• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Brawl at Evo 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Earlier today, SRK released the donations so far. Since MLP is out, Melee is on top with $1,400 and rising. Brawl is at...$155. What.

Okay, clearly we need some motivation to show we're not out yet. We don't have to let Melee win, Brawl does have a shot, and I'll prove it:

IF BRAWL MAKES IT UP TO AT LEAST WITHIN $1,000 OF THE TOP GAME BY NEXT WEEK, I WILL PERSONALLY DONATE $800.

And you can hold me to that.

Gea

Smash Master
Wow, I gotta say putting up $800 for your game is a sign of commitment. I wish the best of luck to you, but politely say I hope Melee wins. Rally the troops.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Thanks. Not to brag but most of what's in Brawl was mine as well.

Landry

Smash Ace
I wish some Brawl people would help support Melee. It doesn't seem likely that Brawl even really has a shot at this point but if Brawl people helped put in money for Melee and things go really well for the Melee scene at Evo then maybe the Evo staff will consider expanding their Smash selection for next year.

Dividing the community is exactly what we shouldn't be doing at a time like this.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
The Melee community was more than happy seperating themselves from us before.

Gea

Smash Master
It's still understandable that someone who loves one game and not the other would support the game of his choice, especially when Apex went extra well for Brawl. And the forum also kinda encourages rudeness and rivalries between the games.

In person though I see nothing but love except from a few pretty dumb people.

BSP

Smash Legend
Maybe you guys should've thought about that earlier.

What incentive does any brawl player have to support the melee community after the way they've treated them? I'm dead serious. Don't say to help "smash". If Brawl did, by some chance, make it to EVO, the melee community would be all over calling it trash and saying melee should be the only smash game.

It's still understandable that someone who loves one game and not the other would support the game of his choice, especially when Apex went extra well for Brawl.
That's all well and good. The problem is the blatent disrespect for Brawl that always happens and doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Gea

Smash Master
Because a vocal few = entire community. Most Melee players just think Brawl is trash, not the people/players/community. I doubt the OP wants this thread to be Melee vs Brawl. You're pretty much kicking up sand with your comments.

Landry

Smash Ace
Every game has trolls that will bash it. Melee is no exception. Blaming a whole community for something like this is pretty short sided, imo.

Evo is giving Smash a chance to participate this year despite the fact that FGC trolls rip Smash all the time. Some times you just gotta move on.

I wish some Brawl people would help support Melee. It doesn't seem likely that Brawl even really has a shot at this point but if Brawl people helped put in money for Melee and things go really well for the Melee scene at Evo then maybe the Evo staff will consider expanding their Smash selection for next year.

Dividing the community is exactly what we shouldn't be doing at a time like this.
Similar sentiments from me. If you don't like one of the games, I still would like someone to recognize that others in their community go for both and should be supportive of the people in it.

So, while I prefer brawl over melee, but still play both about equal, I would say get behind melee. With the better lead it should be given the larger heads up.

The Melee community was more than happy seperating themselves from us before.
And thus Biz. opts to continue the cycle of hate and lives up to the idiom of "an eye for an eye" :(

Osennecho

Smash Ace
As a brawl player if I were to donate this year, I'd donate to melee (but I'm cheap/broke). The thing is, melee goes way faster than brawl. I feel that if melee goes and well is melee with melee hype, then the Evo after this one will have a good chance of having both melee and brawl. If brawl goes, I don't necessarily see EVO allotting brawl all the time it might end up needing. Shoutouts to using logic. And even larger shoutouts to Salem for defying logic.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
And thus Biz. opts to continue the cycle of hate and lives up to the idiom of "an eye for an eye" :(
That's not why i want Brawl to win. There are many reasons with that being the absolute smallest one, but the main reason is that I think Brawl gets way more **** than Melee (mostly because of stuff spread around by the Melee community, just saying) and it needs the chance to shine more than Melee.

@Osennecho I don't think having Melee will be a gateway for Brawl because, let's face it; a lot of them hate Brawl. If the FGC adopts the "Melee master race" mentality, that's the end for anything but Melee.

Feels

Smash Cadet
If either one of them win, both are more likely to show up again at the next Evo.

But I do think that the Brawl players should really try to donate and make Brawl win. Support the game that you play!

And tbh, I wouldn't say that the majority of Melee hates Brawl, but you can see a lot of people just going off on Brawl In the Melee community. I would love Brawl to win so that mentality doesn't spread.

:phone:

Landry

Smash Ace
Also, Brawl has been at Evo more recently than Melee.

Give someone else a turn, guys :p

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
^This.

Also, I hate this "Melee vs. Brawl" bull****. We're supposed to be one big happy family, supporting each other and the series we love. But it feels like we're going through a divorce.

Life

Smash Hero
As the guy who is trying to weld the community back together, I will say this: if we're going to repair this community, we have to support each other's games. That means Brawlers need to support Melee-ers(?) and Melee-ers need to support Brawlers.

This is one of the times to support Melee, since most of its work is already done. Brawl will get its shot eventually (or SSB4 will come out, whichever comes first).

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
My biggest fear is that the Melee community isn't going to just want to be one big happy family and EVO will adopt the "Melee master race" mentality and not give anything that isn't Melee a chance. If that happens, you can forget about Smash 4 at EVO.

I'm not trying to be stubborn, I really do think that Brawl getting in is better for all of us.

Life

Smash Hero
My biggest fear is that (1) the Melee community isn't going to just want to be one big happy family and (2) EVO will adopt the "Melee master race" mentality and not give anything that isn't Melee a chance. If that happens, you can forget about Smash 4 at EVO.

I'm not trying to be stubborn, I really do think that Brawl getting in is better for all of us.
1. If every Melee player wanted to stop complaining about Brawl they would. That's what I try to combat.
2. Um, no? Let's say EVO completely ignores Brawl for the rest of existence. Why would they ignore Smash 4? It's a non sequitur; it doesn't follow. Because one good game had a "lesser" sequel (from their perspective), suddenly it'll never have a good one again? Do you need to be reminded of the original Street Fighter? (Yeah, technically not a sequel, same situation).

Furthermore, I do think Melee is better to watch for people who don't play Smash (read FGC). This is about getting new people to play Smash, right?

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I've been paying attention to the Melee community's feelings about Smash 4, and it's mostly pessimism and "Melee will be better anyway". I don't want this to become the mindset of EVO.

Also, I've been watching Melee and it's really not more hype than Brawl now. I'm noticing Brawl players are moving around a lot more and some are becoming a lot more aggressive, while a lot of Melee players are kinda slowing down and playing it safe. I think that a lot of the "Melee is more hype" mentality comes from people asserting their opinion as fact and it just stuck.

strawhats

Smash Master
I heard a couple of brawl players after melee LFs and GFs say..."TBH I never really cared for or watched melee all that closely, but damn high level melee is ****ing awsome to watch"

Don't know who said that, but from It made me smile inside. Brawl GFs were hype as **** from what I hear. So good on ya.

Landry

Smash Ace
Also, I've been watching Melee and it's really not more hype than Brawl now. I'm noticing Brawl players are moving around a lot more and some are becoming a lot more aggressive, while a lot of Melee players are kinda slowing down and playing it safe.
lol. Dude, not try to be "that guy" but come on...

Djent

Smash Champion
Melee is not always entertaining, and Brawl is not always boring. But Melee is more likely to be entertaining.

That being said, people should vote for whatever game they love and want in EVO. Melee, Brawl, or others. But let's not appeal to fake "Smash Community" rhetoric when Melee and Brawl players alike have rejected unity in the past.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Melee players couldn't even be arsed to vote for Brawl in the poll - and now they want Brawlers to give them money? **** outta here. :psycho:
No, we don't want someone like you to give US money. We don't even want someone like you to give money to EVO on OUR behalf. We do want everyone who considers themselves Smash players to donate for the more popular option that already has a sizable lead. Even if we spared a few dollars for Brawl's donation, do you really think that we wouldn't put more effort into our preferred game? Many people already voted with their wallets and, while we won't ask those who dislike Melee to donate, I think those of you who would like to see a Smash game get into EVO would be better off not dividing our total donation so that potentially neither game gets in.

Gea

Smash Master
Melee players couldn't even be arsed to vote for Brawl in the poll - and now they want Brawlers to give them money? **** outta here. :psycho:
On the other hand, Brawlers did not rally as tightly to promote Brawl in the poll and it looks like before the rulechange announcement all of two Brawl players gave money to promote their own game.

People need to stop victimizing themselves. Everyone has their own personal choice to make regarding this, and blaming each other isn't very good encouragement to help someone make the correct choice for themselves.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
A lot of melee players did vote for Brawl and many more asked others to support Brawl as well so dunno what you're talking about. I don't disagree though that we're entitled to nothing from your community and you should invest in the game you like.

Djent

Smash Champion
On the other hand, Brawlers did not rally as tightly to promote Brawl in the poll and it looks like before the rulechange announcement all of two Brawl players gave money to promote their own game.

People need to stop victimizing themselves. Everyone has their own personal choice to make regarding this, and blaming each other isn't very good encouragement to help someone make the correct choice for themselves.
I agree that Brawl players didn't rally as hard for the poll. But do you really think many Melee players supported Brawl? There are tons more Brawl players that like Melee than Melee players that like Brawl - I'd really like to see you try to dispute this. It's evident everywhere, from the crowds during a Grand Finals set to the stream chat of any Smash tournament. This hardly absolves the Brawl players for their lack of support, but it ties nicely into the other point I'm looking to make:

This isn't about "victimization" - it's about being realistic. Go to any SRK article reporting on Brawl, and you'll find tons of Melee kids trying to disown the Brawl community. Now that Melee has a legit shot at EVO and all you hear is talk of the "Smash" community. I guess now that Melee players have a use for Brawl players, we can talk about "unification." But it's all disingenuous - they only care about Brawl players when there's something to be gained from them.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
I agree that Brawl players didn't rally as hard for the poll. But do you really think many Melee players supported Brawl? There are tons more Brawl players that like Melee than Melee players that like Brawl - I'd really like to see you try to dispute this. It's evident everywhere, from the crowds during a Grand Finals set to the stream chat of any Smash tournament. This hardly absolves the Brawl players for their lack of support, but it ties nicely into the other point I'm looking to make:

This isn't about "victimization" - it's about being realistic. Go to any SRK article reporting on Brawl, and you'll find tons of Melee kids trying to disown the Brawl community. Now that Melee has a legit shot at EVO and all you hear is talk of the "Smash" community. I guess now that Melee players have a use for Brawl players, we can talk about "unification." But it's all disingenuous - they only care about Brawl players when there's something to be gained from them.
Yes, indeed. We're only using you. I'm gonna hope you just missed my last post cuz you were busy typing this one out. Everyone who wants to donate for Brawl, I wish you the best of luck. But on the subject of being realistic, Skullgirls has jumped right behind us with $1846 to Melee's $1945. We are in a lot of danger right now from having NO Smash at EVO. I apologize if I'm too busy fighting for my favorite fighting game to spare a few dollars to your cause. I guess I'm just being realistic. I'd appreciate it if all the realistic Brawl fans would help out the one chance Smash has of being at EVO. And I'd appreciate it even more if everyone else would chip in too.

You have to realize that article comments feature the lowest of the low in internet culture. I understand that even on Smashboards, the Melee community isn't the kindest to you guys. But recognize that a vocal minority becomes a VERY vocal minority when it comes to the trash that you can find in that SRK article's comments.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
This thread is really depressing me. Like, I'm willing to shell out almost a thousand bucks and people would rather ***** than donate.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
This thread is really depressing me. Like, I'm willing to shell out almost a thousand bucks and people would rather ***** than donate.
So is there no chance that any of that could go to Melee if people continue to not donate? Cuz I'd give you the code for a $10 Itunes giftcard if you helped us out. ;)

/10bribes

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
No. I'm not going to waste all of that on a game I don't really care about, just so haters can use "we were in EVO" to bash my game.

Landry

Smash Ace
^You are a worse troll than the people you're arguing against. If you want to be a **** please keep it to yourself and don't bring that **** on Smashboards.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
No. I'm not going to waste all of that on a game I don't really care about, just so haters can use "we were in EVO" to bash my game.
I'm willing to shell out almost a thousand bucks and people would rather ***** than donate.
Welp. :c Anyone else? I think you Brawl fans are better than that (^) and I hope we can get your support!

Edit: I should add that I was really impressed with your Grand Finals at APEX. Nice showing there and a surprising amount of hype.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Are you really that upset that I don't want to donate to Melee that you're going to call me a troll and a hypocrite for not giving a game I don't care too much about with a community that's rather hostile to ours $800 just because?

Okay, your insults worked. Here, take my money, you guilted me out of almost a thousand dollars, because that totally works.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I'm torn. Brawl's my game, and if every set could be at least <comparable> to GFs last night, then I'd say to hell with it: Brawl all the way. But I have a feeling that there'd be a preponderance of what we saw during Anti vs. M2K than of Salem vs. M2K. People just don't play Brawl with balls, and until they do, I can't see it being successful outside of grassroots events.

Of course, I do recognize the Melee community's fairly consistent ostracizing of us, but I think it would speak volumes if the Brawl community supported them, and they failed to reciprocate thereafter (not to say they'd be obliged to, but rather, should the need ever arise and they skip out).

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Well I'll say most of that money Brawl has right now I donated a day ago. I'm not into the Melee Vs. Brawl bit. I play Brawl now so I'll contribute to that with any extra money I get which is fine because the money donations I do won't actually hurt my pocket.

Landry

Smash Ace
Are you really that upset that I don't want to donate to Melee that you're going to call me a troll and a hypocrite for not giving a game I don't care too much about with a community that's rather hostile to ours $800 just because?
No one wants your money. That doesn't mean you're not a hypocrite. Your attitude is exactly the reason why Brawl won't be at Evo. You're not willing to put your community ahead of your personal choice in game. At this point it seems like most people are willing to donate to Melee because they realize its the right thing to do for Smash in general. I hope you do end up donating your $1000 to Brawl because at least it will go to a good cause. Just don't expect too many people to follow your example because most people around here aren't selfish enough to put their own personal preferences ahead of the good of our community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom