• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Civil War 4, Richmond, Va Feat: PPMD and Cacti Streaming: twitch.tv/bifuteki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, to be honest... I'm leaning to 3 people make it out, and 3rd place is in losers. and the 1's and 2's play each other. But good to have options open.

Be thankful for Round Robin!
Much more reasonable than 2nd seed straight to losers. Obviously the ideal method is to have 2nd and 3rd seeds played each other and 1st seeds get a bye. Typically done with 16 pools giving you 48 people in a 64 man bracket. Have to see how many people actually attend.

Obviously I'm not attending so my opinion doesn't really count, but there you have it.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
lol you too mahone? i was wondering if i was the only one reading it that way sometimes.

having 3rd place on losers side and not second place is janky lol. i like the 48 people in a 64 man bracket, but if top 2 make it out and you have the loser in losers bracket, you may as well go straight to bracket and have it seeded well.

edit: like tope i'm not going so my opinion doesn't matter either btw lol.

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
lol you too mahone? i was wondering if i was the only one reading it that way sometimes.

having 3rd place on losers side and not second place is janky lol. i like the 48 people in a 64 man bracket, but if top 2 make it out and you have the loser in losers bracket, you may as well go straight to bracket and have it seeded well.

edit: like tope i'm not going so my opinion doesn't matter either btw lol.
My only problem with 6-pools, top 3 make it out, seed is this:

It's pretty weak.

why in the heck to we have to play 15 matches, taking 150 minutes on 2TV's, just to eliminate 3 players?

Has a 3 seed ever gone to win a tournament?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Is this tournament shaping up to be tight on time though? It's cool that we have a couple decent players coming in, but I haven't seen too many people outside the region post about coming and there were only like 30some people signed up when you last posted

Plus a lot of players (especially newer ones) value tournament matches for the experience, so if you can accommodate then I think you should

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
Is this tournament shaping up to be tight on time though? It's cool that we have a couple decent players coming in, but I haven't seen too many people outside the region post about coming and there were only like 30some people signed up when you last posted

Plus a lot of players (especially newer ones) value tournament matches for the experience, so if you can accommodate then I think you should

It's actually not shaping up to be tight on time at all, so it may render my time saving measures moot.

As of right now, qualifying 3 for seeding purposes only is more than feasible, and my opinions on format won't matter much if you guys have tons of time to do everything.

Post up on more SOVA, MD/VA, NC boards... I know there's a lot more out there.

CTL17

Smash Lord
This is supposed to be a national. There needs to be more OoS hype. I guess after HBox found out he couldn't attend, there was sort of a unhype.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
My only problem with 6-pools, top 3 make it out, seed is this:

It's pretty weak.

why in the heck to we have to play 15 matches, taking 150 minutes on 2TV's, just to eliminate 3 players?

"It's pretty weak" is an opinion.

The idea is that everybody gets their moneys worth, even if they don't make it out of pools AND it still makes a solid bracket. The whole idea of the tournament is for everyone to get to play tournament matches and get more experience, not just cater to the top players.

Also, probably. I'm sure there have been instance where somebody played pools not warmed up/sandbagging/with not their main etc and got third in pools and then played serious business and won. Given that there have been thousands of tournaments played over the course of nearly 11 years, it's a pretty big assumption on your part to make that sort of comment.

/just sayin

Also, the venue fee is absurd given the likely attendance of this tournament. In fact, $30 venue fee is likely to have a strong negative impact on a lot of OOS people coming/entering.

Mahone

Smash Champion
i agree with lightsyde, the venue fee is what stopped me from registering, but i guess its too late to change it now

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
"It's pretty weak" is an opinion.

/just sayin
Sure, it's an opinion. Never said it was otherwise.

I completely agree that RR helps "getting matches" in to newer players and getting tourney experience, esp when top level players are loathe to play newer players if it's not a MM.

If someone can sandbag in pools, then "play serious" and win, then the point of pools from a competitive standpoint seems to be called into question. "Non-serious/Sandbag" matches don't have much place in a tournament, it should be serious 100% of the time.

Again, I'm not likely to change any format unless the numbers approach my projections for needed said formats, which would be about triple the current registration numbers. I went over all this with Max 2 weeks ago.

I like to keep an open dialogue, and wanted to see how you guys felt about things.

As far as the 30$ venue, it was 20$ 3 weeks ago, why didn't more people sign up then?

It will be 40$ at the door next week. This tournament was announced in January, and Smash added in early February. 2.5 days of event space is not cheap.

There will be games with much less attendance than Smash, but people are ok with that b/c they want to support their scene at majors.

Think of it this way, how much would you pay to hang out with people and play games all weekend w/ lots of setups without having to worry about the details?

I paid 60$ at Magfest because I registered late. Im paying 50$ at EVO (and that's the early bird).

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
Also, I may have forgot to mention this over here.

Each winner of 8 tournaments at Civil War 4 will receive a replica Civil War Calvary sword, engraved with "Champion, Game Name, and Event Details"

Smash singles is one of those events.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
It doesn't look like I'll be able to make this one guys.. :( I'll be about $150+ short on my end) =/

However I am gonna try and get some overtime, but even then i'll have to be "lucky"

I hope this tourney is fun for everyone, but I'll still do everything I can to get there.. I really wanna spend my birthday "doing something" not at home zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ya know?

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
If someone can sandbag in pools, then "play serious" and win, then the point of pools from a competitive standpoint seems to be called into question. "Non-serious/Sandbag" matches don't have much place in a tournament, it should be serious 100% of the time.

As far as the 30$ venue, it was 20$ 3 weeks ago, why didn't more people sign up then?

It will be 40$ at the door next week. This tournament was announced in January, and Smash added in early February. 2.5 days of event space is not cheap.

There will be games with much less attendance than Smash, but people are ok with that b/c they want to support their scene at majors.

Think of it this way, how much would you pay to hang out with people and play games all weekend w/ lots of setups without having to worry about the details?

I paid 60$ at Magfest because I registered late. Im paying 50$ at EVO (and that's the early bird).
What do you mean, "calls into question?" It just means some people don't have to try in pools, while others do. "It should be serious 100% of the time" seems just flat out ignorant of the reality of tournaments. People are going to play Melee however they want, in or out of tournament. You seem to be trying to rule out the example I gave you without anything but your opinion, despite it actually addressing your question about whether a 3rd seed has ever won a tournament.

"Why didn't more people sign up then?" Because a lot of people don't hear about tournaments until a week or two prior. Also, because a $20 venue fee for a smallish regional size tourney is still pretty bad. It now being $30 slid the likelyhood of my going from maybe to definitely not.

I'm glad people want to support their scene by overpaying to enter tournaments, but this is not a major, sorry.

People could think about it like that, hanging out with no details...except for the details of it costing $40 at the door + ridiculous gas prices + having to get a hotel room. Going to tournaments IS details.

And again, you almost hurt your case by comparing it to Magfest and Evo. Magfest is a crazy weekend long gaming con with everything ever and only cost $20 more; Evo tournaments sometimes have ~1000+ attendees and are big crazy experiences and only cost $10-20 more.

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
I respect your opinions, and we'll have to agree to disagree about Round Robin tournaments. I come from a place where double elim is king, and even single elim tournaments are fairly common.

As far as the tourney being "worth it"... let me just say this.

Smash has by far the most event resources (time/space/setups) dedicated to it per person than any other game at the tournament.

No other game is doing Round Robin (cept for Super Turbo on a cab w/ 8 people), Smash will.

No other game is going to be running all weekend. Smash will.

No other game will have a room to itself. Smash will.

No other game has a dedicated stream. Smash now will.

Smash needs CRT TV's and Gamecubes, whereas I have Xboxes and VGA monitors. I went out and got them anyway.

I secured sweet trophies for the 6 EVO games, but added Smash as well.

I mean, I don't really know what more I can do, you know?

chillindude829

Smash Master
Yea renegade has actually ran melee tournaments in the md/va area for a long time.... he's more of a 2D fighter guy, but the guy knows tourneys. let him work he knows what hes doin.

venue fee is a lot, but ill pay that amount to see all my friends and have tons and tons of setups to play at.

EDIT this is g-reg dunno why chillins acct is on my comp

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Yeah, I don't doubt that he knows what he's doing. I was just making my objections about what he was saying about Pools and the venue fee.

Regardless, I hope everybody has fun. I'd almost consider going just to see Savedge and Cyrain. /gay

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The fact that we're doing round robin is pretty good. The last shell shocked had more attendants and was only double elimination. Then again a lot of them were cp students so =/

ChuDat

Smash Master
Renegade, you are definitely catering to the top players when it doesn't work like that in the smash community. That's wrong because you're leaving out a good 95% of the community while only focusing on the top 5%. You could care less what happens in smash. Please consider other people when posting.

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
How am I catering to top players? The event is RR 6 player pools. Currently, it's 3 people get out of the pools in a seeded bracket, I was outlining options if certain numbers were hit.

I'll probably end up having 1 setup for every 3-5 players, and 24 hours to run the tournament in, which leads to ridiculous amounts of friendlies.

There is a room I got from the hotel just for friendlies.

I'll have display TV's for certain stations in Smash for spectating via video splitters.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Sage we had like infinity people doing both doubles and singles in one day with like 7 or 8 setups <_<
I'm also not sure what Chu is complaining about, his post was rather vague

ChuDat

Smash Master
Yeah, I was late =/. If you're interested, I was responding to this

Renegade said:

Oh well, it doesn't matter now :)

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Maybe I should chime in a little.

I trust Renegade. He knows his stuff. At the same time he has a lot of people that are coming for several events and he has to try to make sure they are happy as well. I think he is looking at it from a logistical perspective, which is fine, and trying to please everyone is just impossible in my experience.

Personally I would like to see how many TVs he is using for smash and build it around that. If they are just going to run it themselves and have its own stream ( Btw Renegade its BIFUTEKI ) then just let them run it the way they want and just tell them the time they need to be out on Sunday.

I think it won't be an issue but it is his tournament and I am ok with it.

Also guys remember that we are getting our own room. Other games are all being put in another room while we get more space, tvs, and time, than ANY other event. You think the venue fee is high? I have seen some FGC tournaments that are 30-40 for a 1-2 day event. Remember that we have it for multiple days so 20 venue fee starting was VERY reasonable. 30 is just as reasonable based on what he is providing for the community.

tl;dr - We are going to have a good time lets all go, support, pay ONLINE , save some money and enjoy ourselves.

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
rene looks like hes on top of everything, honestly if you dont like the registration being so high sign up early. god dam people this tourney was up like 3 months in advance or something like that i signed up months ago lolz.

BTW anybody bringing project M Demo 2? that game is fun as hell

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Yea there was a lot of time to pre-reg so no johns lol. Regardless of attendance, I'm going to make sure the event runs smoothly and that everybody has an enjoyable experience.

Is there anybody that is planning on registering at the door? If it's only one or two people, I may post pools up the night before.

rhan

Smash Hero
Am I allowed to enter any of the other tournies at the door?

I feel smash is sucking at this. :/

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Whoa, that means I can still enter teams if I wanted to?
That's kinda sweet

I also thought AlexStrife said play online and I was like wut

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
okay i got bought my bus tickets, so this is for sure. BTW i still havent gotten my answer about the hotel rate, when i reserved my rooms they said 69$ a nigth but the thread still says that we get the 59$ discount. So wich is i have to know so i do the math and see how much were each paying

Bones0

Smash Legend
For what it's worth, I think the most limiting factor was when you posted the tournament. 2.5 months is plenty of time for an individual to make up his mind, register, reserve a hotel, and make plans, but large tournaments need hype. If you have 6 months of notice for a tournament, it's much easier to get the hype build-up. The top players can plan **** out so they KNOW they can attend, and once you have a huge list of players wanting to go, they realize there's a lot of interest and sign up.

I'm no tourney expert, but that was just my perspective as a player. Venue fee was normal, hotel fees were great, proper room for setups is great, 24-7 venue is amazing. I just didn't want you to go thinking any of those were the problem because they weren't. That said, I'm sure the tournament will still be high energy, fun, and awesome like any properly run Melee tournament is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom