• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl 64 - Back to the Basics - Announcement about the title screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikana

Smash Champion
I think it should keep everything Brawl has. Only thing to add/readjust is:

-hitstun; amplify it like crazy
-shield hitstun; same as above
-physics; can be more like Brawl+'s physics
-manual l-cancel; reduces ALL lag. as for the missed l-cancels, we should alter the attack's landing lag compared to brawl. we'll reduce it by half, but by l-canceling it, you reduce it all.
-ledge cancels; if possible
-platform drop; we will leave side stepping in but include this also. make it specific like.. control stick down + shield is side step. cStick down + shield is platform drop (side step when not on a platform)
-DJC for the originals; ness and yoshi
-crouch cancel; not to be confused with dash cancel! (its where you hold your control stick down to have more resistance from attacks that send you upwards. it exists in ssb64 but melee altered it so that you don't flinch. in ssb64, you still flinch but you don't die from the percent you'd normally die from.. lets say fox's usmash for example
-possibly little adjustments for certain attacks that are broken when these things are applied

Everything else left alone so its more of a "modernized" ssb64

So what we shouldn't have which is already
^^^^^

I don't think its that hard to make that.. at least I don't think. Most of the stuff already exists so its a matter of altering the codes for different results and copy and pasting the rest. Maybe just a few codes need to be made but we can have a ssbb64 up in no time if someone's willing to take it in for action. I have no knowledge of doing this or else I'd start us off.

So.. who'd agree/disagree with my list? I'm all up for a "modernized" ssbb64. I'd like some opinions of the suggestions I have. I'm quite excited about this but we really need a "team leader" to help start us off.

twiblets

Smash Cadet
Personally i think that moves that have changed since 64 should be changed back. Like ness's fair - single hit not multi hit. Also, spikes generally have much less startup lag.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Personally i think that moves that have changed since 64 should be changed back. Like ness's fair - single hit not multi hit. Also, spikes generally have much less startup lag.
And have waaay longer hitboxes.

Also, grabs are much more powerful and many of them kill at high percent. We should tweak those accordingly.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Are you also going to make it so it's nearly impossible to recover with anyone except Ness?

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
man, this codeset's gonna be freaking epic.

i 100000% support this ^.^

I was even working on changing falcon with PSA so hit hit box's were like his 64 style, I recently accadentily overwrote all my work with the default so i'll have to do it all over again -.-
but still

I also did work on shield stun to get shield breaker combos back.
problem is you have to multiply it SOOOO much to get them to be possible, stuff like fox's laser can break shields since it hits so fast
: /

good ****!

BEES

Smash Lord
One other very, very important thing: the sounds for landing an attack should be the pops and smacks from 64.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Are you also going to make it so it's nearly impossible to recover with anyone except Ness?
Are you kidding me?

This one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read

And that's saying something since this is the Brawl forum

Acctually Jigglypuff only had an U-throw and a B-throw. (No F-throw)

It really depends on the character.
Actually no, when you pressed forward while grabbing someone it would throw them up

pressing up while holding someone does nothing

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
its not ignorant, it's tru fax.

nobody could recover without getting ***** by a spike other than ness

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Except Ness can get recovery-***** incredibly easy by just about everybody.

Pikachu recovery FTW.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668

I don't care if I am a brawl player...this is making me rage...ROFL

Ness's recovery is probably the worst or 2nd worst in the game. Just down air him, grab the ledge, and then when he has 0 invincibility frames after the up b, hit him back. Ness is the only character who will die from 0 outside of Link easily next to a ledge. Or even jump into his up b or hit him before he can recover.

Seriously, if you want to know anything, ask us on our side of the forums.

MattNF

Smash Lord

Don't comment on something you obviously know nothing about.

Ness has the worst recovery in SSB64 - this has been debated endlessly in the ssb64 forums, and the pros all agreed Ness has the worst (yes, even worse than Link). You don't even need to waste your time spiking Ness. You can just stand on the stand doing nothing and Ness is pretty much screwed no matter what. Every time a Ness recovers on the stage, god kills a puppy. If you think you've got a good case defending Ness's recovery in any way, head over to the SSB64 forum and watch your argument get ***** faster than Falcon vs. Metaknight in Brawl.

Zephil

Smash Ace
pleeeease!! the most important thing is to have the sounds of the bombs and the public, that public was the most exiting of all smash

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman
The 64 players make me lol so hard.

I mean you guys are pretty much always right when a noob comes in here and claims **** like Ness's recovery is actually any good in SSB.

It's just the way you gratuitously flame people that is amazing.

+4 interwebs

NixxxoN

Smash Master
MattNF and Fireblaster make me lol so hard.

I mean you guys are pretty much always right when a noob comes in here and claims **** like Ness's recovery is actually any good in SSB.

+4 interwebs
Fixed.
They should know that sometimes people is simply wrong as people arent truth robots and theres no need to flame. This is not gonna make any favour to the 64 community. Makes us look like *******s

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Fixed.
They should know that sometimes people is simply wrong as people arent truth robots and theres no need to flame. This is not gonna make any favour to the 64 community. Makes us look like *******s
Brawl Noob #1 comes in and makes incredibly wrong statement about SSB.

Someone else challenges him on the validity of that statement.

Brawl Noob #2 goes in and defends Brawl Noob #1 on his statement

Seasoned SSB player comes in and claims how incredibly wrong Noob #1 was

Brawl Noob #2 keeps defending his false position.

Now go ahead and tell me these people deserve rational discussion. Yes, people can be wrong, but a RATIONAL person won't claim wild **** about stuff he doesn't know anything about. Not only that, but a rational person won't keep defending his point when he clearly knows nothing about it and is arguing against people that actually do know something.

Way too many dumb ***** (Brawl players) out there that think they know stuff about SSB and make false claims and assumptions. Stop trying to defend them.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero

Now go ahead and tell me these people deserve rational discussion. Yes, people can be wrong, but a RATIONAL person won't claim wild **** about stuff he doesn't know anything about. Not only that, but a rational person won't keep defending his point when he clearly knows nothing about it and is arguing against people that actually do know something.

Way too many dumb ***** (Brawl players) out there that think they know stuff about SSB and make false claims and assumptions. Stop trying to defend them.
Now you know how we (melee players) feel. "fox sheik and marth ***** everyone" even tho not one of those chars have won a big tourny in two years.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
The 64 players make me lol so hard.

+4 interwebs
I like how you use these 2 people as reasons to judge the entire community.
Thanks. These two people actually specifically dislike brawl, unlike a bunch of other members in the community.
On another note, seriously, trust us. You don't rely on brawl players who have no clue about how the game works outside of trying to remember it from a few years ago or on the Wii VC. Post your discussion on our forums down in gaming. It will get rid of this entire problem.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
>.>

not allll brawl players are idiots, thank you very much.

annnnnyways, I'd like to help with this project somehow, I'm not exactly good with hacking and have a remedial knowledge about SMA but I do have a passion for 64 style smash and i am working on 64 style falcon PSA hack, problem is i dont have a good hitstun variable to work on the attack knockback and knockback growth.

what is your guy;s variable for hitstun in this hack?

NixxxoN

Smash Master

I'm not defending them. I try to say that there's no need to flame at the first opportunity as sometimes people believe stuff that is wrong, and the other people who know better should be more didactical and tell them that they are wrong in a civilized way. With replies like "OMFG what a brawl n00b ur ******** u dont know anything about ssb64" you wont be much constructive

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman
[being a moral***]
Man can anyone say ANYTHING on this board without being taken seriously -_-

Btw, I remember you from the Luigi boards. It feels like you brought a bit of them here with you because your post is fail.

I was commenting on how their posts make me laugh. If that annoys you, go somewhere els
e.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I think it's a problem with older communities, is that eventually most of the more moderate-minded people flake off and it's left with the "hardcore," bitter, angry members.

I mean, General Brawl discussion may easily be the dumbest board, but Smash64 is hands-down the most hostile, in my experience.

Oh well, I'm just a rusty "Level 4.5"esque player. :laugh:

But seriously, if you Smash64 vets want this project done in a manner acceptable to you, stop flaming Brawl idiots and get to work on it. With BrawlBox, you can even edit animations so moves will more closely resemble their Smash64 counterparts. (Hello Dash attacks.)

Alphatron

Smash Champion
It's mostly about ignorance. Smash 64 vets aren't special in having to deal with it.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Man can anyone say ANYTHING on this board without being taken seriously -_-

Btw, I remember you from the Luigi boards. It feels like you brought a bit of them here with you because your post is fail.

I was commenting on how their posts make me laugh. If that annoys you, go somewhere els
e.
>insulting someone for being moral.

General brawl discussion still makes me laugh. And what is the point bringing the Luigi discussion board into this.
It's like you're trying to troll....oh wait

but anyway...on another topic, what do you want to discuss. What do you want to know.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
You're a ****ing idiot. Please stop wasting everyone's time by posting wrong **** and go back to playing brawl.
u mad?

i have played a lot of 64 actually, and everyone has a predictable, easily edgeguarded recovery, do they not? Ness has this huge ****ing hitbox that hits you like WOAH

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
When I say predictable and easily edgeguarded I mean how you can mindlessly hop and dair and 2/3 times kill them without being touched. Ness however has this super high priority hitbox that sends you across the bloody stage if you do something wrong

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey, how about this: If you're not discussing this (awesome) hack and are just posting about Smash 64 in general, go to the Smash 64 thread. If you're not doing either of the two, stop posting before I pass out spam/trolling infractions. Kthx.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
u mad?

i have played a lot of 64 actually, and everyone has a predictable, easily edgeguarded recovery, do they not? Ness has this huge ****ing hitbox that hits you like WOAH
When I say predictable and easily edgeguarded I mean how you can mindlessly hop and dair and 2/3 times kill them without being touched. Ness however has this super high priority hitbox that sends you across the bloody stage if you do something wrong
First of all, the amount of 64 you have played isn't worth CRAP if you haven't played against good players. Second of all, I can see you know nothing recovery if you think players follow the same exact path every time they recover.

Also, Ness only has a "super high priority hitbox that sends you across the bloody stage" for the first half of PKT2. The second half he is completely vulnerable with no attack hitbox and he lags really horribly, right before falling a slow floaty death waiting for someone to knock him back. But I can see discussing this with you isn't an option, so maybe you should actually play against good players or get online on kaillera and get your *** handed to you there before you keep defending yourself on one of the WRONGEST facts of ssb EVER.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
You know, at lower levels (eg. 8 year olds playing at parties, or just non-competitive players), Ness's recovery is one of the better ones...maybe forgive the guy.

I think people get it - Ness's recovery is easy to gimp, this guy is (understandably) wrong. Ness's recovery is only 'WOAH' if you:
mindlessly hop and dair
On the topic of Brawl 64: are we keeping wall jumps?

And in response to the post below me, if you know what competitive SSB64 is like and have an account here, chances are they already do. Thanks for the ad though :p

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Perhaps you guys didn't read what mic said...

Hey, how about this: If you're not discussing this (awesome) hack and are just posting about Smash 64 in general, go to the Smash 64 thread. If you're not doing either of the two, stop posting before I pass out spam/trolling infractions. Kthx.
Please move any Smash 64 discussion to this forum, this is about Brawl 64, NOT Smash 64.

BEES

Smash Lord
I don't see a problem with walljumps. I prefer more of an 'enhanced 64 experience'. Walltechs on the other hand, might have to go.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Im guessing since it is brawl64 than it has multiple things from both versions of the game. I would say that wall techs shouldn't be in there since many of the bigger 64 combos are against walls.
Ill go through in one large post everything you need to know about smash 64.

1. High hitstun, low DI outside of Smash DI and vs Drills (any move that hits an opponent multiple times...such as fox's down air for example) and an overall bad recovery for anyone outside of Pikachu from recovering from below.
2. Throws combo into many moves but not into other throws except after walls. They still do high damage however.
3. Most moves have very high priority outside a few
4. Add Z_cancelling
5. Now I will go into specific characters, base them off of this

1. Pikachu: all high priority moves with a great recovery, can up b out of combos. great wall combos. Light, no drills, can tap a against a shield into a throw

2. Ness: Horrible recovery, can Double Jump Cancel to break shields, virtually useless smashes and b moves but great up tilt and great high priority aerials. Light, no drills

3. Fox: Best projectile, make it so the lasers will stun slightly, good combo ability but with low overall power outside of killing moves (Up Smash or up air mostly), think Sheik from melee but overall more tech skill and a better projectile, easy to combo, medium light, down air is a drill, single tap a is great for comboing, can tap a against a shield into a throw

4. Kirby: Overpowered up tilt and down air, very good at gimping, up tilt have enough hitstun to break shields, aerials are moderate outside of down air, light, semi-difficult to combo good back air, down air is a drill

5. Jigglypuff: Great throw combos, down air is a drill, good rest combos, rest is similar to melee but with slightly less power and slightly easier to combo into, very light, aerials are good for approaching, dififcult to combo

6. Mario: down air is a drill, medium weight, good overall selection of moves, good projectile, moderate recovery, up air combos well, Up smash has WTF good power, can tap a against a shield into a throw, in the middle in terms of being comboed

7. Yoshi: Can DJC but slower than Ness, odd sheild, up tilt and down tilt has Set knockback that can easily combo, eggs have high damage, horrible throw, down air is a drill, moderately heavy, can jump out of combos but otherwise is easy to combo

8. Luigi: Very floaty, medium light, down air is a drill, can tap a against a shield into a throw, up b is very good at comboing, moderately bad projectile, down b can kill as well, moderately difficult to combo

9. DK: Great Grab range (think King D3 from brawl but with a bad dash grab), bad combo ability outside of down tilt and Down air, Make Down B comboable, Excessively Heavy, Giant punch has massive hitstun vs shields, very easy to combo, up b has invincibility frames at the very beginning , no drills

10. Samus: Bad at comboing but with a good recovery and good projectiles, Bombs do not instantly explode, medium heavy, difficult to combo, floaty, the closest character to brawl in smash 64, up B can be DI'd out of (similar to a drill)

11. Captain Falcon: Make the up smash, up air, and f-throw easy to combo into one another, very easy killing potential , very easy to combo, much quicker with good priority, no drills, up b and falcon punch can COMBO

12. Link: horrible recovery (still the same in brawl ROFL), Good combo ability with projectiles, get rid of arrows, make boomerang comboable, Bad throw, good back air, good killing potential, very easy to combo, no drills, up tilt is good at comboing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom