• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Daily Tips On How To Play "Gay"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
It's not running away, its putting you in a bad position

Strategy at its most subtle

NNID
Budget_Player
DMG, I want to play gay. In fact, I want to play PHENOMENALLY GAY against the friends of mine who won't accept the SBR ruleset. You know the kind. He insists we take turn picking stages from ANY stage (including his homemade ones), refuses to turn items off or TA on, and then Johns when I 5-stock him on eldin with king DDD over the chaingrab. He's the kind of player who is just basically setting himself up to get gayed out; I'm not even camping/planking; I'm just counterpicking correctly for a matchup that he can't possibly win as long as he rejects the rules in place to prevent that from happening.

Now the problem is this. It's his console, and whenever I attempt to gay him out, he decides he'd rather play Street Fighter 4, a game I'm terrible at. What do I do?

The true irony is, he's actually pretty good at brawl... or rather would be if he wasn't an utter scrub who mained random. His knowledge of the game is pretty advanced, and he knows a lot about most characters and plays at a pretty good skill level for a person who disagrees with the "winner is better" philosophy (winning by shutting him out with SHDL and a CG doesn't make the falco player better, because it's just one button). I.e he's the most homophobic SSBB player.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Does anyone else think it's kind of immature how we throw around the terms 'gay' and '****' so freely in this community? I'm not gay, and have never been *****, but it's slightly offensive even to me.
I've always found it worrisome myself. Fighting it never seemed like a winning battle to me, though. Vulgarities have always been classist or bigoted in some way. History has already shown that successfully eradicating one horrible usage will only cause another to take its place.

Still, I endeavor to use less offensive words in my own speech when talking about games. It's really hard to do without sounding pedantic or stuck up. It's even harder if you avoid more ingrained and established words like '********.' Nevertheless, if you find the words offensive, don't use them. There's nothing wrong with not using them. Maybe people will even notice and ask you about it. Then you can explain, and hopefully, they'll see things your way.

umad :mad:

How many adults do you ever see throw around these terms as loosely as done on SWF.

NONE

Not being offended doesnt make it mature in the slightest lol. You can get kids these days <10 years old completely desensitised to video game violence and swearing, does that make them mature? lmao. Its like theres two different scales of maturity; 5-16 years old, and 17 onwards. SWF may be 'mature' by the first scale...

sorry to go slightly off-topic... Im not offended by these terms at all, but the last thing they are indicative of is the maturity of SWF haha
First of all, I'm pretty sure he's insinuating that the community is in fact immature. Some may even say stunted.

And if you think adults don't use these words, clearly you've never spoken to a good many adults, but as one who has been an adult for a few years now, I can tell you the outlook doesn't get much better. People just get better at hiding it.

Browny

Smash Hater
First of all, I'm pretty sure he's insinuating that the community is in fact immature. Some may even say stunted.

And if you think adults don't use these words, clearly you've never spoken to a good many adults, but as one who has been an adult for a few years now, I can tell you the outlook doesn't get much better. People just get better at hiding it.
Ive legally been an adult for a few years as well, and no one I ever talk to uses these terms in any other context except when talking about video games. that however, doesnt make it mature in the slightest lol.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I've played against d4ba... and yeah, his wario is sick, but I was able to hold my own in some games. :) You should ask him about me.
Ever had a match where your opponent uses a gay strategy, you adopt that strategy in a similar way, yet do a better job of out gaying your opponent in the end?

bobson

Smash Lord
You should let Plank do a guest week.

How many adults do you ever see throw around these terms as loosely as done on SWF.

NONE
And?
Being an adult does not equate to being mature.

Not being offended doesnt make it mature in the slightest lol. You can get kids these days <10 years old completely desensitised to video game violence and swearing, does that make them mature? lmao. Its like theres two different scales of maturity; 5-16 years old, and 17 onwards. SWF may be 'mature' by the first scale...
Metaknight stalls out the timer against Ganondorf. Someone remarks, "That was so ****ing gay." Two options for a response unfold:
A) You get upset, and go on a rant about how that language could be offensive to homosexuals (making it clear that you yourself are not one, but that it's your duty to protect them from potential offense; isn't it interesting how the supposed offended group never seems to be offended enough to bring it up themselves?).
B) You recognize it as a cultural evolution of the term and continue on with your day.

Which one is more mature? Which one happens the most inside this community? Which one is more likely to happen outside of this community?
Nobody getting offended over the language isn't a sign of maturity, true (far more likely to just be a sign that nobody cares), but nobody acting immature and throwing a ****fit over language clearly intended to be harmless is.

Coney

Smash Master
i genuinely do wish that smash players would stop using such generic terms

"****" is much worse than gay. i get so tired of hearing "this is a **** matchup, i **** on that stage, **** **** **** **** ****"

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
"Fallen sick on a journey,
In dreams I run wildly
Over a withered moor."

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I don't care if it's become part of our culture. I
I don't care if it doesn't offend homosexuals.
I don't care if you don't care.
Gay is not a term that deserves any further negative connotations.
I like this playing style and this thread interests me, but I honestly can't support its nickname any more.
**** is dumb, also, but hell, at least it isn't taking a term currently used to describe a large group of people and turning it into stupid and bad.

Coney

Smash Master
What should smashers be doing then? ****ing read you a haiku while they are beating you?
no, but i'd rather hear something original and, uh, funny than the thousandth random mumbling "get *****"

also i would really ****ing love that haiku idea, i'm gonna start doing that

coming in from sky/
ready for lots of down airs?/
L-O-L TOO LATE

desynch'd blizzards, ****/
don't get grabbed don't get grabbed don't--/
**** the ice climbers

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
Not going to lie, LEGIT haikus and I think it's a great idea as well. We must start doing this Coney Isle. ALSO why do you assume DMG is making gay sound as if it is a bad thing.. Isn't he highly regarded as one of the "gayest" player and takes it to pride?

Also
Running the clock out
L-O-L 8 Minutes Left
Better quit now *****

bobson

Smash Lord
Like a timeless tune
Within the sparrows' chorus,
My planking repeats

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Hmm...
Well the term gay is used for planking and extreme defensive playing...
Noobs think that planking is gay
Ignorant *******s think that gay is bad
Intelligent Players realize playing "gay" is smart
Intelligent people realize that being gay is fine
In this light...it makes sense...

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
The glowing blue spheres.
I finally hit his shield.
@#$% his broken-*** roll.

I fight DMG.
He takes off just one percent.
God I hate this game.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Lol poetry yay.

I don't support the use of the word "gay" and "****" either. There's surely better alternatives?

<3

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's pretty insouciant.
you just pillaged logic.

Yay thesaurus.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
don't h8 because i can use alternatives better than you. :(
stop being so insouciant and enjoy the pillaging, homo.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
I don't know what everyone is *****ing about.

I read the title as "How to play happy". I whole-heartingly agree with that. You know what makes me happy? Playing happy with Ganon.
Come on now, you're smarter than that (as funny as your playing happy with Ganon remark was).

We all know nobody takes someone saying "That was Gay" while being camped by DMG or planked to mean "That was Happy!". It's a negative remark, insinuating that being gay is a bad thing (I know nobody's meaning to gaybash, but it's effectively what they end up doing).

If you were being 100% sarcastic, then I didn't see it, I guess. Internets is fail for me.

I know there are a bunch of sub-18's around here, but that doesn't really excuse the community as a whole to say whatever offensive nonsense they want to.

And I agree, '****' is even worse, by far. **** is really in no way a laughing matter.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'll update this with a tip later.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599

...Daily?

its a clear sign he did not read the OP...nor the title of the thread ****

"****" is much worse than gay. i get so tired of hearing "this is a **** matchup, i **** on that stage, **** **** **** **** ****"
No

This thread is about many different epitomes of gay. And will continue to deliver many different eye burning levels of gay

no, but i'd rather hear something original and, uh, funny
So your saying the OP...isnt funny and original...? You sir have a very low sense of humor.

My daily tip for you today;

Quit posting

altairian

Smash Lord

When will people learn that "****" does not ONLY mean "a man forcing an unwilling woman to have sex with him".

Stop ****** the english language with your lack of understanding of it. Thank you =)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

Saturday, September 5th, 2009 > Gay Tip #1: Always Double Blind Pick First Match Of A Set

funny that you bring this up, as I decided I was going to do this like 2 days before this thread was made.

I did it at a local tourney a few months back and I think the kid is still mad at me for it LOL

Coney

Smash Master
So your saying the OP...isnt funny and original...? You sir have a very low sense of humor.
not what i said at all but uh okay. my problem isn't with the word gay, but the fact that every smash player and their cat now uses "****" as often as they say "the." or "meow."

When will people learn that "****" does not ONLY mean "a man forcing an unwilling woman to have sex with him".

Stop ****** the english language with your lack of understanding of it. Thank you =)
there's nothing to understand, you condescending dolt. it's not that the term is offensive, it's that this community is now using it as a substitute for the word "pwned" and that is gay.

it's like if you were hanging out with otto rocket all day and every single time he beat you at anything he'd exclaim, "OH MAN, YOU TOTALLY BEEFED IT."

it's like, shut the **** up otto rocket

"GET BEEFED."

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Whatever, fine. The terms stay. Our gay argument got *****.
Tip #3: In teams, play Toon Link and blue gloves olimar on rainbow cruise.

Nanaki

Smash Lord

Yeah, because I'm sure when people say '****' in smash they mean a plant of the cabbage family, or the residue of grapes, or 'seizing and taking by force', or 'pillage and plundering'.

Stop ****** these forums with your ****ing stupid comments. Do you honestly think when people say 'get *****' in smash, that they're using any definition but 'get ****ed forcefully and unwillingly'? How is this funny to any of you?

IMAD!!!

SuSa

Banned via Administration
not what i said at all but uh okay. my problem isn't with the word gay, but the fact that every smash player and their cat now uses "****" as often as they say "the." or "meow."

there's nothing to understand, you condescending dolt. it's not that the term is offensive, it's that this community is now using it as a substitute for the word "pwned" and that is gay.

it's like if you were hanging out with otto rocket all day and every single time he beat you at anything he'd exclaim, "OH MAN, YOU TOTALLY BEEFED IT."

it's like, shut the **** up otto rocket

"GET BEEFED."
Pwned/Owned are horrible and stupid words. My gay friend agrees with me.

Pwned came about as a typo to owned, and owning someone can be a reference to slavery. So I think I'd prefer gay to stay.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
This is the "gayest" thread I've ever seen on smashboards. I can't wait for the next gay tip. It makes me gay just thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom