• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Power Rankings are as follows:

Denver
Steamboat
Littleton
Dinosaur
Arvada
Centennial
Aspen
Vail
Grand Junction

Fluxus

Smash Cadet
Lol.

Also, Jeris and his bro need to get out to the tournies. Dekar is #1 in NM, and I'm sure someone else here besides me can take him.

Underload

Lazy

Morrison!
Denver
Steamboat
Littleton
Dinosaur
Arvada
Centennial
Aspen
Vail
Grand Junction
Fixed it for ya, man.

Lol.

Also, Jeris and his bro need to get out to the tournies. Dekar is #1 in NM, and I'm sure someone else here besides me can take him.
I totally forgot about Jeris and his brother! God ****, they're so good.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
God **** timotee is so funny.

@Ferdi - I completely agree that NM is rather predictable - you guys try to exploit that predictability. Earlier in the day i was a *ussy because even though I was the one posting all the "$20 best of 5 mm?" I wouldn't actually go through with it. I was thoroughly scared of all of you because I immediately saw that you spent your time with mindgames not tech skill. That's why I didn't mm ergadis, because I had the mindset of losing.

But here's the thing. You're still weird. When I say in the earlier paragraph "you guys try to exploit that predictability," you don't succeed. Within the first 2 matches of playing Lovo, he already predicted my spot dodges and my constant ledgehops from th eedgge. Within the first two matches of playing you, you already predicted my spot dodges and knew that everytime you dthrow with marth, I don't tech, so you follow up with a tipper.
you guys should be ****** me - but it didn't him. I spent the rest of the day playing super aggressively and grabbing a lot (it seems that CO is rather vulnerable to grabbing, sorry), and later in the day I was winning when I shouldn't have. Just because I'm aggressive doesn't mean my predictability goes away.

Excluding all the mindgames/predictability/tech skill arguments, you guys still play melee weird. It's an ALIEN playstyle.

@Underloaded, I'm being VERY judgmental and I concede that. You'll have to oust my utter ignorance of CO's awesome skill by coming down May 30th ;)

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Kirbster is a she from NM, and she isn't nice. =( =( =(

And now I have to edit because I forgot to write the other part I meant to post for:

Yang- I forgot to shout out to you, I'm sorry. Your Tarot destiny had like 20 tippers in it! I now have more faith in Tarot readings.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So before I forget to ask again, who all is wanting to go to NM on the 30th for Barlw/Meleee? I'd really like to not be the only person, if only for the fact that my car's a/c doesn't work...
Hrm, I've never gone out of state for Brawl - but it sounds fun. I might tag along if you have an extra seat. :D

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice

Underload

Lazy
Aww man, I know exactly how you feel. I'm 15 and I'm east Indian...so you can imagine the personality of my parents too =/
Even though everyone else from NM thinks it sucks, I like it because it helps me.
When I say it, I mean http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=204660
14 and my parents are Polish. Not AS bad, probably, but still pretty strict and overprotective. The guide helped a bit, but I really just don't want to go this time. I have a tourney this Saturday, and one on the 6th, Smash 3 weeks in a row is kind of a turn-off. If I can pull a heavy load this last week of school and get straight A's, I'll consider asking.

Ravin

Smash Lord
Lol Next time yang asks for one, ill say the ten of swords is predicting many tippers in your future.

Smartass.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Hey, how the hell was I supposed to know it was a dragon themed tarot deck? I've seen people doing the readings before and hadn't seen dragons, so seeing a ton of dragons was surprising!

Also, you don't need to claim that. Yang already knows how many tippers are in his future, he counted them once.

Ravin

Smash Lord
Haha. It just is whatever you are comfortable with :p

... I do recal yang had like.. seven sword cards in his reading.

Tippers indeed :D

korgoth

Smash Rookie
i have a lot of free time this summer most likely and i'd be down to smash some more with everyone. I'll check in here more often and see whats up.

Sounds like there was a tournament of sorts recently and it sounded pretty fun... always good to hear.

Dekar173

Justice Man
So, who all is coming down from CO? We muststtstst do crew battles!!!

Also, if no MK mains are coming to the tourney, I'm gonna go ahead and ban him, as well as institute that CG rule you guys were using at the C3 tourney.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
We find CO very "slow." Not slow per se, as I've seen you guys work extremely fast in certain situations (just look at Ferdi's tech skill). Most of you seem to sit back and wait and sometimes even do that in your shield like its brawl. However, your patient style elicits a never-before-felt pressure on your opponent, one that somehow disables our tech skill.
Haha, yeah. We've learned how to force people to play at our pace. Rafa was the first one I remember really doing it. It messes with people that don't know how to change tempos or force their own speed.

Another thing is your "slowed-down combos." Bear with me here. I've seen this multiple times, where your opponent is in hitstun and you're right next to them. Normally you would continue the combo and attack, but you wait and somehow that waiting elicits an even more devastating finish.
Knowing how the stun works allows for stupid things in Melee. However, in my Doc's case, the slowed down combos aren't necessarily because I know what I'm doing. It's because I'm just not good with him yet.

Another part of this is positional advantage. Sometimes, ending a combo with the opponent in a BAAAD position is better than doing 30% more damage. Though if you're at cg/combo percents and I fthrow/bthrow you randomly, it's because I messed up. I've been doing that a lot. D:

Another thing Steven and I see is that you just "run past your opponent" when you should simply attack them on the spot. If i'm hiding in my shield, normally you would either dashgrab or predict our spot dodge and dash attack. But you guys instead run PAST our shield and "wait."
Again, it's about positional advantage, at least for me. If I'm behind you and your shield is up, you can't do anything aside from shine out of shield as Fox/up b as Link, or dsmash outta shield as Peach. Beyond that, most characters are forced to take actions that can be responded to on pure reaction, rather than guesswork. Essentially, we're eliminating the need to guess. There are plenty of ways to prevent it, but if you guys aren't doing it, there's no reason to stop, amirite?

I honestly don't think you guys are pulling off mindgames that are beyond our level to comprehend, it's just a matter of the fact that we are alien to your playstyle. The strangest thing about your melee ways is that everything i've listed up there WORKS FOR YOU, and those kinds of things just SHOULDN'T work in general.
I think your biggest problem is that you're in the mindset that most of CO was before we had Forward come down (up?). You're focusing on pure technical prowess and speed. It works against scrubs, and it works against El Paso (LOLOLOL), but on higher levels, players know what is good in what situation, and can punish predictable play no matter HOW fast you are. I think we could afford to speed up a little bit, but I don't know if we're ready for it right now. I mean, all of us can play fast, but we don't really have a need for it right now because we aren't facing competition that necessitates it.

Except Erg. ****er is everywhere.

I dunno, you play slower and really don't throw out many attacks, but it's all so psychic that it hits. Maybe the correct sentiment is just "CO plays Melee well".

Example: Ferdi dash-attacked a Marth with Fox. Normally one would expect Fox to just utilt > aerial or whatever else. But Ferdi just stood there for a moment, then did a slow dash dance and upsmashed. It connected. Weird and sexy.
When we come down for NM (assuming I go), I'll try to explain what I do and why, as far as the psychic stuff goes, particularly vs Falcon. I'm sure you noticed how often I nailed you outta your approaches with fsmash. Part of it is just understanding how priority works, and using it to exploit predictable approaches, no matter how "good" they are.

Denver
Steamboat
Littleton
Dinosaur
Arvada
Centennial
Aspen
Vail
Grand Junction
BWAHAHAHAHA!

Durango is SO BAD they don't count.

But here's the thing. You're still weird. When I say in the earlier paragraph "you guys try to exploit that predictability," you don't succeed. Within the first 2 matches of playing Lovo, he already predicted my spot dodges and my constant ledgehops from th eedgge. Within the first two matches of playing you, you already predicted my spot dodges and knew that everytime you dthrow with marth, I don't tech, so you follow up with a tipper.
you guys should be ****** me - but it didn't him. I spent the rest of the day playing super aggressively and grabbing a lot (it seems that CO is rather vulnerable to grabbing, sorry), and later in the day I was winning when I shouldn't have. Just because I'm aggressive doesn't mean my predictability goes away.
Keep in mind that your victories were later in the day, as people started to get lazier/sandbag/joohnnnnnzzz.

You're Falcon, you **** well better be grabbing.

Also, don't forget that I won every single match vs you, regardless of how far ahead you were. Clutch play is huge, and NM kinda rolls over and dies when **** gets real. Also, CO takes things more seriously as matches get closer, so don't be surprised if the guy you were beating/almost beating comes around and 3 stocks you the next round.

But NM already knows that, knamean?

Excluding all the mindgames/predictability/tech skill arguments, you guys still play melee weird. It's an ALIEN playstyle.

@Underloaded, I'm being VERY judgmental and I concede that. You'll have to oust my utter ignorance of CO's awesome skill by coming down May 30th ;)
I can see whatcha mean by weird. Wait until you play Jeris. Y'know, the ******* that combos into misfires? Or any of our players that are under the influence. You think we're weird now? You have no idea what stupid **** we pull sometimes.

So, who all is coming down from CO? We muststtstst do crew battles!!!

Also, if no MK mains are coming to the tourney, I'm gonna go ahead and ban him, as well as institute that CG rule you guys were using at the C3 tourney.
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Maybe I'll get to play you wif mah main after all. I'm going to see if I can scrounge up cash for this.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
You don't have a main, you're a crazy bastid. Also, this pic is important, to understand how awesome I am, and how bad Cliche is:

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
Alright, really late on shout-outs. Y'all can blame basketball and Dragon Quest V...

Lots and LOTS of Dragon Quest V

Steve - I love you too! <3

Tim - I love you! Thanks for sponsoring me for this tournament, and my fuds, and basically forcing me to come along! Now, about that Shoryu-cake...

Tony - Thanks for running the tourny. But it looks like all the Andre cards have seen stolen by villain Tim Charleston Chew!

TyOver9000 - We make a pretty cool team! Thanks for the partnering up, buddy, I hella enjoyed! Forget parties next time and hang out with the really cool guys. Us! :D Good games! Good games! I really enjoy playing with you, hilarity always seems to ensue and I can't help but scream like a ninny!

Ferdi + Yang - Double Snaaaaaaaaaaaaake! Norfaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiirr!!! Good games, good games!

Nite - So when I get back next week, we're gonna learn how to make money off Togas and Matrix cars. You are one crazy fool to talk to 1 on 1 for an extended period. I lol'd lots.

Don - Went home and became a family man. Guile smiled. (At least you still have T3H PH1R3!!!!!!!!)

Erg - Monkey see, monkey do. I lurve that about Erg. But I stole'd the chair for DFG :( But I apologize for nothing!

Meno - Waved to me, so I waved back. And even more, and then I did it with my eyes closed. Then Meno said hi and I loved him for 15 days. I watched a few of your matches, and you seem to be getting more and more crafty. :D goods stuff

Flux - Meta kniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! Still, some good lessons to be learned tharr. Thanks for the, sadly, one match. You crazy Mexican *******!

Ravin - Is twoo. But you always tells me to pick T3H SN4K3 for reasons I'm not exactly sure of. Well you have about two more tournaments to catch me on for that! :D

New Mexico - Are a bunch of pretty awesome Chipolte loving guys, and one really loves Nantucket Juice. Now we know your weakness! Hoo hoo hoo! But for real, though I said it through dinner, thanks for showing up fellows! I learned a lot from the experience. Too bad I won't be utilizing it too much :( but it's definitely in my brain, Dekar! Don't you worry!

R.O.B. - That'll do bot... that'll do...

To people who let me borrow their controllers - Thanks! I was unexpectedly put into going to the tournament.

To the guy who played Vega on SF4 - Veeeeegaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

To anyone who I missed - Blame on the Dragon, characters totin' wagons, blame it on the Warrior, RPG-like voyeur, blame it on the Dra-a-a-a-a-agon baby! On the Wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-arrior!

To everyone -

Ravin

Smash Lord
@ Flux - I could do that.

The videos might take longer. I am really sick and having issues breathing. I am going to see a doctor in the morning.

Top Bottom