• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Close Combat: A Hand to Hand Tourney! CONGRATULATIONS TO SONIC STORM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aibou

Smash Master
Well hello there, I'm Aibou. I've been a part of SWF for a little over a month and have competed (and in some cases, still competing) in a few online tourneys here. So now that the worst of my tourneys are over, I've decided to cook one up myself.

Here's the scoop: This will be a normal, single elimination 1vs1 tourney. However, there is a catch. There is only a specific group of characters and stages to choose from. The theme of the tournament is a Close Combat Brawl. Meaning that there will be no projectiles in this tournament. Just the old, hand to hand (or in some cases, sword to sword or sword to hand) fighting. Cool huh? No? Well then...

Now, here are the basic rules:

-ONLY MEMBERS THAT ARE A SMASH APPRENTICE OR HIGHER CAN JOIN UNLESS I, OR ANOTHER RELIABLE MEMBER VOUCH FOR YOU!
-3 Stock Matches
-8 Minute Timer
-Items set to OFF and NONE
-You must win a 2/3 match in order to move on (3/5 in Finals)
-Meta Knight cannot use his Infinite Cape Glitch (INSTANT DQ!)
-If the match ends in a suicide kill (Bowser/Ganon's Side B), then the attacker wins the game
-Stalling of any kind is not allowed
-Stage Striking is permitted, but not required. If you do not know what Stage Striking is, ask me, though I am assuming everyone does
-Loser of first match chooses the next stage. Communicate through tags if you cannot find a proper place to chat for any reason (Wiinet for example)
-You are allowed as many characters as you wish as long as you choose only those allowed in the tourney
-Notify your opponent if you are switching character (Use tags if necessary)
-If the timer runs out the victor is determined by whomever has more stock. If that is tied, then the winner will be the one with the higher percentage. If that is tied also, then a Sudden Death must occur. Winner of Sudden Death wins the game.
-You may not counterpick a stage you already won on.
-How unplayable lag will be decided by me. Notify me if this happens and I will flip a coin.
-NO JOHNS!
-HAVE FUN!

*If there are any standard rules I may have missed, please contact me*

The only characters that are allowed are characters without a projectile (Bowser's Flame Breath doesn't count due to the fact that you can't sit in a corner and shoot it at your opponent all day):

:metaknight: :marth: :dk2: :sonic: :bowser2: :ike: :jigglypuff: :falcon: :ganondorf:

Those are the allowed characters. Now for stages. Only stages without any hazards or places to camp (like water) at all are allowed:

Neutral

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick

Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1

EVERYTHING ELSE IS BANNED!

Very specific isn't it? Well that's the point. There will be no unfairness about this tournament (the first person to complain about MK will get a Lightning Kick to the face :zelda: ). No complaints about projectiles or hazardous stages. There will be no: "I couldn't get past this projectile", or, "The stage messed me up" blah blah blah. The characters I picked have no true projectiles. The stages I picked have no true hazards. So no complaints.

However, if anyone does spot any legitimate hazards with the stages I've chosen and is capable of providing a strong argument as to why it shouldn't be, then by all means speak up and I will remove it.

Also, I will personally be checking everyone's VMs to see who is responsible and who is not. So I would suggest everyone turn their VM wall ON and only communicate that way so I may see it. If both players are equally responsible and still have not completed their match by the deadline, then I will be forced to flip a coin.

Deadline for the first match will be determined once the tournament fills up. 16 players is the minimum I will take. Maximum of 32 (like it will get that far...)

PLEASE USE THE STANDARD ENTRY FORMAT: Username/Online Tag/Friend Code/Character(s)

HAPPY BRAWLING!

Aibou

Smash Master
*Reserved for entrants*

Aibou/Various Tags/1720-2621-5874/:metaknight: :marth: :ike:

Moot/Moot/ 4983-4608-3365/ :random:

Sonic Storm/Josh (SBoom for battles)/3094-1282-9792/ :sonic: :ike:

thegreatkazoo/KAB or other tags/2922-8999-6173/ :dk2: :marth:

sammy p/ sam/1891-4862-4521/ :ganondorf: :jigglypuff:

shadowfirex100/SogeK/3824-8826-1903/:falcon: :metaknight: :ike: :sonic:

Cleo555/HETHR/4167-4425-2362 / :bowser2: :marth: :metaknight:

Kofu/YoAto/3480-2408-7824/ :jigglypuff: :ganondorf: :bowser:

Slader7/Slade/4768-8130-4063/:metaknight::marth::falcon:

arch knight/3652-3054-9172 /:metaknight: :ike:

LeviNifty/Levi/ 5198 3883 4301/ :jigglypuff:

mcmuff1nman
/ 0173-2745-5921 /:random:

Twilight Prince
/T.P/2878-9374-0338/:ganondorf:

Conspiricy (Sykkamorre)
/ Baron / 0431-3727-7492 / :ganondorf:

Neherazade / Nhrzd (subject to change)/4983-4637-1628/:marth: :ganondorf:

ElNoNombreHombre
/ENNH/3523-1913-1868/:marth:

*Waiting List*

kingdom-triforce/"Unknown Tag"/0903-4340-4762 /:random:

Paladin77/Various tags/2621-2291-5503/:random:

Aibou

Smash Master
Results

1st Place: Sonic Storm

2nd Place: Shadowfirex100

3rd Place: Aibou

4th Place: thegreatkazoo

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Now, here are the basic rules:

-Stalling of any kind is not allowed (only up to 20 ledge grab things at a time)
I would leave this to no stalling, really the ledge grab limit will be too hard to maintain.

Also some rules you should add:

-Make sure you tell the other player if you are switching character
-If the timer runs out the victor is detirmined first by stock, then percentage. No sudden deaths.
-You may not pick a stage to counterpick that you have already won on.
-How long you have until the deadline, and if you will send out reminders.
-How unplayable lag will be decided
-How unfinished matches will be decided

Thats it for now, it looks fun. I might join if I end up having some time. Good luck!

Aibou

Smash Master
I would leave this to no stalling, really the ledge grab limit will be too hard to maintain.

-If the timer runs out the victor is detirmined first by stock, then percentage. No sudden deaths.

Thats it for now, it looks fun. I might join if I end up having some time. Good luck!
Will add all of that right this moment. As well as my own entry lol. Graci zeldspazz. :)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
What the hell is Meta Knight doing there.

Sonic Storm/Josh (SBoom for battles)/3094-1282-9792/:sonic: :ike:

Aibou

Smash Master
Moot/Moot/ 4983-4608-3365/ Character TBA.
Do we have to declare who we are using?
Yes. Though you can put :random: if you plan on using them all.

What the hell is Meta Knight doing there.

Sonic Storm/Josh (SBoom for battles)/3094-1282-9792/:sonic: :ike:
*Lightning Kick's Josh in the face* :zelda:

Going to enter you both now btw...that is, if Josh is still alive lolol

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master

If one just has the replay of the match, the ledge grab limit isn't too hard to implement.

It's sad how no one here calls out the Dave's Stupid Rule, so props for pointing that one out.

Aibou, you should make a xat for people to chat about matches and CPs & bans.

With that said, entry:
thegreatkazoo/KAB or other tags/2922-8999-6173/ :dk2::marth:

Aibou

Smash Master
If one just has the replay of the match, the ledge grab limit isn't too hard to implement.

It's sad how no one here calls out the Dave's Stupid Rule, so props for pointing that one out.

Aibou, you should make a xat for people to chat about matches and CPs & bans.

With that said, entry:
thegreatkazoo/KAB or other tags/2922-8999-6173/ :dk2::marth:
Idk how to make a xat honestly :embarrass

And I'll enter you now.

EDIT: Entering SammyP as well. Nice choice of chars btw Sammy :)

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Ledgegrab limit to me is unnecessary. But it is up to the OP. Usually ledgegrab limits are only applied if the TO is against planking. I personally have no problem with people planking so I would be one to not bother with it. But if Aibou does want to limit it, then by all means try to get the limit. Just remember some people dont have unlimited replay hacks, and some people just dont care.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Going to enter you both now btw...that is, if Josh is still alive lolol
Yes, I am still alive.

However, I feel obligated to tell you that if you and me go against each other, I will feel no shame in picking Sonic and doing nothing but jumping and dropping Springs on you.

Aibou

Smash Master
Ledgegrab limit to me is unnecessary. But it is up to the OP. Usually ledgegrab limits are only applied if the TO is against planking. I personally have no problem with people planking so I would be one to not bother with it. But if Aibou does want to limit it, then by all means try to get the limit. Just remember some people dont have unlimited replay hacks, and some people just dont care.
True that not everyone can record matches. But ledgestalling/planking is a form of stalling, which is banned. So they should know not to do it without me telling them.

Yes, I am still alive.

However, I feel obligated to tell you that if you and me go against each other, I will feel no shame in picking Sonic and doing nothing but jumping and dropping Springs on you.
By all means go right ahead. Not like you need it, my MK sucks and you know it lololol.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
By all means go right ahead. Not like you need it, my MK sucks and you know it lololol.
Which I shouldn't be able to do anyway, since the falling Spring is a hitbox completely independent of Sonic's hurtbox.

Aka, a projectile.

Aibou

Smash Master
Please seed according to skill level...I can help you with that as needed, of course. ;)

That would be fantastic, if you have the time (just don't put me with someone who mains the char I'm using in the first round again lol)

Which I shouldn't be able to do anyway, since the falling Spring is a hitbox completely independent of Sonic's hurtbox.

Aka, a projectile.

...But you can't really camp with that. Thought that does make Sonic debatable...

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master

That would be fantastic, if you have the time (just don't put me with someone who mains the char I'm using in the first round again lol)
Seeding according to skill means that every so often, there may be a matchup with a person who plays your main better than you. It's a fact of life.

I'm off of school for a month, so I would gladly help you out.

Aibou

Smash Master
Seeding according to skill means that every so often, there may be a matchup with a person who plays your main better than you. It's a fact of life.
Don't worry, I was only joking lol

And thanks for agreeing to help btw. Means a lot.

Familiar theme huh? lol.

Shadowfirex100/1676-3494-0066/ Falcon, Meta Knight, and Ike if there is no character limit.
No there is no limit. Adding you now.

EDIT: Shadowfire what's your online tag?

Cleo555

Smash Cadet
Cleo555/HETHR/4167-4425-2362 /Bowser or Marth or Metaknight (it depends on my mood really =P)
I'd like to join if i could. I just dont think id have a way to chat with my opponents between matches X.X Alsooo when exactly is this tournament..? sorry im new to this whole thing. how are u gonna decide the skill of someone who just joined like me? Sorry if im a bother :ohwell:

Aibou

Smash Master
Cleo555/HETHR/4167-4425-2362 /Bowser or Marth or Metaknight (it depends on my mood really =P)
I'd like to join if i could. I just dont think id have a way to chat with my opponents between matches X.X Alsooo when exactly is this tournament..? sorry im new to this whole thing. how are u gonna decide the skill of someone who just joined like me? Sorry if im a bother :ohwell:
Hmm...I forgot about brand new members. Since I didn't mention it, I'll let you in. I expect you to be responsible though ok? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Communicate through name tags in the character selection screen if you cannot chat between matches. And the tourney will not start until we have at least 16 people. Then I'll put the deadlines up.

After you, I will NOT let anyone that is NOT a SMASH APPRENTICE or higher into this tourney. Like I said, I'll let you in because I forgot to mention those restrictions in the OP. But I expect responsibility.

Aibou

Smash Master
Crap, old friend code. New one- 3824-8826-1903.
Kofu/YoAto/3480-2408-7824/:jigglypuff::ganondorf::bowser:
Currently adding all three. Boy, this tourney is filling up faster than I expected it to...

sammy p

Smash Lord
Hmm...I forgot about brand new members. Since I didn't mention it, I'll let you in. I expect you to be responsible though ok? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Communicate through name tags in the character selection screen if you cannot chat between matches. And the tourney will not start until we have at least 16 people. Then I'll put the deadlines up.

After you, I will NOT let anyone that is NOT a SMASH APPRENTICE or higher into this tourney. Like I said, I'll let you in because I forgot to mention those restrictions in the OP. But I expect responsibility.
ill help you whip him into shape if you need me to sir :mad: jk

LeviNifty

Smash Ace
Ill join too :) dont worry i red the rules this time :laugh:

LeviNifty/Levi/ 5198 3883 4301/ Jigglypuff

Aibou

Smash Master
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom