• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

IrArby

Smash Ace
Respectfully disagree unless your Marth happens to be Cactuar who I've seen do some aweful things to Falcons. lol Yea ideally Marth never gets touched since hes outranges/outprioritizes Falcon everywhere but your ****ed once he grabs you.

Personally, I think its a soft counter at best but its at least pretty close to an even Matchup.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Falcon does have the advantage vs Marth unless the falcon is stupid and goes to the ledge vs marth. On stage, Falcon has the advantage.

edit - what is all this stuff people are saying i said, when did i ever say i **** jigglypuff cuz i definitely don't

also after throwing falcon off, either dash off fair, or counter

do one of those 2 things, 50% of the time each, and that will kill them every other time

IrArby

Smash Ace
^^^What he said. m2k I mean

M2K (*shoutout from no one) I played a guy named Lozr in a tourney 2 weeks ago (apparently he's the Melee No. 1 in NC) and he's says he versed you before in friendlies. Ring a bell by chance? No particular reason just curious.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
Jason said counter because I used to dthrow his falcon off stage and he di's towards me and uair immediately, so I decided to use counter to counteract it.

Much love Jason.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
Jason said counter because I used to dthrow his falcon off stage and he di's towards me and uair immediately, so I decided to use counter to counteract it.

Much love.

also, pick up your phone, so I can come over, and tell your mom that I can help you with school work.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Falcon's good against Marth eh? that's a good thing, because ive been starting to play him recently (just for fun though, messing around with his combos and stuff, comboing with him is to much fun :)). But it isn't that big of a step to start playing him more seriously. Also if this comes from m2k himself you know it can't be wrong.
Ok, so how to actually play in the falcon vs marth matchup... from watching vids and reading comments this is what ive learned about how falcon should play in this matchup:
Keep myself just barely out his swords range with my DD and WD to bait attacks, wait for him to miss something and utilize those few frames he's lagging from whatever he missed to dash in with falcon's hax footspeed and punish him with a shffl, grab or whatever else seems fit (whatever you have enough time to do... and also, most things that falcon can hit a marth with can lead to a combo, i know that already ;)). Uhmm.... space retreating nairs if he does get to close (and bair, maybe?)? And like m2k just said keep away from the edges at all costs.
Hmm, am I missing something?

EDIT: Btw, lately ive been practicing nair-nair-nair combos with falcon (just by myself against non di-ing dummies, i havent used it against any of my friends yet). I heard you can DI away from the nair fairly easily (up and towards falcon, i think), is the nair useless against someone who knows how to DI or should i just use it sparingly?

EDIT: Sorry if I'm focusing to much on falcon I do realize that this is a marth topic and everything I asked is regarding the falcon vs. marth matchup (including the question about wether i should use nairs in combos or not)

IrArby

Smash Ace
I've got a question. Why are there no vids anywhere (by anywhere I mean on Youtube) that feature Cactuar vs. M2K? Riddle me That!

Seriously, if there are I'd like to see them.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
The reason is mostly because we practice a lot of strategies and prefer to keep them to ourselves until tournaments and such.

(Really, it's because I am secretly better than him.)

IrArby

Smash Ace
Fair enough. I can definetly see what you mean. Don't want the Patriots watching your training sessions kinda thing.

Anyway, I have another question. In a post by Cort, possibly earlier in this thread, he talks about how to crouch cancel grab by mashing something or another while crouching (obviously) but I'm a little confused on how exactly to execute it. His instructions actually confused me more. Could someone possibly explain better? Also, is anyone else NOT recieving email notifications from Smashboards right now?

Thanks to whomever in advance.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
dood light hits and other things like jabs, or weak hits of people's aerials can all be crouch cancel grabbed, especially at low percentages, just crouch cancel the attack, immediately do block and a button

IrArby

Smash Ace
Cool Thanks. For the record I know what Crouch Canceling is and how to do it but I was just shady on the Grabbing part since its not a technique that you hear about a lot.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
pffffft wofflesmannnnn, it just meansthat you are really talented at this game cause you got pro real quick and understood m2k as well as i did

Tero.

Smash Champion
I do have some problems with approaching sometimes ...

any tips ?

Mostly i user fair/nair/dtilt but its just to unsafe most of the time idk y

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
in terms of marth's side b (aka dancing blade) you probably shouldn't use it that often. the first part will help you recover the first time you use it in the air. it can also be used against fast fallers (mostly capt. falcon) whom you can sometimes hit with all four parts of it. and it can be used to stall in the air (again it only does anything significant the first it is used each time in the air) to mess with your opponent's timing or help your own. in most cases it's probably not the best attack you could use, but when used in the proper situations it can have devastating effects.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Ah yeah i should have said "side b as an offensive move", ofc i know you can use it to recover!
thx anyway.

And about my 2nd question:
"And if you use sh single fair do you sh fair and then space it (di back) or sh, space it and then fair while coming down ?"

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Ah yeah i should have said "side b as an offensive move", ofc i know you can use it to recover!
thx anyway.

And about my 2nd question:
"And if you use sh single fair do you sh fair and then space it (di back) or sh, space it and then fair while coming down ?"
It's too vague. You could do either depending on the situation. If they shield you want to try to hit as low as possible so you can avoid getting shieldgrabbed. If they jump to attack you or such you may need to fair earlier to try to beat out their attack. You could think of doing a single fair but they jump towards you right as you short hop and it turns into a sh double fair. Plus what you said can be thought to be one and the same. You can sh space it by di back then fair when coming down. It's all relative to what your opponent is doing. If he is sitting their in shield you can try to attack low on the shield. If they are moving around you need to be careful and watch them and fair late if they don't approach to avoid them trying to DD grab you.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I'm always really amused when other people answer questions in the "Ask CACTUAR" thread.

(Btw, single fairs should almost always be done while coming down from the peak of your jump.)

Liemohnoes

Smash Rookie
yo cactuar:

1. whats a good way to start ken combo? fsmash usually sends them too far away so that your fair them cuz it wouldnt reach them. dash attack (tipped) doesnt get them far away enough. tips?

2. this may sound pretty lame / noob but how do u drop from the edge, b-air or d-air and get back to the edge? i mean button input. when i try to do this, i drop, midair jump, b/d-air, b-up but i usually miss and fall. does it have to hit or am i just doing something wrong?

3. when is it acceptable to start SHDF'ing your enemy? percentage-wise. starting at 0%, the knockback usually doesnt get them far enough to really SHDF them efficiently. i haven't really tested the percentage needed

thanks!

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
For Ken Combos, just chain fairs, and you'll be fine.

If you're ledgehopping a dair, I'd recommend DI'ing into the stage as you rise, so that you land on the stage. Bairs you can drop straight into or double jump out with or ledgehop. Lots of options.

You can SHDF at most medium percentages against characters - it depends on the match up. Make sure you'll definitely connect though, otherwise it's really easy to punish.

Top Bottom