• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching!!! - Young Link Returns. [Codeset + Voice Change Included!]

Zephron

Smash Ace
Sorry for being away.

And yeah, I'm coming up with ideas using PW's attack modifier.

So many possibilities..
If you guys really do want Young Link in Brawl, you guys'd better keep this page up. I had to find it on the third page. Bleah.

Feel free to post ideas on what to change on his moveset or any particular things you think he should have.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Well, that project is simply awesome. Young Link was my favourite character in Melee. If you guys can somewhat bring him back, it would be fantastic.

However, I wondered if it would be possible to give YL his own spot on the CSS instead of being a replacement for Link.
Also, would it ever be possible for the announcer to call his name at the CSS and at the results screen?

Thanks

Zephron

Smash Ace
Well, that project is simply awesome. Young Link was my favourite character in Melee. If you guys can somewhat bring him back, it would be fantastic.

However, I wondered if it would be possible to give YL his own spot on the CSS instead of being a replacement for Link.
Also, would it ever be possible for the announcer to call his name at the CSS and at the results screen?

Thanks

*Yes I will ask Jack to fix the links*

Thanks. Also, I don't think we can edit anything the announcer says yet. We can edit the victory music, and give Young Link his own portrait, but so far that's it. It's beyond current hacking ability to make a whole new character have it's own spot.

Pokemon trainer was only possible because they already existed. Young Link would have to be loaded off of Link, so there would essentially just be another Link spot. Pointless... for now. I'm confident we can get something like that going eventually.

Keep up the ideas and encouragement... but keep in mind that I will not double post to simply push this thread up. If it drops... I guess you guys just don't want it enough :p

BG3

Smash Journeyman
Hey Zephron, shouldn't it be possible to mimic Young Link's fire arrows in Melee now with Project SA?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I thought you couldn't edit projectiles in PSA? Anyways, if you can't, it should be possible with codes.

Zephron

Smash Ace
Hey Zephron, shouldn't it be possible to mimic Young Link's fire arrows in Melee now with Project SA?

Now that we can edit effects, I think we could make the bow look correct, (I've seen Tink's bow and hookshot changed so it seems possible) and with SA we can do almost anything! Maybe if we look at Mr. G&W's action files with SA, we could really make his arrows do 4 different things.

But if anything the fire arrows sound like something that can happen very easily.

I'm not too good at using SA ATM, though. Jack will make a guide soon though, I heard. I really hope he does.

Keep the ideas coming, guys!

How can we edit his zair, his uair his ____.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Ok so here are my ideas for modeling Young Link:
What Im thinking is that YL should be different from the other Links in that he shouldnt rely solely on camping and more on his speedy, comboing and gimping moveset. His proyectiles can also aid him in going aggro.

Weight: Around pikachu's weight.

Jab 1: comes out in frame 2. combos into jab 2 and jab 2 combos into jab 3. 8% damage total. Jab 3 pops the opponent up in the air to allow for follow ups. I was also thinking that we should give him his multi jabs back but dont know if its possible? Low cooldown.

Ftilt: comes out in frame 6. Sends at a horizontal angle making it useful for edgeguarding. Should kill at around 150 at the middle of FD. Moderate cooldown. 10% damage.

Dtilt: comes out in frame 4. Spikes airborne opponents ala melee and pops them up if theyre grounded allowing followups. Moderate cooldown. 8% damage.

Utilt: comes out in frame 5. Very low knockback. Several of these can be stringed together at low percents. Sets up kill moves at high percents. 5% damage. Moderate cooldown.

Dsmash: comes out in frame 9. High knockback. 13% damage front hit, 10% damage back hit. Sends the opponent in an angle similar to zelda's dsmash. Moderate cooldown.

Usmash: first hit comes out in frame 4. Other hits need to be altered to hit faster too so that it isnt easily escapable. Very low knockback. Sets up for an upair, nair, etc depending on DI. Low cooldown. Does a total of 15% damage when all three hits connect.

Fsmash: no idea. Maybe u can come up with something to luigify him here zephron.

Nair: Comes out in frame 4 ala melee. Sex kick properties. Strong hit lasts for 4 frames (frame 4-8) and does 12% damage. Weak hit lasts for the rest of the duration of the move and does 6% damage. Strong hit has good knockback killing at around 150% in the middle of FD with DI. Needs more range too. Young Link's bread and butter is back?

Bair: first hit comes out in frame 6. First hit does 3% damage and combos into the second hit which does 5% damage. Sends at a downward angle setting the opp up for tech chases. Can also be used for edgeguarding.

Fair: First hit comes out in frame 6. First hit has the most knockback and does 11% damage. Second hit is very weak, has a downward trayectory and does 5% damage.

Dair: Hilt hitbox is a flaming spike again. Comes out in frame 10. Sword hitbox Kills at around 130% with DI and does 17% damage.

Upair: Comes out in frame 5. Does 15% damage. Can kill at around 160% with DI. Can combo at mid percents if platforms are present.

Dash Attack: Comes out in frame 7. 10% damage. Horizontal knockback. Can kill/gimp at 120-130% on the edge of FD with no DI.

Grab comes out in frame 8. Cooldown: 20 frames (standing), 22 frames (running) and 26 frames (pivot)

Biggest luigifier. The links have always had a bad grab game. How about we make his grab game compliment his aggro/comboing game?

Dthrow: 5% damage. Low knockback. Combos into utilt/usmash at low percents. Combos into nair at mid percents and combos into upair at high percents. Can tech chase fast fallers.

Uthrow: 9% damage. Moderate knockback. Sends them higher than dthrow. May allow you to pull an upair off at mid percents which can combo into another aerial if there are platforms present.

Fthrow: 8% damage. High knockback. Horizontal trayectory. Good for setting up gimps/edgeguards.

Bthrow: 6% damage. Low knockback. Good for setting up back air.

Down B: bombs. Multi hit. First hit does 5% damage. With 4 other hits each doing 1% which can lead to a total of 9 damage. Low knockback. Combos into nair/fair.

Side B: Boomerang. Sweetspot hit does 18% damage. Long range hit does 5% damage. Returning boomerang does 2% damage. Can be angled in a lot of very steep directions like in melee.

Neutral B: Bow and Arrows. Fire arrows. Uncharged does 8% damage and has moderate hitstun allowing for follow ups. Charged does 16% damage. They go at a steeper angle.

Aerial UpB: Goes higher than Link's and more horizontal than Link's. Doesnt go higher than Toon Link's. All hits: 10% damage. Horizontal knockback. Can be used for gimping.

Grounded UpB: All hits: total 10% damage. Coems out in frame 10. Last hit spikes setting up for tech chases. Low cooldown.

Zair: nerfed to a point where he cant even space with it and his aerial upB is a better recovery.

Gravity: Whatever gravity value he has in melee.

SH Height: Whatever SH Height he has in melee XD.

His running speed should obviously be a lot faster.

He should be a little floatier.

He should have a lot more momentum when jumping out of a dash.

Increase his pummel speed and make each pummel do 1%.

His double jump goes higher than Link's.

So basically, I want him to play similar to melee ( isnt the point returning YL?) luigifying him a little (make him the fastest/comboey Link and having a better grab game). He has combos, a grab game, a decent recovery, gimping, a broken nair and proyectiles. What he doesnt have (weaknesses): Lack of killing power, range, dies early thanks to his feather weight and a zair. Those are my ideas. I hope u consider some zephron ^_^.

Long live YL.

Also, change his sword sound effect to have a more "hmmpph" to it.

Zephron

Smash Ace
Consider some of them? Heck, this is a perfect guide for me when I'm figuring out SA.
This is perfect!

Besides some minor % changes for some of his moves (18% sweetspot boomerang? A little too much!) and some other things, this is going to be great.

Also, Young Link's grab game should be good, but his grab should be a little faster with a little less cooldown if he is expected to make good enough use of it. Though... we'll see.

It'll be hard making SH and gravity exactly like Melee :p
But I'll try my best n' stuff.

As for his Fsmash.. let's see.

Link's first hit of Fsmash has tons of knockback, and decent damage. Does not combo into 2nd hit.

Toon Link's first hit has extremely little knockback, and decent damage, and comboes into the second hit... usually.

We can either do a compromise or do something completely different. Which might be hard because It's just a side smash. Perhaps low damage first hit comboes into second with big knockback and most of the damage. Maybe 9-15 or 18% no charge to fully charged.

Thank you for your great contribution.

LONG LIVE YL!

BG3

Smash Journeyman
Is there any chance that YL's sword swings will sound any different than Regular Links? They are currently doing this with Roy, so it should be possible with YL aswell right?

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Btw I gotta ask. Is this YL going to be for brawl+, balanced brawl or vbrawl? Because I dont think that moveset would work well if theres little hitstun. :/ Oh and also, I too want his sword sound effect changed. And can the razor blade be retextured to resemble the glided sword instead? :p

Zephron

Smash Ace
Btw I gotta ask. Is this YL going to be for brawl+, balanced brawl or vbrawl? Because I dont think that moveset would work well if theres little hitstun. :/ Oh and also, I too want his sword sound effect changed. And can the razor blade be retextured to resemble the glided sword instead? :p

I have no clue how to do the sounds effects on the sword, someone is going to have to do it for me / teach me. Preferably do it for me because I have enough to do right now.

And I just liked the razor sword better because it looks cooler and it's in all the concept art. Seriously. But yeah, I suppose I could edit the texture again...

Later mebbe though.

DMN

Smash Cadet
Does anyone have the GCT file,i cant do it on Ocarina Code Manager cause it over loaded and wont play any character mods.I can only Download them T-T

Zephron

Smash Ace
Doing great. Jack and I are going to work on it together.

I also hear PW is going to re-release PSA with a better interface. Can't wait for that.

Also @ DMN

Do you have the latest version of Gecko? You can't overload the codes with that one.
If not.. I thought the GCT file was on the first page. O_o

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
@Zephron
Hey I'm working on a PSA for young link too! except it'll be on tlink since I made a model for him. But maybe we can share ideas? Like when it's done we can put em' in the same thread. Chances are yours'll be much better since I'm new at this... but... just a proposition ^_^"

BG3

Smash Journeyman
Did Young Link even have the hookshot in OoT? If he didn't, then we can make him have no zair but with a faster, less laggy grab game with more follow-ups.

Zephron

Smash Ace
Did Young Link even have the hookshot in OoT? If he didn't, then we can make him have no zair but with a faster, less laggy grab game with more follow-ups.
@BG3 You can't remove a grab or a zair, or change how his hookshot works atm. Also TLMSheikant already suggested a good grab game, which I agree with,

@Oni K4GE

You mean you're going to make a custom model with 3Ds Max or something, or you used proportion modifiers to kinda make TL look like YL?

But yeah this thread needs some life. You can post your ideas here, though I personally want to make YL almost exactly as TLMSheikant suggested, with some % changes, and some other minor things.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I think I overdid the proyectile stuff in my post XD. They have way too little damage output. His damaging camping game was his good stuff in melee. How about bombs do 13% total if all hits connect? Boomer long range does 8%. Arrows are fine at 8%.

Zephron

Smash Ace
I think I overdid the proyectile stuff in my post XD. They have way too little damage output. His damaging camping game was his good stuff in melee. How about bombs do 13% total if all hits connect? Boomer long range does 8%. Arrows are fine at 8%.

Yeah I was thinking stuff like that. I'd also change a couple of his aerials.

Sounds good.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
The arrow things should REALLY be completely the other way around. lol Normal should be 5, Fire 15, Ice 30, and Light 50, stick to the game and how hard each arrow was to get and how powerful they were. :p That's just imo.

Zephron

Smash Ace
True but then you have to worry about balancing issues and then make the Light arrow (supposed to be the most powerful) average or weak since it is the most common.

I will probably make Normal the most common but I will re-adjust the percents.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord

You mean you're going to make a custom model with 3Ds Max or something, or you used proportion modifiers to kinda make TL look like YL?

But yeah this thread needs some life. You can post your ideas here, though I personally want to make YL almost exactly as TLMSheikant suggested, with some % changes, and some other minor things.
Lol no I can't even download 3DS Max XD I made a Young Toon Link with the traditional model hacking way thus far,the PSM Code. So is this gonna be Melee Young Link, or more balanced Brawlified Young Link? Or is he going to be based off Majora/Ocarina?

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I prefer Melee YL but a little new stuff. Definetely his arrows shouldnt be touched with. Should always be fire arrows. I already hate random outcomes enough. :mad:
things he should keep at all costs:
Fair
Nair
Bair
Usmash
Dsmash (melee)
Upair (melee) frame 5
Down air flame spike
Down tilt spike
Multi hit bombs
Fire arrows
Super damaging close range boomerang
Multi hit upB
Mediocre Fsmash

Of course with some frame adjustments to make him a little better in some of those moves. But definetely NOT random outcome arrows. I hate random outcomes. :mad:
Also, I was thinking about something flashy and new: jab 3 has IASA frames that combo directly into uptilt but only works if jab 3 hits and only interruptable by utilt. Imagine pulling jab jab jab utilt upair. Would look sexy as hell XD. Though it could be broken if jab and utilt do too much damage. Plus the third jab animation wouldnt look bad going into an utilt since it would be a stab (jab 3) leading into a upward arc sword swipe (utilt).

Zephron

Smash Ace
I prefer Melee YL but a little new stuff. Definetely his arrows shouldnt be touched with. Should always be fire arrows. I already hate random outcomes enough. :mad:
things he should keep at all costs:
Fair
Nair
Bair
Usmash
Dsmash (melee)
Upair (melee) frame 5
Down air flame spike
Down tilt spike
Multi hit bombs
Fire arrows
Super damaging close range boomerang
Multi hit upB
Mediocre Fsmash

Of course with some frame adjustments to make him a little better in some of those moves. But definetely NOT random outcome arrows. I hate random outcomes. :mad:
Also, I was thinking about something flashy and new: jab 3 has IASA frames that combo directly into uptilt but only works if jab 3 hits and only interruptable by utilt. Imagine pulling jab jab jab utilt upair. Would look sexy as hell XD. Though it could be broken if jab and utilt do too much damage. Plus the third jab animation wouldnt look bad going into an utilt since it would be a stab (jab 3) leading into a upward arc sword swipe (utilt).

You realize that's everything except for utilt and ftilt, and grabs =__=

Personally I want randomized arrows. It'd make him more unique from TL and Link.

I want this guy to stand out.. if he has all the same moves but with different properties not many will be interested. He has to have a couple cool new moves. That's why I find randomized arrows to be a fun prospect.

@ Oni K4ge

Kinda what TLMSheikant said.

We're going to keep his core moves that made him good and fun to play as in melee, then we're going to add a couple new things to make him stand out and be fresh.

So in a way it's both.
And if you paid attention to my textures you'd realize it is from Majora's Mask. Razor sword + Majora's Shield.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
@ Oni K4ge

Kinda what TLMSheikant said.

We're going to keep his core moves that made him good and fun to play as in melee, then we're going to add a couple new things to make him stand out and be fresh.

So in a way it's both.
And if you paid attention to my textures you'd realize it is from Majora's Mask. Razor sword + Majora's Shield.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree with randomized arrows, though I can't figure how to do it. On my Young Toon Link, I've conpleteed the attributes page. I decided to leave the fact that he cant kick as is, for it distincts him from Melee YL. The fire arrows look amazing! And I finally figured out how to make the actual hit fire. I just gotta mess with it. So this sounds pretty solid, though youre model is definately superior XD mine looks like a "teenage frankenstein" young link lol. And, right, Majora's Mask- this makes it even beter. Oni Link FS anyone? Or since thats kinda, y'know, impossible, a clean swipe with the double helix sword perhaps? either way, this is gold!

-er, speaking of gold, will this make it into B+ Gold? Or is it vBrawl?

Zephron

Smash Ace
Thanks for bumping.

I tried once again to make the PSA on my own, but I think my expertise involves textures and models. This other stuff is just infuriating.

Being a proud member of Kitty Corp: Meow Mix, I think I can ask one of my teammates to make this for me.

Most of them are busy so I'm pretty much just waiting for them to do this for me.
I'm trying to stress it's importance.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Thanks for bumping.

I tried once again to make the PSA on my own, but I think my expertise involves textures and models. This other stuff is just infuriating.

Being a proud member of Kitty Corp: Meow Mix, I think I can ask one of my teammates to make this for me.

Most of them are busy so I'm pretty much just waiting for them to do this for me.
I'm trying to stress it's importance.
well, im working on a doc and young link right now, with the YL being on TL, but I can probably put in fire arrows once I figure out how to edit the collision of arrows... which I dont think is possible yet. but I can give it a nice fire arrow charging animation :3

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
young link would fit much better on regular Link. >.>

and oni kage, why in the world are you making your own when there are already projects for them? It's a moot point.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
The people in the Pichu thread came up with a pac file which shrinked Pikachu to Pichu size.
would it be possible to implement something like this for Link, it would eliminate the need for the codes and it would be easier to switch from Link to YLink using the "clone engine".

And btw, how is the project going? Is there any progress? I was a YLink main in Melee and I really want to play as him again.

This thread needs a bump, Young Link must be revived!!

Top Bottom