• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Brawl at Evo 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSP

Smash Legend
You donated to melee. Unfortunately, you help some stupid jerks, but the game is worth the donation.

:phone:

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
I almost regret donating to melee when I keep reading things like this.
the truth hurts man, the game just isn't that good. that being said, i just dropped $50 for brawl because of Biz_R dropping bones for melee. Also, ESAM beat my *** at apex so I can't say brawl players suck, just their ****ty game choice. A reluctant $50 for brawl from this melee fan boy.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Rare prog post on the brawl boards.

I talk to Will (Broccoli Kong) fairly often, and I say this about Brawl. It's not my game, but I can definitely learn from it. It requires a different skill set that a lot of Melee players can learn from.

In terms of big events, ask Mike Haze what I've been promoting. I have a group of Melee players who are making videos to play on stream during downtime, to increase visibility/ knowledge of the game for first time viewers/show the history behind the game. Mike Haze is part of this group so he can create his own group for Brawl using us as a template. King Funk is part of this group so he can do the same for 64. IE is in the group, who knows if he'll be doing that for P:M when that is done.

We are all under the same umbrella, whether we like it or not. And of course, there are rifts. Talk to people who prefer Third Strike to SSF4:AE. Mention SFxT in the same breath as MvC2. However, there are people who want to unify, or at least realize that we are mentioned in the same breath. I'm trying to be an example, but its hard to break the indoctrinated beliefs that are deeply entrenched in so many people.

That being said, to all of you who have supported SSBM, thanks. To all of you who have supported SSBB, thanks as well.

[scientology]

zmx

Smash Lord
I would not even say the skill set required between the two games is that drastically different, A LOT of things carry over and in between the two.

How followups work is largely the same. You read their DI/Air Dodge and space them accordingly. Obviously the followup potential is less in Brawl because of less hitstun, air dodges being safer etc. but it's not black and white. Tech chases are still here, as are landing traps, frame traps and more.

I think if more Melee players were open minded they'd realize a lot of the reasons they love Melee so much also apply to Brawl (I had one raging fanboy tell me Melee was so good because of what I said above not realizing all of that was still in Brawl), but they are too busy listening to the mob mentality and people that have clearly never played Brawl.

There are also countless new things to learn as well but from trying to reason with Melee players it seems like a lot of their preconcieved notions of Brawl are based off sheer ignorance.

Edit:

This is also why it's inaccurate to say Brawl is just a watered down version of Melee. A lot of returning characters have been given an overhaul, moveset wise so they feel like completely new characters. Then there are the actual new characters in the game and the drastically different mechanics and playstyles they bring to the table.

And all of that is without including all the new ATs Brawl has.

>people with breast cancer
>stupid jerks

Nice.
If you had reading comprehension you'd realize he's talking about the decent chunk of Melee players that waste no time bashing Brawl at any and every oppertunity.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
I would not even say the skill set required between the two games is that drastically different, A LOT of things carry over and in between the two.

How followups work is largely the same. You read their DI/Air Dodge and space them accordingly. Obviously the followup potential is less in Brawl because of less hitstun, air dodges being safer etc. but it's not black and white. Tech chases are still here, as are landing traps, frame traps and more.

I think if more Melee players were open minded they'd realize a lot of the reasons they love Melee so much also apply to Brawl (I had one raging fanboy tell me Melee was so good because of what I said above not realizing all of that was still in Brawl), but they are too busy listening to the mob mentality and people that have clearly never played Brawl.

There are also countless new things to learn as well but from trying to reason with Melee players it seems like a lot of their preconcieved notions of Brawl are based off sheer ignorance.
melee has all the things that brawl does and then hella lot more **** on top of that. it's just the deeper game hands down, that's why i enjoy playing it more than brawl. brawl takes mad skill tho, it just isn't the same hype monster in my own opinion. I agree, there are a lot of nubs who say stupid ****, but think of it through the eyes of a top melee player, brawl would just not add up to you. Melee is great, because it offers near limitless options to the player, brawl has a limiting factor to it that I just don't like. I hate being limited by the game, it's kinda why I don't like traditional fighters.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
melee has all the things that brawl does and then hella lot more **** on top of that. it's just the deeper game hands down, that's why i enjoy playing it more than brawl. brawl takes mad skill tho, it just isn't the same hype monster in my own opinion. I agree, there are a lot of nubs who say stupid ****, but think of it through the eyes of a top melee player, brawl would just not add up to you. Melee is great, because it offers near limitless options to the player, brawl has a limiting factor to it that I just don't like. I hate being limited by the game, it's kinda why I don't like traditional fighters.
I can get this, even more so from the traditional fighters standpoint.

Gea

Smash Master
Are you really that ignorant? People are asking for togetherness and every bit helps, but look at all the people pulling the weight right now. Are they people that actively take a dump on the Brawl community?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Apparently so, btw axe bodied me hard with his Pika and Young Link in pools for lol with ESAM and his god Samus.

But more or less, I don't get the hate really, but people want to link hate of a game for other people.

I mean I hate project M but I give no hate to people liking it and still support it.

:phone:

Landry

Smash Ace
Some people would rather just drink the koolaid instead of making informed decisions for themselves.

Life

Smash Hero
Rare prog post on the brawl boards.

I talk to Will (Broccoli Kong) fairly often, and I say this about Brawl. It's not my game, but I can definitely learn from it. It requires a different skill set that a lot of Melee players can learn from.

In terms of big events, ask Mike Haze what I've been promoting. I have a group of Melee players who are making videos to play on stream during downtime, to increase visibility/ knowledge of the game for first time viewers/show the history behind the game. Mike Haze is part of this group so he can create his own group for Brawl using us as a template. King Funk is part of this group so he can do the same for 64. IE is in the group, who knows if he'll be doing that for P:M when that is done.

We are all under the same umbrella, whether we like it or not. And of course, there are rifts. Talk to people who prefer Third Strike to SSF4:AE. Mention SFxT in the same breath as MvC2. However, there are people who want to unify, or at least realize that we are mentioned in the same breath. I'm trying to be an example, but its hard to break the indoctrinated beliefs that are deeply entrenched in so many people.

That being said, to all of you who have supported SSBM, thanks. To all of you who have supported SSBB, thanks as well.

[scientology]
Oh look, prog talking sense.

If your attitude is "it's the other game's fans' fault", you are a part of the problem.

zmx

Smash Lord
But Melee DOESN'T have everything Brawl does, that's my point.

It doesn't have DACUSes, glide tossing, command grabs, gliding, pivot grabs (brawl styled are different) etc.

If I want to play a character that has item projectiles and controls the stage with these and other traps (Diddy Kong and Snake for instance), I can't play Melee because Melee doesn't have characters like that. That's a totally different playstyle and approach to anything in Melee.

That's why I enjoy both. They offer me something different and unique while sticking to the same core formula we know and love.

Life

Smash Hero
90% of Brawl techs are either really easy (most common things) or totally absurd (DDD's pivot grab infinite, DK's non-slope invincicopter, arguably DACUS depending on the context, some of IC's chaingrabs, TL's bomb-canceled dsmash gimp, Diddy's single naner lock, probably more I'm forgetting).

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I wish OPs could delete their own threads, because I really want to right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom