• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Celestial Archives: The Samus Video & Critique Thread (Updated October 4th, 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Unless, you know you're going to die in which case getting back onto the stage isn't that bad of an idea.

The only exception to this rule that I could think of would be doubles, where you have to get back on the stage asap.
This^ i know i will die so i speed up the process so i dont have time to feel bad about getting KOed. Its just a personal thing. And yea in teams all samus players should do this.

Yes Xyro, fair is situational, but there is a situation that is easily punishable and there is a situation that is hard to punish.

You had a fair that worked against Falcon in your 3rd match. Your spacing was such that when Falcon tried punishing with a buffered grab, he got hit. The other two or three times you used it same match, you either continued going forward with fair or your spacing was off, and you got punished.

I realize that I mistyped, I apologize, you can approach with fair, but it is much harder to space properly while continuing to advance. Additionally, if you are approaching and do space correctly so as to not get punished, it is likely you only get one flame to hit rather than two or three when forming a wall.

Now there are other situations you can use fair, but as for fastfalling or grounding a fair I highly recommend doing it only in the ways I have mentioned. Otherwise you most likely set yourself up to be grabbed. I think your way is safe to do in Samus dittos though...
ah ok i see what you mean.

Crescens

Smash Cadet
Speaking of DI by the way, I did some testing in training a while back against Tink's Usmash. With perfect DI, fair and uair were practically the same. Fair was marginally better (by less than 1%), but this is potentially attributable to human error. I couldn't get bombs (after uair/fair + FF) to make even a 1% difference. Has anyone else has better luck with it?

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
Good match, but it seemed to me the Samus plays too much wifi, am I right? Wifi Samus players tend to use her dair very frequently because it becomes much less punishable, and dair sets up nicely into other attacks. My own style of play changes up quite a bit when I play wifi Samus. Dair is very effective wifi.

However, IRL dair sucks simply for the fact that it is just too easy to predict and punish. So many instances in that video Samus should have been punished for spamming dair. So either not a great G&W for sure, or he just didnt know that matchup at all. But still thank you for posting the video.

@ Crescens, are you referring to DI as in movement? It would appear you are using DI in the wrong context if I am thinking right. DI only refers to a characters influence input before hitstun is up, and is not to be confused with SDI either.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
That Samus is actually not bad, especially against a GaW
i disagree. true, with some distance between G&W and samus can lead to some missiles and zairs but G&W can for the most part get around those move fairly easily due to his small size, dtilt, etc. not to mention good luck trying to spike a G&W. im sure everyone has realized by now that it must be timed perfectly in order to do and even then i think you still trade hits. speaking of which, just one more reason why i don't think samus does very well aganist G&W is because of priority. G&W>samus. not to mention that her floatyness leads to chained nairs and uairs and stuff like that. btw, im saying this as if both players are at equal skill level and know the matchup. but, jmo.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I thought the match was interesting. TheRockSays, be sure to send videos to Serris next time. He is the owner of this thread. He will determine on whether or not the video will be accepted. He has certain things he probably wants to meet the criteria. It has nothing to do with the video itself. Whether Samus wins or loses is acceptable here. I'll send the link to Serris, because we want the videos to be on the first page, not within the many pages.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
I would believe that one of the players in the video must submit it, not an outside source.

Also... decent Samus. Too much missile canceling/camping IMO, but if it works, it works. (It shouldn't, but whatever.)

i disagree. true, with some distance between G&W and samus can lead to some missiles and zairs but G&W can for the most part get around those move fairly easily due to his small size, dtilt, etc. not to mention good luck trying to spike a G&W. im sure everyone has realized by now that it must be timed perfectly in order to do and even then i think you still trade hits. speaking of which, just one more reason why i don't think samus does very well aganist G&W is because of priority. G&W>samus. not to mention that her floatyness leads to chained nairs and uairs and stuff like that. btw, im saying this as if both players are at equal skill level and know the matchup. but, jmo.
Oh sorry the way I typed it seemed like it was related to the matchup, my apologies. I just meant in general, what with GaW being a better character overall, not at all related to the matchup :3.

If I see any good GaWs at my tournies ill ask for a few friendlies just to see how I would fair (lol poor pun is poor). Ill also be asking some Tink mains for matches, I just so happen to know a few decent ones, so hopefully they have time since I dont happen to know the matchup AT ALL, any suggestions for cps? :333333333

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
Good match, but it seemed to me the Samus plays too much wifi, am I right? Wifi Samus players tend to use her dair very frequently because it becomes much less punishable, and dair sets up nicely into other attacks. My own style of play changes up quite a bit when I play wifi Samus. Dair is very effective wifi.

However, IRL dair sucks simply for the fact that it is just too easy to predict and punish. So many instances in that video Samus should have been punished for spamming dair. So either not a great G&W for sure, or he just didnt know that matchup at all. But still thank you for posting the video.

@ Crescens, are you referring to DI as in movement? It would appear you are using DI in the wrong context if I am thinking right. DI only refers to a characters influence input before hitstun is up, and is not to be confused with SDI either.
No not wifi In Dominican Republic we have to pay alot of money for internet. I think hes very good with samus.
I thought the match was interesting. TheRockSays, be sure to send videos to Serris next time. He is the owner of this thread. He will determine on whether or not the video will be accepted. He has certain things he probably wants to meet the criteria. It has nothing to do with the video itself. Whether Samus wins or loses is acceptable here. I'll send the link to Serris, because we want the videos to be on the first page, not within the many pages.
ok!

Match 1: Legend, that Samus has a BEAUTIFUL use of zair, honestly I was gasming the whole way through that, however, a few more missles and less dairs would have benefited him a bit more since dair became a bit predictable and did cost him some %.

Match 2: WAYYYY less Power Missles, more homing missles and WAAAYYYYYYYY more zair. Less bair since it seriously did nothing but make him predictable, but his use of spot dodge up b was actually pretty impressive.

Overall, very good Samus, if he knew the matchups a bit more, he could have EASILY 2 stocked <3. Thanks for the videos ;o.

Werk!

Smash Rookie
Not entirely sure those videos deserve to be put up. LDPK means well, but my p-suit's still subpar and I'm still struggling with most of the basics. xD

A couple of points:

Match 1: That Wario is actually a Kirby main who was throwing out his Wario for first match. He utterly tooled me when he pulled out Kirby.

Match 2: The DK had probably never faced a Samus in his life. He honestly should not have been grabbed that much.

I think I'm just lucky that no one in NC actually mains power-suit... ^_^;

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
*After browsing through my video archive...*

I realize i have more WERK videos than I thought.

If you guys could, put these up under 'WERK!' as well ^_^. Thank you very much!

vs. Zamus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgLUmB2WJF8 *New good quality*
vs. Samus (ditto) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAHylgd3emU *New Good Quality*
vs. ROB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39sWgyPrEhA *New good quality*
vs. Toon Link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wWxGY4GRgw *New good quality*
vs. Peach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE17wSUjQxw *older spring 2009 video*

DOUBLES:
Werk! & Bobbi vs LDPK & Arc-thefallen- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8rey-dWQqY *new good quality* EPIC FINISH

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
People really need to learn to read the topic before posting in it.
As before, singles and doubles matches are acceptable, but combo videos are off-limits. Keep the posts strictly limited to commentary. If you want a video added, send me a message.
tl;dr - PM Serris to add, not link here.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Is an honest mistake. It's nothing to really worry about, I'm just saving you the freak-out from Serris whenever he decides to stop being sick/failing at MP2 start being a Samus main again.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Is an honest mistake. It's nothing to really worry about, I'm just saving you the freak-out from Serris whenever he decides to stop being sick/failing at MP2 start being a Samus main again.

Lawl. I'ma keep an eye out on this thread, this could get interesting very quickly, you just lit his fire baby <3

I'll try to get some vids recorded, or me and a friend playing

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Updating the thread with Xyro's video. Unless Werk decides to participate in the community more often, I'm not adding his videos.

Updated the first post with those criteria Dryn mentioned. Now it's not just in my head any more.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Nice videos, Rhyme. Those matches were fun to watch, and I don't say that often. I wish you and Rykoshet would get some more videos in.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Thanks. He came up to me at a tournament and requested matches (on his Wii), and I had an absolute blast playing with him. I would gladly play him more often if I ever saw him. =/ Smart players are the most fun to play with.

Those matches looked hella fun Rhyme, seriously. An Ike player who can actually use fair smartly, its a shocker but a pleasant one.

Xyro77

Im re-uploading some pkmn t vids i got with Magik a few days ago. For some reason they didnt load up right.

edit: ok they are uploaded. waiting on serris

LanceStern

Smash Lord
That video of you vs. Magik 3 was awesome. You completely murdered his charizard it looked like he put his controller down.

How best to handle squirtle? He seems very tricky, almost worse than MetaKnight.

And I thought I was the only one that had that Fair Self Destruct problem on FD. I hate that lip

Xyro77

That video of you vs. Magik 3 was awesome. You completely murdered his charizard it looked like he put his controller down.

How best to handle squirtle? He seems very tricky, almost worse than MetaKnight.

And I thought I was the only one that had that Fair Self Destruct problem on FD. I hate that lip
Its not the lip. Its just i get nervous at times and i revert back to melee and try to do stuff super fast which does not work in brawl.

anywho, i got a crap load of vids im uploading right now. teams and singles. ill send them to serris asap

Its not the lip. Its just i get nervous at times and i revert back to melee and try to do stuff super fast which does not work in brawl.

anywho, i got a crap load of vids im uploading right now. teams and singles. ill send them to serris asap
I saw your Ultimate Razer matches, you were awesome ;o.

I to, will be sending some matches to Serris when the provider gets them uploaded.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
Ack, sorry guys, I know I told everyone that I'd post some of the pool matches when I was at NO KOAST, but I havent been able to get around to them. I have been trying to edit them at my best friends house on my computer, but about Tuesday he got in a serious accident, and it wasnt until Thursday night that he finally came to. I have been staying at a friends house who lives near the hospital he is in until he gets better.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know why Im being so slothful about getting them up, Im sure some of you would be interested in seeing how well I do in person at a tournament. Just to let people know before hand, I will also try putting up the incomplete ones (vids where the cam got only part of the match), but I wont post them here. I encourage people to watch at least the one with Samus dittos, Ill have more info on that when it is up.

Mr9

Smash Journeyman

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351

Xyro77

if you want yor vids on the hront page, PM serris. if you just wanna talk about your vids and not really want them on the front page......just post them here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom