• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPETITIVE Brawl+: Code Agenda

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Lightning Jab is in B3.
Bowser also receives a special code to buff him in B3.
Metaknight also receives a nerf in B3.
Awesome! This news is quite exciting! :D

Especially the nerfing of the caped beast!

edit: because I'm mathematically gifted, what % value of hitstun is in Beta 2, it's 0.485 Hitstun?

I know we don't use %s, but I still understand them better that way, thanks!

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
So how do you make your own individual character jump alterations? Is it easy? I want each character to get the attention they deserve, but I like MuBa's set too much. I don't understand why it is considered so outlandish, it may be faster than Kupo's and Mookie's sets, but its still light years away from facing Brock. Wait thats not right, I meant its still not as fast as Melee and it plays great.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know what R Attack (from the list of character action values) modifies? I don't have access to my Wii right now, so I can't find out by trial and error. I'm assuming that S-attack is forward tilt, so I have no clue what R stands for. Also, I do not see values for special attacks. Does this mean no (slightly) sped up falcon punches?

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Does anyone know what R Attack (from the list of character action values) modifies? I don't have access to my Wii right now, so I can't find out by trial and error. I'm assuming that S-attack is forward tilt, so I have no clue what R stands for. Also, I do not see values for special attacks. Does this mean no (slightly) sped up falcon punches?
I wouldn't know because I don't play with codes a lot but it might be reverse or running

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Muba's set is so unnecessary. Last I tried it, fast fall was way to high, and dash speed really doesn't need much of an increase. Beta 2 is perfect--- rather Beta 3 will be. Either way, both are better than Muba's set.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Muba's set is so unnecessary. Last I tried it, fast fall was way to high, and dash speed really doesn't need much of an increase. Beta 2 is perfect--- rather Beta 3 will be. Either way, both are better than Muba's set.
I'll be sure to try out Beta 3 as it would be dumb to not try out all the options, but I really like the speed of MuBa's except the fast fall which you mentioned is a problem.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
People mention fixing the tech window in Brawl+. I thought that it couldn't be fixed due to the way Brawl handles the teching window with its code, at least I thought PW said that.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
People mention fixing the tech window in Brawl+. I thought that it couldn't be fixed due to the way Brawl handles the teching window with its code, at least I thought PW said that.
I think the problem is that the values are so well hidden in the game that PW simply can't make the code. Apparently, it's not at all easy to find. He said if he finds it, he can do it, but one could spend days rummaging through code before they find it-- if they find it.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Goodoldganon, you're a ****. :)

Open your set in a recent version of Code Manager and you'll see a little x / 256 counter in the bottom right.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
You told him with sass to count, he didn't need to. I was just playing on you calling yourself a ****. No hard feelings.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I was totally offended and will probably never come to post on these boards again if jerks like SHeLL roam the board....

What am I talking about I can't be mad at SHeLL, he's a fellow stomp enthusiast.

EDIT: Same Cooler. I'm still using it in Beta 3, bugs or not it makes the game hella more fun.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
I was totally offended and will probably never come to post on these boards again if jerks like SHeLL roam the board....

What am I talking about I can't be mad at SHeLL, he's a fellow stomp enthusiast.

EDIT: Same Cooler. I'm still using it in Beta 3, bugs or not it makes the game hella more fun.
Seriously, was having fun with Falcon. On battlefield I would knee someone on the right platform then run off at super speed and knee again. Caused 50% KO's :D

Dan_X

Smash Lord
seeing as how I don't need the "fluff" between between the two lines of code, could I just remove it? and would the code still work?

Ganon Jab Code, by Giza
065A9400 00000030
FF000018 ARIALLAG ]
FF000074 LEDGELAG ]
FF00000A JUMPSTAR ]--( delete these? If not, what value be inserted as I'm not using these just yet)
FF000075 LEDGEINV ]
FF000061 UKEMROLL ]
14000024 40000000

Anyway, for this code to work, do I need the frame speed engine on? I'm assuming yes. But, do I?

Alopex

Smash Ace
You'd have to change the first line Orca. The second portion of it is the number of lines of code past the first line, times 8. Then in hex.

So if you only leave the last line in, the first line needs to be modified so that the second portion has:

1*8=8

8 in hex = 8, so 00000008

So final:
065A9400 00000008
14000024 40000000

Makes sense?

Alopex

Smash Ace
I have two questions about the Action List.

Value 03B is "Release" - Is this the animation the grabber receives when the opponent escapes, in other words, the Grab Break animation?

Value 040 is "Escape" - Seems that this value is the one used for the Grab Release animation of the grabbee. My question is, does it only affect the ground release animation or the air release animation as well?
If it's ground release only, is there a value for the air release in the Action List? Can it be created?

Alopex

Smash Ace
Oh perfect, thanks a lot Almas. Then I can change ground releases, air releases, and grab break animation lengths.

One more thing though:

For character ID, is there not an "All" value if I want to apply something to every character? That would save lines. For the OP, I would gather that there is, but I'm not seeing listed here: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5950239&postcount=174

And what does the Character ID Fix code do?

Alopex

Smash Ace
Ah, perfect. Thanks.
Now I've got all the tools I need. I'll be back in a jiffy with a more accurate grab release fix code. The one in the OP isn't accounting for everything yet.

Almas

Smash Lord
Thanks, Alopex. I was actually going to work on that myself, but having a pleb... err someone else... do it will save me a lot of effort.

Apparently Ness/Lucas need their ground release at 1.333x to keep them on par with everyone else. I can't find out about Wario's one...

Bowser could still use his grab release advantage, and it doesn't lead into infinites like with others.

Alopex

Smash Ace
I have all the frame data with me. There was a post in the Tactical Discussion board that had all the values for all releases and breaks for all characters. So I'm using those values and then doing to math to find out the multipliers needed by each individual character.

The baseline is 30 frames. The goal is to have everyone's release and break animations last 30 frames.

I'm going to include Bowser in there for the sake of being unbiased. Thus, an ubiased universal 30 frame value.
I also don't think an arbitrary grab release advantage should be part of character balancing. We have the tools now to tweak a lot of other, more vital character issues.

EDIT: Also, I like to think of myself rather as a proletariat. Just sounds cooler.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I have all the frame data with me. There was a post in the Tactical Discussion board that had all the values for all releases and breaks for all characters. So I'm using those values and then doing to math to find out the multipliers needed by each individual character.

The baseline is 30 frames. The goal is to have everyone's release and break animations last 30 frames.

I'm going to include Bowser in there for the sake of being unbiased. Thus, an ubiased universal 30 frame value.
I also don't think an arbitrary grab release advantage should be part of character balancing. We have the tools now to tweak a lot of other, more vital character issues.

EDIT: Also, I like to think of myself rather as a proletariat.
No. I completely disagree with this. We shouldn't be taking away grab release combos for the characters who had them (ie. bowser, yoshi), and we shouldn't be making a character more susceptible to grab releases than they were before for the sake of everyone being even (ie. dk). We should preserve the natural advantages some characters have but remove those that have disadvantages. There is a difference. No single character should be grab released combo'd by everyone, and no single character should be able to grab release infinite anyone. But a character being able to grab release combo characters because their own releasing animation is shorter than others is fine, and adds uniqueness to the character without adding brokenness.

wazgood

Smash Ace
No. I completely disagree with this. We shouldn't be taking away grab release combos for the characters who had them (ie. bowser, yoshi), and we shouldn't be making a character more susceptible to grab releases than they were before for the sake of everyone being even (ie. dk). We should preserve the natural advantages some characters have but remove those that have disadvantages. There is a difference. No single character should be grab released combo'd by everyone, and no single character should be able to grab release infinite anyone. But a character being able to grab release combo characters because their own releasing animation is shorter than others is fine, and adds uniqueness to the character without adding brokenness.
ehh grab releases shouldn't lead to combos in the first place. the grabber should be punished for getting too greedy with grab attacks. If anything the "victim" should get a frame advatage to counterattack

Alopex

Smash Ace
No, it's just broken.

Marth having a guaranteed tipper setup on Ness/Lucas just because of poor programming is not unique. It's broken.

The proof that it's just poor programming lies in the fact that everyone's air release is 50 frames long, except Jiggypuff's. Hers is 49. A 1 frame difference isn't character uniqueness, it's just developmental oversight.

That's what happened to Ness and Lucas and Bowser and DK.

There was plenty of character uniqueness in Melee with the release mechanics there. The Brawl release mechanics have never received praise, because they are broken.

Releases can set up for combo through positioning. They should never cause guaranteed follow-ups that require no skill beyond "grab and wait".

EDIT: And a question via example:

This line makes all characters have a 1 frame jab.
This line makes Zelda have a 3 frame jab.

Will the second line work such that Zelda will have a 3 frame jab but every other character will still have the 1 frame jab as set by the preceding line? Because, technically, the first line also applies to Zelda since it applies to All characters.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I completely disagree. You should not get combos or advantages based off of ****ty programming.
ehh grab releases shouldn't lead to combos in the first place. the grabber should be punished for getting too greedy with grab attacks. If anything the "victim" should get a frame advatage to counterattack
This

Alopex

Smash Ace
The victim getting an advantage is bad, as I'm sure Mookie will come in here and say so (as he's done in the past).

Some characters have throws which are horrible for positioning, whereas their releases are great for it.

This should be a viable tactic.

Which is why releases always have to end neutral. Because the grabber is taking a risk in choosing to forgo the otherwise guaranteed throw, but the grabee has not done anything to deserve an advantage (they got grabbed, that doesn't earn them an advantage no matter how much they button mash...).

This allows the release game to actually be a "game" as opposed to a guaranteed advantage for either side.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
No, it's just broken.

Marth having a guaranteed tipper setup on Ness/Lucas just because of poor programming is not unique. It's broken.

The proof that it's just poor programming lies in the fact that everyone's air release is 50 frames long, except Jiggypuff's. Hers is 49. A 1 frame difference isn't character uniqueness, it's just developmental oversight.

That's what happened to Ness and Lucas and Bowser and DK.

There was plenty of character uniqueness in Melee with the release mechanics there. The Brawl release mechanics have never received praise, because they are broken.

Releases can set up for combo through positioning. They should never cause guaranteed follow-ups that require no skill beyond "grab and wait".
I can tell you read my post. I clearly stated that we should remove the release problem with ness/lucas. A character having frame advantage against every other character in the game is not a problem as long as it is not broken (ie. release chain grabs would be broken; release combos are not). It's no different than any other throw except that it doesn't do damage on its own. Why do you want to take away options?

The characters that need fixing are the ones that a majority of the cast can do something to, not the ones that can do things against other characters. If a character happens to have a grab release or escape that's shorter than the normal amount, then leave it.

Alopex

Smash Ace
I can tell you read my post. I clearly stated that we should remove the release problem with ness/lucas. A character having frame advantage against every other character in the game is not a problem as long as it is not broken (ie. release chain grabs would be broken; release combos are not). It's no different than any other throw except that it doesn't do damage on its own. Why do you want to take away options?

The characters that need fixing are the ones that a majority of the cast can do something to, not the ones that can do things against other characters. If a character happens to have a grab release or escape that's shorter than the normal amount, then leave it.
I did read your post. The problem with it was that you're not understanding your own double standard.

Ness and Lucas only have a problem with Marth because they're release is 40 frames long, Marth's break is only 30, and the Mother Boys don't end far from Marth after the release.

You 're suggesting that we fix that. The only fix there is to reduce their frame length, or remove their "frame disadvantage".

Meanwhile, you're arguing that any other character that has a "frame advantage" (like DK with his 20 frame release) be left entirely alone?

That's a double standard. Technically, Marth has a "frame advantage" against Ness and Lucas, but you don't want to keep that. Instead you want to keep the "frame advantage" that DK has over the entire cast instead.

No matter how you look at it, keeping any sort of frame advantage or disadvantage creates a double standard and results in SUBJECTIVE views over what advantages/disadvantages "should" be kept. A frame advantage doesn't have to be broken to be unfair.

That's a terrible avenue to go down when the universal frame value ensures that no one can be hindered or displeased because everyone is receiving the same treatment.

EDIT: If someone could answer my question on my edit of my post two posts ago, it would be much appreciated

Top Bottom