• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Celestial Archives: The Samus Video & Critique Thread (Updated October 4th, 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Lolololol. there you go, Xyro luvers yew again.

My personal preference is Marth and Flaco. like Marth can spam A and b and **** while you are attackign him and he will hit you first. I find that match up too bad for samus. I'd love to see your style of playing versus a good marf.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Both of those are really hard at top level. Ill get some of those vids tomorrow.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
We have no videos of any King Dedede. I really think that should be priority in our list, especially now since we have had huge debates about it. Dont worry Xyro, Im already pretty certain your Samus is much better than mine, so I definitely would not give you problems if you posted a video you'd be ashamed of in this matchup. I think the community would appreciate some videos like that, and I know it would give me a better idea of what this bird is capable of.

Xyro77

We have no videos of any King Dedede. I really think that should be priority in our list, especially now since we have had huge debates about it. Dont worry Xyro, Im already pretty certain your Samus is much better than mine, so I definitely would not give you problems if you posted a video you'd be ashamed of in this matchup. I think the community would appreciate some videos like that, and I know it would give me a better idea of what this bird is capable of.
Yea i can do that for you. And dont worry about bashin me vs ddd. I get bashed day and nite. Feel free to unload your anger on me.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I 2nd that lolololololol.
Athough i will admit playing the SAME ness for 4 hours makes each match a bit harder due to ness natural advanatge over samus.
But I admit it's understandable playing the same person for so long.
And gl and all tomorrow.

Xyro77

I 2nd that lolololololol.

But I admit it's understandable playing the same person for so long.
And gl and all tomorrow.
Ok im off to the fest! Ill try and get DDD/Falco/Marth. Even if i lose do you want the vids up?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Fun fact:
This thread hasn't been updated in exactly one month.

Start sending me your videos, people. This place is looking emptier and emptier every day.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Yeah xyro, if they look like you did decently well load them up, if you got *** ***** then that really only shows us what not to do... and who watches for those things anywayss...

Serris Mah pal! I need vids on the tube first

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
SC@R! (Marth) vs Dantelink (Samus)

Brawl Dominicana.

Edit: Be sure to send the video to Serris through the private message next time. For now, I will send the video to Serris for you.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
SC@R! (Marth) vs Dantelink (Samus)

Brawl Dominicana.

Edit: Be sure to send the video to Serris through the private message next time. For now, I will send the video to Serris for you.
Thank you, Dryn.

I only add videos of players who submit their videos themselves. Unless Dantelink sends the video to me via private message, I'm not updating the archive. Sorry.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
About time someone sent me in something new after almost two months of no updates. Just goes to show how inactive we are.

Crescens

Smash Cadet
Very good, Xyro.

I think you should be more patient with your chargeshots, though. I also noticed a distinct lack of fairs; you often just used a zair instead, even from close range. Not that I could do better, though. ^_^

Xyro77

Well i try not to be a samus that gets into hand to hand situations. Shes not good at them. And she REALLY is not good at them when yoou are dealing with some one who can KO and has long range.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
not my best but ill try to record some new ones. the main problem is that the only good person that lived close to me that i could play/ record with has just moved to college so ya..... but were supposed to play some wifi matches soon and ill have him record so hopefully ill have more up.

Gotta say Crews, didn't expect you to be that good ^^, When I get to my next tourny Ill be sure to steal the SD cards for footage <3 :3

Xyro77

Question, all of the vids on the front page are OFFLIINE right? If not, i recommend the wifi ones be taken off.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Mm, how about separated into a different list? I still see value in them: they may not accurately display what the opponent is capable of, but they still provide insight and knowledge of what Samus is capable of.

Xyro77

Mm, how about separated into a different list? I still see value in them: they may not accurately display what the opponent is capable of, but they still provide insight and knowledge of what Samus is capable of.
Maybe of what shes capable of ONLINE where it doesnt matter. But yea a section for wifi is a good idea. ALso, maybe could you break it up into CHARACTERS instead of players? IMO if i want to learn how to beat ABC i dont give a **** what samus does it, i just wanna learn, ya know?

Also, i just got finished recording with texas best falcon. I have some GREAT videos. Ill get them uploaded and sent in within the next day or so.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Maybe of what shes capable of ONLINE where it doesnt matter. But yea a section for wifi is a good idea. ALso, maybe could you break it up into CHARACTERS instead of players? IMO if i want to learn how to beat ABC i dont give a **** what samus does it, i just wanna learn, ya know?
Well, I mean it's good for knowing what combos Samus has. Whether or not they're safe and successful is skewed simply because it's wi-fi. But the fact that they exist shouldn't be removed.

And I suggested the change from players to characters a while ago. Of course, they may listen to you more ;_;.

EDIT: WOAH. TIME OUT. WHEN I SUGGESTED THE IDEA, YOU WERE THE ONE THAT SHOT ME DOWN! HEY!

Xyro77

EDIT: WOAH. TIME OUT. WHEN I SUGGESTED THE IDEA, YOU WERE THE ONE THAT SHOT ME DOWN! HEY!
I did? WOW, i apologize for that. I recently saw the bowser boards vid thread and they did it by character, it looked cool.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Mhm, anyway, where's Serris? I want to know how he did on the low-tier tourney as well.
I'm in the loser's bracket. This should tell you something.

Anyway, I'm not going to reorganize it, for now. It's a pain maintaining the way it's already set up.

Xyro77

Xyro(samus) vs Royr(C falcon) 1/2/3/4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zLAs1OsZ4c

The 2nd best falcon in texas vs the best samus in the USA. The last stock of the last match is TASTY.

Offtopic: i need all of you to realize what i did in these matches and in the legan matches. DO what WORKS and not what is flashy and cool. It really does make a massive difference

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Xyro(samus) vs Royr(C falcon) 1/2/3/4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zLAs1OsZ4c

The best falcon in texas vs the best samus in the USA. The last stock of the last match is TASTY.

Offtopic: i need all of you to realize what i did in these matches and in the legan matches. DO what WORKS and not what is flashy and cool. It really does make a massive difference
Match 3: Xyro tries f-air cancels. Works once, doesn't work again. He stops doing it. This is what we need to learn to do in our matches. Stop trying what doesn't work.

Match 4: I lol'ed. Looking back, I wonder if Royr realizes that if he were to just be patient after realizing up+b worked the first time, he would have landed it the third time. Too much adrenaline over the epicness I guess.

Overall, your spacing is amazing. Your DI/momentum canceling is iffy. I think I've said this about the Legan matches too... I guess your logic is why practice what happens if you get hit if you practice not getting hit at all? Which is alright, but still...

But yeah, low tier **** from Xyro. Good ****.

In other news, I hear you'll be on the EC soon. I think I might go to that tournament. XD

Xyro77

Match 3: Xyro tries f-air cancels. Works once, doesn't work again. He stops doing it. This is what we need to learn to do in our matches. Stop trying what doesn't work.

Match 4: I lol'ed. Looking back, I wonder if Royr realizes that if he were to just be patient after realizing up+b worked the first time, he would have landed it the third time. Too much adrenaline over the epicness I guess.

Overall, your spacing is amazing. Your DI/momentum canceling is iffy. I think I've said this about the Legan matches too... I guess your logic is why practice what happens if you get hit if you practice not getting hit at all? Which is alright, but still...

But yeah, low tier **** from Xyro. Good ****.

In other news, I hear you'll be on the EC soon. I think I might go to that tournament. XD
Yea im gonna try to go to "crank that kosha" event. If you go i would love to play you. Rhyme has already declined a samus ditto MM so would u want to?

And as for the momentum cancelling thing, its the same as the grapple gimp. I just dont practice it, so i dont do it right all the time. Its no big deal, im still fine.

And as for the momentum cancelling thing, its the same as the grapple gimp. I just dont practice it, so i dont do it right all the time. Its no big deal, im still fine.

Yeah as I stated on YT (SpookyJaw), your still the best, but it really will advance your game :3.

Alot of the stuff you did will really help me, so thats awesome, thanks man.

Xyro77

Yeah as I stated on YT (SpookyJaw), your still the best, but it really will advance your game :3.

Alot of the stuff you did will really help me, so thats awesome, thanks man.
yea man no problem, im glad i could help you out.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Yea im gonna try to go to "crank that kosha" event. If you go i would love to play you. Rhyme has already declined a samus ditto MM so would u want to?.
MMs:

Samus: $5
Sheik: $5

kk?

EDIT: I want a chance to win my money back IN CASE I lose the Samus dittos. :3

Later on this month I'll be able to get some footage up from a tourny, so can it be added to the front?

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
Xyro, didnt know you used fair improperly. A lot of people get it wrong, dont feel bad, but you should never approach with it in the situation you were in. Always use it as a wall. You either retreat, or you fall straight down. Otherwise you WILL get punished by a grab. Nice vids though, great 3 stock on last match.

Crescens

Smash Cadet
practice it, so i dont do it right all the time. Its no big deal, im still fine.
That's not the kind of attitude that's going to advance Samus' metagame! You shouldn't settler for "fine'.

Based on tournament placings, it's incontestable that you're the best Samus. Even so - and I say this with the most constructive intent - you have lots to work on. Re-tethering and re-grabbing with an upB are ridiculously easy - they can be mastered with few minutes of practice. Even in those Falcon matches (great, by the way), there were a few instances where I thought "Xyro, retether!!". You could have got a few easy KOs. Momentum canceling isn't something to take lightly either - it's not unrealistic to be living 10+% higher just by pressing the right button when you get hit. It makes a big difference, and takes minimal practice. Reflex isn't so great with PT by choosing not to learn certain things.

Speaking of little details that make a difference, angling your Fsmash up (at least against Falcon) would be add up a few extra %. The forward and down smashes are probably ok at higher damages simply to get the opponent off the edge in a position where they can be gimped. Also, there were quite a few instances where Falcon was just over a jab length away- you guys were both playing the spacing game with jabs (ex. 7:03). The ftilt would have to be a better option in these situations. Of course it's too slow to be viable when you're in jab range, but it does a good job at keeping him outside of that area.

Anyway, I don't mean to criticize you (or your Samus ^_^) personally. You're obviously better than I am. I just want to help Samus do better than she's doing right now - which she does have the potential to do.

I also have one general tip that I think could be of (at least some) benefit to most Samus players. Learn to buffer a reversed dtilt after a autocancelled aerial. I've seen many instances watching various Samus videos where there's a great opportunity for a dtilt after an aerial (very often dair or uair), but the Samus is facing the wrong direction and doesn't accomplish anything.

By the way, 2:46, that Fair -> pivot grab -> Bthrow into a missile you shot earlier was pretty ridiculously epic. You read him with perfection.

Xyro77

Xyro, didnt know you used fair improperly. A lot of people get it wrong, dont feel bad, but you should never approach with it in the situation you were in. Always use it as a wall. You either retreat, or you fall straight down. Otherwise you WILL get punished by a grab.
I disagree. There is no proper way of using fair. Fair is situational ALL the time. Approaching a character like falcon(whos nair is trash) in the air with fair is the best option imo. Sure i could zair for 4% but a fair can do lots more. ALso, at times i do not know exactly what the BEST option is, so i do what i feel is safe. Some times i put safety(or what i feel is safe) over all else.

That's not the kind of attitude that's going to advance Samus' metagame! You shouldn't settler for "fine'.

Based on tournament placings, it's incontestable that you're the best Samus. Even so - and I say this with the most constructive intent - you have lots to work on. Re-tethering and re-grabbing with an upB are ridiculously easy - they can be mastered with few minutes of practice. Even in those Falcon matches (great, by the way), there were a few instances where I thought "Xyro, retether!!". You could have got a few easy KOs. Momentum canceling isn't something to take lightly either - it's not unrealistic to be living 10+% higher just by pressing the right button when you get hit. It makes a big difference, and takes minimal practice. Reflex isn't so great with PT by choosing not to learn certain things.

Speaking of little details that make a difference, angling your Fsmash up (at least against Falcon) would be add up a few extra %. The forward and down smashes are probably ok at higher damages simply to get the opponent off the edge in a position where they can be gimped. Also, there were quite a few instances where Falcon was just over a jab length away- you guys were both playing the spacing game with jabs (ex. 7:03). The ftilt would have to be a better option in these situations. Of course it's too slow to be viable when you're in jab range, but it does a good job at keeping him outside of that area.

Anyway, I don't mean to criticize you (or your Samus ^_^) personally. You're obviously better than I am. I just want to help Samus do better than she's doing right now - which she does have the potential to do.

I also have one general tip that I think could be of (at least some) benefit to most Samus players. Learn to buffer a reversed dtilt after a autocancelled aerial. I've seen many instances watching various Samus videos where there's a great opportunity for a dtilt after an aerial (very often dair or uair), but the Samus is facing the wrong direction and doesn't accomplish anything.

By the way, 2:46, that Fair -> pivot grab -> Bthrow into a missile you shot earlier was pretty ridiculously epic. You read him with perfection.

Learning to grapple gimp may take 5 min to learn but applying it under pressure against a really good player is different. Too many times has it not worked and too many times ive got hit out of it. So i either work around it or dont try it because i know ill end up killing the foe another way.

Tilting your f-smash makes u lose range(iirc) so i had a choice. Do a regular f-smash with extended range or do the shorter one(which does more damage/knock back) and have it MAYBE miss the target. I dont aim for quick and easy kills. I take my time and wait for the right moment. Wether thats good or bad is up to each person.

Xyro77

There is a diff between momentum cancel and DI. Momentum cancel is u-air to bomb. DI is obvious.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Well yes, I know the difference. Regardless, they're associated together for survival. Your DI is iffy. (You DI'ed CF's u-smash when you whiffed that grab, which was your shining moment. The rest of your deaths were meh.) You often don't momentum cancel (you air dodge which does nothing to stop momentum, and you z-air, often killing yourself early because it extends your range into the killzone.)

Unless, you know you're going to die in which case getting back onto the stage isn't that bad of an idea.

Well... actually, no, not even then. Even if you were to make yourself die faster knowing you'd die anyway, the opponent still has a good 3 seconds to reset their position (plenty of time for most characters). You'd be better off trying to survive and momentum cancel anyway, just to get into the habit of always DI'ing->momentum canceling (that's annoying to write several times.)

The only exception to this rule that I could think of would be doubles, where you have to get back on the stage asap.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
Yes Xyro, fair is situational, but there is a situation that is easily punishable and there is a situation that is hard to punish.

You had a fair that worked against Falcon in your 3rd match. Your spacing was such that when Falcon tried punishing with a buffered grab, he got hit. The other two or three times you used it same match, you either continued going forward with fair or your spacing was off, and you got punished.

I realize that I mistyped, I apologize, you can approach with fair, but it is much harder to space properly while continuing to advance. Additionally, if you are approaching and do space correctly so as to not get punished, it is likely you only get one flame to hit rather than two or three when forming a wall.

Now there are other situations you can use fair, but as for fastfalling or grounding a fair I highly recommend doing it only in the ways I have mentioned. Otherwise you most likely set yourself up to be grabbed. I think your way is safe to do in Samus dittos though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom