• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cataclysm 5 - "Melee Legends" Suggest Falco players now!

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
The big issue with having 5 falcons v 5 marths is.. honestly watching the same matchup 5 times in a row in a crew battle wouldn't be as exciting and it removes the concept or counter picking entirely
Really? I think there is way more pride in a character specific crew than just a random assortment of people. People have regional pride for sure, but they have character pride too. And pride is what makes crews good.

I'd agree it'd be boring with like 25 players (I'd still watch it and love it lolol) but with 5 I really don't think so. Thats one GF set. People will still counterpick people too (Marth crew would want to save M2K for when Mango is out for example), so that element would still be there. Everyone would learn a lot more about the character matchups and how different people approach them with the vids too. It'd be great for the community.

Just my opinion; I still love your idea too.

I.B

Smash Lord
this is a cool *** idea. i'd love to see vids

single character crews wouldn't be as entertaining but maybe more of a learning experience like crimson blur said.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Well.. Let's see what alternative we could do to include falcon / puff

Fox, Marth, Sheik, Falco, Peach, Falcon, Puff would be top 7

Having 7 players means 7 teams.
4 stock is 28 stock.. doing this in a round robin would take a long time.

So...
3 stock 7 players is 21 stock.. still 2 more teams so it will take longer.. but this is a possibility.

The real downside with this is.. it required the top 7 players of each character which is going to dip into grey areas and will have some.. less than elite players in there most likely
I feel like I'm missing something. Why does it have to be 7 teams if there's 7 people per team?

Why can't it be 5 teams still with 7 players per team? or even 4 teams?

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
@gustav, the point is to have each team have the same roster and see how each player skill/player experience/counterpick/momentum affects the outcome.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
yeah, but there could just as well be 4 teams of 7 or 5 teams of 7. each team would still have 1 of each character. Right?
This is what i get for posting after a long stressful day of work LOL

Yes you are correct.

*facepalm*

I know we're not on the same character crew thing, but just imagine dark rain, silentspectre, hax, scar, and isai on a team...

I agree LOL.. would be delicious

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
I think we'll have a hard time finding 7 teams of 7, but i think people would be more entertained if we can add those other characters that are popular (jiggz/falcon). Jiggz may not be that poplular in the average eye, but if we don't include that character, this battle won't be very representative of the current metagame, would it?

Im not all that familiar with the top players, but i think we should be able to get at least 3-4 TOP players for each character, assuming the tournament picks up a good amount of OOR steam.

DoctorBendz

Smash Cadet
yeah, but there could just as well be 4 teams of 7 or 5 teams of 7. each team would still have 1 of each character. Right?
I thought the idea was to have the #1 player of each character be the captain of their own team, which would mean 7 characters would have 7 different #1 players, which would mean 7 different teams. Because, then you don't have a team with, say, m2k, mango, armada, and like, DSW (or PPMD, or whoever else), which would just destroy the competition.

But, I could be missing something also

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
while that would be good, we would literally need every pro smash player in the country (some OOC) to attend, and i really doubt that would happen. But here's to hoping.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
in all of my infinite wisdom at 5AM i was unable to comprehend this possibility. my b, man.

this seems like it would work fine, and include more characters while still not dropping the skill level by including too many people...the only hard part would be since not every "best" player of each character would be a captain of their own team, you would have to have an alternative way to choose captains. plus that would end up with 3 teams having 2 "best ____" players and 1 team having only 1.
maybe you could have 4 teams and 8 characters, and each team then has 2 "Best ofs" as co-captains.
include falcon, jiggy, and...either ICs or ganon?(both definitely have enough active great players, unlike samus or doc)
that seems like it would work out perfectly, and only eat up an extra 12-15 minutes combined. just a thought, building on gustav's idea.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
Uh, I always thought wild card characters were part of the hype of crew battles. Like when chu monstered 8 stocks with ice climbers? Couldn't you have teams of 7, but play only 20 stocks, having the captains sending in who they find appropriate? I suppose the problem that some people could potentially never play, but with top players only, I'm sure everyone would be put in at some time.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
in all of my infinite wisdom at 5AM i was unable to comprehend this possibility. my b, man.

this seems like it would work fine, and include more characters while still not dropping the skill level by including too many people...the only hard part would be since not every "best" player of each character would be a captain of their own team, you would have to have an alternative way to choose captains. plus that would end up with 3 teams having 2 "best ____" players and 1 team having only 1.
maybe you could have 4 teams and 8 characters, and each team then has 2 "Best ofs" as co-captains.
include falcon, jiggy, and...either ICs or ganon?(both definitely have enough active great players, unlike samus or doc)
that seems like it would work out perfectly, and only eat up an extra 12-15 minutes combined. just a thought, building on gustav's idea.
excellent point!

So hows this..

4 Teams

8 Characters

Top 4 players of each character

32 players

Crews may not consist of more than one of the same character.

Each team will have as follows.

-Fox
-Marth
-Sheik
-Falco
-Peach
-Captain Falcon
-Jigglypuff
-Ice Climbers

Depending on time permitted players will have 3 or 4 stocks each putting each team at 24 or 32 stocks

strawhats

Smash Master
ICs= Chu Dat, Wobbles, Fly Amanita, HoChiMihnTrail, Joe Bushmann (in our dreams)

Marth = M2K, Azen, HBK, Taj, Cactuar (if convinced), Falcomist (new age Ken)

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Ganon and IC both have solid players, that will depend somewhat on how large attendance is. I would expect a very large attendance hopefully though.

strawhats

Smash Master
Tipman, Linguini, Renth, Chaddd, Kage, Eddie, 1233,

VS.

Darkrain, Silent Spectre, Isai, Scar, Hax, G-Regulate, Jiano/Tapion

Marth:

M2K, Ken, Azen, Taj, HBK, Tani

vs.

Jiggz:

Mango, King, Hbox, Darc, Infernum, Benoit

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
excellent point!

So hows this..

4 Teams

8 Characters

Top 4 players of each character

32 players

Crews may not consist of more than one of the same character.

Each team will have as follows.

-Fox
-Marth
-Sheik
-Falco
-Peach
-Captain Falcon
-Jigglypuff
-Ice Climbers

Depending on time permitted players will have 3 or 4 stocks each putting each team at 24 or 32 stocks
Oh **** yea. This sounds amazing.

As far as the Ganon/ICs idea, is it possible to just have a "wild card" spot that allows you to add any top player which doesn't play Fox-Marth-Sheik-Falco-Peach-CF-Jiggs? So like you could have a choice between any low(er) tier character for that spot. Because I dunno how many good ICs you can get; I'm sure if you split that spot between Samus, ICs, Ganon, Luigi, and Doc, you'd get a stronger player pool.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
i want to be in Marth and Sheik, and Fox, and Peach, and Falcon, and Jiggs

I'm not kidding

just don't send me in against myself
The only solution would be for you to play Marth with a controller in one hand and Sheik with a controller in the other.

And we all know you can :laugh:

DoctorBendz

Smash Cadet
i want to be in Marth and Sheik, and Fox, and Peach, and Falcon, and Jiggs

I'm not kidding

just don't send me in against myself
i wish i could allow this LMAO
Dude, just have M2K be his own crew! M2K gets 24 or 32 stocks (depending on how many each other team has) and has to change characters every 4 stocks. :laugh: that'd be so ridiculous but so awesome.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
WHAT THE ****

NO FALCON=AUTO FAIL. Get rid of that dumb ***** Peach.

Fix that, and you've got some awesome stuff.

Just spitballin':

Fox: Jman, Lucky, Cactuar?, PC Chris?, Zgetto? (so many other godly foxes out there too)
Falco: Mango, Shiz, PeePee, Zhu, Calle W (GOOD GOD)
Sheik: Amsah, Tope, KirbyKaze, Drephen, OverTriforce?
Falcon: Darkrain, SS, Scar, Hax, Isai (omg)
Marth: M2K, Falcomist, Taj? Strawhat Dahean? Azen?!!?!? (seriously, who plays marth?)

Would be tooooo good.
Dude, Peach is one of the most balanced characters in the game.. She owns..

Top Bottom