• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DasDonkey Vertex Box v2.2 Released!!

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Hey guys, this is a great tool!
unfortunately, i cannot open the .3ds file with my 3ds max!

when i go to open it, it says
"File open Failed: ...DDV.3ds"

I must be doing something wrong, you export the model, save as "model.mdl0", then export ANY of the vertices, and save as "vertex.ddf". Then you put both in the same folder as the exe, and run it, and click "Create .3ds". Can anyone please help?
Make sure you're using "Import" and not "Open", opening only works for Anim8or from what I've experienced. I'm even confusing myself with this sentence, so if you don't understand, I'll explain further :dizzy:

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
Make sure you're using "Import" and not "Open", opening only works for Anim8or from what I've experienced. I'm even confusing myself with this sentence, so if you don't understand, I'll explain further :dizzy:
Exacto, open 3ds max and go to archive, import, and select the 3ds file, if you use open the file cant bve opened

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Akari_Un, do you think it would be possible to export the Mdl0 to Obj so Blender could edit it for people who do not have 3DS Max? A new update maybe?

Hey, Akari_Un, ¿cree usted que sería posible exportar los Mdl0 a Obj tan Blender podría editar para las personas que no tienen 3DS Max? Una nueva actualización tal vez?

Wacka Alpaca

Smash Cadet
LOL thank you to everyone who chipped in and helped me, why did i laugh?
because i have been using 3DS Max for 5 years now, and am starting my first semester at Vancouver Film School in 3D animation and design this august.
So, really i should know that. XD

Thanks again to everyone! and i will post again if i encounter any problems.

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Akari_Un, do you think it would be possible to export the Mdl0 to Obj so Blender could edit it for people who do not have 3DS Max? A new update maybe?

Hey, Akari_Un, ¿cree usted que sería posible exportar los Mdl0 a Obj tan Blender podría editar para las personas que no tienen 3DS Max? Una nueva actualización tal vez?
If blender supports 3ds files you can import them and edit on blender, then export as 3ds and re export with anim8or

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Question. Whenever I try vertice editing with hexing/Anim8or, some parts of the polygon end up mashed together in a pile. Will this happen here?

Pregunta. Siempre que trato de edición vertice con hexing/Anim8or, algunas partes del polígono hasta el final puré juntos en un montón. ¿Ocurrirá esto aquí?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
When I go to "Insert 3DS on MDL0," I get this "Errorjava.io.EOFException" error?

Then if I run it anyways, it balloons the size of the model.mdl0 file to 160KB (It was 10KB)

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
Question. Whenever I try vertice editing with hexing/Anim8or, some parts of the polygon end up mashed together in a pile. Will this happen here?

Pregunta. Siempre que trato de edición vertice con hexing/Anim8or, algunas partes del polígono hasta el final puré juntos en un montón. ¿Ocurrirá esto aquí?
Eso es inveitable, en algunos estaran apilados en algonos otros no ,los vertices estan en esa posicion, no se por que, no es cosa del programa, es cosa de Nintendo , segun yo en la parte apilada esan los vertices que se mueven con los bones

Wacka Alpaca

Smash Cadet
Hey guys!
I just finished my video tutorial, and I would love to ask if you would add it to the OP so many more people can understand the process!

The link to the tutorial is below, and i thank you for making this great program and helping all us brawl modders:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE_MwDxrnVQ

Thanks again to everyone who helped me get this done, and made this whole process easier.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Eso es inveitable, en algunos estaran apilados en algonos otros no ,los vertices estan en esa posicion, no se por que, no es cosa del programa, es cosa de Nintendo , segun yo en la parte apilada esan los vertices que se mueven con los bones
Here Piks: "This is inevitable, some will be stacked in algonos others do not, the vertices are in that position, not is, is not the program, is a thing of Nintendo, according to I in part piled esan vertices that moves with the bones"

Hey guys!
I just finished my video tutorial, and I would love to ask if you would add it to the OP so many more people can understand the process!

The link to the tutorial is below, and i thank you for making this great program and helping all us brawl modders:

Thanks again to everyone who helped me get this done, and made this whole process easier.
Here Akari (by the way, nice job Wacka Alpaca): "Hola chicos!
Acabo de terminar mi tutorial en vídeo, y me gustaría preguntar que si se podría agregar al protocolo facultativo que muchas más personas pueden entender el proceso!

El vínculo para el tutorial está por debajo, y doy las gracias por hacer este gran programa y ayudando a todos nos brawl modders:

Gracias de nuevo a todos los que me ayudaron a obtener este hecho y facilitado todo este proceso."

Gundamsdboy

Smash Apprentice
Ah! Thanks Wacka Alpaca!

Erm... lesse.. Spanish... Muey bueno!

...that's the best you're getting... sorry...

GreatFalco

Smash Apprentice
Amazing job guys!

Ok, I've tried to edit Ike's sword (blade vertex group), but the sword doesn't appear after inserting the 3D model in the mdl0. I can see the vertex point in anim8or but not in brawlbox. I haven't got any errors so I dunno... any help?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
while this sure does make the process of vertex editing much faster and easier, what we really need is faces support, or an understandable method for faces.

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
Amazing job guys!

Ok, I've tried to edit Ike's sword (blade vertex group), but the sword doesn't appear after inserting the 3D model in the mdl0. I can see the vertex point in anim8or but not in brawlbox. I haven't got any errors so I dunno... any help?
Ike have 2 sword models, maybe you are editing one and preveow the other.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
the program works fantastically, however, it doesn't seem to like re-importing the model into the mdl0 file multiple times quickly. When I edit the model, and whatever, hit insert 3ds into mdl0, and replaced into brawlbox, everything is fine. Then, if I try to change another thing in 3ds, and do every step (export, anim8tor, export, insert 3ds into mdl0), the model is only 1st edit, and not the new one (even if I open a new vertex box exe for it) . I retry a few steps back (like from the beginning) and the next edit works fine.

so I don't know if it references anything which might not allow for continuous edits, but this problem seems like it could be easily fixed.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
... a-ba-ho means to ascend... learned it from Diego riding a whale...

:3

Lol, anyway, I was wondering why absolutely nothing shows when I input the file into anim8or at the appropriate time... Ive done everything correctly I think... the file seems very small, though. More on it tomorrow, I gotta get up early to move tomorrow.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
The program works great,thing is that I cant recognize any of the vertices when I open up Sonic's. Is it possible to view models or polygons?

D

Deleted member

-deleted message-

Last edited by a moderator:

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
those are faces, which can be done, but no comprehensible guide has been made to follow, nor has any program been made to automatically do so.

another guide for those who need help:
1. Using brawlbox, extract the mdl0 model named "model.mdl0"
2. Extract the vertex group you want to edit named "vertex.ddf" (the vertex groups are located under your mdl0 file and "verticies"
3. put the "DasDonkey Vertex Box.exe" (OP) the mdl0 and the ddf file in the same folder
4. run "DasDonkey Vertex Box.exe" and hit "Create 3ds file"
5. edit the new "DDV.3ds" in 3ds or anim8tor or whatever

for seeing the verticies that you edit:
-when editing the mesh in 3D studio max, you must select the object (done by default) hit modify, and select the vertex select button
-to edit the mesh in anim8tor, you have to hit the 3 dots looking button to view and edit the points. to move the camera, you have to hit the eye button (at which point you cannot see the verticies while moving your view). hit view/all to see all 4 major view angles around the object. use the scale button while changing your view to zoom in (don't release the mouse off of the window, or it won't actually zoom in)

6. (if not edited in anim8tor) export the mesh you edited as "DDV.3ds" (or really any name) (file/export in 3ds)
7. (if not edited in anim8tor) open the newly saved 3ds file in anim8tor and hit object/export and save it as "DDV.3ds"
8. open "DasDonkey Vertex Box.exe" (if not already open) and hit "Insert 3ds on MDL0"
9. the program will prompt you to enter in your offset number which can be found by opening the mdl0 in brawlbox navigating to "verticies" clicking on your vertex group you edited. the offset is located in the right window, next to MDL0Offset. copy that number (with or without the minus symbol "-") and paste it into the program. ("168096" for example)
10. (if the program succeeded in replacing your mdl0 with your edited 3ds file) open the object's original pac file (or whatever had the mdl0 model) and replace the newly made mdl0 file (model.mdl0)

errors might come from the editing of the model. stuff won't work if any verticies are deleted, welded, or added. some models might not work if some verticies are moved around. and the model will probably not work if you move, rotate, or scale the mesh (you can get around this by selecting all of the verticies of the object and moving/rotating/scaling them in 3ds)

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
9. the program will prompt you to enter in your offset number which can be found by opening the mdl0 in brawlbox navigating to "verticies" clicking on your vertex group you edited. the offset is located in the right window, next to MDL0Offset. copy that number (without the minus symbol "-") and paste it into the program. ("168096" for example)
Actually you can put the "-" too, the program remove it lol

Me_Aludes

Smash Apprentice
When I go to "Insert 3DS on MDL0," I get this "Errorjava.io.EOFException" error?

Then if I run it anyways, it balloons the size of the model.mdl0 file to 160KB (It was 10KB)
I was having that problem, and turned out I was pressing "Save" in anim8tor instead of "Object/Export".

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
I was having that problem, and turned out I was pressing "Save" in anim8tor instead of "Object/Export".
tinees que usar object / export, y asegurate de qeu el nbre sea correcto o no tengas el mdl0 abierto

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Best I could translate is "These are what use object/export, and make sure the number is correct or you don't have the MDL0 open."

My espanol isn't great but it works. Sometimes. =/

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
he probably means

"yeah, you use object/export to correctly save the model from anim8tor. make sure when you are importing the model into the MDL0, via the program, to have the correct offset number and make sure that brawlbox doesn't have the MDL0 open, otherwise it won't work properly"

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
it looks like the reason that the program does not change the mdl0 after the first time might be due to the access of the model.mdl0 file. somehow, the program is accessing that file as a base for changes, perhaps, because it is being used by the program (even when the program is closed?) newer changes cannot be made.

perhaps Akari can fix the problem by making the program reference the unchanged original mdl0 and the unchanged original vertex file each time or something

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
it looks like the reason that the program does not change the mdl0 after the first time might be due to the access of the model.mdl0 file. somehow, the program is accessing that file as a base for changes, perhaps, because it is being used by the program (even when the program is closed?) newer changes cannot be made.

perhaps Akari can fix the problem by making the program reference the unchanged original mdl0 and the unchanged original vertex file each time or something
I ll see what can I do

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
If I just wanted to scale a mdl0 to make it bigger, would I need to vertex edit it, or is there some way to edit it with bones and animations and such?

EDIT: I'm trying to edit the mdl0 of BigSharkZ's Majora's Mask (for personal use). I followed the directions in the OP, but when I open the .3DS in Anim8tor, I just see two dots... and those two dots don't look anything like Majora's Mask. What'd I do wrong?

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
If I just wanted to scale a mdl0 to make it bigger, would I need to vertex edit it, or is there some way to edit it with bones and animations and such?
psa under weight controls the size of the model or you could making it bigger via animations by scaling the topN or transN bone

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
psa under weight controls the size of the model or you could making it bigger via animations by scaling the topN or transN bone
I figured out how to make it bigger through animation hacking, but when I try to edit collision data (trying to make a stage), it's the original size. Therefore, I need to edit the mdl0 itself in order to have it the right size when I edit the collision data.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
I figured out how to make it bigger through animation hacking, but when I try to edit collision data (trying to make a stage), it's the original size. Therefore, I need to edit the mdl0 itself in order to have it the right size when I edit the collision data.
Oh just scale the topN bone when you expand the bones folder preview in the model previewer and it should work

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
I'm trying to edit the mdl0 of BigSharkZ's Majora's Mask (for personal use). I followed the directions in the OP, but when I open the .3DS in Anim8tor, I just see two dots... and those two dots don't look anything like Majora's Mask. What'd I do wrong?

you might have the incorrect vertex group exported. just a while ago, i noticed, in brawlbox, that the groups weren't listed necessarily in order corresponding their polygon number. so find the name of the vertex group which sounds most like the part you're trying to edit. the number of vertices in the info for the groups can give you a hint of how large or complex the shape is. so 12 vertices probably mean something small, like an eyeball, while 455 vertices is probably something large, like a head

Top Bottom