• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List *UPDATED 6/29/10*

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
that doesn't make it dumb. this is a factual representation of who wins with who at tourneys. if sheik is lower than falcon, it's because falcons win in tourney more than sheiks.

or, silent spectre, hax, darkrain and scar **** up the results and make falcon seem better than he is :laugh:

but sheik players gotta step it up
Or Sheik is incredibly unpopular because she's "unfun" and "cheap" whereas Falcon is an incredibly popular character because he's "manly" and "cool"?

We do have to step it up though, one way or another...

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Hmm... I feel like that would corrupt the meaning of the results though? What if a strong player played against someone he knew he was certain to beat in the first round so he decided to go Pichu for fun? That wouldn't say anything about how tournament viable the character is. Maybe you should go with (a) a weighted average based on the proportion that player uses the characters or (b) for the sake of simplicity just pick the character he used in the furthest round of the tournament he advanced to? (If he used 2 characters in the final round give them equal weight. I.e., if their placing earned 4 pts, credit each character with 2 for the rankings)

Just a thought.
it wouldn't be much different than mango boosting falco and puff's points.... I agree with you though, i just can't think of a better rule. I figure if someone can actually get wins with a character that low that they are way better than the opponent, which means that the tournament probably has a low entree fee/entrant number so the number of points would be minimal.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Sheik is pretty fun to play actually lol. Camp the ledge against falcon all dai everydai.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Or Sheik is incredibly unpopular because she's "unfun" and "cheap" whereas Falcon is an incredibly popular character because he's "manly" and "cool"?

We do have to step it up though, one way or another...
that sounds like the main bias here

this method heavily skews towards more popular characters

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
How old can the tournaments be?

Mass Maddness 16 http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=237703 <-- need characters and total entrants
1: Mango (Falco)
2: Sock Jm0n (Fox)
3: KDJ (Fox/Marth)
4: HBK (Marth)
5: Scarmander (Falcon)
5: G Drag0n (Jigglypuff) (Darc)
7: Ren0 (Sheik)
7: SwiftBass (Fox)

I'm pretty sure of most of these, the entrance fee was $10. Grand finals may not have been played out.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i'm accepting tournaments from march 09 until now. Right now i'm writing a program to keep track of the tournaments that are included in this list. Because of the nature of this list, there will come a time when the dates will have to change, and instead of doing all of the work over again for the tournaments within the acceptable dates, it would be a lot easier and efficient to be able to simply cross reference the dates. With that in mind, and SMYM this weekend, i'll probably throw out a semi-update today (with about 80% of the tournament data i've gotten since the first release) and then not release another until my program is completed.

Let It Riot

Smash Cadet
that sounds like the main bias here

this method heavily skews towards more popular characters
Isn't that the whole point of this list? It's to show which characters are placing well in tournaments the most frequently, so if there are more of a certain character then odds are it will place better. This isn't to show who the best character is, so I don't understand why people are complaining about flaws in the list, when there really aren't any flaws at all. People are just trying to broaden the intended scope of the list, which is an error on their part.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Stop disrespecting people vanitas. And this should not be stickied.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Why shouldn't it be stickied? The Character ranks for Brawl are, and this list has the same purpose and function as that one.

Let It Riot

Smash Cadet
Stop disrespecting people vanitas. And this should not be stickied.
If you make a statement you should generally back it up. If you just state something without any reasons, it just appears to be a response that has no basis besides your personal dislike for the thread. This thread compiles and displays the ranking of characters based solely off of tournament results. It shows how the game evolves as it only takes into account recent tournaments. Furthermore since it is based entirely off of empirical results, there can be no quarreling about rankings or complaints that the creators of the thread are biased.

Because of these reasons many people find the thread to be a nice page to check on from time to time, to see which characters are going up and down. It is a fairly good way of measuring the flow of the game over time. Now just because you find that this isn't something you care about ( I don't know why you wouldn't think this is interesting), doesn't mean that a lot of people wouldn't enjoy this being stickied so it is easy to access. I don't think any harm would come of this thread being stickied, so why should it bother people who don't pay any attention to this list?

Rappster

Smash Ace
Isn't that the whole point of this list? It's to show which characters are placing well in tournaments the most frequently, so if there are more of a certain character then odds are it will place better. This isn't to show who the best character is, so I don't understand why people are complaining about flaws in the list, when there really aren't any flaws at all. People are just trying to broaden the intended scope of the list, which is an error on their part.
wisdom from the mouth of (postcount) babes.
i wasn't this insightful at 11 posts. i'm still not insightful. maybe when i break 500 . . .

anyhow, can we change the title of this thread to "tournament results thread" or something similar to avoid confusion?

also, could we get a list of the top points contributor for each character?

otherwise, great work sveet

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm finishing up my program right now. Those features aren't available right now, but it wouldn't be too difficult to include them in a future version.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I think Scar, Hax, SS, and Darkrain should stop being so good. They're raising the expectations people have for falcon mains.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
WOW at Falcon somehow outgunning Marth, sheik and peach for the win.
Never thought I'd see the day.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
*sigh* every time somebody jokes like that ruby, It makes me sad, 'cause I wish people would hop off my nuts, they're suffocating.

Still <3 you though.
Fixed your post again. Stop being so modest. :3

WOW at Falcon somehow outgunning Marth, sheik and peach for the win.
Never thought I'd see the day.
With players as good as Reneblade, who's surprised? :3

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
yeah you're right ruby, people need to hurry up and advance the meta-game to my level. Its lonely up here.

On topic:

PPL saying fox is dying out. Notttttt, SMYM 11:
4 of the top 5 Fox, GG.
(Just one example, but I think my point is clear)

Top Bottom