• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Common Courtesy.. Are You A Respectful Brawler?

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
Profanity-laced taunts are tasteless IMO

Really, my taunt comments are to tell my opponent if I need to leave soon

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
What a pathetic thread.
This is easier said than understood....

Remember the dysfunctionality I mentioned earlier in this thread? THIS above post applies to it.:ohwell:

But where is my respect? My respect is me holding back on derogative comments to this user. lol

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
One of the huge reasons to follow any rules of the hosting building is because of who will get blamed.

The tournament operator. Let's say a small tourney is in a local store. When that store is trashed, who is the owner going to complain to? The guy who brought the mess makers to the store in the first place.

Let's say there is a larger regional scale tournament going on. What if the building is the only building around capable of housing over 100 people/agree to the people coming in the first place? If the place is trashed the owner is going to have serious doubts about letting another tournament happen here again; my guess would be that he will say no next time around.

The TO is going to be blamed, the owner of the building isn't going to allow another tourney there again, and its the players' fault for being too lazy to pick up after themselves or follow some simple rules.
Which would mean less tournaments in total.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Unless I win with Pink Luigi...I don't rub it in. I always taunt if I get a KO, but that's part of the usual game, as mostly everyone does it.

I used Captain Falcon and beat my friend's Metaknight(with a Falcon Punch no less), but I didn't rub it in. It was a lot of fun.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Perhaps this category of discussions has been exhausted? I personally don't have any more ideas, not that I had any in the first place, but that's neither here nor there.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Nah, some people just sent in some ideas, I think it's because of spring break this thread slowed down. We should be more active now though.

DISCUSSION 6.A IS UP NOW.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
(Spam. How much is too much)

First off, I would like to add that spamming isnt really a manner of being a disrespectful Brawler. Most people implement the overuse of an attack into their playstyle, not only because a move is newbie-friendly, like Pit's Forward Smash. Maybe because they like the move, or it is just a reflex in using the character. This especially applies to the younger crowd of Smash players. Constantly using Ike's Forward Smash may not be a great idea, but my cousin just freaking loves the power and earth-trembling of it.

Then again, if one spams as a means of being cheap to his opponent, that is one story. There is no level of spam. Spam is spam, really.

♥

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
No amount.

Spam is really punishable and obvious. If a Pikachu I'm fighting is constantly trying to thunderbolt me when I'm anywhere near above him, it becomes obvious soon and very punishable; I could bait a thunderbolt and just fastfall for a grab, smash, or whatever.

Some MK who always spams DSmash? OH GEE I WONDER WUT HE'S GOING TO DO WHEN I'M BEHIND OR IN FRONT OF HIM AT HIGH PERCENTS?!? Sheildgrab says hi, or really any way to avoid it says hi.

Spamming isn't disrespectful. Spamming is a viable tactic that's usually punishable, unless you're playing against a character who can really do nothing against one of your attacks, like MK's tornado.

Nicole

Smash Champion
Spamming : there can't be TOO much. For the purposes of this discussion, at least. Spamming is perfectly respectful, it just shows a low skill level. You can pick Meta Knight and spam Dsmash, Shuttle Loop, and Tornado all you like, and you might win some matches too. It doesn't mean you're any good though.

Spammers can only go so far in a tournament. Good players know how to get around spamming. If spamming is disrespectful to anyone, it's disrespectful to yourself. By relying on spam, you're not learning your character to their potential, and aren't playing to your own potential. Basically, you're keeping yourself at a mediocre level of play. And nobody wants that.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Spamming : there can't be TOO much. For the purposes of this discussion, at least. Spamming is perfectly respectful, it just shows a low skill level. You can pick Meta Knight and spam Dsmash, Shuttle Loop, and Tornado all you like, and you might win some matches too. It doesn't mean you're any good though.

Spammers can only go so far in a tournament. Good players know how to get around spamming. If spamming is disrespectful to anyone, it's disrespectful to yourself. By relying on spam, you're not learning your character to their potential, and aren't playing to your own potential. Basically, you're keeping yourself at a mediocre level of play. And nobody wants that.

This supports my input to the fullest, fyi. :D

+♥

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet

If it works who cares what others think? It doesnt show low skill level. Heck, can you even define spamming?
Give me a definition of spam that is clear cut and ill believe you. Is it doing the same move 5 times a row? 4 times is pretty close to that, is that spamming to?
Why bothering marking it with a name at all? If its a show of low skill surely you have no problems countering it. If you cant counter it however...

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
If it works who cares what others think? It doesnt show low skill level. Heck, can you even define spamming?
Give me a definition of spam that is clear cut and ill believe you. Is it doing the same move 5 times a row? 4 times is pretty close to that, is that spamming to?
Why bothering marking it with a name at all? If its a show of low skill surely you have no problems countering it. If you cant counter it however...
This brings up a good argument. You see, people automatically assume the repetive use of a move is spam, but the word "spam" itself is something constant, unwanted, and annoying. This isnt really the case for most players. If somebody makes use of a move alot, people will eventually find a way around it. Thus, it isnt spam, because it isnt serving the purpose of spam.

People are quick to address things. There is a fine line between spam and higher usage of an attack.

♥

Nicole

Smash Champion
This is getting philosophical!

Of course it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of your playstyle. But spamming IS illustrative of lower skill - do you see any pros spamming? M2K? Ally? DSF? Snakeeee? I don't see those guys relying on just a couple moves per match. One of the most interesting things about watching the higher level players is that they utilize their character's full moveset.

Defining "spam," of course you can't just set a rule that using a move ___ times in a row is spam. It's not so much doing a move ___ times in a row anyway, but how often you rely on the same one, two, or three moves during the match. A real spammer would use the same few moves even when their opponent found a way around it. Which is why getting in the habit of spamming is problematic - which is what I was getting at with my first post. Spamming keeps you from reaching your potential as a player.

As for countering spam, you have to play smart and differently than you normally would. People spam moves that are good! Players (like myself) who aren't particularly great will certainly not have the easiest time getting around it. Players who ARE good, however, shouldn't have any problems winning. Tournament winners don't spam moves. That's all there is to it.

FatalFrost

Smash Rookie
I think you make some VERY strong points.
However, during casual play, I'm not going to choose not to swear becasue I'm scared that a little kid might see it. I don't swear much anyway, but when I do, I don't blame myself if they get in trouble for it. ESPECIALLY if they are under 13.

Smudge

Smash Lord
I'd like to think i'm a respectful brawler, doing the usual respectful things.

Wishing the opponent luck, shaking hands, saying good game at the end whether you win or lose. All the usual jazz.

I mean, theres nothing that annoys me more if someone tries to put you down after a game, or doesn't show mutual respect.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I think you make some VERY strong points.
However, during casual play, I'm not going to choose not to swear becasue I'm scared that a little kid might see it. I don't swear much anyway, but when I do, I don't blame myself if they get in trouble for it. ESPECIALLY if they are under 13.
I don't think age really matters in that sense. A child is a child. A 21 year old living with his parents could still be scolded for that, because a few parents have those standards. But yes, it most likely occurs with those under 13, but as my first post stated ( I think) they are only disrespecting themselves if it bothers them.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Ironboots.....Turtle, turtle, turtle, turtle. -_- Drove me nuts. But it worked.

I am going to chime in on this topic later but I cant write much right now, I'm in class. x]

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I literally rip my controller out of the Wii when I lose to someone I feel I shouldn't have. And if a scrub takes a match off me (even though its only happened cause I was sandbagging) I yell FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK at the top of my lungs that everyone in the venue can hear.

That doesn't make me a bad sport does it?

Nicole

Smash Champion
Ironboots.....Turtle, turtle, turtle, turtle. -_- Drove me nuts. But it worked.

I am going to chime in on this topic later but I cant write much right now, I'm in class. x]
Hey now, against DDD there's not a whole lot else I could do :)

Plus I am scared of DDD and don't like to be anywhere near him. Turtle keeps a safe distance!

Nicole

Smash Champion
WHY is this, one of the few actually good and useful threads, on page THREE?!?!?!?

(I fixed that problem)

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
No one will actually respond to any topic thats why.. T.T
It's bad, really bad.

Plus noobs keep making dumb bored?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It happens to the best and worst of threads. Unless stickied, this thread will eventually die.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
We need to get it stickied. I think it deserves one. Seriously.
We need to pull together so this thread doesnt die. There is tons more to discuss.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
About discussion #5 B, its because that hardly happens, and those who do usually aren't let back >__>
Thats pretty much all there is to it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
LMAO I looked at the OP... what a long and drawn out way to explain the correct way to say 'no johns.'

Or perhaps I'm just being reductive :p

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
DISCUSSION 7A: DISCUSS!!!!
No Contest'ing, Whats respectable, what's not?
(Possible reasons: For the replay, Because they were going to lose, Technical Reasons at a tourny...,ect)

LETS BRING THIS THREAD BACK.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
It wasn't done. I want to make it active again.

I'm making more images for the opening, and fixing everything up.
I won't be satisfied until the opening atleast looks finished.

Top Bottom