• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ChuChuROBBuddies!

T0MMY

Smash Master
If you watch some vids of me in 2008 you'll see me bounce the Gyro off stage to get it in hand. I do this on Smashville, Lylat, and Pokemon stadium. Not easy, but it is possible, fyi. I generally don't rely on doing this because I'm usually against a Meta Knight who is eager to look for an opening to destroy any recovery attempts.
It's best to shoot the Gyro onto the stage where it will stop next to you and you can ADC Toss from there <=surprises almost everyone and leads to a F-Air to Glide-toss > U-Smash/F-Smash combo.

Also, Brawl > Melee. Have fun with that old game Sudai, I played it competitively for years and have barely touched it since Brawl's release. R.O.B. isn't in Melee, that is fail. (however, Pichu is almost as cute).

Sudai

Stuff here
I played it competitively for years before Brawl too, T0mmy. Still more fun than Brawl. Like, Melee got stale for me after a while, but Brawl got even staler, much, much faster.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Again... R.O.B. is not in Melee. And you have to remember I mained Pichu in Melee... that really wasn't very fun playing a joke character, lol.
Not like it matters though, play the game you like, but I like Mariokart DS best because R.O.B. is in it. Y'know. Haha

BTW... I now own THREE R.O.B.s, the last one I got came with all his parts (Two Gyros, a Gyro Chargers, etc.)
I think I'm going to get a Famicom Robot next. ([^^]

stingers

Smash Obsessed
why do you love rob so much? i just play him because i'm good with him. (or was in like june 2008, lolol wish I was good with MK back then -sigh-)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I played it competitively for years before Brawl too, T0mmy. Still more fun than Brawl. Like, Melee got stale for me after a while, but Brawl got even staler, much, much faster.
Sooo this.

Again... R.O.B. is not in Melee.
He will be soon :demon:

And you have to remember I mained Pichu in Melee... that really wasn't very fun playing a joke character, lol.
That is entirely your choice. You can't blame the game because the character you choose to main is bad.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
(however, Pichu is almost as cute).
Mmmmmmmmmmhm! ^_^

And what's ADC?

edit:

You know you can grab the gyro with Z and it won't do any attack or anything, right? Much faster than fair.
Something I never really knew for sure was, what makes him sometimes air dodge grab it and sometimes just grab it w/o dodging?

At least I'm pretty sure he air dodges sometimes.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
So apparently Toasty just now discovered the Black Keys, which makes me highly sad. It may mean that my fellow ROB mains were not aware of how amazingly hard these guys rock.

Toasty pulled a short-hopping-in-place-Meta-Knight bait tactic and told me the White Stripes were better. I was furious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luwp5iZD8wQ

You can't rock much harder than that.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Sadly, Pichu was the most fun.
SSBB > SSB > SSBM

ADC Toss is an Air Dodge Canceled Toss.

Timing is key for Z-Air catching. Use Z-Air catch to wait before a Toss and use ADC to Toss immediately.
You all should money match Felix @ MLG and see if you can keep up with his item game... I'm going to guess there's a good chance he'll 3-stock you guys if you don't have this stuff down X^)

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Again... R.O.B. is not in Melee. And you have to remember I mained Pichu in Melee... that really wasn't very fun playing a joke character, lol.
Not like it matters though, play the game you like, but I like Mariokart DS best because R.O.B. is in it. Y'know. Haha

BTW... I now own THREE R.O.B.s, the last one I got came with all his parts (Two Gyros, a Gyro Chargers, etc.)
I think I'm going to get a Famicom Robot next. ([^^]
You're probally one of the people who kept outbidding me :mad:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
that ROB looks pretty perfect. I don't think airdashes need more startup. I would blame your opponents not being used to it at all more than the power of the technique itself. give the game some time to develop, if things conceptually look good then there is no reason to change it because of early playtesting for balance reasons.

The only thing that's still bothering me about ROB is his un-Melee-esque projectile game. Idk, his Gyro still seems behind the pace of the game. I was thinking making it like YL's arrows. Make it semi-spammable, and have them last less on the ground, still with a hitbox. Like, have them shoot out quicker, and at a gentler angle. They still seem to centralize his game a little bit.

Not that that'll be taken seriously, or into consideration. :/

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Like I said in the comments, we haven't gotten to the balancing phase yet. And yeah, that guy is strictly a Melee player, so he definitely didn't know what to expect.

Sorry 'turds, but I am opposed to any gyro changes. It's so unique and perfect, and the fact that it spins on the ground and can be picked up are what make it so awesome.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I know you haven't gotten to the balancing phase yet, but in the comments you also said "I agree it may still need some tweaking. Currently, airdashes have 9 frames of startup, and can be canceled into an aerial or airdodge." I'm curious as to why you said that, seeing as how Pierce only said that due to a video against a melee player who had never played Project M before.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
"May need some tweaking" doesn't mean I agree with his specific idea. I definitely don't think it should have any more startup. It would just be clunky. And the endlag doesn't really matter much since if they're close you're gonna cancel it with something anyway. But maybe something like, the boost moves slower but has less startup. And there are other moves that need tweaking too.

Like I said in the comments, we haven't gotten to the balancing phase yet. And yeah, that guy is strictly a Melee player, so he definitely didn't know what to expect.

Sorry 'turds, but I am opposed to any gyro changes. It's so unique and perfect, and the fact that it spins on the ground and can be picked up are what make it so awesome.
I'm saying, keep the ground spinning and pickup-ability. Just suggesting you make it shorter lived and a bit more of an offensive projectile.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
9 frames of startup is relatively slow in melee, I really don't think it'll even be very useful on the ground due to how SLOW it actually is, when people get used to it, it'd be very easy to say SH Nair ROBs head with Fox when you see ROB at the right IAB (instant aerial boost, lolol) range, and even if you miss, fox is safe with no real commitment...other characters can do the same thing (falco nair, marth fair, falcon nair, etc, all hit around the head area above where ROBs fair hits). obv you can mix up the height of your side B to try and combat that, but you're simply making it even slower, and at higher levels of play if project m becomes more mainstream I can't seeing it being used as much for offensive play compared to defensive play...but that's just my theorycraft. conceptually, I think the move is balanced recovery-wise and on-stage (weak offensively, but useful for stuffing approaches...IAB wb gyro or something to that effect would be more effective than run away wb gyro now), however if you were intending it to be used often as a sort of V-13 airdash then I don't think it'll quite achieve that effect - but that remains to be seen, of course.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'll leave it as is for now. Honestly, I've never played a fighting game with airdashing so I'm just kinda winging it right now :p I'm still getting used to it and I haven't even begun to try gyro cancel trixies with it. Airdash fair is sooo good though. Fair still has sick priority and it's safer than it was in Brawl because of shieldstun and L-canceling. Not as safe as nair though. A well-spaced nair is completely unpunishable.

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah, it's like GG and Blazblue and a lot of other fighters with air dashes lol. I really like the multi dash. OH, speaking of, JCaes, I have an idea to change Sonic's homing attack into something more useful. Let him cancel it with an aerial. That is, if y'all aren't done with him yet. I think y'all already finished it. lol

It makes sense cause sonic using the homing attack to attack people, but like, he moves so fast you just can't see his aerial in any of the games other than smash due to hitstun. <.<

But yeah, I'd love it because I'd feel like I'm playing Arcana Heart (kinda, everyone has a homing in that game and you can use it to cancel moves and cancel it into moves. Ballin relatively unknown fighter on the PS2 full of Loli's. :3 ).

Just throwin that out there. lol

Oh, btw, what are y'all's plans for DDD and Wario, if I may inquire? :o

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah, it's like GG and Blazblue and a lot of other fighters with air dashes lol. I really like the multi dash. OH, speaking of, JCaes, I have an idea to change Sonic's homing attack into something more useful. Let him cancel it with an aerial. That is, if y'all aren't done with him yet. I think y'all already finished it. lol

It makes sense cause sonic using the homing attack to attack people, but like, he moves so fast you just can't see his aerial in any of the games other than smash due to hitstun. <.<

But yeah, I'd love it because I'd feel like I'm playing Arcana Heart (kinda, everyone has a homing in that game and you can use it to cancel moves and cancel it into moves. Ballin relatively unknown fighter on the PS2 full of Loli's. :3 ).

Just throwin that out there. lol

Oh, btw, what are y'all's plans for DDD and Wario, if I may inquire? :o
Sonic can cancel his HA into an aerial on hit confirm I believe. His HA is a lot better now. Less startup + tracks a lot better. It's actually an amazing gimp move because offstage they usually can't avoid it.

DDD, I have no idea. But Wario is now much more canon to Wario Land. He's awesome. I'll see if I can dig up a video for ya.

Sudai

Stuff here
o_O you're up late..
You don't want to know
Sonic can cancel his HA into an aerial on hit confirm I believe. His HA is a lot better now. Less startup + tracks a lot better. It's actually an amazing gimp move because offstage they usually can't avoid it.

DDD, I have no idea. But Wario is now much more canon to Wario Land. He's awesome. I'll see if I can dig up a video for ya.
Woo. Sounds cool on Sonic. Can't wait for the Wario vid, and I hope you guys can make DDD fit without a lot of reworking. lol

Top Bottom