• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Close Combat: A Hand to Hand Tourney! CONGRATULATIONS TO SONIC STORM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
What's so hard making it a random bracket? @_@
Random brackets never make anyone happy. Try hosting an offline tourney without a bracket seeded to skill, then get back to me.

Real talk though: Seeded brackets ensure the best players face off against each other, which only makes the tourney better.

Cleo555

Smash Cadet
Random brackets never make anyone happy. Try hosting an offline tourney without a bracket seeded to skill, then get back to me.

Real talk though: Seeded brackets ensure the best players face off against each other, which only makes the tourney better.
Yeah noobs have rights too! :bee:

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
YES! Finally! I've tried to put this (no projectiles) into action with my friends in Friendly play, but they all think it's stupid...

Neherazade / Nhrzd (subject to change) /4983-4637-1628 / :marth: :ganondorf: :ike:

EDIT: added ike

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Yeah noobs have rights too! :bee:
There is one sure way to earn a higher seed. Win. :p

YES! Finally! I've tried to put this (no projectiles) into action with my friends in Friendly play, but they all think it's stupid...

Neherazade / Nhrzd (subject to change) / FC in postbit / :marth: :ganondorf:
And you couldn't copypasta your FC like everyone else because...

Aibou

Smash Master

Neherazade / Nhrzd (subject to change) / FC in postbit / :marth: :ganondorf:

Members who are below Smash Apprentice may not enter unless someone vouches for them. Did you read the OP?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
All I know of Twilight is that he's a beast Ganon that took 4th in a well-known 50+ man tournament.

Facing Ganondorf has never been more terrifying now.

Aibou

Smash Master
All I know of Twilight is that he's a beast Ganon that took 4th in a well-known 50+ man tournament.

Facing Ganondorf has never been more terrifying now.

I officially have immense respect for Twilight Prince. *bows to Twilight Prince*

Y HALO THAR

Me and my pingas shall join

Conspiricy (Sykkamorre) / Baron / 0431-3727-7492 / :ganondorf:

oh ****, TP! *cowers*
Entering you. Two more to go.

TP

Smash Master
Hi Sykk! Good to see you around.

Sonic Storm, that tourney was really just me outsmarting all my opponents, not outplaying them. I planned the entire day out, spying on everyone during friendlies for their strengths and weaknesses, then picked stages I knew they would suck on. After that tourney, people figured me out and starting playing smarter against me, so I have had little success recently. I also think I have gotten worse since then due to my freshman year of college laughing at the concept of practice.

Aibou, thanks. :)

Shadowfire, it's been awhile. Your Falcon remains the best I have ever played. I'll see you in the finals lol.

:034:

Aibou

Smash Master
UPDATE: Corneria was just removed from the CP stages due to the Arwings and the random lasers from the Starfox ship.

Also, a notification to all competing. I understand that the Winter Break is approaching. However, if you sign up, you are not exempt from doing your match. So if you have any travel plans that will prevent you from playing, then withdraw now because I will extend dates for no one. There will be no matches required on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day of course, but other than that, no extensions. If you are too busy to compete, then don't bother entering.

I just want full responsibility in this tourney. Please be understanding people.

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman

Members who are below Smash Apprentice may not enter unless someone vouches for them. Did you read the OP?
hmmm... I read it, but i was in a rush. cuz someone needed the computer. :urg:

I officially retract my entry... T.T

Aibou

Smash Master
Aibou, thanks. :)

No, thank you for being a great Ganon player! I mained Ganon in Melee but I just couldn't get a grip on him in Brawl. Not really because he's bad, but more because of how much he's changed. He's so much slower and sluggish than in Melee. So that being said, it's really inspiring to see strong Ganon players. I hope I play you in the tourney (I'll lose probably, MK and all :laugh: )

@Neherazade: Become a Smash Apprentice by posting more and join. I don't exactly remember the post amount you need (I think it's 75 or something like that). Technically, I cannot turn you away after that. ;)

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Here's the scoop: Meaning that there will be no projectiles in this tournament
Darnit, how am I supposed to camp now?

:pikachu2: Pika...
*sigh* Maybe next time Pikachu.

-ONLY MEMBERS THAT ARE A SMASH APPRENTICE OR HIGHER CAN JOIN UNLESS I, OR ANOTHER RELIABLE MEMBER VOUCH FOR YOU!
:( Surely somebody here can vouch for me, despite the fact that I don't spam enough to have an arbitrary number under my post count.

Assuming I can get somebody to vouch for me, I'll post my info here. So I can get seeded at the bottom and get my butt blown out of here in the first round.

ElNoNombreHombre/ENNH/3523-1913-1868/:marth:

With the caveat that Sunday/Early Monday are not going to be good for me, as I'll be [preparing for/recovering from/(null)] traveling to within 20 miles of a decent cheesesteak (i.e. back home) for winter break. Optimally, I'd be back by about 12:00pm EST Monday (though I could back in buisness as fast as I can get home from Philly International and set my Wii back up, my flight arrives nearly midnight, Sunday/Monday EST, assuming no delays). After that there are no problems. I just hope the 24-36 hour absence won't be too much of an issue. If it is will be, consider my entry withdrawn.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
:( Surely somebody here can vouch for me, despite the fact that I don't spam enough to have an arbitrary number under my post count.

Assuming I can get somebody to vouch for me, I'll post my info here. So I can get seeded at the bottom and get my butt blown out of here in the first round.

ElNoNombreHombre/ENNH/3523-1913-1868/:marth:
List of byes
Okay, here is why this post is a little wrong.

First, you don't have to spam your way into becoming a Smash apprentice. However, it is more indicative of activity on the boards. I easily could have over 2500 posts if not for the fact that I post in the M&G, for instance.

The greatest factor that the post count has IMHO is it shows the commitment to improve your game, at the very least. As opposed to repeatedly posting in the NNMFA asking for a match, but then never analyzing your play afterwards (viz your not taking your tapes to the Character boards and asking how to improve. If you don't have the supplies for this, ask me and I'll help you out.) I post primarily in two areas without post count and I still have about 1000. So, no spam, and no johns.

Secondly, as I am helping Aibou make the bracket, your seed would be fairly low compared to those who have entered.
Which means nothing but heartbreak for you.
It is what is...

Aibou

Smash Master
Darnit, how am I supposed to camp now?

:pikachu2: Pika...
*sigh* Maybe next time Pikachu.
That's the point of the tourney. No stupid camping/projectile spamming.

EDIT: DAYUM Kazoo! You brute!

Though honestly, Kazoo, I think I can easily call you my "Co-TO". You're being very helpful.

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Aaight. Seeing as I forgot to wrap everything in one big massive [sarcasm] tag, I'd like to nip this in the bud before anyone gets the wrong idea. (Broken point by point for coherence, not so much to nitpick).

That's the point of the tourney. No stupid camping/projectile spamming.
That was a dig at myself, not an actual complaint. I neglected to add the ;).

But as you've said before: "Jokes fail on the Internet."

First, you don't have to spam your way into becoming a Smash apprentice. However, it is more indicative of activity on the boards. I easily could have over 2500 posts if not for the fact that I post in the M&G, for instance.
Eh, I don't disagree, but at this point in time, it's hard to contribute anything to any board in question that I have interest in. Either everyone knows more than I do, or I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. I try to avoid "me too" posts. I only say something if I really can have something to say.

But seriously, saying spam was a joke. I just have a bad habit of lurking and observing, even if I do have something to say on a particular matter. Introvert FTL.

The greatest factor that the post count has IMHO is it shows the commitment to improve your game, at the very least.
Fair enough.

But riddle me this: Why the crap do you think I would have even attempted to enter a tournament that I'm sure you know that I know that I have no chance of winning?

As opposed to repeatedly posting in the NNMFA asking for a match,
Which isn't the above how? If it's "you need to play people IRL" I was going to join a local group at school but workload + room reservation drama put the kabosh on that.

but then never analyzing your play afterwards (viz your not taking your tapes to the Character boards and asking how to improve.
Now, hold the phone a minute. You don't think I do this [analyzing my play]? At all?

Don't have homebrew because I accidentally updated before checking to make sure it wouldn't' get nuked, and it did. I have not put it back on yet.

If you don't have the supplies for this, ask me and I'll help you out.)
Already ahead of you. I should be receiving a setup similar to yours tomorrow. There was a reason I asked you a few annoying questions.

And believe me, once it arrives, your prior point above was going to be taken care of right quick.

Which means nothing but heartbreak for you.
If I really, honestly, truly cared, I wouldn't have even posted interest

Ah, well. Can't blame someone for trying, I guess.

TP

Smash Master
If he was willing to put that much time into defending himself, he's worthy of being in the tourney. We normally don't trust people with low post counts because they often do not show up for their matches. He's clearly dedicated enough to be trusted.

sammy p

Smash Lord
it is just one opinion, but i also believe that neherazade can be trusted to get his matches done on time. i see him on quite often and talk to him a bit myself, i will make sure he will get them done.
(although this IS only one persons opinion, so i COMPLETELY understand if you think otherwise aibou)

kingdom-triforce

Smash Journeyman
Well if there's any room left, I'll give this a shot.

kingdom-triforce/(Ummm....I don remember. Haven't played in a long time...)/0903-4340-4762 /:random:

Maybe I'll finally have a reason to turn my Wii on again. :estatic:

Aibou

Smash Master
If he was willing to put that much time into defending himself, he's worthy of being in the tourney. We normally don't trust people with low post counts because they often do not show up for their matches. He's clearly dedicated enough to be trusted.

it is just one opinion, but i also believe that neherazade can be trusted to get his matches done on time. i see him on quite often and talk to him a bit myself, i will make sure he will get them done.
(although this IS only one persons opinion, so i COMPLETELY understand if you think otherwise aibou)
If you two are willing to vouch for them, then I will let them both join. Note that they will be taking the last two spots in the tourney.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Can I vouch for ElNoNombreHombre?

He does post in the NNMFA a fair bit (142 posts, enough to be Apprentice status) and seems more active than some other failures that entered my tourney. >.>

Does anybody in the OTL remember who I am?
I'm not OTL but I remember you from your old Toilet Roll avatar!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
(142 posts, although still not enough to be Apprentice status I think)
I have 81 posts outside of NNMFA and Regional Zones, and I'm listed as an Apprentice. He has more than enough.

If he is who I think he is from a FFA a few days back, I'll vouch for him as well.

Aibou

Smash Master
Then it looks like Hombre and Neherazade are in. Kingdom-Triforce, I will place you on the waiting list. I've decided against having more than 16 competitors to minimize confusion. So if someone withdraws or doesn't get a match done in time, you can take their place.

Well it looks like the brackets can now be made. Kazoo, if you don't mind getting to work. Though when you're finished, I'd like to see it first via PM before it's officially posted.

TP

Smash Master
I'm not OTL but I remember you from your old Toilet Roll avatar!
So many people called me Toilet Paper that I was like sure what the hell. Nowadays, I enter IRL tournaments using random words that start with T and P. I entered one tournament as Triumphant Pony, and another as Teal Pillow. I plan to enter the next one as Ticklish Prostate, at the request of a friend. :laugh:

Good to see that this tournament is getting off to a quick start. Slowness kills tournaments all the time.

Aibou

Smash Master
Good to see that this tournament is getting off to a quick start. Slowness kills tournaments all the time.

Seriously. It hasn't even been a full day since I started this tourney. It definitely filled up much faster than I expected. And with more than I expected as well. :eek:

I <3 all of you for joining, and doing so quickly. Thank you all for joining! :love:

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Before I go into my bracket making lair, I need to clear up a few things.

Eh, I don't disagree, but at this point in time, it's hard to contribute anything to any board in question that I have interest in. Either everyone knows more than I do, or I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. I try to avoid "me too" posts. I only say something if I really can have something to say.
There have been many who have said that they can't find much to capture their interest on the boards. I don't want to say "no johns" for this, but yeah, I kinda have to.

Case in point: I joined this site as soon as I knew about it, but didn't have a shred of experience in Melee or Brawl (let alone even having the games!) So, I went for the first thing that I found interesting--the debate hall. My being there is what really inspired me to be active on the boards. Find your niche (trust me, there is one), and your interest (and post count) will go up.

But seriously, saying spam was a joke. I just have a bad habit of lurking and observing, even if I do have something to say on a particular matter. Introvert FTL.
No worries. High post count!= spam, that's for sure (most of the time.)

Fair enough.

But riddle me this: Why the crap do you think I would have even attempted to enter a tournament that I'm sure you know that I know that I have no chance of winning?
Quitters never win and winners never quit!

The point of playing any tourney is to improve your your skill. Hopefully, in the process, you win as well. The worst thing to do is to have a defeatist attitude about it...

Which isn't the above how? If it's "you need to play people IRL" I was going to join a local group at school but workload + room reservation drama put the kabosh on that.
No, no, no. Play people here as needed. However, be sure to get critiqued on your play as needed.

Now, hold the phone a minute. You don't think I do this [analyzing my play]? At all?

Don't have homebrew because I accidentally updated before checking to make sure it wouldn't' get nuked, and it did. I have not put it back on yet.
No, I am not implying you don't analyze your play. Apologies for the confusion.

If you have been having 4.2 problems, they now have a workaround for that. Be sure to check out the homebrew site for more...

Already ahead of you. I should be receiving a setup similar to yours tomorrow. There was a reason I asked you a few annoying questions.

And believe me, once it arrives, your prior point above was going to be taken care of right quick.
No question you asked me about the HD PVR was annoying
using up my PMs was however. :laugh:

Good to see you will be recording soon.

If I really, honestly, truly cared, I wouldn't have even posted interest

Ah, well. Can't blame someone for trying, I guess.
Interest=!attempt in the OTL unfortunately.

Many will show interest and enter, but don't play matches. I am not saying this is your case, but it needed to be said.

Brackets will be up shortly...

Aibou

Smash Master
aww. Can i be on the waiting list? or can you add 1 more braket with a little jump thingy? ><
I could put you on the waiting list, though there is very little chance that you will play. I'll add you in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom