• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Common Courtesy.. Are You A Respectful Brawler?

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
They brought the subject up! and im almost 15. -_-
You insult me so much...
---------------------------

This thread is sooooo fast, I come back after reading a PM and there is 4 more posts..
I mean wth. xD
-------

WOOT 300 POSTS.

-----------
brb got to go pee.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
lol thanks for all the responses xD. I think ya'll should talk about what constitutes being a disrespectful brawler considering its too easy to be a respectful brawler.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Now it's RANDOM COMMENTS LIKE THAT, Aqua, that completely derail threads. :p

But seriously, is there any effect on the character itself that makes it easier or harder to perform the Suicide? Or is it all based on the other character? Is there anything the suicider can do to make it easier to perform the move?

I still don't think it's wrong to do that. Again, people can still fight it. If the SBR has no problem with Bowser's Suicide-Claw, than other Kamakazi's shouldn't be much of an issue either...

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Now it's RANDOM COMMENTS LIKE THAT, Aqua, that completely derail threads. :p But seriously, is there any effect on the character itself that makes it easier or harder to perform the Suicide? Or is it all based on the other character? Is there anything the suicider can do to make it easier to perform the move?
Im back.
-----
Um. Sorry?
Be thankful I made this thread/Had this idea.
Its my board. Takes a good owner to have a good thread.
=D
------
Um.. I didnt get what you just said but people can really practice and get hella good at this, my friend does it to me when I try and ledge guard, like he will get on the ledge and wait for me to come and try to gimp and then he jumps from the edge and sucks me up and spits me under the stage.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Wait, are you on the ledge itself, holding it and trying to get back up? Or are you back on the stage already? A sweat option is to use Fox's Side-Special to get back to stage by letting go, jumping up off of the stage, and then dashing. If you're back on, just honestly stay the heck away, and blast him until a Fox Illusion would be strong enough to get him into the air. Once he's in the air, own him. :p Oh, I see he's the one on the ledge. He's Edgehoging... it would be a mind-game situation. Walk towards him, then away once you start seeing him move, then shoot him down. Or, you could try to jump above and Fire-Fox the ledge, grabing it while knocking him off. Then it becomes a ledge battle. :p

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Wait, are you on the ledge itself, holding it and trying to get back up? Or are you back on the stage already? A sweat option is to use Fox's Side-Special to get back to stage by letting go, jumping up off of the stage, and then dashing. If you're back on, just honestly stay the heck away, and blast him until a Fox Illusion would be strong enough to get him into the air. Once he's in the air, own him. :p Oh, I see he's the one on the ledge. He's Edgehoging... it would be a mind-game situation. Walk towards him, then away once you start seeing him move, then shoot him down. Or, you could try to jump above and Fire-Fox the ledge, grabing it while knocking him off. Then it becomes a ledge battle. :p
Thats how me and my friend do it.
NO BORING KO'S
LEDGE HOGE
MIND GAMES

FTW. xD
We end up fighting on the ledge off stage like the whole time. xD
It makes me feel....dangerous. ^^
------------
AND GUYS HELP ME OUT HERE >>

(PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR IDEAS FOR FURTHER WEEKS.)

I cant think of that many by my self!
-----------

When I come here and there isnt a reply it makes me die a little more inside.
Seriously when am I going to go to bed... hm.
-------------
We need a new pic for the first post,, who agrees ?

*Dies a little more inside*

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I thought this thread was going to be about ... courtesy. Like, thanking your opponent for the game, and discussing when taunting is and is not being a ****.
Instead there is some kind of discussion on what I think are "gentleman rules" or honor or something.

The title of the thread is really misleading. You should change that.

Anyway, I was thinking of posting "Play to win /thread," but you guys would ignore that, so I'll post this as my contribution:

"Play to win."

Carry on.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Thank's for the short, yet wize words of honor. I can see where the title might be misleading to the actual stuff inside of it (except for when we got off topic and things got completely crazy, no one could have predicted that). What is your take on the 3 different topics so far? Gimping the poor Tether-recoveries, using infinite attacks, and now Vore-Suicides. What say you, Pk-ow?

And Aqua, you won't always have almost 10 people talking about this at once. There are slow times, and there are fast times. I think hitting someone who's stuck tripping (not by Diddy's Naner) would be an interesting one. Maybe get a pic of Zelda in the fallen pose, with Ike getting ready to deliver a Forward Smash to her.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Thank's for the short, yet wize words of honor. I can see where the title might be misleading to the actual stuff inside of it (except for when we got off topic and things got completely crazy, no one could have predicted that). What is your take on the 3 different topics so far? Gimping the poor Tether-recoveries, using infinite attacks, and now Vore-Suicides. What say you, Pk-ow?

And Aqua, you won't always have almost 10 people talking about this at once. There are slow times, and there are fast times. I think hitting someone who's stuck tripping (not by Diddy's Naner) would be an interesting one. Maybe get a pic of Zelda in the fallen pose, with Ike getting ready to deliver a Forward Smash to her.
I already have the PERFECT picture in mind. I just need to take it.
xD Im a dork and take photoshoots with characters, So people with Photoshop,
(Like me) that do alot of work with these pictures (for school) can take the background out alot easier.
-----
Alot of post slow/fast.
I know this.
But it just like died...
-----
I dont understand how the title is misleading, tell me more about that and all.
Maybe we can mix some more things in, JUST GIVE ME THE IDEAS AND WE CAN DO IT GESH.!

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
"Gesh.!" Yeah, you'll have NO problem with distracting guys at your tournament. :p

How do you photoshop again? I want to be able to do that. And I hope you plan to include an appropriate pic for each discussion.

Again, it will be fast some times, and be slow others. Pacience, yong-ling. :p

Anyone know the factors to being able to do the suicide move? I still don't know em.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
"Gesh.!" Yeah, you'll have NO problem with distracting guys at your tournament. :p

How do you photoshop again? I want to be able to do that. And I hope you plan to include an appropriate pic for each discussion.

Again, it will be fast some times, and be slow others. Pacience, yong-ling. :p

Anyone know the factors to being able to do the suicide move? I still don't know em.
Er. Yes, yes I was going to make pics for EVERY FREAKING DISCUSSION TOPIC.... But sorry its liike 1:45 am and all. 0.0
IM NOT TIRED AT ALL.

And what do you mean I wont have problems distracting guys at the tourney?
T.T Everyone is so mean to me on here.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
"Play to win."

Carry on.
10Sirlinadvices

Ninja Edit: The title's misleading. It's misleading because I thought the thread was about discussing courtesy, as contrasted with rudeness, which can only apply to conduct outside the games... or in the small portion of the game called taunting (including crouch taunting).
You're not talking about courtesy. You're talking about some form of self-limitation when playing the game. You're talking about personal soft bans, or 'honour', or, really I think the name should be "Gentleman's..." something.

It's not arguable that I'm not being courteous if I gimp a tether recovery. The game lets me do that and the SBR rules always will, I can assure you of that. It may be arguable if a gentleman's rule concerning that would make the game "better" in some circles.

I claim it's not, but whatever. Just get straight what it is you're talking about.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I guess she should think of a new name once she's done with her tournament. But that didn't answer my question. Well, it did about your view of the Tether recovery, which many people (including myself) share, but how do you feel about Infinite Attacks and the whole "Kirby eats you, jumps off the stage, spits you out, and then recovers while you die" move?

And Aqua, again, the more you do the whole cutsy defensive thing, the more you're going to turn heads. :p

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
10Sirlinadvices

Ninja Edit: The title's misleading. It's misleading because I thought the thread was about discussing courtesy, as contrasted with rudeness, which can only apply to conduct outside the games... or in the small portion of the game called taunting (including crouch taunting).
You're not talking about courtesy. You're talking about some form of self-limitation when playing the game. You're talking about personal soft bans, or 'honour', or, really I think the name should be "Gentleman's..." something.

It's not arguable that I'm not being courteous if I gimp a tether recovery. The game lets me do that and the SBR rules always will, I can assure you of that. It may be arguable if a gentleman's rule concerning that would make the game "better" in some circles.

I claim it's not, but whatever. Just get straight what it is you're talking about.
I do when you open the page.
We can add that stuff to but like give me ideas on how and what to do.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
I guess she should think of a new name once she's done with her tournament. But that didn't answer my question. Well, it did about your view of the Tether recovery, which many people (including myself) share, but how do you feel about Infinite Attacks and the whole "Kirby eats you, jumps off the stage, spits you out, and then recovers while you die" move?

And Aqua, again, the more you do the whole cutsy defensive thing, the more you're going to turn heads. :p
I didnt know you could rename threads.......................

And I like this name. T.T (CRYS)

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
The title's misleading. It's misleading because I thought the thread was about discussing courtesy, as contrasted with rudeness, which can only apply to conduct outside the games... or in the small portion of the game called taunting (including crouch taunting).
Actually, I'd be much MORE interested in seeing a thread on this. I'll be honest, courtesy is... a bit confusing to me as far as the Brawl community is concerned.

To be honest, I can see this thread just degenerating to "play to win" responses (with a few random dissenters).

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Lots of people (pro or anti some of the oppinions here) are interested in it. And I don't think the name NEEDS to be changed until it gets too confusing to the majority. It's an okay name. Don't cry, m'lady. *hugs*

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Then I need help and we can make this thread into both.
It will already have a head start with how popular this is.
Better use this thead then make a whole new one.
I just need help on what to put or what I dont really know.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I think we should all sleep. It's 3:00 Am for me, and if I don't go roam about scaring random people at night soon, the sun will come up, and my all-black ensemble won't be able to hide me from the police and law-enforcement anymore.

But seriously, lets let this sit for a little while. Maybe fresh ideas and names will come later. I think you SHOULD photoshop images of one of the Princesses doing a respectful jester, or one of the guys doing a bow, with a pic of Wolf giving people the bird, saying which one are you? :p That's just one of my random ideas.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I think taunting excessively is bad, like after every kill and every powerful attack that lands. It gets annoying, especially if the character actually speaks or if the character happens to be Diddy or MK. A taunt can actually improve the feel of the game after some sort of insane kill that leaves everybody in awe, but if you just gimp someone with MK, you shouldn't need to taunt. And, of course, you also need to be familiar with the character's taunts, so you know which one is appropriate for each situation.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
xD I think taunting is fun and funny,
It makes the other person pissed off to where they want to come kick your butt for saying those things.
If I kill someone I use my "*****." taunt like 3 times in a row. or my " Rule 1: You dont recover. "

chandy

Smash Journeyman
sheesh my internet stops working for the night and when I come back there's 18 pages :O. Neway I think swallowing characters and putting them under the stage is cheap but I gotta admit I've done it a couple of times xD

EDIT: Lol I luked back at the thread and it seems a lot of the topic was more about people drooling over Aqua then courtesy lolz and the existance of the thread :s

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Taunting is fun and funny sometimes, but you shouldn't make it a habit. It's very rewarding for an opponent to charge an attack and kill you during your taunt of you use the wrong one or use it at a bad time.

Quail Man

Smash Apprentice
Page 12:

The metagame will never go anywhere if there aren't people abusing it. I, personally, respect the people driving the metagame more than those refusing to just because they think doing so is impolite.

And lol at the bolded part.
Page 13:

Actually, you SHOULD distract the guys. Then you can win more easily and claim your prizes.
How did this thread degenerate from talking about the differences between scrubs and those who play to win into talking about Aqua's body in less than a page after my last post?

This is a great thread, and is WORTHY of discussion and consideration, and should be treated as such.

I've been organizing Tournaments for well over 7+ YEARS now - and of all the gamers -

HALO and FPS’ers
Soul Calibur and other fighting gamers
Table Top
etc

SSBM players were the WORST. They were rude, and unruly, and even abused and stole equipment - I was shocked to see such behavior. 2 players even LAUGHED AT PLAYERS when they spiked them with Falco in tournament and casual settings, I mean COME ON.

There is much value in a common sense and community approved "sense of courtesy" - and I not only welcome this concept but hope is spreads - SF4 is quite the competition for the Smash community, and I'd hate to see smashers converting because of things like "Well I'm tired of how the Smash community acts, I'm going to SF4", etc.

I hope this thread has serious results, and can be adapted for tournament supporting communities.

X A
Ok, unless I'm mistaken, this thread has only been for the discussion in-game tactics that some of the people here view as "discourteous." What you described is people acting unsportsmanlike in real life, which is quite different.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Taunting is fun, though I do sometimes prefer to just do awesome moves to taunt. With Marth, I'll either up taunt, or I'll break out in a flurry of short hop fastfall Nairs. It's such a sexy move.

Of course, if you're a character like Samus or Lucario, if you Ko someone and don't have a full charge shot/aura sphere, if you don't charge it, you're doing it wrong. But that's not a matter of courtesy, just common sense.

Frown

poekmon
Infiniting as a high tier character is kind of disrespectful since you basically stop your opponent from playing. You're supposed to have fun when playing Brawl, and not wait for Marth to grab you seventeen times and then kill you with an utilt.

edit: OH MY GOD I THINK I JUST MADE A SERIOUS POST

edit 2: I have to fix my serious post...

Pinocchio​

There we go.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
It's easy to be respectful, but there are some people (actually, many people) who, incredibly, still don't quite get it.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord

First off my brother who is only 12, at his first tourny, fought these Ice Climbers, and they chain grabbed him the whole time and then spiked him off the stage at the ledge. When the Ice Climber player won he told my brother that he sucked.
My brother told me this when we got home and he said he wanted to cry. Brawl is a really big deal to people because they take this game to heart.[/QUOTE]

And some really take thier characters to heart. It's one thing to say that a player sucks but a character? Oh man, that makes my blood boil:mad:.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
And some really take thier characters to heart. It's one thing to say that a player sucks but a character? Oh man, that makes my blood boil:mad:.
Me too. It makes me mad that people would be talking crap on a 12 year old...
No sense in being mean like that anyways.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Holy crap, I'm gone for two days, and already this thread gets to teh 19th page. Granted a little bit of that was just being socialable (I'm trying to be nice and not call you all desperate people for trying to hook-up over the internet/being silly about how to take advantage of men >.>), but regardless I like this thread. There was also too many posts I wanted to respond too, but people find it annoying if I revive old posts, so I'll let somebody else do that honor and go from there.

I'll start with backtracking and stating my opinion for the 2nd week (even though that didn't last a week, but no problem):

Some infinites I would allow, liek the ICs alt CGs and the wall infinites, which don't happen a lot because of the circumstances/were earned/ can be avoided, but things like infinites D3s infinties on certain characters are not allowed. I'll start by saying although it may be preference, but I'd rather see a 6-minute fight that was filled with different mvoes and showed both people had lots of skill in it, not some guy simply picking a character to lock the chances of the other character for winning in those 6-minutes, that's BOOOOOOOOORING! Now going away from preference, I think it shouldn't be done at all because it's impossible to avoid and breaks the game, yes I know Sakurai failed to remove it from the game, but why can't we? Didn't we pay $60 to make this game into whatever we want, as in a fair game were tactical skill is displayed, not some cheap manuever that perhaps the person shouldn't deserve because tehre is a possibility that he would've lost without such a stupid technique? I don't see why people want to keep this in-game, but I guess everybody has to have their opinion, yes.

Now for the third week (which I'm sorry I haven't read the O.P. yet, but I will soon enough >.>) is things like swallowcides and the like, it's perfectly legal. For one it's not unavoidable, it's very predictable, easily seen coming, and can be heavily punished if you work around it. Sure I was pissed the first time I got D3cided, but that was my own mistake and I should've known better than to fall for such a silly thing and will most likely not have the same thing happen to me again.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Yeah, that really irritates me. I believe the character is what the player makes of it. Lower tier characters are simply harder to use well than the higher tier characters. Some people simply discount all the low tier and trash tier characters as being bad even though they have no idea how the character works because they have a low win ratio in tourneys (they go read the tier list and just believe everything they see). If, say, Captain Falcon is doing badly, it's because the player using him either isn't good enough or isn't on a very good Brawl day.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Kinzer, you and I seem to think alike. Granted, we differ on what specific infinites we like (I rather dislike all of them. But that's just me), but you and I seem to mirror eachother. I still would like to know exactly what specific attributes make the "Swallowcide" work, and what exactly can be done to prohibit it. I've thought that the more either side it damage, the harder it is for either side to resist/perform the move. I also wonder if the victim's weight has anything to do with it.

And I'm sorry about your little bro, Aqua. Some people are just pricks. But there isn't much you can do about it. I hope that your bro isn't turned off to Smash, because the higher into the compeditive world you get, the more respectful people are (despite moves like that still occuring). All you can do is practice and hope next time you can kill before being infinitely chaingrabbed to death.... again, I might be a scrub, but a move like that is really cheap, especially when the player in question probably isn't skilled enough to do anything else but the one cheap move. And I hope I never fight that dirty.

I personally don't believe in Tiers. I can understand match ups, but I've seen Falcons **** Metaknights, even under compeditive rules, and the two of them were having good enough fights that I honestly just watched. The only reason that a character is "low tier" is because they haven't kicked everyone else's butt yet.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
What makes the swallowcide work is just incompetance on behalf of the person being swallowed.

Now expalining that oen sentence, I mean the sucking, let's just say Kirby is doing this since the term swallowcide comes from him/her performing this technique, is quite very easy to see coming. It has some start-up time, it's very obvious to know that it's out there because Kirby has his/her mouth open about as big as his body, you hear the "woooooouuuuuuuaaaaaaaa!" sound and the dust being collected, and for Kirby to stop using the move, he/she takes about 0.5-1 seconds to uncommit to the attack, meaning he/she can't stop for that amount of time even though he/she sees it coming that you're going to punish it. Seriously if you get swallowed you either couldn't see this coming/you put yourself in such a situation for you to be swalloed, as in use a very laggy move. I can't exactly tell you how to avoid being killed by this silly method other than "get better", it's the same principles as learning to "not get grabbed" by ICs, it's possible to do.

I just read the bottom half of the OP, and what that guy did to your lil' bro was just quite disrespectful, thankfully only a handful of people are like that, the gaming community is much betetr than that, and teh only time you would ever see that is when probably two people have a very bad grduge between each other.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Aqua did it not occur to you that taking a ****ing 12 year old to a place where lots of older guys will be at might be kinda, idunno, irresponsible? I doubt he 'talked trash', hearing "you suck" isn't something you should be crying about. Competitive smash is way above his age level.

And lol@at the the thread, some characters suck, deal.

Tourneys are a place where people make rude jokes and cuss a lot, people are loud. If you aren't good be humble and nothing should happen to you. I suck and I'm very open with it, and I am able to hang out with lots of people at tourneys, and I'm like 2-3 years younger than most of them.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Aqua did it not occur to you that taking a ****ing 12 year old to a place where lots of older guys will be at might be kinda, idunno, irresponsible? I doubt he 'talked trash', hearing "you suck" isn't something you should be crying about. Competitive smash is way above his age level.

And lol@at the the thread, some characters suck, deal.
Lol, I agree. Its filled with older people, what can you expect?

But yeah, the person your brother was playing was probably extremely arrogant, either that or your brothers BSing you.

Top Bottom