• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chicago-Land Power Rankings (Updated 12/30/2011)

john!

Smash Hero
during my first year improvement felt like a puzzle where I would have a breakthrough almost at random, since then I've felt more and more that improvement is something that can be systematic/scientific and if you practice right then improvement is just how much work you put in.
what's your method for improvement?

is it something that everyone could use, or only a specific type of player?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm going to just manually write down the bracket of all tournaments I go to so that I can recreate them in TIO if the TO isn't going to be uploading it.
Well, it's his region's loss then. Maybe he'll succumb to pressure from his local community then.
Yeah, and by doing it this way I'm losing all the pools results.
He has them, he told me so. He just refuses to aid this project for unknown reasons.
I'm not so much surprised someone is ignorant enough to want this project to fail, but rather that they would hide their reasoning. Surely if he thinks the project is bad for the community he would come forth and explain why... If he's afraid of events being seeded inaccurately because of the system, he might as well upload results anyway because a few TOs not uploading results isn't going to stop people from using this as a seeding method. It's just going to give his entire region ****tier seeds...
Wow, my respect for ORLY just went down the drain :/
If ORLY would be interested in talkIng about any of his concerns, tell him that I'd be more than happy to talk to him about the project and his reasons for not wanting to help out. Maybe I can clear some things up or show him that this is a worthwhile project after all.
:phone:
Dear Chris,

Please upload your tio files or give us a reason why you aren't.

Yours truely,
Every player that has attended your tournaments

john!

Smash Hero
i'm not sure why chris isn't providing the files

but he IS the TO and the tourneys wouldn't have happened without him (i assume)

so ultimately it's up to him whether he wants to participate in that project or not

besides, aren't you able to upload individual matches to that database, or maybe create a new tio file and input the matches manually?

and why would it significantly affect our rankings?

and why are the rankings such a big deal anyway? :confused:

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
i'm not sure why chris isn't providing the files

but he IS the TO and the tourneys wouldn't have happened without him (i assume)

so ultimately it's up to him whether he wants to participate in that project or not

besides, aren't you able to upload individual matches to that database, or maybe create a new tio file and input the matches manually?

and why would it significantly affect our rankings?

and why are the rankings such a big deal anyway? :confused:
An obvious goal of this project is ranked seeding, not just the opinion of the TO. It will also be a HUGE help in events like nationals. Did you see those pools at SMYMs?

@Sveet
I've uploaded the following
Smash to the Future part V
Smash to the Future part VI
Smash to the Future Enchantment Under FD
Smash to the Future Can You *****es Go 90
Smash to the Future 11/26/11
Don't Blink 4
Don't Blink 2012
Don't Blink Don't Care 4
Random Basement Tournament done in Chris' Basement

All the rest of the SttF's either didn't get results threads, the bracket wasn't posted, or I can't find them.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Theres a strong possibility that FC will use the rankings to seed their pools. KishPrime is helping quite a bit with the project

not to mention, i will be using it to seed the SGs all summer long

darkatma

Smash Hero
Kelly, you honestly should focus on your Fox. It's easily your best character. Also, you don't have to play gay with Fox ALL the time. I think you'd benefit by challenging yourself to incorporate different playstyles.

Your Falco is good too, but your Fox is better. I wish you'd play as aggressive with Fox as you do Falco.

Your Sheik is a gay 1-dimensional gimmick. Its only use for you imo is the Samus MU (still not a necessity) and auto piloting your way through MW tournaments, which isn't helping you grow as a player.
I agree with this 100%, kels you have so much potential with fox

ORLY

Smash Master
lol everyone's all up in arms against me here

even crimsonblur! and a bunch of other people i have no idea who they are

for FC, i will do this

but this is not a concession! i just want FC to go as well as possible

EDIT: it is done. all my TIO files have been sent.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
lol everyone's all up in arms against me here

even crimsonblur! and a bunch of other people i have no idea who they are

for FC, i will do this

but this is not a concession! i just want FC to go as well as possible

EDIT: it is done. all my TIO files have been sent.
Have you done everything, or the ones I didn't?

ORLY

Smash Master
everything. the ones you've done didn't include pools and therefore ignored the players that don't make it out of pools

also ignored the differences it'd make in rankings for wins in pools

EDIT: NOW LEAVE ME ALONE I HAVE SFXT, MARIO KART, AND WOW TO PLAY

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Thanks Chris! Also I figure i'd answer your concerns...

he said he doesn't like that some tournaments such as Nationals are weighed as highly as lets say biweeklies.
Each match at the national and biweekly are weighted the same, your score change per match is only related to the difference in scores between you and your opponent. The tournaments as a whole are not equivalent because of how many games are played comparably. The more matches played, the more accurate Elo is -- after a national Elo should be pretty accurate.

ORLY

Smash Master
la la la la la la i can't hear you

i care not for this silly thing

but it will make seeding pools way easier

(lol what's up with kels being the highest rated fox)

Dart!

Smash Master
lmao @ the Sheik comment. She's so easy to win with though. NO technical barriers to overcome. just be patient and the enemy falls right into your hands. Fox gets ***** by falco so hard. The only match i hate more than fox vs falco is fox vs jiggs. I'm not a big fan of Fox/marth either but i can deal with it.
You're very good vs all the other matchups but how are you going to learn the matchups you aren't as strong in without playing them?
I could be a strong advocate of this.

ORLY

Smash Master
i checked in on the SSBPD and saw that my submissions (with the exception of maybe one or two) were not updated and calculated

how long does it usually take? i'm beginning to lose interest in it again

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
i checked in on the SSBPD and saw that my submissions (with the exception of maybe one or two) were not updated and calculated

how long does it usually take? i'm beginning to lose interest in it again
A while, whenever they "reset". It's like once every week or two.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
It takes them longer depending on how messed up your tio file is.

Like, if you entered in Oro?! one tourney, Bzoo the next tourney, then Barnes the next tourney, **** is gonna get confusing for them fast.

ORLY

Smash Master
listen barnes and noble, don't be mad that your book's confusing to read

that's just the way the dtj cookie crumbles

EDIT: @frootloop: your graph is the most confusing thing ever

ORLY

Smash Master
done and done

now we need you to get a rival named borders

and then he has to quit

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
chris we only had to play each other on saturday because I didn't enter as YARLY this time.

I should enter tourneys as frootloop.rating *= 2;

just in case.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Since I am officially the last Starbucks employee in the [active] chicago smash scene, I am considering changing my tag to "The Via Shinobi"

Wake

Smash Master
Quaz, I would recommend playing another character for a while honestly.

Also, John, I think you're wrong about the tech skill spacie argument, and forgive me if I interpreted this incorrectly. I don't think you can just practice tech skill with spacies and win all the time. Smarts are absolutely necessary for every character. You use Fox too! haha

Furthermore, practicing tech skill is super important for pretty much every character (Honestly, I'm not quite sure about Puff :p). Armada is insanely technical. I think Peach requires a lot of tech skill practice, just like spacies do (not necessarily saying as much as spacies, but still a lot), and both require the smarts to actually win.

Younger players like Frootloop and I got better really fast because we put a lot of work into it (not saying that you were implying that he merely had to practice tech skill to win).

ANYWAYS, Quaz, you got this.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Frootloop is amazing because his mental game is better than his tech game, and his tech game is practically the best in the MW. I honestly expect him to be the best in the MW by 2013, if not sooner.

edit- also, armada is mentally technical. He thinks farther ahead and understands more complex situations than any player i've ever seen.

john!

Smash Hero
Also, John, I think you're wrong about the tech skill spacie argument, and forgive me if I interpreted this incorrectly. I don't think you can just practice tech skill with spacies and win all the time. Smarts are absolutely necessary for every character. You use Fox too! haha
i think that's a bit of an exaggeration. my point was that improvement with space animals is a lot more straightforward compared to other characters. and i'm not just saying this for no reason; this is stuff that i've noticed in my own results.

for example, i play peach far more often than i play any other character... yet my fox does better against good doctor than my peach does... and my falco has an easier time against mundungu than my peach does... even though i spent a lot of time trying to figure out peach's matchups, and have spent relatively little time trying to improve my space animals.

i feel like i'm wasting my time with that character when i can just use a top tier and do as well if not better for half the matchups in the game... but at the same time, i don't want to abandon my best character because i know i can still improve. it's very frustrating.

Top Bottom