• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DA MINDGRAINES: an Overview of Mindgames<----a post the doesn't suck.

Zeke_

Smash Journeyman
this is so true, I have about the same technical skill as my friend, if not better but he always manages to beat me. I win occasionally, but he always out-smarts me, either he tech chases or he takes of advantage of bad DI. Now, thanks to your post you've opened my eyes, Thanks.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
I think I may have posted something different earlier in this thread, but these days I try to avoid the term "mindgames." Although it has its uses, too often "mindgames" are used as an excuse to describe stuff that's difficult to explain, like why Ken is better than Mofo. Better to try and explain the phenomenon without using the word "mindgames," because it gives you a better overall understanding than just pasting something with a label.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
g-reg: It's been a year and I still suck. We played matches at KOTC. You know I don't lie. Please tell me the secret to your godly mindgraines, so my Marth can become uber.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
its all practice son.
i notice you were doing a lot of fsmashes that werent KO's or tippers, just kinda something to hit them with.... not that its bad, a marth that's good with the fsmash isnt a bad strategy and is quite effective on most, everyone will do it including myself. its just that somewhere along the road, you will face someone who will be used to it, and will switch up their game to be prepared for the fsmashes more, and will counter appropriately on the lagtime. that is why you must also be able to switch your game up, so people cant take advantage of stuff. that is a mindgame in itself, to make someone think you are playing a certain style, but to elusively switch it up when it becomes noticable. youre style is good tho, youll start to feel your style become tighter and more refined as you start beating people more consistenly. its all practice son!

btw you, and most all newer smashers are a LOT better than i was after 1 full year of melee playing. its like college transition to a job. college is learning all the info, and then when you get a job, you gotta learn ways to apply that info. proper application comes with experience. in melee,everyone learns the info/tactics, but it really doesnt mean jack if you cant perform and apply in the "real world" (in this case, tourneys). imo getting better in tourney requires many low tourney placings before things turn up.

y2kbakura

Smash Journeyman
hell yes this thread is 100% accurate
anybody that wants to step up their game should defenalty
read this
BTW this should be stikeid

Tinman

Smash Apprentice
Thank you G-Reg. I'm glad to see a non-sarcastic post.

I thought I had mindgames, but I found the empty short hop actually scares my main opponent, making him jump occasionally.

lvl9

Smash Journeyman
I have discovered something that makes it easier to mindgame, something very simple, and way more effective than it should be.

For starters, my Marth is crap. It really is. I just never could get that great with him. However, the other day I was smashing with the rest of the Tupeloopas, and was getting bored. I decided to pick Marth, and instead of trying to win I thought that it would be fun to just make my opponent look as stupid as possible. To tell you the truth, I never would have ever guessed the outcome. All the sudden I was landing tons of tipped fsmashes, off the stupidest things. I noticed more about my opponents play as well. I was tipping people from techs and **** with ease, which is normally something that I have to be focused to do. I was playing n00bishly, but smart, and I was handing out 2-3 stock ***** to people I normally go even with.

But yeah, try that next time you play. Go into the battle thinking only of making your opponent feel stupid. You just might surprise yourself.
dude its marth... try that with pichu :)
not to be mean. I still like you man, Come to INN!!!

cb_marth

Smash Ace
Good post. I think what separates mid level smashers from high level smashers is mindgames (not tech skill), and what further separates high level smashers from the smash elite is just...amazing mindgames.

I might add the "MindGames" definition to the compendium, if I do I'll prob put a link to this post.
I agree with you "Mindgames" is what separates the best from the weak. It's something that takes great skill and time to master. And to get mindgames that will work for you all the time too ha-ha.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Mindgames are what they are because they can never be truly mastered. It's a different feeling you get when you know that you are manipulating the opponent, instead of the opponent manipulating you.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
I have found mindgames to be very important. I myself dont play the best game, but those i play with do. They bring the best mindgames to the table and Im left with tech skill only. Needless to say, I have the most losses between us. My mindgames are a work in progress. So, my advice to everyone, play peeps with close skill lvl and play them often. If both of you play often you are bound to know each others style, therefore forcing you to make some changes. And that my friends is where mindgames begin.

Crimstorne

Smash Rookie
A mindgame that I like using is being samus and charging her energy shot fully they sending a smash-missle, running after it and doing a dash attack, and then releasing my charge.

Crimstorne

Smash Rookie
Mindgames are what they are because they can never be truly mastered. It's a different feeling you get when you know that you are manipulating the opponent, instead of the opponent manipulating you.

ANd it's the greatest when you are aware of your opponent manipulating you! Haha. Don't you guys love super smash bros melee? Do you remember the old comercials for the first one?

Sliq

Smash Master
One thing you have to consider is predictability, because if someone knows what you are going to do (because you do it a lot) you are going to get *****.

This in and of itself creates a pitfall, because someone can consistently get punished by the same technique in order to create predictability in their opponent.

Link is my favorite character to play as because of his projectile game. With it, you can place people where you want them and react accordingly. However, a lot of them take a while to execute or have a lot of lag time.

Anyone smart would get at a medium range, wait for the projectile, and rush link, wither shielding the projectile and then hitting him at close range or before he even throws it.

Now, if you see this happening as Link, what you can do is feint a projectile (short hopping backwards, for example (sh bomb pull or sh boomerang are the usual choices). Now you know that they will rush you, so you can punish them.

By punishing them, however, you ave reinforced that they can't always rush your projectile game, therefore creating uncertainty in your opponent, and hiding an obvious flaw in your character.

Top Bottom