• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPETITIVE Brawl+: Code Agenda

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Okay that's fine, but MK is a better character in almost every way than Ivysaur. Almost anybody would agree that he's definitely a higher tier than Ivy, and he even has 4 "B" moves instead of 3.

It should be MK that has gimped recovery, not Ivysaur; who is the weaker of the two. It makes a lot more sense.

Not really, no. Give him more winddown, less damage, less knockback, or what have you. Nerfing a character strength is ********, it makes the character, well, not the character.

But what safeguards do we have in place to improve the heavier character's ability to hit? I would say that it is much easier and more common for a lighter character to juggle a heavier character and then knock them off than for the heavier character to land those few much needed hits. I think tournament results have typically shown this.

Superarmor. Timing on part of the player. Massive and longlasting hitboxes. This isn't rocket science. :V

IF he can hit him.

See above comment.

In actuality, they really aren't that much harder to kill. Even if the heaviest character in the game needed 2x much knockback as say the lightest character in the game to kill, their overall bigger size and slower speed more than makes up for this don't you think? It would be different if it was like 3x KB or more to knock them off. Not to mention that in general, the bigger characters have average or below average recovery skills.

Not really, no, I wouldn't say so. Considering that I can see Bowsers living up to and past 160-170% easily while my Jigglypuff usually dies before 100%, and considering that my several hit combos do 40-50% damage while his two-three hit combos do 35-40%, I wouldn't really say so.

Once again, this all sounds good on paper, but if it's true, then why do so many people still complain about how Bowser is so underpowered? The argument is not cohesive.

Because they haven't finished buffing/balancing/fixing him yet? Durp durp? :V

As I said before, there are already several characters that you would probably never consider edgehogging without invincibility frames already. Characters that in general, are much better than those with tether recoveries. So why are the inferior characters being indirectly punished?

In addition, there are many more ways to edgeguard than just edgehogging. Wall of Pain, Meteor Smash, and D-Tilt all come to mind. Think of all of Ike's options...

Because the inferior characters have INFERIOR RECOVERIES. What does "INFERIOR" suggest to you? Equal to metaknight? Because that's not the image I get.

WoP a tether character? With all of two characters, maybe.

Meteor Smash? Let's see you spike an Ivysaur that has a tether so huge that she'll be on the ledge before you get near her.

Dtilt? Have you TRIED dtilting a tether character? How are you supposed to dtilt something 30 feet away?

Okay I'm not sure what type of logic you are using. But if a character is "floaty" then it makes sense that they will "float" in the air, and are therefore extremely easy to combo because they are light and fall so slowly. Like a feather.

...not really. Most combos are juggle combos. If I float, like a feather, they're not going to be able to land and jump back up fast enough to catch me. If I fall like a rock, yes they will.

If you are heavy, like an anvil, then you should be hard to combo because you resist leaving the ground. Like a thousand pound weight.

That's like saying "if I throw a rock in the air, I won't be able to hit it with a bat because it'll never leave the ground". In other words, since I'm hitting you in the air, let's see you "resist leaving the ground" on that.

The only reason you say "floaty" characters should be the ones that escape combos and heavy chars should be the ones caught in them is because you are used too it; not because it makes any sort of sense.

Did I mention that using "sense" to explain video games gives us tripping and stamina? Yes? Good. Also, trying to change a fact that's been consistent throughout many fighting games and the entire Smash franchise isn't really going to do you much good.

Yes but making a heavy move slowly, easy to combo, easy to juggle, and attack slowly is also NOT a smart thing to do. They should have more benefits other than, well, they hit hard.

Not really, no. I can assure you that while Ganon has few combos, he is most definitely not an unviable character. He moves slowly, he's easy to combo, he's easy to juggle, and he attacks pretty darn slowly. He also hits hard. Show me a person who thinks Ganon in B+ is bad and I'll show you someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

That's not enough. And the fact that heavy characters usually have so many bad matchups against light characters just proves it.

Have you ever thought about how a sparrow's smaller size and maneuverability is an advantage in fighting off big crows? It's called an "advantage". They usually, you know, help. And the last I checked, the Brawl+ roster wasn't made up entirely of light characters. Nor was it made up entirely of heavies. This is why people counterpick.

I disagree on HOW you are buffing them.

So far as I can tell, the only way you are buffing them is by making them MORE powerful with MORE knockback.

Yes. That is the point.

Since all my other suggestions like making them move/attack faster, making them harder to combo/juggle, making them receive less hitstun etc. have all been turned down.

You know why they've been turned down? Because using those suggestions would make heavies...not heavies.

You still haven't really explained HOW you are buffing them to put them on the same level with the other characters. Other than like I said before, making them hit harder. Which isn't going to fix it.

Patience.
If you get the reference in this post, you are awesome.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Yes, I already understand that you are buffing heavier characters. You have said that many times.

Yeeep.

And I disagree on how you want to buff them.

So far as I can tell, the only way you are buffing them is by making them MORE powerful with MORE knockback.

lolno. We've given their attacks larger hitboxes you know. :V

Since all my other suggestions like making them move/attack faster, making them harder to combo/juggle, making them receive less hitstun etc. have all been turned down.

Faster attacks breaks their niche and removes a weakness. By making them floaty they become harder to combo, but then they aren't heavy, which breaks their niche. People have complained about bowser being floaty. Characters specific hitstun isnt made yet. Once it's made, I'm sure it will be used for heavies.

And what I'm trying to tell you is that just giving them MORE power isn't going to solve anything.

lollargerhitboxes.

You still haven't really explained HOW you are buffing them to put them on the same level with the other characters. Other than like I said before, making them hit harder. Which isn't going to fix it.

10largerhitboxes.

Wing
:V

An idea you have yet to suggest is having the moves hit sooner, rather than speeding up the move in general. :V

Having moves hit sooner, but still have the same amount of length over all is an idea (ie ganon jab)

Moves that do that (ie work like ganon jab) helps them with pressure.

For example, bowser with a nair that hits on frame 1-3 would help him alot with the "getting combo'd part"

V:

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
If they are heavy, they shouldn't stay in the air very long because well, they're heavy.
What laws of physics are YOU using? Big people stay in the air LONGER due to having more air resistance (negligable, but it goes against your theory quite well.:laugh:) And if you want to go with smash physics then...not being sent as high=less distance with the same launch speed=easier to combo because they suffer the same hitstun without going as far.

Either way you're kinda screwed :)

Once again, obviously people DON'T feel their heaviness. If they really felt heavy they wouldn't be in the air all the time. It makes much more sense that light characters should be in the air all the time.
Heavy=/=FAST FALLER. Fox is a fast faller. Falcon is a fast faller. BOWSER is not a fast faller. Now if you want heaviness...give him some super armor (and make him well...heavier. You know that weight is an actual stat right?)
Heaviness should be manifested in the fact that they are harder to get off the ground.
They ARE. It's called WEIGHT, which is a completely seperate stat that WE DON'T HAVE THE TOOLS TO CHANGE.

So let me get this straight, you think heavy characters should not only be easy to combo, but also forced to attack really slow.
Yep.

It almost sounds like you want them to suck ***.
Potemkin says hi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3uQhPqeAEM

Get *****?
If heavy characters are easy to combo, attack slowly, and are almost always outmatched by faster, lighter characters, then what exactly strength do they have?
They're SUPPOSED to have strength and range. They need to hit like a truck full of boulders. Currently...they just don't

Three things: One, you could probably code it so that it the tether doesn't actually spike them, it just "gently" knocks them off the ledge so you don't fall to your untimely death. Like Samus' tether recovery.
And get rid of their only on stage purpose? (Ivy and Zamus actually USE their up Bs you know) Pass.
Two: You still have the ability to use invincibility frames to edgeguard a tether character, which by the way, isn't hard to do.
Tethers are instant when they lock onto the stage. If you were to make it so that it locks onto the stage as long as I'm not invincible (rather than just being on it like it is now), then they'd simply WAIT for the invincibility to run out and THEN tether. Think these things through before you suggest them.
Three: Maybe you shouldn't be able to edgehog a tether character. As I said before, there are several OTHER characters that are generally not edgehogged because it's too dangerous. You can still edgeguard them in other ways or wall of pain them to their death. I don't see why tether characters get the shaft here. It's not like their ground games are generally good enough to promote that kind of treatment.
ZSS and Olimar would like a SERIOUS word with you. Some of the best ground games in existance and they're not good enough to warrent a bad recovery? Sure let's make a character with NO WEAKNESSES again shall we (vbrawl MK)?
But being comboed should not be a weakness in the first place.
Why not? It's a weakness in every fighting game. It comes with being BIG and having SLOW ATTACKS.
They are heavy. They should be hard to combo.
DEAD WRONG. It is the FLOATY characters that should be hard to combo. The featherweights like JIGGLYPUFF are the ones who are hard to combo. Big meaty tanks SHOULD take a lot of punishment. They simply need more offensive power to balance it out.
I can understand why they would be slow, and to keep that characteristic is fine.

But they should have more advantages than just, "Oh well, they hit hard."
How about, "they don't die as early" or "how did he reach me from over there?"
Well that's nice and everything, but if they attack very slowly, and are extremely easy to combo, it doesn't really matter how hard they hit, they will probably never get a chance.
Sure they will. Ganon lands hits on Mario in melee doesn't he?
So it sounds good on paper, but it doesn't really work out in the actual game.
I just gave you a video example of a slow character being succesful in one of the fastest paced games with the most horrific guard pressure in EXISTANCE, and you say it can't work in practice?
Besides, a heavy character should not be punished by both slow attack and movespeed and ease of combo.
And why not? Being a light chaacter is punished in both low power and early deaths...
Light characters should get fast attack speed and movespeed but are easy to combo.
Why?
Heavy characters should get slow attack speed and movespeed but are hard to combo.
Why?
I mean it's common sense.
It's actually the exact opposite of common sense. Those with slower attacks are easier to combo because they can't get their hits out before the quicker opponent. Those who are more nimble are HARDER to combo because they have better reflexes to avoid followup attacks (ESPECIALLY slow ones). Your way makes less sense than the current version!

Not to mention that hardly anything makes sense in smash in the first place. Character specific fall speed? Whatever happened to gravity being a constant? Characters have the strangest attacks in this game (Marth's up B is him throwing his sword...while holding onto it...to have it pull him up?), slicing moves show no blood, fireballs have less effect than Snake's JAB. Logic doesn't particularly matter. Logic is there for cosmetics alone, it's not a neccesary trait for characters to have. Not to mention your logic is terribly scewed if you believe heavier characters should be harder to hit multiple times in a row than lighter ones. It only makes sense that characters who DON'T GO ANYWHERE would be hit again.

If you truely want a tank, then MAKE A TANK. Tanks are not fast, tanks do not "avoid" combos. They get hit over and over and just shrug it off and deliver one decicive blow. When you deviate from that model, you're no longer making a tank!

Tanks do short combos that make exploding sounds like THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyVEfDhNthM&feature=related

Wavedash Master

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I already understand that you are buffing heavier characters. You have said that many times.

And what I'm trying to tell you is that just giving them MORE power isn't going to solve anything.

Wing
Actually, a recent Nightly Build update has suggested that they may plan to tinker with hitbox size of the slower characters' moves to buff them, not just knockback buffs. (Recent changes show this such as Bowser's uptilt, Ganondorf's back air etc.) This will all in all make their moves more of a punisher and overall better the effectiveness of the slower characters' playstyles.

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
@Dark Sonic: You made a lot of good points and explained yourself very well. I definitely understand where you are coming from.

Actually, a recent Nightly Build update has suggested that they may plan to tinker with hitbox size of the slower characters' moves to buff them, not just knockback buffs. (Recent changes show this such as Bowser's uptilt, Ganondorf's back air etc.) This will all in all make their moves more of a punisher and overall better the effectiveness of the slower characters' playstyles.
This makes a lot more sense. I was just afraid that the only solution being implemented was MOAR POWER, MOAR DAMAGE. Bigger hitbox or faster move execution like GHenko said are definitely a must.

Anyways, that was a fun debate ;p

Hope you give PT those inviciframes to help switching.

Wing

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
@Dark Sonic: You made a lot of good points and explained yourself very well. I definitely understand where you are coming from.
Thank you (ignore the harsh tone I use when debating. I get a little too into these things).

This makes a lot more sense. I was just afraid that the only solution being implemented was MOAR POWER, MOAR DAMAGE. Bigger hitbox or faster move execution like GHenko said are definitely a must.
We're just a little warry of letting such a powerful code get out of hand is all (we don't want more Snake uptilts lol). It's almost like a "last resort" kinda buff. Then again, these slower character just might need our ace in the hole

Hope you give PT those inviciframes to help switching.

Wing
Don't know how.:urg:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Hold R before Death to switch forward 2 pokemon (back 1 pokemon) is more plausible imo.

It gives PT more control over his pokemon and eliminates the need for extra inviciframes to switch out (which can be abused really. :V)

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
lol

10char

It gives PT more control over his pokemon and eliminates the need for extra inviciframes to switch out (which can be abuse really. :V)
Not abuse if it only lasts as long as you can't move.

timothyung

Smash Ace
PT switches fast as hell when I play Brawl off my HDD. :V

It's really not funny how fast he can switch. same for Samus/Zamus and Zelda/Shiek.
Same thing with my flash drive. :^
The bad thing about Brawl's switching system is that it relies on loading speed, which is random, and slow. That's really bad, cause sometimes you can get punished when you switch after a KO, but sometimes not.
Yeah, it's based off of load times and there's really nothing we can do about those.

...and wtf, did Beo just post double swastikas?
Nope, we sure can keep the models loaded. See Mario Galaxy.
And yes, Beo just post double swastikas. And they are 3D.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
I would like to ask a question. As an experienced and honed Brawl+ veteran, I cannot help but have almost trivial amounts of curiosity if you guys will make a Brawl+ tier list, since Brawl+ Tournaments have been increasingly popular. So on to the point, would you be making a Brawl+ Tier List anytime soon?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I would like to ask a question. As an experienced and honed Brawl+ veteran, I cannot help but have almost trivial amounts of curiosity if you guys will make a Brawl+ tier list, since Brawl+ Tournaments have been increasingly popular. So on to the point, would you be making a Brawl+ Tier List anytime soon?
Bold = False, because if you were, then you would know that a B+ tier list will not be made until there is a golden product.

So no. No tier list for a while. Stop asking guys.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Bold = False, because if you were, then you would know that a B+ tier list will not be made until there is a golden product.

So no. No tier list for a while. Stop asking guys.

The FAQ really needs to include this question. I've seen over 9000 people asking for a tier list for Brawl+.

lol

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
More importantly, why does everyone want a tier list so bad?

If the point of the Brawl+ is to make the game as balanced as possible, then the tier list will probably be shifting all the time with every patch and balance change.

Even changing the balance of one character can upset a tier list completely.

I understand that it's typical human nature to make answers for things that we don't completely understand (ie religion).

Instead of trying to rationalize what characters you should play/are worth playing based on some extremely biased list created by other people, why don't you just pretend they are all equally balanced.

Since hopefully, one day they all will be ;)

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I think we really need a constant speed for switches now. Random times should not be acceptable for tourneys, it should be part of the gameplay, not a load time.

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
I think we really need a constant speed for switches now. Random times should not be acceptable for tourneys, it should be part of the gameplay, not a load time.
I completely agree with this.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well, Zelda always takes longer to load than Shiek. Its a preset thing. Even with my HDD its like that.

But IIRC, there was a code that allowed slightly faster switch. Not completely sure. :V

Revven

FrankerZ
But IIRC, there was a code that allowed slightly faster switch. Not completely sure. :V
It only affected the animation, it didn't do anything to the transformation loading time.

Guys, it's just not going to happen, we've had the discussion before, it is impossible. =\

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
And there's no way to give the new pokemon invincibility frames or even super armor frames after they come out?

Surely there has to be something we can do.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
And there's no way to give the new pokemon invincibility frames or even super armor frames after they come out?

Not a good idea. users can take advantage of the increased invicibility. We shouldnt give them an advantage like that.

Backwards swaping control on death is the most suitable.

Revven

FrankerZ

Giving invinc frames is not within our power currently, neither SA frames. Both those solutions are out the window basically (at least right now).

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
Not a good idea. users can take advantage of the increased invicibility. We shouldnt give them an advantage like that.

Backwards swaping control on death is the most suitable.
They can't take advantage of super armor frames though. Besides, I said to only make it last as long as you are helpless. Surely this isn't "taking advantage".

The problem with your idea of being able to switch either forward or backwards on death is that sometimes you need to switch before you die, obviously.

Giving invinc frames is not within our power currently, neither SA frames. Both those solutions are out the window basically (at least right now).
Darn.

What about creating a small explosion near where the pokeball lands? The user should have plenty of time to avoid it, and it will knock them back enough not to be able to "spawn camp" the new pokemon and combo the hell out of them.

It doesn't have to do any % damage, just a small knockback to give the person a fighting chance.

Obviously it doesn't have to be permanent, just a temporary measure until you can figure out something better.

Wing

Revven

FrankerZ
Darn.

What about creating a small explosion near where the pokeball lands? The user should have plenty of time to avoid it, and it will knock them back enough not to be able to "spawn camp" the new pokemon and combo the hell out of them.

It doesn't have to do any % damage, just a small knockback to give the person a fighting chance.

Obviously it doesn't have to be permanent, just a temporary measure until you can figure out something better.

Wing
Can't add hitboxes to what doesn't even have hitboxes. We can only edit what's given and what's there. If something doesn't have a hitbox, it is not possible to add anything like a hitbox to it or even hitbox-like effects.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
You could also just spot dodge the explosion. There doesn't seem to be any straightforward way to make the transformation safer, so I suggest we go for Neko's idea.

JJnew

Smash Cadet
I know you wont probably read all 502 pages but I think there is still missing the CC, crouchcancel

cman

Smash Ace
Can't add hitboxes to what doesn't even have hitboxes. We can only edit what's given and what's there. If something doesn't have a hitbox, it is not possible to add anything like a hitbox to it or even hitbox-like effects.
Couldn't you tell the game to spawn a bo-omb with immediate explosion and modified properties when the pokemon comes out? It wouldn't be adding a hitbox, but instead spawning an item at a comvenient spot. Or do we not have control over items like that yet?Not saying necessarily that we should do this for the pokemon switching thing, btw.

Revven

FrankerZ
Couldn't you tell the game to spawn a bo-omb with immediate explosion and modified properties when the pokemon comes out? It wouldn't be adding a hitbox, but instead spawning an item at a comvenient spot. Or do we not have control over items like that yet?Not saying necessarily that we should do this for the pokemon switching thing, btw.
Don't have control over spawn points of items at this point in time. Also, that is an extremely long way just to add a hitbox, by that point, I would just say to you "**** the idea." because if we would have to resort to an item there's a problem here.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I know you wont probably read all 502 pages but I think there is still missing the CC, crouchcancel
This. CC'ing was one of Bowser's number one tactics in upping his punishing game in melee (Gimpyfish combo, anyone?). The tactic was always a benefit to every character, and helped heavies more than floaties. It would be a great way to add overall balance without having to look at individual matchups.

And it just plain makes sense. There's a reason football players huddle over when running. Staying closer to the ground makes it, you know, harder to push things over.

D

Deleted member

NO

don't bring in real life logic into a game. by that logic we should remove shields, double jumps and lasers.

we had the discussion on CC before and it is NOT coming back.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
This. CC'ing was one of Bowser's number one tactics in upping his punishing game in melee (Gimpyfish combo, anyone?). The tactic was always a benefit to every character, and helped heavies more than floaties. It would be a great way to add overall balance without having to look at individual matchups.
Correction: CCing destroyed matchups in melee and would serve primarily to disrupt the balance we have already fought so hard to establish.

And it just plain makes sense. There's a reason football players huddle over when running. Staying closer to the ground makes it, you know, harder to push things over.
I'm guessing you haven't taken physics. If we're going to go by what "makes sense" then you should be getting launched further when crouching since you would have less inertia, as your legs and arms are being held closer to your center of mass. Inertia is higher when the mass is concentrated away from an object's center. Your body's natural response when you trip is to wave your arms out wildly, not because you're trying to catch something to stop your fall, but to increase your inertia and hopefully prevent you from falling. To really demonstrate this for yourself, grab two weights and hold one in each hand, then start spinning yourself around in a desk chair while holding the two weights out away from your body. Then pull your arms in toward your chest and you'll notice you speed up.

Therefore, I propose we institute a new mechanic to brawl+: Crouch Blundering, or CBing for short, which causes your character to be launched further if they are hit while crouching. Kirby currently dies from an attack at 100%? Make him die at 50% from the same attack if hit while crouching! I think it would really enrich the metagame and give a better sense of realism to it!

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
...daaaang leaf. you just ***** some people.

<3

Character specific CC would probably make the most sense (heavy only lol)

But really, We dont need something like CC because then we'd have to go back and rework alot of stuff. :V

That and our coders are busy.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Therefore, I propose we institute a new mechanic to brawl+: Crouch Blundering, or CBing for short, which causes your character to be launched further if they are hit while crouching. Kirby currently dies from an attack at 100%? Make him die at 50% from the same attack if hit while crouching! I think it would really enrich the metagame and give a better sense of realism to it!
LOL, you're officially my god :laugh:.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
I'm guessing you haven't taken physics. If we're going to go by what "makes sense" then you should be getting launched further when crouching since you would have less inertia, as your legs and arms are being held closer to your center of mass. Inertia is higher when the mass is concentrated away from an object's center. Your body's natural response when you trip is to wave your arms out wildly, not because you're trying to catch something to stop your fall, but to increase your inertia and hopefully prevent you from falling. To really demonstrate this for yourself, grab two weights and hold one in each hand, then start spinning yourself around in a desk chair while holding the two weights out away from your body. Then pull your arms in toward your chest and you'll notice you speed up.

Yes, but leaf, while what you said is true, the real-life application for crouching before receiving an attack is not to increase inertia in order to prevent launching, but rather to brace for impact. Humans usually stand upon two legs, which is an unwieldy and unbalanced position from which it is simple to lose your balance. CCing, or rather, bracing yourself by positioning yourself closer to the ground, allows you to resist an outside force by bracing yourself against an impact, along with balancing yourself far more steadily upon not two legs, but four. Not only that, crouching allows you to lower your center of gravity closer to the ground, meaning that it is harder to tip you over. While inertia is indeed lowered by bringing in your appendages, the fact is that crouching doesn't actually do this (look at snake, for example), and the main purpose of crouching is to lower your center of gravity to be more balanced. A lower center of gravity means a smaller force of gravity vector, meaning that a much greater angle of tilt is necessary in order to cause you to become unbalanced.

Me_Aludes

Smash Apprentice
This would be actually funny :laugh: kupo should add it to the Future codes list NAO!

Top Bottom