• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Magikoopa ~Kamek~ Deconfirmed....

Do you want Kamek in SSB4?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiDeL

Smash Rookie
It's the character I want the most from the Mario/Yoshi series. But even if Yoshi is an independant series, I don't know if he's gonna win is place versus Bowser Jr., Toad, Waluigi or Paper Mario...I wish but i have a doubt, saddly. :(

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It's the character I want the most from the Mario/Yoshi series. But even if Yoshi is an independant series, I don't know if he's gonna win is place versus Bowser Jr., Toad, Waluigi or Paper Mario...I wish but i have a doubt, saddly.
I still think that since yoshi is his own series, he might get his own rep.

and even if that didn't matter in comparrison to mario, he still is probably more likely than waluigi, or MAYBE paper mario.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Why does the Yoshi series need any more representation, for such a small amount of characters, in comparison to more impactful series like Metroid, or newcomers like the Tales series? It would be a gigantic slot waster of gigantic slot wasters.
ONE more character? Really? and who says that metroid won't get a new rep if yoshi gets one? that's ridiculous.

besides, I'm pretty sure that yoshi is *almost* just as impactful as metroid in terms of number of games, and unlike metroid, yoshi has TWO new games in development right now, as well as having games dating back all the way to the NES, just like metroid has. they are BOTH deserving series for a new rep.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Even as a Yoshi fan I can't see the series getting more love from Sakurai. Yoshi was the only one of the original eight not to appear in the trailer, he was the last one revealed for Brawl of the original eight, his series didn't get any assist trophies and seems like one of the more ignored ones that are represented.

That said; I do think Kamek is the most likely second rep for Yoshi, if he does indeed get a second rep and at the VERY least should be an assist trophy.

I just wish Nintendo showed Kamek more love by putting him in a Mario Kart game like they intended to in Mario Kart 64 before Wario became a thing.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
ONE more character? Really? and who says that metroid won't get a new rep if yoshi gets one? that's ridiculous.

besides, I'm pretty sure that yoshi is *almost* just as impactful as metroid in terms of number of games, and unlike metroid, yoshi has TWO new games in development right now, as well as having games dating back all the way to the NES, just like metroid has. they are BOTH deserving series for a new rep.
This is Smash though... who plays as Yoshi anyways... :ohwell:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Even as a Yoshi fan I can't see the series getting more love from Sakurai. Yoshi was the only one of the original eight not to appear in the trailer, he was the last one revealed for Brawl of the original eight, his series didn't get any assist trophies and seems like one of the more ignored ones that are represented.

That said; I do think Kamek is the most likely second rep for Yoshi, if he does indeed get a second rep and at the VERY least should be an assist trophy.

I just wish Nintendo showed Kamek more love by putting him in a Mario Kart game like they intended to in Mario Kart 64 before Wario became a thing.
well, he is in the new mario party, even if they DID get his name wrong. and he DOES have an important role in the recent mario games, as well. (also pointing out it was DK booting kamek out in MK64, not wario...)

This is Smash though... who plays as Yoshi anyways... :ohwell:
apparently YoshiandToad here does. and I do in brawl (he got buffed a bit, he sucks in melee). the yoshi's island stage was also one of my favorites.

but this is more about kamek anyways, not really yoshi(the character) so lets not get off topic.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
In my eyes the only thing preventing kamek is that he's not really too popular, but who knows. maybe he will get in anyways! here's hoping!

EDIT: I also just noticed this thread has more views then the other mario side series black magic character: Ashley! dunno if that's a big accomplishment or not...

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Why does the Yoshi series need any more representation, for such a small amount of characters, in comparison to more impactful series like Metroid, or newcomers like the Tales series? It would be a gigantic slot waster of gigantic slot wasters.

I understand what you're saying. But I'm fairly certain that the series could use a new rep. Seriously, we know that a lot of people want Ridley and Lloyd Irving. But some of us like Kamek. Not saying that I don't support the two, in fact I like them both. But I like Kamek. I'd like another magic user. Another villain. Another addition to a series with little to no representation. Isn't it time that series with little reps like WarioWare, Yoshi's Island and F-Zero get some new reps? Yes, Metroid has been there since the beginning, and Ridley's probably going to be in the game, if popularity is any indication. But what about Yoshi's Island? We need to represent a series that's had a lot of games and been around since the late 80s. Metroid and Yoshi's Island both have an equal amount of games (including the Classic NES Series: Metroid and Super Mario Advance series) so who's to say they can't both have a rep? It would only be a waste of a slot if there were less than 3 newcomers.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
No one is comparing more than one series here (though many count Yoshi as a sub-series of the Mario series, along with Wario and Donkey Kong), and no one is saying he deserves in before other characters.

The simple opinion I have: Why not both/all of the above? I do think Metroid needs more newcomers before a lot of series, but that doesn't automatically mean we can't get more newcomers from other smaller/underrepresented series.

I wouldn't call Kamek of all characters, who has become increasingly relevant in both spin-offs/RPGs and in the main game series (both Mario and Yoshi), a "waste of a slot" especially if he's both well known (by casual and hardcore gamers alike) and has the creative moveset potential. But if you think otherwise, then I respect your opinion. I actually wouldn't mind if he at least showed up in some way (I thought stage hazard/showing up for Bowser's Final Smash before Assist Trophy, but it would be interesting, though I'd much prefer it if he were playable).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

To be fair, it's not as if Kamek was only in Yoshi's Island. I'm not entirely sure on the numbers, but I'm pretty sure that Kamek has been in more Nintendo games than even Ridley. He's been in mainstream Yoshi games, mainstream Mario games, and the Mario Party/Sports games.

Also, I love the Tales series, but you can't really bring up less iconic 3rd party games as a comparison. Perhaps Golden Sun would be more apt?

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
To be fair, it's not as if Kamek was only in Yoshi's Island. I'm not entirely sure on the numbers, but I'm pretty sure that Kamek has been in more Nintendo games than even Ridley. He's been in mainstream Yoshi games, mainstream Mario games, and the Mario Party/Sports games.

Also, I love the Tales series, but you can't really bring up less iconic 3rd party games as a comparison. Perhaps Golden Sun would be more apt?
Golden Sun came and went. Out with the old and in with the new. :ohwell:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
oh, you're one of those guys. and golden sun's newest game came out in 2010, it's not even that old!

anyways, back to kamek. I finally got to the last level in yoshi's island and kamek can one-shot you if you aren't careful. even if it is just running into you when there's a open pit below.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

Yeah, GS last had a Nintendo release in 2010 while the last Tales Nintendo release was 2009, and that didn't even get brought to America. In any case, they're both great series that warrant inclusion, but the Tales' third party status is a huge drag on its chances.

Anyway, yes. Back to Kamek.

What different colors do people want? I assume the different colors would simply be him wearing different colored robes. Blue, Green, and Red... maybe White, Black, and Purple as well?

And perhaps Kammy and some of the other magikoopas as alt. costumes, maybe one without glasses?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
There was already some palette swaps in the OP.

I think that the purple one is based off Kamella from Galaxy, but I don't know anything else really...

I think maybe the pink one is supposed to be Kammy..? don't really know, but I think these are good.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I want the Psycho Kamek robe from Superstar Saga to be a palette swap.

As well as the usual red, green, grey and yellow Magikoopa robes.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yellow and grey would be nice. I think I would really like to see a black robe fo sho, though... the pink looks really jarring against his skin tone. Really now, he needs to think about these things when he buys clothes.

FiDeL

Smash Rookie
I still think that since yoshi is his own series, he might get his own rep.

and even if that didn't matter in comparrison to mario, he still is probably more likely than waluigi, or MAYBE paper mario.
I wish you're right, i would not say no to paper mario, but waluigi: NO...and a Loud YES! For Kamek

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
oh, you're one of those guys. and golden sun's newest game came out in 2010, it's not even that old!
Actually he's the fellow that was vying for Geno on another thread, so he's obviously not totally against old games.

On the palette swap topic;
I second APC99's colour palette suggestion and obviously a Kammy palette is required should he get in.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I changed the title due to the new counter arguments no longer being new. and... um....

Should kamek's voice like in galaxy?

or not? I think it would be either way, (because it's already established :p)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think Kamek is the most likely choice for a character of his would be type, in other words, not many characters in Smash primarily use magic based attacks, (other than Zelda) and I believe he is more viable than Ashely and certainly more than Geno, so that's a major reason for me supporting him.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't know if you guys look at the Make Your Own Challenger Approaching Screen thread, but I had an idea for SSB4 having character-specific APPROACHING screens, and Kamek was one of the ones I threw together for it.

For Kamek:

This one would start out with Yoshi's Island graphics, then maybe Kamek does a flip on his broom, covering himself with the magic that he sprayed the bosses from Yoshi's Island with which turns him all 3D and it then goes into the battle.

I don't know, just a couple of ideas I had. There's a lot more possibilities.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Man, this thread brought back so many memories. I used to be obsessed with Yoshi.

Anyhow, if we did get a second Yoshi representative, I would definitely want it to be Kamek. Back in the day, I actually thought he was pretty cool.

Off topic: That flower pot boss in Yoshi's Island scared the hell out of me when I was little, no joke.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Great! the more supporters the better!

I do kinda wonder why there isn't more supporters on these boards. I mean, Kamek IS in a similar position to the two most popular characters on this board (Ridley and K Rool) being an antagonist in an underrepped series.

prolly because they think Yoshi = mario or something. oh well.

anyhow, the more the merrier!

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
I like this character. ALOT. But he doesn't have a chance. He would get assist trophy at best.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Great! the more supporters the better!

I do kinda wonder why there isn't more supporters on these boards. I mean, Kamek IS in a similar position to the two most popular characters on this board (Ridley and K Rool) being an antagonist in an underrepped series.

prolly because they think Yoshi = mario or something. oh well.

anyhow, the more the merrier!
True, people DO tend to think Yoshi counts as a Mario character, even though he does have his own emblem. But seriously, Kamek IS in a similar situation like Ridley or King K. and the Yoshi series does deserve another rep.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I like this character. ALOT. But he doesn't have a chance. He would get assist trophy at best.

Well, I do think he has a chance, especially if he is considered as the second most important character in the Yoshi franchise.

All the same... he'd be a pretty sweet Assist Trophy too, I bet. He'd probably just fly over twice and make your character huge, but that'd still be fun.
I mean, I'd be disappointed that he didn't make it in, but at least I'd be happy to see him at all.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
would you like me to add you to the list of supporters?
Well, I do think he has a chance, especially if he is considered as the second most important character in the Yoshi franchise.

All the same... he'd be a pretty sweet Assist Trophy too, I bet. He'd probably just fly over twice and make your character huge, but that'd still be fun.
I mean, I'd be disappointed that he didn't make it in, but at least I'd be happy to see him at all.
pretty much how I feel.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
There was already some palette swaps in the OP.

I think that the purple one is based off Kamella from Galaxy, but I don't know anything else really...

I think maybe the pink one is supposed to be Kammy..? don't really know, but I think these are good.
I think the pink one's supposed to be based off of Giant Kamek from Super Princess Peach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom