• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters getting the axe

Muskratio

Smash Rookie
Pichu, obviously, as he's essentially just a bad version of Pikachu. I like Doc, but it's true that he's Mario-if-he'd-gone-to-college, so I'd say he's either got to go, or become a costume of Mario's. I personally love playing with Young Link, but he's really just a worse Link, so I'd ax him too. And... I dislike Roy. I think he serves to purpose to the game. He's a slower, harder-to-use version of Marth. Of the clones, Ganondorf is probably the most unique, even though I don't play with him and don't know anyone who plays with him. Falco is probably too popular to be kicked, though I really think they should modify him.
I don't see why everyone wants to see Game & Watch get kicked off! I think he's a really unique character, and that he makes the game interesting. Most of the games I enjoy are seriously old school, and it's nice to see homage paid to that.

Scuba Man Sam

Smash Cadet
To be honest I didn't like Mr. Game and Watch (I don't like joke characters)... clones need to be messed around with a bit or removed (Fox and Falco are too alike), Dr. Mario should probably just be an alternate costume for Mario (Like Peach's Daisy costume). Young Link needs to be replaced with Wind Waker Link (He's so chibi ^__^) and get a different move set.

I want you to bleed!!! :p Mr. Game & Watch is an amazing character.:psycho:

Scuba Man Sam

Smash Cadet
Why does everyone hate Doc, G&W, and Falco so much? I agree Pichu is horrible, but Doc is a pretty powerful character and his pill projectile is really unique. G&W is not a "joke" character, he has some really nasty aerials and can beat high tier characters. Also what the *** does "Luigify" mean and why would you want to disadvantage Falco? Fox already has certain advantages over Falco, so why make Falco slower/less traction (if thats what Luigify means)?

This Guy seems to be the only person with a brain around here.:chuckle: These explanations actually make sense. everyone elses suck.:psycho:

Scuba Man Sam

Smash Cadet
your username suits you perfectly

Remove: Pichu (he has very very few fans), Dr Mario (Too Similar to Mario), Roy (WAY too similar to Marth

Replace Young Link with WW link but keep the name young link and give him WW moves.

Luigify Falco, Give Ganondorf a sword, give Ness his former glory and yeah.

Am I the only person who knows that WW link would be just another Link clone because it's still link.:confused: don't respond with crap saying that he has different moves and stuff because the people on this site are predictable.:chuckle:

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Am I the only person who knows that WW link would be just another Link clone because it's still link.:confused: don't respond with crap saying that he has different moves and stuff because the people on this site are predictable.:chuckle:
You would be incorrect here. This has been discussed MANY, MANY times. The Link from WW is indeed a different person than the link from TP, MM, and OoT.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Here's how I see it:

Dr. Mario will be removed completely, and maybe replaced with a more unique Mario with different moves (Paper, maybe?)

Pichu will likely be removed, seeing as how he did not work at all in Melee.

Ness could quite possibly be replaced by Lucas.

Roy and/or Marth could both be replaced by other FE characters (my money's on Sigurd and/or Ike)

Young Link, if he isn't removed, will be remodeled into his new style with a non-clone moveset. (I'm not calling it Wind Waker Link because that style also appears in Four Swords, Minish Cap, and Phantom Hourglass.)

Unless he is drastically improved, Mewtwo may very well be removed/replaced with another Pokemon. (I don't know crap about Pokemon though, so don't ask me which one)

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I don't think anyone who is the same person should be allowed into Brawl. For example: Dr. Mario and Young Link. Two forms of the same character is a waste of space. Why not throw in Racoon Mario or Cyber Mewtwo? I don't mind clones as long as they at least stand out from the character they are cloning and the same character isn't even a clone it is the same character. I know they can have different moves but it just isn't fair to other characters of originality that won't get in because everyone wanted WW Link or Ganon or whoever the hell you want to say.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I don't think anyone who is the same person should be allowed into Brawl. For example: Dr. Mario and Young Link. Two forms of the same character is a waste of space. Why not throw in Racoon Mario or Cyber Mewtwo? I don't mind clones as long as they at least stand out from the character they are cloning and the same character isn't even a clone it is the same character. I know they can have different moves but it just isn't fair to other characters of originality that won't get in because everyone wanted WW Link or Ganon or whoever the hell you want to say.

You are so hypocritical (is that even a word?). You say that you "don't think anyone who is the same person should be allowed into Brawl." That's fine, but then you continue to say, "Why not throw in Racoon Mario or Cyber Mewtwo?" What a strange remark.

First off, if anything, Doc/Y.Link should be axed, no doubt. Doc be a alternate costume however, Y.Link simply be chopped out of Brawl's existence.

Again, I've spoken about this millions of times: Young Link/WW Link/Any other Link/ is basically the same person as the Link we currently are given in Brawl. Why would you want to waste a space for a more deserving and unique character (not naming any) for a remade version of the same character?

I still find it ridiculously stupid how some people still believe that WW Link, or any Link for that matter, should be added.

BlublacMH

Smash Apprentice
Pichu, G&W, & Dr. Mario should be removed

Pichu because many people (including me) dislike him/her. Sure, some may argue that he is a good charactor, but the majority will most likely prevail, and the majority dislikes him.

G&W because we already have a (pretty good) representation of old school (Pit). I think/want him to be removed instead of the Ice Climbers because they brought a new style, something that G&W didnt (him being flat did not change anything but graphics)

Dr. Mario should be removed because he is a waste of space. Mario already has a clone (admit it or not) in Luigi

As for changes, Gannondorf and Mewtwo immedietly come to mind, but some complained about Shiek's dominance, so he/she should be toned down some.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Pit shouldn't represent 'retro', he should represent 'Kid Icarus', a great cult game(Think Earthbound). Ice Climbers should represent random lesser-known NES titles. And Mr.G&W should represent the Game & Watch, Nintendo's first portable system. Jeeze, just because they're old, people think they should lumped together in the same category.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Whatever time period it's in, or different graphical style, It's still link!!!! You say, oh, give him different moves, there are possibilities, but those other items that they didn't use for link,
could've been used for link!!! They could have given link the hammer and magic powers but they didn't. It's like saying that since mario has the frog suit, racoon suit, hammer bros suit, cape, and FLUDD that they didn't use with mario, that it warrants another Mario with different moves!!!!!!! It would still be mario!!!!!!! Captain Falcon has a racecar, but does that mean we should have "Racecar Falcon"?!!?!?!?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
You are so hypocritical (is that even a word?). You say that you "don't think anyone who is the same person should be allowed into Brawl." That's fine, but then you continue to say, "Why not throw in Racoon Mario or Cyber Mewtwo?" What a strange remark.

First off, if anything, Doc/Y.Link should be axed, no doubt. Doc be a alternate costume however, Y.Link simply be chopped out of Brawl's existence.

Again, I've spoken about this millions of times: Young Link/WW Link/Any other Link/ is basically the same person as the Link we currently are given in Brawl. Why would you want to waste a space for a more deserving and unique character (not naming any) for a remade version of the same character?

I still find it ridiculously stupid how some people still believe that WW Link, or any Link for that matter, should be added.

It was a sarcastic remark. And what you said was the point I was trying to get across.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Roy, Marth, Pichu, and Dr. Mario are the only clones that seem like a priority to be cut. Give Gannondorf either his sword (most likely) or his dark magic (if the sword fails him in programing). Falco, I'm not sure, but he can be chagned somehow. Y. Link can stay ONLY if he is WW link. Ness and Kirby need to take a trip to the past and become as awesome as they were in SSB64.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are there any characters confirmed to not return? I remember reading it somewhere, but I've forgotten it since then.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
This article says:

In an interview with Japanese radio program, The Gaming Show, Super Smash Bros. Brawl director and creator Masahiro Sakurai reveal new names appearing on the upcoming Nintendo Wii game. Sakurai confirms the third installment to the massively successful Super Smash Bros. Brawl will have Junior Browser, Samus' arch enemy Ridley, and Wind Waker's Link on board.

The young Link, along with Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch, has been scratched from the Nintendo fighting series. The removal of Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch, which was due to the not-so-enthusiastic response from fans, makes Kid Icarus hero Pit the only representative of the "old school" gaming era.

Also confirmed is the total number of characters appearing in the title. Sakurai says a total of forty characters will be included in the game, which means that there is still room for 15 new names, two or three of which will come from third-party editors.
Is it just BS? I hope they don't drop the Ice Climbers >_>

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
Agree With Most of YOu

Yeah, Doc (no matter how much i love him) is gonna go... Pichu just has to go... YL will become WW link... Falco will get luigified... However, i think G&W should stay, hes so original. And i think marth needs to be nerfed if not cut, just because roy is way more unique with the fire. I just hate marth's sword...

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Two things:

1. Screw WW Link, we don't need a different form of anyone in the next game.
2. LD50, that was a rumor that has been proven false, the only thing we know is that we have 5 newcomers and a few melee characters will be dropped.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ah, thanks.

And now to tell the person who thought they were confirmed gone that they aren't. ^^

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Change Roy, Ganon, Bowser, and Zelda. Axe Sheik, Pichu, Doc, Bowser, Mewtwo, Y.Link and Falco. Pichu and Doc could be costumes. Falco should be axed for Wolf. Bowser needs to be changed or be axed if he would stay the same. Zelda and Ganon need their swords and Roy needs his moveset tweaked for better arials. Mewtwo is just awful so he should go and Y.Link is just a bad idea and would take up space in Brawl.

Zink

Smash Champion
Falco is more popular than Wolf. And why can't Falco be luigified instead of cut? He's an enourmously popular character.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
DUH. They aren't going to axe Bowser. If anything, they'll change him, but he's not going anywhere. Playa plz.

Zelda's fine without her sword, but if they want to give Ganondorf his, I don't care. I think Zelda's fine the way she is, however. Maybe split the two (Zelda and Sheik), but I'm sure they're pretty much safe. Falco won't be axed - he's too popular. They'll add Krystal before Wolf anyway. Mewtwo won't be axed either - he's too notable of a Pokémon character.

Pichu and Doc become costumes. Axe Roy and YL. Roy can be replaced by another FE character, most likely Ike or Sigurd(?) or Hector. Just get rid of YL and make him a trophy.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Pichu can't be a costume, it's a completely different character from Pikachu.

icymatt

Smash Lord
But Pichu looks different from Pikachu, it's not a slight cosmetic change, it's a whole new character model, and thus would take far more time than needed.

Kalaquinn

Smash Apprentice
Turn Pichu into a killy vampire weasal and give him fangs. He'd be even more hardcore than he is now.

JPW

Smash Ace
Get rid of Pichu, Dr.Mario, Roy, Ice Climbers, and Young Link.

I also don't want Mewtwo or G&W, but a lot of people seem to really want these guys to stay.

Bowser will stay he is Mario's main rival, and he plays a big part in the Mario franchise still.
All they need to do, is just make him more brutal. It's amazing people want Bowser cut more then Ice Climbers or G&W. Can someone please tell me before Melee when was the last time you even heard of the Ice climbers or Game and Watch.

I really want to see them reinvent the cast as much as possible. Keep the originals, along with their main villains and go from there.

I reckon we'll at least see 5 cuts. That's leaves the floor for 19 newcomers.
when you think of that broken up.
We have the first 4 newcomers, the 3 3rd party slots, and 12 other spots for people like:
Geno, King Deedee, Wolf, Krystal, Ridley, Diddy Kong, and so forth.
But I reckon it'll be a lot fairer with 6 cuts, cuts it down to half each. 20 new additions, and 20 originals.

Whatever the case there will be cuts, and we should face what happens, after all it's just a game.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I knew G&W before SSBM. And only stupid n00bs who suck with Bowser say he should go, and even then there isn't that many. And why should Ice Climbers go before Sheik? A character who played only one role in one game. At least Ice Climbers were the star of their game, and have had different versions of it released, plus Sakurai likes the older games a lot more.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Pichu could NOT be a costume for Pichu, he's a pre-evolution to Pikachu, it just won't happen.

Edit: Iggy, how do you KNOW Sakurai like the old games more? As for Sheik getting axed before the Ice Cllimbers, you have issues. Sheik is an excellent character, and is incredibly popular. She doesn't have to be a main character to stay, if that were true we'd have 4 characters, Mario, Luigi, Fox, and Link (in no particular order). Sheik would win a vote over the climbers, end of story.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Edit: Iggy, how do you KNOW Sakurai like the old games more? As for Sheik getting axed before the Ice Cllimbers, you have issues. Sheik is an excellent character, and is incredibly popular. She doesn't have to be a main character to stay, if that were true we'd have 4 characters, Mario, Luigi, Fox, and Link (in no particular order). Sheik would win a vote over the climbers, end of story.
I heard Flip say Sakurai liked older games more. I don't see how being a good character in Melee increases the character's chance of staying. Ice Climbers are also poular. Sheik had a suporting role in just one game, and it looks like they're going for characters from recent Zelda games(might be wrong on this). No, it's not end of story.

Pablo18

Smash Journeyman
flagged up poppin dat 18 street in Long Island....
yo u all DO know that G&W and IC are being cut right?

anyway, pichu cant ba a costume for pikachu end of disscusion. bowser wont go and shouldnt go he plays one of the biggest chars. in the mario series. IC are being cut and i dont know about shiek, i think shes fine the way she is, ganon should be given a sword, and roy should be axed for ike.

bbb

Smash Champion
yo u all DO know that G&W and IC are being cut right?

anyway, pichu cant ba a costume for pikachu end of disscusion. bowser wont go and shouldnt go he plays one of the biggest chars. in the mario series. IC are being cut and i dont know about shiek, i think shes fine the way she is, ganon should be given a sword, and roy should be axed for ike.
This post may very well have given me cancer.

Scuba Man Sam

Smash Cadet
You would be incorrect here. This has been discussed MANY, MANY times. The Link from WW is indeed a different person than the link from TP, MM, and OoT.
Didn't I say not to complain, God! Go get a life.I knew you guys were predictable. It's not like I brought up a controversial subject. Mabye I did. I really don't care about WW link. I'm hungry.:dizzy:

Mean2U

Smash Cadet
Yeah we don't need WW Link...

Roy should stay but he needs a different moveset than Marth's. In FE6 when Roy had the Sword of Seals he could attack from a space away, therefore he could have a projectile attack. And I seriously don't think they'll take Roy out, he's to popular.

Top Bottom