• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Can Smash 4 save the Wii U?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Alright here we go.

Smash will indeed move units, but not as much as it could if it was exclusive. I'm buying the wii u version.(Better graphics, local multiplayer without having to own another console, etc..) But the wii u is not selling due to two reasons.

1. Lack of marketing (BIG ONE)
2. Lack of compelling software (difference between compelling and being good, for example, The Wonderful 101 is a great game, but could it sell wii us? It needs more Mario 3D Worlds and Wind Wakers.Games that sell systems!)

Nintendo made a mistake trusting 3rd parties with their wii u line up, they ended up getting back stabbed by EA,2K, and Ubisoft. You'd think they would have learned from the 3ds. Now when it comes to marketing, Nintendo is not doing well at it. Look at the wii, it was marketed really well and look what happened! Sony and Microsoft are marketing really well and their consoles are selling. Their ads are compelling, compared to the likes of "The Pitch" commercials, those are really lame.Even Kids do not like cheesy.
Power does not mean squat. There was a bigger gap between the wii and xbox/ps3 than there is wii u ps4/xbone. YOU CAN port from ps4/xboneto wii u. You just need to put effort into the port, which 3rd parties not want to do. If it has something to do with power, then why are developers making the same games for 360,ps3,ps4, and xbox one. Its not about power. Sony and Microsoft PAY for multiplats. Nintendo does not do that. They know if you keep paying for multiplats its going to bite you in the ass one day. Third parties are soon gonna keep expecting money for a game to come to your platform, because they know they can not live without third parties. Its only worth moneyhatting exclusives. Also:
I also heard that Iwata said they are considering M&As(Mergers and Acquisitions.) I wonder who they would try to buy or merge with. Sega?Namco Bandai? Capcom? This could help them in the future. Only time will tell....

JediLink

Smash Ace
Hmph. Ever notice how Nintendo hasn't had third parties since the N64? Even if Nintendo made an easy to develop for counsel that blows the competition out of the water, third parties would still avoid it completely because of Nintendo's image and fans.
This is true (albeit exaggerated). Nintendo's image is a problem that they've failed to address, and is a deterrent to third parties.

99% of Nintendo fans are content with practically zero third party support. Non-fans don't want Nintendo games. It'd be utterly pointless for Nintendo to even try.
But this, I don't know what you're on about. 99% of Nintendo fans are content with zero third party support? It would be pointless for Nintendo to try to garner third parties? WTF?

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
Sadly but not even Smash can make the WiiU sale like the PS4 or Xbone. Yes, it will sell thousands but i don't think smash its capable to save the WiiU in the long term. I hope i am wrong, i love my WiiU so much.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This is true (albeit exaggerated). Nintendo's image is a problem that they've failed to address, and is a deterrent to third parties.

But this, I don't know what you're on about. 99% of Nintendo fans are content with zero third party support? It would be pointless for Nintendo to try to garner third parties? WTF?
It's hyperbole and fudged numbers. My point is, that most people are content with Nintendo's third party situation. You probably own a Wii/U and a newish Xbox/Playstation right? Ask yourself this: Would you give up the XB/PS if Nintendo had third parties?

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
It's hyperbole and fudged numbers. My point is, that most people are content with Nintendo's third party situation. You probably own a Wii/U and a newish Xbox/Playstation right? Ask yourself this: Would you give up the XB/PS if Nintendo had third parties?
In a heartbeat. I don't care much for any of Sony or Microsoft's exclusives and have followed the industry long enough to know that they aren't likely to start catering to my interests anytime soon, so I'd get $400 to spend elsewhere instead of having to buy a second system just for third-party games. And hey, less clutter under the TV is always a good thing.

Also, the Gamecube had pretty damn good third-party support despite all the problems with the system. Sure, it missed out on a lot of RPGs and GTA but guess what, everyone did except for the PS2. Even Microsoft and their endless pockets could only get GTA ported to the Xbox over a year after the initial PS2 release.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I can see it and Mario Kart 8 bringing the Wii U up to decent sales, but it will not make the Wii U anywhere near as successful as the Wii. But that's okay, Nintendo is sitting on a ton of money, as long as Mario Kart 8 and SSB4 are a total blast to play, that's all that matters to me.

R0Y

Smash Master
In terms of "saving" the Wii U financially, no it probably won't, and Mario Kart is the even bigger mainstream title and has always sold more with the exception being Melee beating Double Dash on Gamecube because Double Dash was late and divisive, Melee was neither. Mario Kart 64 and Wii obliterated Smash and Smash Bros. Brawl sales-wise, despite both of those titles being huge hits.

In other words, if anything can save the Wii U as a viable platform, it's Mario Kart 8.

Wii U has 0 chance of catching the Gamecube
at this point, it'll just crawl past the Dreamcast and land somewhere around 12 million before being quietly replaced
I disagree, I say it lands around 15 million and its successor (in 2015 or 2016) has a massive ad campaign. It won't be a quiet replacement at all if Nintendo wants to retain a chunk of the console sector, which unlike dedicated handhelds seems to have stabilized and isn't shrinking (maybe slightly from 3 successes last gen.) It needs to be competitive (i.e. powerful) and easy to develop for hardware. If it's viable and Nintendo builds it consulting third parties and enticing them (lower royalties, cheap dev kits, whatever), they will come.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

It will help for a week or two, and then die off again.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
I disagree, I say it lands around 15 million and its successor (in 2015 or 2016) has a massive ad campaign. It won't be a quiet replacement at all if Nintendo wants to retain a chunk of the console sector, which unlike dedicated handhelds seems to have stabilized and isn't shrinking (maybe slightly from 3 successes last gen.) It needs to be competitive (i.e. powerful) and easy to develop for hardware. If it's viable and Nintendo builds it consulting third parties and enticing them (lower royalties, cheap dev kits, whatever), they will come.
12 million, 15 million, big whoop
also I never mentioned anything about its successor

R0Y

Smash Master
12 million, 15 million, big whoop
also I never mentioned anything about its successor

That's 25 percent more sales of a number notably greater than zero, it is a big deal.

Also

Wii U has 0 chance of catching the Gamecube
at this point, it'll just crawl past the Dreamcast and land somewhere around 12 million before being quietly replaced
You implied it instead, congratulations...

smashmachine

Smash Lord
That's 25 percent more sales of a number notably greater than zero, it is a big deal.

Also

You implied it instead, congratulations...
....you do realize its successor having a "massive ad campaign" would imply that they are indeed ditching the Wii U behind the scenes, right

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Hmph. Ever notice how Nintendo hasn't had third parties since the N64? Even if Nintendo made an easy to develop for counsel that blows the competition out of the water, third parties would still avoid it completely because of Nintendo's image and fans. 99% of Nintendo fans are content with practically zero third party support. Non-fans don't want Nintendo games. It'd be utterly pointless for Nintendo to even try.
See, I aalays found that argument kinda faulty, because while it is true that 1st party games are top priority, 3rd party titles like Tetris, GoldenEye, No More Heroes, Resident Evil 4, Soul Calibur 2,Chrono Trigger, The handheld Castlevanias and Professor Layton all contributed just as much to their system's successes.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
3rd parties who do release games can't even make money off DLC with the Wii U so they just don't release it for the system at all. It's just sad at this point.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
This thread could have been worse. At least people aren't blindly defending either position.

The original question of can Smash 4 save the Wii U... and I'll interpret the question as can it boost sales enough alone for the Wii U as a console system to break even. The answer is: NO. With the same smash game coming out for the 3DS and with the 3DS being a more casual, widespread system compared to the Wii U... Smash 4 can't get the job done. Part of me thinks that Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with Smash 3DS. Not because it's a bad idea, but because it's the same game as the Wii U version.

Next question: Can Nintendo survive the Wii U? Yes. There is no reason they could not. The Wii U could fail Virtual Boy style and Nintendo would be fine. As a company, Nintendo has money in the bank. So this is not an issue. Luckily, most people who care about Nintendo seem to know this.

So next... can the Wii U break even? Most likely. As long as Nintendo doesn't abandon the system, the Wii U will do well enough by pure statistic sales to be fine. It will easily lose in the realm of Public Opinion and probably lose this generation of the "Console Wars" but it will most likely break even so where Nintendo as a company can just ride the wave. It wouldn't even need to reach lifetime Gamecube sales to break even. But only if Nintendo supports it until the end. They can't drop the ball like they did at the end of the Wii's lifeline. A new Star Fox and Metroid wouldn't hurt. Because if Nintendo is going to go on without strong 3rd party support, they have to use their full IP library.

Next, does Nintendo need Third Party Games? Yes, and to ignore them is not smart. This issue isn't all Nintendo's fault though. Third Parties have given Nintendo the cold shoulder for a while. And when Nintendo let them take the lead with the releases of the Wii U and the 3DS, the third parties went Julius Caesar and stabbed Nintendo in the back. So that is not fair. The third parties complain that Nintendo's game completely overshadow their games but when Nintendo gave them the chance, they didn't take up the mantle.

Nintendo has taken some big risk and it just hasn't panned out. By going for a low price and a new gimmick, Nintendo didn't make a console on par with it's peers. That isn't working for them. The Wii U Gamepad isn't making waves like the Wii Motion Controller did. Nintendo's image with traditional gamers isn't strong and the casual gamers who brought a Wii have moved on to Smartphone games and Free-to-Play games. Nintendo didn't see that coming and now it's working against them; only the Nintendo faithful are mostly buying a Wii U. Third Parties are fleeing a sinking ship and thinking that the sky is falling. That on top of recent bad history between major 3rd parties and Nintendo, the former have left Nintendo out to hang.

Nintendo seems to be out of the money this gen. Press & the Media, Traditional gamers and all the cards seemed to have lined up behind the PS4 and Xbox One. Only because Nintendo has tried to stay out of the Console Wars and be unique. It didn't work this time sadly. But Nintendo can handle it. It can ride out the next possible "bad" 2 or 3 years. But the Wii U as a console is in very bad shape. Serious condition medial wise. Nintendo itself is in Fair condition. No major worries.

But Nintendo can make a comeback. Even in this generation. It can do well despite having "last gen graphics". It can do well despite being down right now with lower then expected Year One sales. Nintendo defies these odds pretty often. If they mix up the marketing and stop the cheesy kid commercials. If they can convince traditional gamers that it's not a gimmick console. If they can somehow get some of the casual gamers to come back. If they can fix the shortcomings they continue to have with internet issues and web based projects. If they can push out good games that the other systems and the larger gaming media cannot ignore. And most of all, if Nintendo can do the latter consistently. The Wii U needs a library. Not remakes of good games but overall quality Nintendo games and not have that "classic" dry spell Nintendo has become famous for since the Wii era.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
See, I aalays found that argument kinda faulty, because while it is true that 1st party games are top priority, 3rd party titles like Tetris, GoldenEye, No More Heroes, Resident Evil 4, Soul Calibur 2,Chrono Trigger, The handheld Castlevanias and Professor Layton all contributed just as much to their system's successes.
Counsel. There's still plenty of support for handhelds. The counsel games you listed were basically one per counsel since the N64. Whereas the other two are swimming in third party support. A trickle of third parties is still very dry.

This thread could have been worse. At least people aren't blindly defending either position.

The original question of can Smash 4 save the Wii U... and I'll interpret the question as can it boost sales enough alone for the Wii U as a console system to break even. The answer is: NO. With the same smash game coming out for the 3DS and with the 3DS being a more casual, widespread system compared to the Wii U... Smash 4 can't get the job done. Part of me thinks that Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with Smash 3DS. Not because it's a bad idea, but because it's the same game as the Wii U version.

Next question: Can Nintendo survive the Wii U? Yes. There is no reason they could not. The Wii U could fail Virtual Boy style and Nintendo would be fine. As a company, Nintendo has money in the bank. So this is not an issue. Luckily, most people who care about Nintendo seem to know this.

So next... can the Wii U break even? Most likely. As long as Nintendo doesn't abandon the system, the Wii U will do well enough by pure statistic sales to be fine. It will easily lose in the realm of Public Opinion and probably lose this generation of the "Console Wars" but it will most likely break even so where Nintendo as a company can just ride the wave. It wouldn't even need to reach lifetime Gamecube sales to break even. But only if Nintendo supports it until the end. They can't drop the ball like they did at the end of the Wii's lifeline. A new Star Fox and Metroid wouldn't hurt. Because if Nintendo is going to go on without strong 3rd party support, they have to use their full IP library.

Next, does Nintendo need Third Party Games? Yes, and to ignore them is not smart. This issue isn't all Nintendo's fault though. Third Parties have given Nintendo the cold shoulder for a while. And when Nintendo let them take the lead with the releases of the Wii U and the 3DS, the third parties went Julius Caesar and stabbed Nintendo in the back. So that is not fair. The third parties complain that Nintendo's game completely overshadow their games but when Nintendo gave them the chance, they didn't take up the mantle.

Nintendo has taken some big risk and it just hasn't panned out. By going for a low price and a new gimmick, Nintendo didn't make a console on par with it's peers. That isn't working for them. The Wii U Gamepad isn't making waves like the Wii Motion Controller did. Nintendo's image with traditional gamers isn't strong and the casual gamers who brought a Wii have moved on to Smartphone games and Free-to-Play games. Nintendo didn't see that coming and now it's working against them; only the Nintendo faithful are mostly buying a Wii U. Third Parties are fleeing a sinking ship and thinking that the sky is falling. That on top of recent bad history between major 3rd parties and Nintendo, the former have left Nintendo out to hang.

Nintendo seems to be out of the money this gen. Press & the Media, Traditional gamers and all the cards seemed to have lined up behind the PS4 and Xbox One. Only because Nintendo has tried to stay out of the Console Wars and be unique. It didn't work this time sadly. But Nintendo can handle it. It can ride out the next possible "bad" 2 or 3 years. But the Wii U as a console is in very bad shape. Serious condition medial wise. Nintendo itself is in Fair condition. No major worries.

But Nintendo can make a comeback. Even in this generation. It can do well despite having "last gen graphics". It can do well despite being down right now with lower then expected Year One sales. Nintendo defies these odds pretty often. If they mix up the marketing and stop the cheesy kid commercials. If they can convince traditional gamers that it's not a gimmick console. If they can somehow get some of the casual gamers to come back. If they can fix the shortcomings they continue to have with internet issues and web based projects. If they can push out good games that the other systems and the larger gaming media cannot ignore. And most of all, if Nintendo can do the latter consistently. The Wii U needs a library. Not remakes of good games but overall quality Nintendo games and not have that "classic" dry spell Nintendo has become famous for since the Wii era.
There simply isn't a way to win back third parties at this point. It's been three gens since Nintendo's seen real third party support. Nintendo could make the best counsel in the world and third parties would still give them squat. What Nintendo needs is advertising. Nintendo is actually using the 3DS's pull to lure in people to buy Wii Us. How? Miiverse. Half the kids there want a Wii U, and the other half are waiting for MK8 and SSB4. Once again, Nintendo finds a 'blue ocean', this time for advertisement.

SSB4 for 3DS was far from a mistake. As long as the Wii U version releases about a month before SSB4 3DS, and the connectivity is shown heavily in SSB4 3DS, Nintendo will at least blow past GC numbers.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

The Wii U certainly doesn't have 'last-gen' graphics, just look at Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8.

also no more gimmick controllers
I seriously cringe whenever someone calls the GamePad a 'gimmick controller'...people use the word gimmick freely these days. The GamePad's a great controller with great features on a great console, I don't want to go back to standard, boring controllers, it's people like you that soil the gaming industry.

Also, people who consider themselves 'Traditional Gamers' and don't play Nintendo games, HAHAHAHAHA!

OldManTurner

Smash Cadet
I bought a wiiU and I currently only have 3 games, because in my mind they're the only games that were worth buying. I have Legend of Zelda Windwaker HD, Pikmin 3, and that nintendoland game that came with my WiiU. I must say I'm currently displeased with the selection of games, as I'm sure other people are as well.

That being said, I dont think ssb4 will completely save the wiiU, but it has always been a popular title that is always looked forward to. It will probably spike up the sales of the wiiU a little bit, but not a substantial amount.

Personally, I wont be buying it for my 3DS because I play way too aggressive and I would probably bust the analog stick right off because of how flimsy it is. definitely don't plan on buying another 3DS XL in the near future so I'll just stick to the console version. i'm sure other players like myself will feel the same way, it just wouldnt be the same on the 3DS.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Counsel. There's still plenty of support for handhelds. The counsel games you listed were basically one per counsel since the N64. Whereas the other two are swimming in third party support. A trickle of third parties is still very dry.

There simply isn't a way to win back third parties at this point. It's been three gens since Nintendo's seen real third party support. Nintendo could make the best counsel in the world and third parties would still give them squat. What Nintendo needs is advertising. Nintendo is actually using the 3DS's pull to lure in people to buy Wii Us. How? Miiverse. Half the kids there want a Wii U, and the other half are waiting for MK8 and SSB4. Once again, Nintendo finds a 'blue ocean', this time for advertisement.

SSB4 for 3DS was far from a mistake. As long as the Wii U version releases about a month before SSB4 3DS, and the connectivity is shown heavily in SSB4 3DS, Nintendo will at least blow past GC numbers.
3rd party support, on handhelds?
HAHAHAH

there is, it's called not having a ****ty console architecture
and rofl at thinking advertising is Nintendo's problem, all the money in the world won't help if the product itself is undesirable

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
3rd party support, on handhelds?
HAHAHAH

there is, it's called not having a ****ty console architecture
and rofl at thinking advertising is Nintendo's problem, all the money in the world won't help if the product itself is undesirable
There's tons of third party support on 3DS. Ace Attorney, Layton, Bravely Default, Sonic, Kingdom Hearts, and it keeps going on. How is this not support?

And by the way, you conveniently forgot to answer this line you bolded: Nintendo could make the best counsel in the world and third parties would still give them squat.

You really think Nintendo can ever get the support back on a counsel? That's a laugh and a half.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
There's tons of third party support on 3DS. Ace Attorney, Layton, Bravely Default, Sonic, Kingdom Hearts, and it keeps going on. How is this not support?

And by the way, you conveniently forgot to answer this line you bolded: Nintendo could make the best counsel in the world and third parties would still give them squat.

You really think Nintendo can ever get the support back on a counsel? That's a laugh and a half.
the huge drop in software from DS--->3DS is more from 3rd parties, dude, and you conveniently forgot to mention Bravely Default and the version of Kingdom Hearts were both spinoffs

also stop saying counsel, it's pissing me off
but yes, if Nintendo had released a system with a design similar to PS4/XB1 and stopped pretending that 3rd parties don't matter, they'd get more support

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Mario Kart could be too. Mario Kart Wii sold more copies than Pokemon Red and Blue
RealTalk...??..!!!!! (0_0)

Glad to see some rational discussion here. I personally can't fathom SSB4 "saving" the Wii U. Smash Bros couldn't save the GameCube, which was doing better than the Wii U at this point in its life. I fail to see how it will save the Wii U, especially with sales surely split between the Wii U and 3DS. The Wii U version may be the more attractive to the average forum-goer, but I think there's a large silent group (mostly young children) to whom the multiplayer benefits offered by the console version will either be lost or ignored. It'll be the cheaper game for a system that most kids already have, so it'll be an easier purchase for parents or Junior with his birthday money.

If any one game is going to save the Wii U, it'll be Mario Kart. But I personally think it'll take a multitude of games to engender the change Nintendo wants to see, if it happens at all. Relying on Smash would be reflective of Nintendo's current problem (aside from their awful marketing): relying on cheap money-grabbers with the occasional "big" game always dangling in our faces for a future release of indefinite date. A steady stream of titles of at least modest quality would demonstrate that they're as committed to the console's success as they keep saying they are.
Galaxy 3 will help when it drops.

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
the huge drop in software from DS--->3DS is more from 3rd parties, dude, and you conveniently forgot to mention Bravely Default and the version of Kingdom Hearts were both spinoffs

also stop saying counsel, it's pissing me off
but yes, if Nintendo had released a system with a design similar to PS4/XB1 and stopped pretending that 3rd parties don't matter, they'd get more support
Question: Are spin-offs support? (Heck, most people think the new numbered FFs are garbage.)

There's a drop in support, yes, but that's because the 3DS is a new system. The PS3 lost alot of PS2 support. They'll be gained back eventually because the 3DS is the best selling video game ANYTHING on the market.

You have absolutely no way to prove that third parties would support a Nintendo console ever again. Most big TPs hate Nintendo because they're kiddie. You want Nintendo to drop their biggest franchises? Never going to happen.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Im 100/ sure it will happen

Miyamoto was saying some.stuff

I hate the galaxy series

Good for you and others though
You hate life?
Also, third-parties don't drift off from Nintendo because they're 'kiddy', it's because Nintendo only outputs quality, and we all know that's a problem with companies like EA.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You hate life?
Also, third-parties don't drift off from Nintendo because they're 'kiddy', it's because Nintendo only outputs quality, and we all know that's a problem with companies like EA.
Nintendo's main audience is kids. Most decent third party games nowadays don't appeal to Nintendo kids. It's simple math really.

BentoBox

Smash Master
There is no such thing as 'gimmick' controllers or 'traditional' gamers. All of that is opinionated hogwash.
ehhhh

gimmick /ˈɡɪmɪk/
  1. something designed to attract extra attention, interest, or publicity
  2. any clever device, gadget, or stratagem, esp one used to deceive
There needs to be a widely accepted plane of reference for something to stick out and be labelled as a gimmick. The WiiU pad definitely does stand out amongst other "standard" offerings.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Galaxy 3 will help when it drops.
Screw Galaxy 3. Nintendo needs to release a 3D Mario platformer with an original theme if they want to be taken seriously.

If 3D Land...er World and Galaxy 3 are all Nintendo have got from Mario 3D platforming for the Wii U, it honestly deserves to not do so well, IMO.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
ehhhh

gimmick /ˈɡɪmɪk/
  1. something designed to attract extra attention, interest, or publicity
  2. any clever device, gadget, or stratagem, esp one used to deceive
There needs to be a widely accepted plane of reference for something to stick out and be labelled as a gimmick. The WiiU pad definitely does stand out amongst other "standard" offerings.
The other controllers' gimmick is being 'normal'. Would people be as interested in the other controllers if they weren't the same as before?

smashmachine

Smash Lord
You hate life?
oh my you're gonna bring up that terrible fanboy argument?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
oh my you're gonna bring up that terrible fanboy argument?
This post

Question: Are spin-offs support? (Heck, most people think the new numbered FFs are garbage.)

There's a drop in support, yes, but that's because the 3DS is a new system. The PS3 lost alot of PS2 support. They'll be gained back eventually because the 3DS is the best selling video game ANYTHING on the market.

You have absolutely no way to prove that third parties would support a Nintendo console ever again. Most big TPs hate Nintendo because they're kiddie. You want Nintendo to drop their biggest franchises? Never going to happen.
Doesn't answer this post.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Will Smash 4 save the Wii U? No. Will Smash 4 push consoles majorly? Yes. Perhaps enough copies to trail behind MK8, dare I say. Along with those, the rest of the 1st party line-up and other highly-anticipated games slated for release later this year (i.e. Bayonetta 2), the Wii U will at least break even and surpass Gamecube lifetime sales.

But seriously, if the quarterly fiscal reports and investor's conference hasn't socked reality against Nintendo's adamantine cranium like a brick, the time has come for Nintendo to ascend from their 3rd fiddle since 4 consecutive console generations and become strong and supported enough to fend off the PS4 and Xbone. Isn't that ultimately the reason why this discussion is even occurring? All of their weak points have been identified and they have the stock and reserves to do those moves plus Wii lifetime sales.

Invest your resources in having specs on par or greater than current gen along with that unique, innovative Nintendo experience, Although, you may want to wait a few more years until certain entertainment technologies become more accessible to plunge into those 'blue oceans' early. However, never make them required for console functionality like the Wii U Gamepad, as much as I like that controller. Do your best to make deals with third parties to develop big upcoming titles to the Wii U along with exclusive deals towards certain companies (Sega, Atlus, etc.) Weed out any shovelware making a buffer on your system and reinforce quality control without tyrannical conduct. Introduce a massive marketing campaign from TV, Internet, and smartphones that doesn't scream "FAMILY FUN HHHHRUUGGGAAHH!"; Sony and Microsoft have some damn entertaining ad campaigns and they deserve the result of them. Most importantly, if you want to keep trust in consumers and fans alike, do not abandon the Wii U! Even with the Fusion rumors becoming more and more apparent, you can merge the Wii U and 3DS separate, but together. Learn the lesson of the Saturn to Dreamcast, especially since you have enough games and IPs to pull through. A new Zelda, StarFox, F-Zero, Metroid, Kid Icarus, a true Mario Bros. 4 that revolutionizes the series, some old franchise reboots, and new IPs would be great. Dedicate time and resources to their development so they will have a qualified mark years down the line.

Nintendo is unkillable.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Screw Galaxy 3. Nintendo needs to release a 3D Mario platformer with an original theme if they want to be taken seriously.

If 3D Land...er World and Galaxy 3 are all Nintendo have got from Mario 3D platforming for the Wii U, it honestly deserves to not do so well, IMO.
I see nothing wrong with continuing a series that has churned out 2 top 10 rated games of all time. http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all?view=condensed&sort=desc

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
This post

Doesn't answer this post.
yeah, there's a reason why I didn't quote your post

but since you asked: the fact that Square Enix isn't bringing mainline FF/KH titles to 3DS is indicative of that, but more importantly, I already told you how overall 3rd party numbers look

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Yh for Real the Galaxy series imo was garbage.

SM64 & Sunshine were galaxies better.

But no doubt....they will be a Galaxy 3 im as sure as i
Am that either one of Palutena/Lil Mac/Mewtwo will be playable.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I see nothing wrong with continuing a series that has churned out 2 top 10 rated games of all time. http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all?view=condensed&sort=desc

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I really couldn't care less what the critics think/say. Top rated by them, but not by me.

Besides, that is beside the point entirely. If the next 3D Mario platformer for the Wii U really is Galaxy 3, it will make the Wii U really feel like a mere recycling of past successes. The Wii U needs titles it can call its own, especially in the case of 3D Mario platforming, as it will be the very first 3D Nintendo home console without an 'original' (as opposed to sequels) 3D Mario platformer otherwise, and that can not look good. It certainly wouldn't to me.

JediLink

Smash Ace
I really couldn't care less what the critics think/say. Top rated by them, but not by me.

Besides, that is beside the point entirely. If the next 3D Mario platformer for the Wii U really is Galaxy 3, it will make the Wii U really feel like a mere recycling of past successes. The Wii U needs titles it can call its own, especially in the case of 3D Mario platforming, as it will be the very first 3D Nintendo home console without an 'original' (as opposed to sequels) 3D Mario platformer otherwise, and that can not look good. It certainly wouldn't to me.
Although I love both Galaxy games I completely agree with this. Games that are just more of the same as are really not going to do anything to attract attention to the Wii U. They need something totally new that you can't get anywhere else.

And pulling out Metacritic as "evidence" is laughable and always has been.

Top Bottom