• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
"Like all good things, we must come to an end.
Please show the same respect to my friends.
Dear summer."

Seriously though, I liked this thread... or at least the OP. I hope that the roar from the crowd lets Ankoku know that the community appreciated this thread and he decides to slowly but surely restart it.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Why hasn't this thread been closed yet? SamuraiPanda....you have a job to do =P.. *runs before Panda backs slap me for telling him how to do his job.....then remembers Penguins and Panda's get along really well and stops running*
I have my reasons for doing things. And yeah, I'd prefer you don't tell me what to do. If something needs locking, it gets locked.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
To Fatmanonice (the entire post, and you are henceforth referred to as F):

If people are legitimately concerned about the future of this project, they should be relieved to know that Ankoku is not abandoning it; unless he has changed his decision again, he is going to maintain the list privately.

You nor Ankoku nor anyone else here should make it appear as if Ankoku was victimized. I said that his list has done damage, yes I will not deny that or pretend that I said it any more sweetly than I actually did. However, I did not blame HIM for it, I never said "Ankoku, your efforts have caused harm to that which you love". He did not tell anyone how to interpret the numbers, he did not claim that if MK had twice as many points as the 2nd highest character, that he was a banworthy character, he did not do anything wrong by keeping his list here and maintaining it. He took my words really personally for some reason and misunderstood my point entirely.

I've said this many times already, F, but I'll say it to you specifically. I gave Ankoku props in the SBR for starting this list when it began, I have been very vocal and supportive of this list in the past, and my opinion that MK's very high placing has been used as supporting data by most people on SWF that MK is broken and should be banned has nothing to do with my appreciation for the effort Ankoku put into maintaining the list and making his calculations as accurate as possible. I personally don't think it should be weighted to the degree it is, but that's a minor issue that doesn't affect much of the actual placings.

I did not place blame on Ankoku. Perhaps I did not sugarcoat my opinion by adding "although your list is wonderful and i deeply appreciate its existence", but that doesn't mean that I blamed him for the misinterpretations of the community members nor does it change the fact that I always have supported the continuance of the list.

Adolescent? I'm a month away from being 22 years old, already have someone who I would have taken to homecoming a) if I were in high school still or b) if I ever gave a **** about something as meaningless as homecoming, and I wasn't angry and my post did not reflect any amount of furor, and if you were able to see the context of the discussion in which I made the statement you would know this. I am not trying to put Ankoku in any bad light or disrespect him in any way, but from my point of view he overreacted. I think Ankoku is too sensitive for someone his age and this incident is not the only thing that makes me believe this, so my opinion that he overreacted has precedent.

F said:
still say this was an incredibly boneheaded thing to demand that this thread closed. So, I guess we'll have to wait until most tournaments consist of Metaknight in the top eight for the "higher ups" to actually admit there's a problem and support some form of regulation to help knock him down a peg in the standings...
After reading that I was the only one in the SBR to speak of Ankoku's list in any fashion, after reading that I never asked for Ankoku to take down the list, and after reading that I said there was no point to removing the list at all, yes you should have known better and your response was not justified. Not at all.

And do I care? Yeah, I'd like the list back up. But I'm not about to pressure Ankoku to do it when he clearly doesn't want to for whatever reason that he won't publicize, so if he wants to give the project to someone else I would be glad, but it's not my place to revive the list and I'm not gonna try.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To Fatmanonice (the entire post, and you are henceforth referred to as F):

If people are legitimately concerned about the future of this project, they should be relieved to know that Ankoku is not abandoning it; unless he has changed his decision again, he is going to maintain the list privately.

But not publicly... you have to send him a PM in order to get the results which is ******** especially if you're someone like me who used to check it on a daily basis or someone who doesn't have an account. (Smashers outside of Smash Boards? Dear God!)

You nor Ankoku nor anyone else here should make it appear as if Ankoku was victimized. I said that his list has done damage, yes I will not deny that or pretend that I said it any more sweetly than I actually did. However, I did not blame HIM for it, I never said "Ankoku, your efforts have caused harm to that which you love". He did not tell anyone how to interpret the numbers, he did not claim that if MK had twice as many points as the 2nd highest character, that he was a banworthy character, he did not do anything wrong by keeping his list here and maintaining it. He took my words really personally for some reason and misunderstood my point entirely.

Again with the "LOL WUT?" response... You basically accused him of all the spam regarding Metaknight/Snake being top tier since the game was released and how Metaknight is starting to run away with tournaments because many people have adapted a "Metaknight=insta-win" mentality. That's a pretty big accusation, don't you think or have we completely abandoned such action in this discussion?

I've said this many times already, F, but I'll say it to you specifically. I gave Ankoku props in the SBR for starting this list when it began, I have been very vocal and supportive of this list in the past, and my opinion that MK's very high placing has been used as supporting data by most people on SWF that MK is broken and should be banned has nothing to do with my appreciation for the effort Ankoku put into maintaining the list and making his calculations as accurate as possible. I personally don't think it should be weighted to the degree it is, but that's a minor issue that doesn't affect much of the actual placings.

And this is his fault because...? He's just reporting tournament results; he has no control over what other people say. People are still going to know that Metaknight is freakishly good whether this thread exists or not. All the character boards back this up too so this is by no means the only source of this.

I did not place blame on Ankoku. Perhaps I did not sugarcoat my opinion by adding "although your list is wonderful and i deeply appreciate its existence", but that doesn't mean that I blamed him for the misinterpretations of the community members nor does it change the fact that I always have supported the continuance of the list.

Then why tell him that his personal project was hurting the community? Have you gotten on anyone else for this?

Adolescent? I'm a month away from being 22 years old, already have someone who I would have taken to homecoming a) if I were in high school still or b) if I ever gave a **** about something as meaningless as homecoming, and I wasn't angry and my post did not reflect any amount of furor, and if you were able to see the context of the discussion in which I made the statement you would know this. I am not trying to put Ankoku in any bad light or disrespect him in any way, but from my point of view he overreacted. I think Ankoku is too sensitive for someone his age and this incident is not the only thing that makes me believe this, so my opinion that he overreacted has precedent.

You weren't angry when you basically told me I was ********? That's rich... I could kick you in the nuts and buy you a milkshake afterwords but would the initial reaction be justified? Like I said, after what you said and what you accused him of, I think he has the right to be upset. The problem here is that you can't seem to understand how he might feel about this situation: you're thinking entirely about yourself. What do you care; it's not your project but that's not the right additude to have going into this.

After reading that I was the only one in the SBR to speak of Ankoku's list in any fashion, after reading that I never asked for Ankoku to take down the list, and after reading that I said there was no point to removing the list at all, yes you should have known better and your response was not justified. Not at all.

Let's bring up a situation I once had to deal with: Let's pretend you are part of a church; one day, the youth pastor comes up to you and tells you that it's your fault that attendance is down because you "scare" people away because you wear a trench coat. Is it fair to accuse one person of being a source for something wrong (in this case, Metaknight doing freakishly good in tournaments)? Obviously, no, it's not. It's not the person fault for how other people interpret the situation and it's not realistic to pinpoint them as a main source unless it's commonly agreed that it is the main source. (Like I said, the character boards have agreed that Metaknight is best character for months.)

And do I care? Yeah, I'd like the list back up. But I'm not about to pressure Ankoku to do it when he clearly doesn't want to for whatever reason that he won't publicize, so if he wants to give the project to someone else I would be glad, but it's not my place to revive the list and I'm not gonna try.
"For whatever reason..." As if you don't know... Again, you the dreaded "LOL WUT?" syndrome... Regarding, Anokoku's "maturity", I'd say it's pretty stable regarding all I said earlier about all the data involved, how often he updated it, and how long he did it for.

All responses in red.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
You seem to be cherrypicking my posts and not really reading everything because if you weren't, you wouldn't have said half of what you typed in red.

If you want to make yourself any clearer to me then you can do this in a PM or AIM or something, because frankly I shouldn't be arguing with you about this in this thread.

But you're ignoring half of what I say, just to let you know.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Then why not address them specifically? What you have pretty much said is "I'll only continue this discussion if you criticize and decontruct your own arguements then send them to me to see if I approve..." To quote the famous abstract painter Salavador Dali, "...What?" Last time I checked, that's not how debates work... Also, I'm not new to online debates; saying "let's do this through PM/IMs" is the equivalent of "I'm sick of talking to you, let's just drop it" because taking a debate out of a thread is like taking a fish out of water and becomes tiresome to both parties much faster to where it just de-evolves into a "NO U" arguement.

Kirio

Smash Apprentice
*read's first post and replies*

This needs to be brought back. If it 'hurt the community' then that's a pretty sad community, I'm sure we will manage with it being here.

Please bring back ASAP

kyari vs fatman

whats the matchup on this u guys?

what do u consider it? 60:40? 50:50??
65:35 Kyari. fatmanonice is so underused that he has no metagame :/

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Who said I desired to engage in debate with you? Don't flatter yourself.

For the record:

Every time you say I accused Ankoku of something, or said that anything was his fault at all, you're either purposely lying to make me look bad or you are displaying your own ineptitude with respect to reading comprehension.

And I don't want to do it here for two reasons:

1) It's un-necessary drama in a thread that needs to either die or resume normal activities once Ankoku revives his list.

2) You're ignoring a lot of **** that I say.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
kyari vs fatman

whats the matchup on this u guys?

what do u consider it? 60:40? 50:50??
It really depends on how much he uses the Cape of Apathy where everything I say is completely ignored. I could use the technique of hiding Rick Roll links in my posts to keep him distracted but it's been banned by Smash Board standards. :psycho:

Who said I desired to engage in debate with you? Don't flatter yourself.

This is a debate between two video game nerds at 2 in morning on a forum that basically dedicated to a video game about fighting cartoon characters; are you honestly going to throw the "I'm better than you" card at me? You're a member of the backroom, awesome, but how much do you think that really matters in the real world? If you build a sense of superiority off of that then I truely feel sorry for you. Also, my sig is better than yours and I have a higher post count so therefore what I say is of more importance. :psycho:

For the record:

Every time you say I accused Ankoku of something, or said that anything was his fault at all, you're either purposely lying to make me look bad or you are displaying your own ineptitude with respect to reading comprehension.

Because, you know, I have so much to gain from making you look bad... I'm telling it like it is. You told him what he was doing was hurting the community based on what has already been said many times before. The keyword is "hurt". I think we both have a clear understanding of what this word means. There's a giant difference between the words "hurt" and "help" and this is multiplied by a project this size. Let's look at it like this: suppose you build a building and it takes several years to make. People love it but then someone of high power comes along and suggests that it ruins the skyline of the city. The builder, heavily distract by the comments of this offical, then decides to condemn it until further notice and considers demolishing it. Is that fair? Keep in mind that although you did not directly accuse him of the things I mentioned, you heavily insinuated that he did. It's a braching sort of thing that, like I said, is multiplied by the size of the project and the impact it has had on the Smash Community.

And I don't want to do it here for two reasons:

1) It's un-necessary drama in a thread that needs to either die or resume normal activities once Ankoku revives his list.

If you haven't noticed; I'm fighting for the latter.

2) You're ignoring a lot of **** that I say.
At least we both agree on what the content of what you're saying is. :psycho: In all seriousness, wouldn't you just be saying the same things if we just moved it to IM/PMs? I have a rule of thumb when it comes to these things; I don't carry them on for longer than three days and I know that's exactly what would happen here because, due to your rank, you'll do you best not to lose any face from this incident.

@ memphischains:

No thanks, "dude." If you want to contribute, say something that's worthwhile instead of trying to make this thread into a circle jerk, thanks...

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
I never said maintaining a character rankings list was hurting the community. The community is hurting the community, and they're using the character rankings to do it. Ankoku is innocent. Stop ignoring/****ing with what I say.

EDIT: And no, it's not the fact that I'm in the SBR that makes me not want to "debate" with you, it's the fact that you approached this whole thing the wrong way and are being a ******** douche.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I never said maintaining a character rankings list was hurting the community. The community is hurting the community, and they're using the character rankings to do it. Ankoku is innocent. Stop ignoring/****ing with what I say.

So you address one person instead of the board who is perpetuating the idea? Huh... Interesting logic you got there.

EDIT: And no, it's not the fact that I'm in the SBR that makes me not want to "debate" with you, it's the fact that you approached this whole thing the wrong way and are being a ******** douche.
I'm a douche? Because I was the one that caused this thread to come to screeching halt based on my opinion against those of the majority of the community, right? Also, what happened to you using the Shakespearean Insult Generator to make your retorts? :laugh:

Add in: Also, if I'm a "douche" because of my sarcasm then so be it. I'm more or less making fun of you for talking as if you're "above" me and throwing around your pseudo intellect as if there's judges watching or something. (I don't know, it's your fantasy; you tell me.)

i have said something, plenty of things

so stfu.

it's ankoku's choice
Obviously but he should be convinced that it's completely okay to bring it back if he wants to instead of feeling like he'll get stuck with "lingering shadows" from the past if he does. At the moment, I'm getting a vibe from Kyari (or should I say Special K because he decided to strip me of my name in order to show how he sees me as subhuman but I don't need to stoop to that level... yet) that "oh, you can bring the project back... but you'll still be hurting the community in the process."

Kennahh

Smash Apprentice
Confirmed, sending Magikarp. (Killingworth, CT)
How ****ing Dare Anyone Out There Make Fun Of Ankoku After All He Has Been Through!

He Lost His Aunt! He Went Through A Divorce! He Has Two ****ing Kids!
His Wife Turned Out To Be Be A User, A Cheater! And Now He's Going Through A Custody Battle
!
All You People Care About Is...readers And Making Money Off Of Him!
He's A Human! What You Don't Realize Is That Ankoku Is Making You All This Money And All You Do Is Write A Bunch Of Crap About Him!

He Hasn't Performed On Stage In Years! His Thread Is Called "character Rankings List" For A Reason! Because All You People Want Is Rankings Rankings Rankings Rankings Rankings!

Leave Him Alone! You Are Lucky He Even Did This For You *******s!
Leaaaaveee Annkkkoookuuuu Alllloonnnee!!! Please...

Perez Hilton Talked About Professionalism And Said If Ankoku Was A Professional He Would've Pulled It Off No Matter What!
Speaking Of Professionalism, When Is It Professional To Publicly Bash Someone Who Is Going Through A Hard Hime!

Leave Ankoku Alone Please...leave Ankoku Alone Right Now...i Mean It...
Anyone That Has A Problem With Him You Deal With Me, Because He Is Not Well Right Now.

Leave Him Alone.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
*insert internet meme here*
Yes, yes; I get the reference but no one's making fun of him; it's that he has stopped the project of this thread after months of work based on things that ONE high ranking person said. Thank God it wasn't someone like Yuna or this situation would be a lot worse. (although I do see some similarities between the two...)

Add in:

*reads Anokou's sig* 40.69% of all the points (his wins are probably 70-80%)? Is this reeeeeeeally something we want to ignore? We need this thread to inspire people to take Metaknight down a notch, honestly...

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
What kind of similarities?

Also you're a troll, I've known that ever since day 1 when you were trolling on the SWF IRC chatroom, so I'm not going to debate with trolls.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What kind of similarities?

Also you're a troll, I've known that ever since day 1 when you were trolling on the SWF IRC chatroom, so I'm not going to debate with trolls.

I'm a troll? I've been here for more than 2 years, have worked with dozens of people to help them improve online via the Friend Finder and even have done one on one sessions as long as three hours to teach people ATs and throughly learn their characters (I main the whole cast), have been here on an almost daily basis since last May, frequent all the character boards, was one of the people who tested Metaknight's IDC to test it's effectiveness not only in certain matchups but certain stages too, and am in the process of hosting my third 64 man tournament and you're calling me a troll? Do you want me to post my log record? I've recieved two minor infractions since coming here and it was in the offical Geno thread for talking about another character (Professor Kawashima from Brain Age) despite Gimpyfish's warning to stay on topic and one in the Ike boards for responding to a thread complaining about Ike being "broken" by posting a picture of Squidward with the caption "we are not assumed" by Mic_128.

Also, I don't think I've ever even used the SWF chatroom unless you're talking about the Friend Finder. If you're going to drop out then so be it but don't try to drag my reputation through the mud because you can't compose yourself.

Add in:

Now that I think about, what's all this "Day One?" crap, this is the first time we've ever butted skulls with each other. Unless you really are Yuna in disguise, then you're lying through your teeth because he's the only high ranking person I argued with a lot in the past. I've sent PMs to Gimpyfish and Samuraipanda in the past and have talked back and forth with them, Overswarm has entered (and dropped out) of two of my tournaments, I've run into Hylian a few times (he was another person who offered input on the IDC when it was first discovered), and I'm fairly close with most of the online tournament directors as well as part of their social group. Just what exactly are you trying to do?

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Hmm maybe i'm mistaking you for somebody else, but LOL, you main the whole cast what a joke, you can't be serious.

I'm not going to criticize your qualifications or anything but please, it's so obvious that you're trolling me right now. You're not going to win anything by arguing with me about **** that I didn't do.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hmm maybe i'm mistaking you for somebody else, but LOL, you main the whole cast what a joke, you can't be serious.

I'm not going to criticize your qualifications or anything but please, it's so obvious that you're trolling me right now. You're not going to win anything by arguing with me about **** that I didn't do.
Something wrong? Ninjalink does the same thing; we use characters based on who we feel like playing as. I'm very familar with most of the cast (like I said, I frequent all the character boards to try to stay up to date) and would say that I'm "competively competent" with most except for a few like Ganondorf and Snake (yeah, I know, it's weird but I just don't like playing as him in general). During the summer, I played an average of 6-7 hours a day so I became very familar with most of the cast very quickly. I never claimed I've mastered (it's an incredibly strong word anyways and a vast majority of people don't ever "master" their characters) any of them if that's what you're thinking. For example, there are a few characters that I've become good with in the past month thanks to tournament experience like Lucario and Sonic.

Also, he even said that you did what I said you did... Do I really need to necro-bump some of his quotes from like 10 pages back? If I were trolling, I'd be arguing with you just to piss you off but I really do have an issue with the project no longer being public and possibly suspended because of what you said.

*looks at the clock*

5 in the morning? My God, we really are video game nerds aren't we? :laugh:

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Well I wish Ankoku hadn't taken down the list but like I said I didn't ask for him to do it and it's not my fault. That's the very last thing I'm gonna say about it.

And yeah I thought you meant you would literally throw down any one of the 39 characters in tournament or whatever, if so that's a pathetic joke and you're terrible but I know what you mean about wanting to be "competent" with the entire cast so you know how their playstyle works in general and such that's honestly the best way to play the game. The only three characters that I don't have a handle on are MK/Snake because I refuse to get good with them (I just really suck with Snake anyway) and Wario because I refuse to ever use him (I've honestly never performed any other action with Wario other than run, jump, and taunt lol).

And yeah, I guess we're videogame nerds, not like it matters though.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Well I wish Ankoku hadn't taken down the list but like I said I didn't ask for him to do it and it's not my fault. That's the very last thing I'm gonna say about it.
I can accept the first half, that you wish he hadn't and you didn't ask him to.

Buuuut, from what I am reading (and let's remember I am not all-knowing), Ankoku stated it was 1 persons comment who brought it down. You have since admitted it was your comment... so....... how does that lead to it not being your fault?

That's the very last thing I'm gonna say about it.
Sweet, I auto-win this mini-argument...(dont make yourself a liar :p)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Fatman, I think it's pretty fair to say that you're just being a douche now. From what I can tell, the discussion is over. Kyari has explained himself, and there's really no one to blame for this. If Ankoku is willing to put the post back up in the OP, then I believe he should, by all means. If he isn't, then that's really unfortunate, but it's his decision.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ok please stop arguing. As amusing as it is seeing people on both sides of this speaking on my behalf, I'd rather not escalate conflict. Yeah, maybe I did take it down because of what Kyari said, but keeping it down was my choice.

So.... stop fighting.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
i think its good to take the list down. it kinda lets us Reset now that a sort of "anti MK" meta game will be setting in. you'll have people out to prove he's broken and use him for that reason, and people out to prove he's not all that using other characters and strats they didn't use before.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatman, I think it's pretty fair to say that you're just being a douche now. From what I can tell, the discussion is over. Kyari has explained himself, and there's really no one to blame for this. If Ankoku is willing to put the post back up in the OP, then I believe he should, by all means. If he isn't, then that's really unfortunate, but it's his decision.
As I said before, I know it's his decision but he shouldn't feel guilty about bringing it back. Also, the only reason I look like a "douche" is because the discussion pretty much went from "you're an empty headed ******" to "you know nothing about the situation" to "Okay, maybe you do but I don't approve the way you're debating with me" to "I don't know how to respond to you so I'm just going to call you a troll." It's kind of like a boxing match where one of the boxers just stops fighting but doesn't throw in the towel; the other guy is going to look like a prick due to the inactivity overall.

Ok please stop arguing. As amusing as it is seeing people on both sides of this speaking on my behalf, I'd rather not escalate conflict. Yeah, maybe I did take it down because of what Kyari said, but keeping it down was my choice.

So.... stop fighting.
With this being said, I'm done because it was essentially the backbone of my arguement last night.

Matt07

Smash Master
Fatmanonice, come back to the Mario boards we miss your input :(.

Also, glad to see Ankoku decided to put the place back up (On November 1st, I know.) It's been amazing what you've been doing with the list.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I take that as confirmation for closing a thread.

*uses Penguin powers to send a message to SamuraiPanda telepathically....and with cool special effects and stuff like exploisions and motion blur, that this thread should be closed*

Oh wait it's coming back....

WOOOO YA WOOO AWESOME SAUCE...

But I iz sad because my awesome telepathic message with special effects is worthless >.>

I await to see how well Yoshi is doing.

Charoo

Smash Champion
Compton Surprise: A Brawl Tourney
Date: 10-4-08
Entry Fee: $6
Entrants: 40
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=2411
southern California

1: Edrees/Tecca Rina (Falcon/Sheik/Fox)
2: JonT (dedede)
3: Stepping it up for hugs (Meta Knight / falco)
4: Ajax (Snake)
5: Tyrant (Snake)
5: Jmex (Donkey Kong)
7: Unknownforce (Metaknight)
7: Bigfoot (Donkey Kong)

i'm tecca rina btw. Don't ask me why that was my name.

Palmdale Biweeklies 2
Oct 4
$6
~44 entrants
http://www.allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=2919

1. Lee Puff - Game and Watch
2. Teba - Shiek/DeDeDe/DK
3. Futile - Wario
4. Shadow - ROB
5. BoA - Marth/MK
5. Creepy Fingers - Falco
7. Gutz - Snake
7. Camaman - Diddy/Wolf/Marth

Browny

Smash Hater

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
hey, whats going on in this thread?

OH MY GOD, FLAMES EVERYWHERE. KIDS, GET OUT OF THE HOUSE. CLIMB OUT THE WINDOW OR SOME ****.

Ankoku, i love youuuu~ <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom