• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Common Courtesy.. Are You A Respectful Brawler?

SothE700k

Smash Lord
I'll start off the 7A topic.
If its a regular match, friendly, whatever, and something absolutely epic happens and both agree to stop the match to save it, go for it. Its all in the matter of both parties in agreement though, so if one doesn't want to stop, but the other does anyway, that's utter disrespect.

Tournament matches itself. The only way I can see it being in a respectful way is if one person has to leave for something, be it a ride came and there's no way to negotiate 5 more minutes of playtime with them, or an emergency occurs (a real one, not "omg, girlfriend/boyfriend called me, I have to leave"), and both people agree and shake hands on it.
The term "rage quit" is there for a reason. You're so angry about how something isn't going your way, and you quit out (possibly with a followup of a controller slam). Its definitely disrespectful to the other player and others watching, but it could be up there for as disrespectful as disrespectful gets. No one likes a quitter, and no one likes a whiny smasher either.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I will have to respond to this by each individual low blow. I'll start with the first one and edit from there.

Gimping a character with tether recovery: I usually build up the enemy's damage and KO the enemy with a powerful attack. The tutorial videos showed this as the most basic method of KO'ing enemies.

Trapping the enemy in an infinite loop: This is stuff I'd rather not know about. Again, I rely on raw power and the moves at my character's disposal, not infinite loops.

Swallowing or spitting out enemies below the stage: Occasionally, I'll use Kirby's copy ability or King Dedede's mouth cannon-esque Inhale ability, but instead of the cheap method of spitting them out below the stage, I'd rather spit one enemy into another, damaging both.

Attacking or KO'ing a tripped enemy: I only do this towards comp players. I can only imagine human players quickly standing up. There wouldn't be enough time for me to attack. The trips make little difference to me.

Attacking or KO'ing a taunted enemy: I can't help but take the opportunity to KO the boastful characters who do this. After I KO an enemy, I just keep right on attacking the enemy party. Instead of kicking the enemy's (beep) and taunting him or her, I kick their (beep) and kick their (beep) again.

Spamming: The closest I come to spamming frequently is using about four of the 20 moves at the characters disposal for whole minutes at a time. When I use a move repeatedly, I usually cast a Special Move four times in a row then switch to the other moves.

No Contesting: I'm glad I thought of this. If you're playing with me and you use the No Contest trick, you're either doing it at the beginning of a match to fix an option in the setup (like picking the wrong stage or forgetting to set up the object of time or stock), or you automatically lose, or both. I don't exempt myself from this rule.

Bragging about skill: On those rare occasions that I do brag, it's usually about something slightly in-depth, like knowing the terrain of the stages. I've declared myself an intermediate player, so beginners MIGHT call it bragging just for saying it.

Greeting: If I went to a tournament, I'd ask what setup, options, and rules they have in mind to see how they wanted to play.

Taunting: I usually don't taunt because it leaves me open to attack. To me, it's all about conquering first and celebrating later.

Cursing: I hate to use curse words in public. I believe they call them curse words because they're words that are cursed. For example: "In the 1340's, the Europeans stopped calling it skite and started calling it (beep), the same time as the Black Plague. The Plague was believed to be the work of dark magic, an affliction brought upon them by a mass utterance of a word of curse [curse word]."

Trashing: I'm perfectly fine with cleaning up after myself, but it's when I have to clean up the whole thing before I leave that I'm not always ready and willing.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
I will have to respond to this by each individual low blow. I'll start with the first one and edit from there.

Gimping a character with tether recovery: I usually build up the enemy's damage and KO the enemy with a powerful attack. The tutorial videos showed this as the most basic method of KO'ing enemies.

Trapping the enemy in an infinite loop: This is stuff I'd rather not know about. Again, I rely on raw power and the moves at my character's disposal, not infinite loops.
You don't bother gimping characters by edge hogging?
Infinates may seem cheap, but if it's legal I'll use it at my disposal.

About the No contesting, I don't think it's wrong if the outcome is obvious. Matter of fact, it allows you to end the match earlier to start up another one. That's the only time I use no contesting.

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
On the topic of attacking or ko'ing a taunting enemy, I'm going to attack unless they truly deserve to taunt me (such as killing me with an aerial reverse warlock punch) or they use Falcon's down taunt, but any other time they're eating an Aura Sphere for it.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
About the No contesting, I don't think it's wrong if the outcome is obvious. Matter of fact, it allows you to end the match earlier to start up another one. That's the only time I use no contesting.
Online or what? And there is always a chance for someone to make a come back, sometimes people don't play to their fullest the first match so they can watch your playing style..

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
^
What I mean is, if Player 1 is edgehogged by Player 2 or is going to die from a star KO (Assuming he's out of lives) then I do the No Contest to skip the Game Set sequence. It's not to be rude or because I'm a sore loser, it's just to move on to the next match quickly. However, when I do this I make sure it's cool with my opponent and most of the time they are. I also only do this in Friendlies.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
This is a great idea... for friendlies. If you are playing competitively its a golden oppertunity to hit your opponent when they taunt.

If your goal was to sway the SBR to this idea, it's not likely to happen.

But otherwise, good job :).

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
This is a great idea... for friendlies. If you are playing competitively its a golden oppertunity to hit your opponent when they taunt.

If your goal was to sway the SBR to this idea, it's not likely to happen.

But otherwise, good job :).
I don't even know what the SBR is... I just made this topic for General Discussion to see what people thought, and to share ideas...

You can post on any of the topics, just please label which one you are speaking on.
The current discussion at the moment however is Discussion 7:A and 5:B.

(PLEASE SEND IN MORE IDEAS, SO WE CAN KEEP THE THREAD RUNNING SMOOTHLY. =D THANKYOU.)

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Do you think we could do a topic on what you should do when you lose badly? Or what to do when your opponent is NOT a respectful Brawler?

day-day

Smash Ace
The SBR is the Smash.Back.Room aqua.
I guess I'm a respectable brawler when it comes to facing people I don't know. I'll give them their props if I lose. I won't throw a hissy fit over it like some of the people I faced..*"Your Sonic is cheap."" Stop using Pit's arrows and fight me like a man""All you do is use grenades"*. I do sometimes do it in good fun when me and my family are having a fam. only tourney. They like to talk trash so I just take it until I win then after that all I say is just: "Did you get hit by the popeye punch? I'm not sure if I saw that right but I think you did get hit by Sonic's popeye punch". :laugh:. I'm a real nice guy though and I won't sit there and throw every insult from my cul-de-sac at you. I'll give you your props whether you win or lose.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Do you think we could do a topic on what you should do when you lose badly? Or what to do when your opponent is NOT a respectful Brawler?
I don't know what kind of question I would put for the first idea you listed, but the second one seems really great, but what can I put for examples ect?

day-day

Smash Ace
If it's with family I do the day-day dance or the one Ed is doing in my sig. They only get the dance if they talked trash the whole match. A classic scenario I'm used to is, "Why you pick Sonic? Sonic's trash but then again you are too. Sonic's at the bottom of the tier list anyway and your defense is terrible". Right.... It always leads me to debunking their accusation about Sonic being bottom tier which leads to more of their trash talk. After winning though, I just say, "So is Sonic still trash? I thought so, good game though. Maybe next time you'll know what your talking about before you throw insults".

Scott!

Smash Lord
Oh god, this thread is reborn.

If you really have to leave, or if a setting is wrong, or the wrong stage picked, then you can "No Contest" out, but only with permission from your opponent. Otherwise, it's just not very classy. And if you do it because you're losing, and because you suck, then you don't deserve to win, because you suck. Finish the match, try to come back, and learn something. It's more experience. Even the best players have been 3-stocked before, and even the most technically skilled players have SD'd stupidly. No Johns, fool.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Oh god, this thread is reborn.

If you really have to leave, or if a setting is wrong, or the wrong stage picked, then you can "No Contest" out, but only with permission from your opponent. Otherwise, it's just not very classy. And if you do it because you're losing, and because you suck, then you don't deserve to win, because you suck. Finish the match, try to come back, and learn something. It's more experience. Even the best players have been 3-stocked before, and even the most technically skilled players have SD'd stupidly. No Johns, fool.
That is true and that's a great way to see things, This is going in the OP. =D

Discussion 8:A, is now open for discussion. =D

day-day

Smash Ace
8:A is "what do you do when you win?" am I right?
When I win I just say good match, it depends on the person though. If they were a jerk to me then they don't deserve my respect for fighting them. I'll let it slide at times and still say good match or good game. If I don't let it slide then they're getting the Ed dance lol jk

Scott!

Smash Lord
When I win, depending on if I won awesomely, I'll either not react much, or if it's important/awesome, I'll just grin to myself.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
If I win a big match, I'll stand up and shake hands with my opponent. And IMO, its good to judge how your opponent is feeling before you try to compliment or advise them. If you can tell they're a little upset about the match, you shouldn't try to give them suggestions or give them a play-byplay synopsis of how they did. :laugh: That really can just make it worse sometimes.

If you can tell they're cool about it, then you should go ahead and try to give them a suggestion if you can. That way, you've both gained something from it. And ofcourse, a good sincere compliment is one of the best things you can give here.

Even if your opponent was an *** about it, give 'em your respects. :)

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
personally when me and my friends start a match, we taunt then start the brawl. then as soon as one player or its down the last two in a ffa , we taunt again.

so i stick with common courtesy outside of the game, but in game, if something gets annoying, well ask the perpetrator to stop. theyll usually do it

like at my first brawl tourney. My match was Ike VS Ike. we were like wow, this is interesting. i won. but he was a good sport about it, didnt complain. he lawled at my amazing comeback, was down 3, in a 4 stock match, and cameback and won

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
personally when me and my friends start a match, we taunt then start the brawl. then as soon as one player or its down the last two in a ffa , we taunt again.

so i stick with common courtesy outside of the game, but in game, if something gets annoying, well ask the perpetrator to stop. theyll usually do it

like at my first brawl tourney. My match was Ike VS Ike. we were like wow, this is interesting. i won. but he was a good sport about it, didnt complain. he lawled at my amazing comeback, was down 3, in a 4 stock match, and cameback and won
4 stock? What kind of tourny were you playing lol...

Anyways Dragon I'm putting your posting in the OP.

NOW DISCUSSING- DISCUSSION 6.B: (Starts on page 36)
What do you do when you win?

DISCUSSION 7.B: (Starts on page 37)
How do you tell someone you don't want to be their doubles partner?

(Sorry I changed the first new discussion to the B section, I didn't put it in the right one earlier.)

IGoogleStuff

Smash Rookie
If you are playing brawl. And someone taunts you, trips, or us going to recover if you don't gimp, do anything you can to destroy their lives. It's a game, the game was designed with these tactics. If the situation arises where you can get a kill, take it!

day-day

Smash Ace
If you don't want to be someone's doubles partner you should give them a reason as to why they might not be a suitable partner for you. Don't be harsh about it but let them know nice and easy. Think about what you would want someone to say to you if they didn't want to be your partner. Don't jusy say, "Hey, me and you? It's not working". You should try a couple of matches with the person at least. Never know as you might find them to be a good partner. If you two find a good connection between each other you should help each other out. Critique each other and look at match-ups. Most people though are willing to take anyone as their partner regardless of their skill. I'm willing to give anyone a chance regardless of whether their new or been around on the scene for awhile. If we lose then I'll just say we did the best we could and we'll do better next time.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
6B- I think the best thing to do when you win is firstly congragulate your opponent for the enjoyable, competetive brawl. Shake their hand, say that they were good games and that you hope you can play the person again sometime in the future. If the person is looking down just give them one or two tips on how they could improve. You'll be surprised how much people listen to players who are better than them. But don't flood them with tips or you'll make them feel like they have nothing good in their gameplay.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
If you don't want to be someone's doubles partner you should give them a reason as to why they might not be a suitable partner for you. Don't be harsh about it but let them know nice and easy. Think about what you would want someone to say to you if they didn't want to be your partner. Don't jusy say, "Hey, me and you? It's not working". You should try a couple of matches with the person at least. Never know as you might find them to be a good partner. If you two find a good connection between each other you should help each other out. Critique each other and look at match-ups. Most people though are willing to take anyone as their partner regardless of their skill. I'm willing to give anyone a chance regardless of whether their new or been around on the scene for awhile. If we lose then I'll just say we did the best we could and we'll do better next time.
Actually you would be suprised around here how many people have set partners and won't change for anything.

And what if its like a good friend or something?

!! It's Chandy!! ^^

day-day

Smash Ace
Those people should expand out more then lol You could find a partner whose better then your set partner.
What if it's a good friend? Wouldn't hurt to team up with someone you've never played with before would it? Teaming up with someone who plays different characters might lead to some good combination's of characters.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
6B: What else are you suppose to do? Just sit there at the television after the match staring into oblivion? Durr, you shake hands. If you're the comical kind of person though, go ahead and make some funny comments/gestures on your death among other things (as long as everyone knows you're kidding and its within boundaries).

7B: There's really no other, and better, way of saying it than, "Sorry, but thank you for the offer anyway." There's plenty of reasons as to why some people don't want to team with others, such as:
*Wanting to find a certain character to pair up with
*Wishing to team up with an established player
*Just doesn't want to do doubles
*Wants to explore new partners
*etc etc

Unless the person says to you, "you suck at the game, that's why", don't take the turn down personally. There's plenty of other people willing to team up, so happy hunting!

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
Just tell em that Our playing styles just dont seem to blend enough.
Or Maybe next time after we practice some more doubles together.
Or yeah, maybe u do just wanna explore new partners and get the feel of what its like to be partnered up with a different character. But i wouldnt wait till the tourney day to do that :p

Top Bottom