• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox Q&A and Help Thread

Pichu_815

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to start animation editing for the Young Link project, but have no idea where to start. I know I have to edit the Motion.pac, and I have never done this before.

Is there a guide on it or something, I searched and found nothing.
The easiest way to edit animations is in the BrawlBox Model previewer. Open the Fit[character]00.pac (or .pcs, it doesn't matter), then preview the model. There will be four thin bars around the edges of the previewer. Click on them to open them up. The right-hand toolbar is where the editing takes place. Up at the top of that toolbar, it says 'External File' and below that, there are buttons that say 'Load,' 'Save,' and 'Close.' Click 'Load' and find the character's Motion.pac, then open it. That's the first step.

To actually edit animations, you've got to click on the name of the animation you want to edit, 'Wait1' for example. Then, you can click on a bone whose properties you want to edit in the animation (in the left toolbar) and use the 'Transform Frame' area of the right toolbar to edit its translation, rotation, and scale. Honestly, experimenting is the best way to learn (it's how I did), but there is a guide here.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
I'd like to start animation editing for the Young Link project, but have no idea where to start. I know I have to edit the Motion.pac, and I have never done this before.

Is there a guide on it or something, I searched and found nothing.
There is a small tutorial in the OP of the BrawlBox thread, but you mostly have to learn from experience. Play around with it for a while, you'll get the hang of it.

Where would one find characters' articles? I know they're in the FitMotions, but do articles have any specific name? And can we preview them so we know what article we're dealing with?
You can preview and animate an article just as you would a character. I think they have names, but if not you can just preview them to find out what they are.

EDIT: Yes, they have names.

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
...So then, I'm correct in assuming that articles are in FitMotions? 'Cuz I can't find Bowser's fire or Cpt Falcon's paunch in the FitMotion... I only see the actual animations' CHR files (along with unknown files in other folders), and I can't preview those.

EDIT: What does "Ninja'd" mean, and why do people say stuff like "10chars"?

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
...So then, I'm correct in assuming that articles are in FitMotions? 'Cuz I can't find Bowser's fire or Cpt Falcon's paunch in the FitMotion... I only see the actual animations' CHR files (along with unknown files in other folders), and I can't preview those.

EDIT: What does "Ninja'd" mean, and why do people say stuff like "10chars"?
They are either in the Etc part of MotionEtc or the normal pac, but they are also sometimes in the 00.pac.

Ninja'd is what someone says when they post something and they see that someone already posted the same thing right before them. 10Char is because these forums have a 10 character limit to posts.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
Christian CAO, you should try disabling Themes or Aero or whatever it's called. That's what caused the problem on my computer, and it may work for you.
Thank you Eldiran. I'll try disabiling Themes and changing aero. :)
EDIT: Cries baby tears of blood, that didn't work. Maybe it has some thing to do with the JIT debugger, it's the first thing on the error list. I'm going to keep trying to solve this.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Hey is there any way to swap character models with brawl box, like put silvers or knuckles models on sonic?
Yes. Just export the model you want and replace it over the model you are changing. And for the record, you need to pay more attention. Model Replacing is very common knowledge and Sonic characters don't work.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Hey, brawlshifter, can you answer my question about the in-game portraits? The ones above the characters names in any sort of Brawl, I haven't been able to swap 'em without the game freezing...
As long as you've idexed them, and kept them at 48x56, they should work fine. Those are the only possible reasons for it not working that that come to mind, as those are the only problems I had while doing them.

yami_sora

Smash Journeyman
Okay so I'm trying to do some more menu text editing for Brawl+. I want the top to read "4 stock Brawl+ fest!" I can do that no problem, but then the word buffer gets changed back to the word handicap at the bottom. I was gonna just force it to read buffer but I can't find the file where the word handicap is at all. I thought it would be in sc_selcharacter_en.pac since the rest of the data for that screen seems to be there. Any help?

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I need some help now

how can I edit articles? do I need any hex editor? or can it be done in BrawlBox or PSA?
the thing is I want to remove "pikachu thunderbolt" (neutral B) in airs movement to the ground and remove so it cant be "pikachus thunderbolt on ground?"

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I need some help now

how can I edit articles? do I need any hex editor? or can it be done in BrawlBox or PSA?
the thing is I want to remove "pikachu thunderbolt" (neutral B) in airs movement to the ground and remove so it cant be "pikachus thunderbolt on ground?"

Here is a link to Dantarion's dump of all characters' article data:

http://opensa.dantarion.com/tmp/

A good many of the offsets shown within can be edited in PSA as a subroutine.

There are properties you might need to hex though.

ds22

Smash Lord

Never knew that Ike had 2 Article's.
And here's the question to that.
Where do I find Ike's second Article?
I found the first, but can't seem to find others.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Ok, I have a question about stage backgrounds/animations. I have imported the asteroid background from the first section of Lylat Cruise into FD for a hack I've been working on. The problem is... when the asteroid field reaches the end of its 1800-frame animation, it just stops. It doesn't loop at all. I understand that:

A ) FD has a stage frame count of 9800 (I think; it's something ridiculous)
B ) Lylat Cruise is supposed to cycle between three backgrounds

If anyone knows how to force the background to loop, that'd be great.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi

hehe thanks 8D
but I think I can only edit pikachus article thunderbolt in air or the thunder to make them horizontally than strait down in a hexprogram D8

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
As long as you've idexed them, and kept them at 48x56, they should work fine. Those are the only possible reasons for it not working that that come to mind, as those are the only problems I had while doing them.
Idexed? I have no idea how to do that, please PM me if telling me how is against the board's rules

Rowland

Smash Rookie
can anyone help me with texturing my characters as 'transparent'?
ive heard some stuff for photoshop about changing the 'transparent' box in the 'color table' to 'magenta (or FF00FF)' that is supposed to do the trick.. but that didnt work for me..
help? =)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
can anyone help me with texturing my characters as 'transparent'?
ive heard some stuff for photoshop about changing the 'transparent' box in the 'color table' to 'magenta (or FF00FF)' that is supposed to do the trick.. but that didnt work for me..
help? =)
When the Alpha Layer is turned on, a checkerboard background will represent transparency.

When using The GIMP, go to Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel to create a new Alpha Layer. To remove all transparency, go to Layer > Transparency > Remove Alpha Channel.

When you view the texture parts in BrawlBox, you'll notice some various texture formats that are used. Some of the texture formats do support transparency, while others do not.

Textures in I4, I8, and RGB565 format do not support transparency. Also, CI4 and CI8 format textures that use RGB565 palettes don't support transparency either.

Textures in IA4, IA8, RGB5A3, RGBA8, and CMPR format do support transparency. However, the CMPR format does not accept semi-transparency; only one transparent color can be used. Also, CI4 and CI8 format textures that use IA8 and RGB5A3 palettes accept transparency too.

Keep in mind that if a texture part has no transparent parts, then it's likely that it can't be transparent at all. There are some exceptions though.

Also, textures in IA4 and IA8 format do transparency in a different manner; black represents transparency, while transparency represents black. Additionally, the two formats only accept grayscale colors, along with the I4 and I8 formats.

Rowland

Smash Rookie
thanks =)

do you happen to know how to change/add an alpha layer while using photoshop??

ive added a new layer, upon which i see a checkerboard pattern, however, all that is visible (obviously?) is the original texture itself. am i to turn off the original texture's layer? or will coloring over it on the new layer be sufficient?

also, i dont quite understand what you were saying about semi-trancparency & a 'texture part [having] no transparent parts'

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
thanks =)

do you happen to know how to change/add an alpha layer while using photoshop??

ive added a new layer, upon which i see a checkerboard pattern, however, all that is visible (obviously?) is the original texture itself. am i to turn off the original texture's layer? or will coloring over it on the new layer be sufficient?

also, i dont quite understand what you were saying about semi-trancparency & a 'texture part [having] no transparent parts'
There are some guides about CSP's on youtube if you need help

Also how would i swap articles with other characters

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For one thing, if a texture part does not have anything transparent, it can't be made transparent by any means. Mario and Meta Knight are a few examples of characters that are impossible to make transparent.

There are a few exceptions to this rule though; Zelda's dress can be transparent, even though the texture part, ZeldaTexB, has nothing transparent, by default.

For textures with the format, RGB5A3 and RGBA8, any areas with transparency may also be semi-transparent. If you export an image of those formats as TarGA images and view them in Photoshop CS3 or CS4, you can see what the textures actually look like when the Alpha Layer is turned off.

The image below is an example of what I'm trying to state.

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Wii freezes when I press "Start" at the CSS and it goes into the stage menu. It even makes my WiiMote continuously rumble! Any ideas as to what's wrong? Could it be because I edited MiscData from the item selection screen and the CPU lv. names?

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Could be, and probably is. What else do you have on?
Well, I did change some of the characters' names on their icons and their CSPs on the CSS, but I changed them back a while ago. So, apparently that wasn't the (only) issue. The only other things that I changed since the freeze began were:

-The EV-Trained Pikachu PSA (on KittyCorp)
-The newest Meta Ridley version (although this never gave a problem before)
-New (epic) Iron Man texture for Samus
-the previously mentionned MiscData

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
Well, I did change some of the characters' names on their icons and their CSPs on the CSS, but I changed them back a while ago. So, apparently that wasn't the (only) issue. The only other things that I changed since the freeze began were:

-The EV-Trained Pikachu PSA (on KittyCorp)
-The newest Meta Ridley version (although this never gave a problem before)
-New (epic) Iron Man texture for Samus
-the previously mentionned MiscData
I'm sure its the Misc. Data. Try taking that off and tell me if it works.

SqLeon

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know where the main menu background is located. I think it's in mu_menumain_en.pac but I can't find it. The background color and the 3d model in the background.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
Umm... anyone read my post earlier on the page?
Yes, I've read it every single time you have posted it on every single thread you have posted it on, and I've read the same question from the other guy who had the same problem every time he posted it on every thread he posted it on. He said (or maybe that was you too...) that even when he made it the 9600 frames, it still didn't loop. I'm sorry, but I don't think there is an answer yet. Perhaps check the Misc. Data.

@SqLeon: I'm not sure if it has a model, but check the CLR0 files in that pac.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Does anyone know where the main menu background is located. I think it's in mu_menumain_en.pac but I can't find it. The background color and the 3d model in the background.
try misc data 3 it kinda looks like the background
EDIT: under mainmenu_en is some model data those are the icons in the main meu in case you want to edit those too

kirbys246

Smash Apprentice
Anyone know how to completey remove Ness's yo-yo? Hitboxes and all? I can remove the yo-yo but the hitboxes are still there :(.

Oh and another question! How can I keep Ness's Bones and not someone elses? Like if I give him one of marths animations, hit legs are length of marths. Is there a way to keep them at ness's size?

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Anyone know how to completey remove Ness's yo-yo? Hitboxes and all? I can remove the yo-yo but the hitboxes are still there :(.

Oh and another question! How can I keep Ness's Bones and not someone elses? Like if I give him one of marths animations, hit legs are length of marths. Is there a way to keep them at ness's size?
This thread helps deal with the yoyo hit boxes
As for the size issues only change the rotation nothing else

kirbys246

Smash Apprentice
I have prepared a list of questions. Hopefully someone can answer.

1. How do you make ness always hold a bat?
2. If I were to make an attack (besides Side-Smash) with Ness's bat, how would I put hitboxes on the bat?
3. Were do I get a hex editor?
4. Can I edit PK Fire and all his articles?

Please and thank you!

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
I have prepared a list of questions. Hopefully someone can answer.

1. How do you make ness always hold a bat?
2. If I were to make an attack (besides Side-Smash) with Ness's bat, how would I put hitboxes on the bat?
3. Were do I get a hex editor?
4. Can I edit PK Fire and all his articles?

Please and thank you!
1.There's something in PSA called model changer looks under his side taunt to see what i'm talking about add it to every action
2.There's bones that are attached to the bat add hitboxes to those bones
3.Google for one
4.Not sure on that one i'm wondering that myself
EDIT: can someone help me with something i want to add rain to FD and i'm trying to make it kind of like storm-type effect any suggestions?

kirbys246

Smash Apprentice
Am I at least able to modify where PK Fire comes out of? Like mabye a bone? :/

Oh and thanks for answering!

Can anyone answer my PK Fire question? please?

Top Bottom