintendo's consoles than Pac-Man has and Bomberman has far more exclusives than Pac-Man has. I can justify the heck as to why Bomberman deserves to get in SSB4 or in a Smash game in general. With Pac-Man… I can't do that.
I would say that Bomberman has a better chance than Pac-Man, but Konami is holding him back. I hope something is done for Bomberman and fast.

Oh and slightly off topic: has anyone here played Boom? It's an arcade style mac game that describes itself as "Bomberman meets Doom" and it's one of the games I spent most time on in my childhood, alongside the N64 classics of course.
Never played it. I'll YouTube it just to see gameplay footage.

D

Deleted member

I finished my essay and I will add it to the OP. Here it is:

[COLLAPSE=Brawler610's essay]
I absolutely love Bomberman and I love his games. I love Bomberman 64, The Second Attack, Hero, and Blast. I have grown up with Bomberman and it has made me want me to see him appear in Smash Bros. With personal experiences, the reason why I view him to be the best third party option, and his amazing moveset potential has made me want Bomberman to appear in Smash Bros. for years.

Bomberman in Smash is not something that I want; it's something that I desperately need to happen. I played Bomberman 64 as a child for numerous hours and I absolutely love that game. Honestly, I didn't make it to the last two worlds, but I still enjoyed the game nonetheless. That game made me love Bomberman and I have supported him since Smash 64 came into fruition. Brawl was coming around and I believed that he was one of the best options for that game. Very few third party characters have the same amount of prominence as he does or have more prominence than he does. I am glad to see that Sonic got in the game, but I was hoping for Bomberman to make an appearance, much to my dismay that he didn't. Luigi, Mario, Sonic, and Bomberman are my childhood heroes and seeing them duke it out in a battle would make my life. I don't have any history with Mega Man. I'm glad that he is in SSB4, but I don't have any real connection with him that made me really ecstatic to see his inclusion.

Bomberman is by far one of the most deserving 3rd party characters out there. As I've mentioned before, not many characters are as prominent as he is with Nintendo. He is a 3rd party character, but he is a Nintendo all-star despite not being owned by Nintendo. It's for this reason why I believe that Bomberman is one of the most deserving third party characters to appear in Smash Bros. Sonic and Mega Man deserve to be in it, but Snake just lacks the aura that they have. Seeing Snake get in would actually crush my soul as he is a character that just doesn't deserve to get in Smash in my opinion. He got in by personal request; Bomberman deserves that slot more than he does. While people want Snake in SSB4, I bet that there are some people on the development team and from Konami that would help push for him and his inclusion and this could especially be the case now that Hudson Soft is owned by Konami.

Bomberman has so much freaking potential. Yes, he throws bombs, but that's his gimmick and that's what he does. His name is freaking BOMBERMAN for crying out loud! Other characters use bombs, but they don't even come close as to what Bomberman can do. Play a Bomberman game for yourself to see what he can do in those games and what he can offer in Smash. Having a whole moveset based on bombs would most likely make him an instant fan favorite and his appearance would help generate sales for this game. Bomberman can offer so much and to not see that in action in the future would be an utter mistake.

My personal experiences, the reasons why I believe he is the best third party option, and his potential are reasons why I want to see him. Ultimately, I want Bomberman in Smash Bros. and I would do anything just to see him in that game or to at least see something get done with his series. Little Mac is my most wanted newcomer, but I don't even think my reaction for when I see him would be the same for when I see Bomberman. I understand that he won't get in now, but he deserves to get in.
[/COLLAPSE]

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Thoughts on the character:
-Bomberman should fall fast. His bombs should not. This would allow him to bounce off bombs he drops while in mid air, before they explode or be launched by the explosions, whichever works better.
-Bomberman should not be bomb resistant. Maybe he could get the heat vest as a sort of shield move or a visual effect on his block but explosive resistance is not an innate ability to his character.
-Actual roller skates would be a comical yet apt addition to his moveset. These would work like they do in Bomberman Fantasy Race, causing a large speed boost, loss of any form of control for its brief duration and immunity to any explosives/pitfalls/ground traps triggered. Said traps and explosives would go off on contact and those in his path would be hit similarly.
-Bomberman should not have full control during the rocket move. I suggest allowing a tilt of up to 25 degrees either side of straight up. It is, pretty obviously, his up B, though I would like it to be kept weak to allow for more bomb based recovery without him being OP.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thoughts on the character:
-Bomberman should fall fast. His bombs should not. This would allow him to bounce off bombs he drops while in mid air, before they explode or be launched by the explosions, whichever works better.
-Bomberman should not be bomb resistant. Maybe he could get the heat vest as a sort of shield move or a visual effect on his block but explosive resistance is not an innate ability to his character.
-Actual roller skates would be a comical yet apt addition to his moveset. These would work like they do in Bomberman Fantasy Race, causing a large speed boost, loss of any form of control for its brief duration and immunity to any explosives/pitfalls/ground traps triggered. Said traps and explosives would go off on contact and those in his path would be hit similarly.
-Bomberman should not have full control during the rocket move. I suggest allowing a tilt of up to 25 degrees either side of straight up. It is, pretty obviously, his up B, though I would like it to be kept weak to allow for more bomb based recovery without him being OP.
-That's a nice idea.
-I agree that he should not be bomb resistant. He's not resistant to his bombs in the game, so I think that Sakurai should stay faithful to the source material.
-Roller skates would be cool.
-When I think of his up special, I mostly think of it being Diddy Kong's recovery. It should be something like that.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
His jumps should definitely be the zero gravity style Bomberman Hero ones, making him floaty on the way up, allowing him to still drop bombs on people without getting caught in them. Down or Neutral B would therefore be the Bomb Drop. Probably down so that Neutral can be throw.
So currently my specials look like:

Up B - Bomber Jet: Bomberman's rocket pack appears and carries him upwards about 1.5x his own height. During this action, he can be tilted up to 25 degrees in either direction but sadly, bombs cannot be used ¹. On contact with another player, the rockets will explode for small-medium damage and knockback, not harming Bomberman but ending the move. This will also happen if he is attacked, blocking the hit but making him fall.
Forward B - Bomber Skates: Bomberman grabs a small roller skate iconned square from some hidden pocket and suddenly he has skates. They carry him forward at alarming speed, during which time he cannot stop but has his fall speed halved. He will only travel about 2 stagebuilder block lengths before the move ends but, during this time, he will pass through anything but solid objects, impervious to any obstacles below, doing small-medium damage to anyone he passes through, voiding any pitfall traps and instantly triggering any explosives with no harm to himself. Furthermore, if he collides with a foe at the very end of this motion, he will do fairly large knockback, as opposed to the regular, flinching variety. Be careful with this move though, it's easy to fall off the stage and getting hit in the head will result in the character being downed.
Neutral B - Bomb Toss: If there is a grabbable item infront of him, Bomberman will pick it up, otherwise the move will spawn a bomb for him. After a charging period, the item, whatever it may be, will be thrown in an arc and destroyed on contact. This means explosions if it's a bomb. Since it involves an item, however, the move may be stopped with a well timed grab or, more interestingly, it could potentially go infinite with two bombermen ² and a non-bomb item.
Now for the charge. While Bomberman's bombs and links are pretty much the same (maybe even interchangeable, who knows), Bomberman has the ability to pump his up. This is done by holding the button down during this special item throwing move. You see, rather than affecting the damage and knockback properties of the move itself, the charge comes in 3 stages. Un/barely charged leaves the bomb as is, merely pausing the countdown for the brief period in which Bomberman is holding it. Partially charged replaces the bomb entirely, giving him a bigger, better one (countdown reset). Greatly charged pumps it up to full strength, again, replacing the medium bomb. The new item has a P on it just because. These bomb changes affect both knockback, damage and range of the explosion. Medium bombs, if caught and used for this move, will only change when the pumped up bomb would otherwise be produced.
With each charge stage, the item trajectory will change to mimic the way bomb weight affects his throw in the games. Note that this will happen regardless of what item the white bomber is actually holding. Finally, fully charging the move will cause whatever item he has to glow red and be thrown immediately, with a distance a tiny bit further than that of the normal pumped up bomb throw but not really worth the extra wait.
Down B - Bomb Drop: Bomberman will spawn a bomb that is much like (or perhaps even the same as) Link's. If he is on the ground, he will literally lay it, otherwise he will go into a sitting pose and have it appear in his hands, only for him to drop it as he restraightens his little bomber legs. Either way, it is a quick move, with the aerial version being just a tad slower.
Extra Note: Any one Bomberman may not have more than 2 bombs out at any one time ³. Attempting to spawn another will instead spawn a small puff of grey dust, as it does in some Bomberman games. This is not, in any way, to be considered a fart.

The bomb kick and similar would be a result of his non-special moves being used on the bomb spawned by the Bomb Drop.

¹ No, he doesn't use bombs with the jet in game, those are actually the same torpedoes he has in the Bomber Sub.
² Bomber Kirby is not a viable bomberman substitute since his lower shoulder height drastically affects the range of the move.
³ 2 because it is what Diddy is limited to with his bananas and also because, in games where he has more than one bomb to start, it is the lower limit for Bomberman's bomb capacity.

D

Deleted member

Oh wow! 25 supporters! That's 1/4 of 100! Will we make it to 100 before SSB4's release date?
[COLLAPSE=ryuu seika's moveset]His jumps should definitely be the zero gravity style Bomberman Hero ones, making him floaty on the way up, allowing him to still drop bombs on people without getting caught in them. Down or Neutral B would therefore be the Bomb Drop. Probably down so that Neutral can be throw.
So currently my specials look like:

Up B - Bomber Jet: Bomberman's rocket pack appears and carries him upwards about 1.5x his own height. During this action, he can be tilted up to 25 degrees in either direction but sadly, bombs cannot be used ¹. On contact with another player, the rockets will explode for small-medium damage and knockback, not harming Bomberman but ending the move. This will also happen if he is attacked, blocking the hit but making him fall.
Forward B - Bomber Skates: Bomberman grabs a small roller skate iconned square from some hidden pocket and suddenly he has skates. They carry him forward at alarming speed, during which time he cannot stop but has his fall speed halved. He will only travel about 2 stagebuilder block lengths before the move ends but, during this time, he will pass through anything but solid objects, impervious to any obstacles below, doing small-medium damage to anyone he passes through, voiding any pitfall traps and instantly triggering any explosives with no harm to himself. Furthermore, if he collides with a foe at the very end of this motion, he will do fairly large knockback, as opposed to the regular, flinching variety. Be careful with this move though, it's easy to fall off the stage and getting hit in the head will result in the character being downed.
Neutral B - Bomb Toss: If there is a grabbable item infront of him, Bomberman will pick it up, otherwise the move will spawn a bomb for him. After a charging period, the item, whatever it may be, will be thrown in an arc and destroyed on contact. This means explosions if it's a bomb. Since it involves an item, however, the move may be stopped with a well timed grab or, more interestingly, it could potentially go infinite with two bombermen ² and a non-bomb item.
Now for the charge. While Bomberman's bombs and links are pretty much the same (maybe even interchangeable, who knows), Bomberman has the ability to pump his up. This is done by holding the button down during this special item throwing move. You see, rather than affecting the damage and knockback properties of the move itself, the charge comes in 3 stages. Un/barely charged leaves the bomb as is, merely pausing the countdown for the brief period in which Bomberman is holding it. Partially charged replaces the bomb entirely, giving him a bigger, better one (countdown reset). Greatly charged pumps it up to full strength, again, replacing the medium bomb. The new item has a P on it just because. These bomb changes affect both knockback, damage and range of the explosion. Medium bombs, if caught and used for this move, will only change when the pumped up bomb would otherwise be produced.
With each charge stage, the item trajectory will change to mimic the way bomb weight affects his throw in the games. Note that this will happen regardless of what item the white bomber is actually holding. Finally, fully charging the move will cause whatever item he has to glow red and be thrown immediately, with a distance a tiny bit further than that of the normal pumped up bomb throw but not really worth the extra wait.
Down B - Bomb Drop: Bomberman will spawn a bomb that is much like (or perhaps even the same as) Link's. If he is on the ground, he will literally lay it, otherwise he will go into a sitting pose and have it appear in his hands, only for him to drop it as he restraightens his little bomber legs. Either way, it is a quick move, with the aerial version being just a tad slower.
Extra Note: Any one Bomberman may not have more than 2 bombs out at any one time ³. Attempting to spawn another will instead spawn a small puff of grey dust, as it does in some Bomberman games. This is not, in any way, to be considered a fart.

The bomb kick and similar would be a result of his non-special moves being used on the bomb spawned by the Bomb Drop.

¹ No, he doesn't use bombs with the jet in game, those are actually the same torpedoes he has in the Bomber Sub.
² Bomber Kirby is not a viable bomberman substitute since his lower shoulder height drastically affects the range of the move.
³ 2 because it is what Diddy is limited to with his bananas and also because, in games where he has more than one bomb to start, it is the lower limit for Bomberman's bomb capacity.[/COLLAPSE]
I'm going to add this to the original post!

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Stage ideas.

1. Bomb Factory: The iconic stage from the first Bomberman game. (The stage works like it does in Dream Mix TV world fighters and SSF2) The hazards for this stage are bombs spawning and exploding.

2. Planet Bomber: The location is set in a town on Bomberman's home planet. In the background you can see the other multicolored bombers and even a few notable characters. (Pretty Bomber, MAX, Mujoe, etc.) The stage hazards are bombs randomly being tossed into the arena at random times.

D

Deleted member

Stage ideas.

1. Bomb Factory: The iconic stage from the first Bomberman game. (The stage works like it does in Dream Mix TV world fighters and SSF2) The hazards for this stage are bombs spawning and exploding.

2. Planet Bomber: The location is set in a town on Bomberman's home planet. In the background you can see the other multicolored bombers and even a few notable characters. (Pretty Bomber, MAX, Mujoe, etc.) The stage hazards are bombs randomly being tossed into the arena at random times.
I'll add these to the original post!

When it comes to stages, the one from DreamMix TV World Fighters comes to mind since it is the classic stage from the first Bomberman.

D

Deleted member

An interesting remix medley I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYqLYOL240

And a thought: can we have Gold Bomber as a taunt? Just have him do some sort of victory motion and turn gold briefly in an "I'm going to win!" fashion.
I'll add this to the OP!

When it comes to his taunts, I was thinking of his level clear animation from Bomberman 64. He would spin and raise one of his arms diagonally in front of him.

I wish that game was on the Virtual Console…

D

Deleted member

Bomberman 64 isn't on virtual console?! Nintendo, why?!
I have no idea. Bomberman Hero is fun, but I really wish I could play Bomberman 64 again. I never made it to the Black Fortress and Rainbow Palace as a kid. With experience now, I wanna see if I can get to them and do them.
Though this level doesn't look fun…

My only two options to play Bomberman 64 are:
1. Use an emulator… which probably isn't a good idea for my laptop.
2. Buy another N64 with that game, which can cost a lot of money. (my mom threw mine away :()

Last edited by a moderator:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I beat Black Fortress as a kid but for some reason can't do it now. The levels are so long and it only takes one slipup to lose it all. I'll tell you one thing though, it made damn sure I never played in traffic growing up.

Rainbow Palace is a whole other story. It's not a mandatory part of the game but rather a big plot twist and challange for those that 100%ed the rest of the game. Considering what you have to do just to get there even, is it any wonder it consists of improbable bomb leaps and pathways that take more imagination than eyesight to find?

Difficultywise, Rainbow Palace is in a whole other league which nothing other than walkthroughless gold card hunting even remotely prepares you for. I never even made it there.

D

Deleted member

All the Bomberman games deserve to be on the VC.
Amen
Rainbow Palace is a whole other story. It's not a mandatory part of the game but rather a big plot twist and challange for those that 100%ed the rest of the game. Considering what you have to do just to get there even, is it any wonder it consists of improbable bomb leaps and pathways that take more imagination than eyesight to find?

Difficultywise, Rainbow Palace is on a whole other level for which nothing other than walkthroughless gold card hunting even remotely prepares you for. I never even made it there.
Still, for 100%ing the game, I wish I could have gotten there now. Besides, that stage has my favorite Bomberman song, I wish I could have experienced it as a child! But those stages look very tough… case in point, Doom Castle.

I bet even if I got the game now, I wouldn't be prepared for that area. Again, those stages look tough.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So i made MY ideal roster. I bring this up because Bomberman is in it. lol

Also, i'm planning on buying Bomberman 64 again. (and Bomberman Hero. I need to find a site selling Bomberman 64 The Second Attack for cheep since that game is really expensive.)

Anyway, should Bomberman also use his other bomb types via bomb throw?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'd say it would be more interesting if he spawned different bombs in different ways but all the moves could then interact with all bomb types.

Also, if you do find a decently priced Second Attack and they have multiple copies, please please please share!

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The Gravity bomb should be the most rare. (A black hole bomb screams broken after all. lol)

Also, yes i will if theres multiple copies.

D

Deleted member

Also, i'm planning on buying Bomberman 64 again. (and Bomberman Hero. I need to find a site selling Bomberman 64 The Second Attack for cheep since that game is really expensive.)

Anyway, should Bomberman also use his other bomb types via bomb throw?
Give me a link to this website please. I would love to get an N64 again with Bomberman 64 and The Second Attack.

I would designate his bombs as separate specials (I made the Light Bomb from The Second Attack his Final Smash), though that isn't a bad idea with Bomberman throwing out other bombs with Bomb Throw.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
My thoughts on bomb types:
-Ice bomb: Slightly smaller than average explosion. Less knockback but has a freeze effect on anything hit.
-Water Bomb: Smaller than average explosion hitbox with less damage but has an additional push effect (like F.L.U.D.D.) outside this range and generates a fairly large wet patch on the ground.
-Hurricane Bomb: Tiny explosion hitbox but a huge ranged wind effect, much like Mr.G&W's Brawl pump attack.
-Napalm Bomb: Does a bit of extra damage and knockback but explodes in a fiery cross shape rather than a sphere, thereby covering less area.
-Gravity Bomb: Has high damage with no knockback until the very last frame. Prior to that frame, the explosion is tiny but there is a medium sized inverse wind effect round it to pull players towards it. Fairly easy to escape if expected.
-Light Bomb: Minimal damage with no knockback but players and items caught in the explosion cannot move while it is going off and it lingers a little. Bomberman can be affected by the blast but, unlike other characters, he will only be affected if caught in the explosion before it finishes growing. This is the only bomb without uniform affects on all players. Other Bombermen may still be affected as normal, only the one who spawned the bomb has this semi-immunity.
-Thunder Bomb: Has a small explosion with 3 large lightning bolts spawned from it at straight up (largest) and 45 degrees either side. The damage is a little lower than other bombs and so is the knockback of the main explosion (lightning bolts have regular knockback though) but the hitstun is increased.
-Salt Bomb: Has a slightly smaller than average explosion with little damage, minimal hitstun and virtually no knockback. It has a cleaning effect that will destroy hazardous items, remove traps and wet zones, destroy minor NPC foes, remove poison flowers and similar statuses and even remove Kirby hats.

D

Deleted member

My thoughts on bomb types:
-Ice bomb: Slightly smaller than average explosion. Less knockback but has a freeze effect on anything hit.
-Water Bomb: Smaller than average explosion hitbox with less damage but has an additional push effect (like F.L.U.D.D.) outside this range and generates a fairly large wet patch on the ground.
-Hurricane Bomb: Tiny explosion hitbox but a huge ranged wind effect, much like Mr.G&W's Brawl pump attack.
-Napalm Bomb: Does a bit of extra damage and knockback but explodes in a fiery cross shape rather than a sphere, thereby covering less area.
-Gravity Bomb: Has high damage with no knockback until the very last frame. Prior to that frame, the explosion is tiny but there is a medium sized inverse wind effect round it to pull players towards it. Fairly easy to escape if expected.
-Light Bomb: Minimal damage with no knockback but players and items caught in the explosion cannot move while it is going off and it lingers a little. Bomberman can be affected by the blast but, unlike other characters, he will only be affected if caught in the explosion before it finishes growing. This is the only bomb without uniform affects on all players. Other Bombermen may still be affected as normal, only the one who spawned the bomb has this semi-immunity.
-Thunder Bomb: Has a small explosion with 3 large lightning bolts spawned from it at straight up (largest) and 45 degrees either side. The damage is a little lower than other bombs and so is the knockback of the main explosion (lightning bolts have regular knockback though) but the hitstun is increased.
-Salt Bomb: Has a slightly smaller than average explosion with little damage, minimal hitstun and virtually no knockback. It has a cleaning effect that will destroy hazardous items, remove traps and wet zones, destroy minor NPC foes, remove poison flowers and similar statuses and even remove Kirby hats.
Do you mind if I put this in the OP? I will put it underneath the video I posted of the various bomb types in The Second Attack.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Have I mentioned that I loved playing Bomberman's games when I was a child? I have a lot of nostalgia attached to him, so sign me up as a supporter!

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Thoughts:
Supporters should be called Bomberfans!

I could never accept that traitor Sirius as an AT. I would prefer Louie:

You can ride on Louie and he can attack! While on Louie you're unable to take damage, but if Louie takes enough hits, he runs away. After about 10 seconds, the character jumps off Louie and he disappears.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Louie/Rui was my final smash idea. lol

oh, another assist trophy idea. (This one is probably more likely then Sirius anyway)

Assist Trophy: MAX

Max will appear and throw Hyper Plasma Bombs at opponents. he will jump around and finish off his assault with a fully charged Plasma Bomb.

D

Deleted member

That's an awesome pic! Nice find! I found this on deviantART.

Thoughts:
Supporters should be called Bomberfans!

I could never accept that traitor Sirius as an AT. I would prefer Louie:

You can ride on Louie and he can attack! While on Louie you're unable to take damage, but if Louie takes enough hits, he runs away. After about 10 seconds, the character jumps off Louie and he disappears.
Ya know, I never actually thought Sirius would be the bad guy in Bomberman 64. That actually surprised me when I found out since he was so helpful to you in Bomberman 64.
Anyways, I will add this to the original post.
EDIT: Also, calling the supporters "Bomberfans" is not a bad idea. I was mostly thinking about calling the supporters the Bombers, but I'll take this into consideration.

Louie/Rui was my final smash idea. lol

oh, another assist trophy idea. (This one is probably more likely then Sirius anyway)

Assist Trophy: MAX

Max will appear and throw Hyper Plasma Bombs at opponents. he will jump around and finish off his assault with a fully charged Plasma Bomb.
As well as this. Do you think that Max could be an alternate costume for Bomberman?

D

Deleted member

Maybe. But i think something Bomberman actually wears would be better.

Heres a decent example from the DS game where he goes into the internet.

Whoa! Bomberman looks freaking cool! Though, I like his original design more to be honest. :p

Wait, he goes into the Internet? Oh dear…

Top Bottom