• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Detective #1 - D4 begins

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
I do think Ran is scum, obviously, and as you've said obviously my objection isn't that I'm town. I haven't seen any reason to pair the two of us. Hence, "I don't understand Nabe/Ran". If it'll comfort people's suspicions then w/e, but I'd like to understand why I'm suspected, yeah?

Zen, Ran is scummy but I'd like Ryker/Ryu.
Nabe you can literally be scum with anyone in this game as far as I'm concerned. You weren't in the game at all Day 1/Day 2. Your slot thus coasted by without any of the interactions that formed between people. All of your play has thus come from an "outsider perspective."

I see no reason why you couldn't be scum with just about anyone in this game. So yeah I'm eager to put you (a null read) in the house with Laundry (I mean, Ran :p) who I still think is scum.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Also J/RR as long as Ryker is staying home each night I'm not going to jail him. Either way he isn't actively working towards a scum win con (finding treasure) and giving town free jails, or he is in fact town.

At this stage I'm much more inclined to continue to pursue Ran scum, and start looking at Nabe more (who as I've said could be scum with just about anyone). I'm fine with looking into Ran/Ryker down the track, but at the moment Ryker is just sitting there, so you should be fine with him as long as he continues to play ball.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
@Ryu: Ryker/Ryu (or Ryker/Joey as I fondly remember it) is just about the least likely scenario I can possibly fathom. If it is, wow GG to them but nah, I don't see it.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Nabe and Ryker, since no one else is voting Ryu, will you two switch to Ran?

Ryker, since no one else is voting J, will you switch to Nabe?

J I will honestly try Ryker tomorrow if you go with this today. Please?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Nabe and Ryker, since no one else is voting Ryu, will you two switch to Ran?

Ryker, since no one else is voting J, will you switch to Nabe?

I can do that if you won't vote me tomorrow without a legitimate reason and chance for me to offer a rebuttal.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
@Nabe: Ryu/Ryker makes zero sense to me like Vand said, defend why this is a good jail combo.

Ran/Nabe is fine with me both are on my dislike list.

Guessing J/Ryu is because of the buddy buddy nature we have been this game.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
J and Vandy are town. Zen is null.

I'm good with a Soup/Nabe jail, and a Soup/Ryker jail.

Nabe because his slot has done DOO DOO, and it would help to see if him and Soup are buds together. Same with ryker/Soup. Ryker is null, because his early claim could be wifom as in a scum cover or just a distraction to scum.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
If you are lying to me Zen, so help you this game is going to become hell. Btw, I'd like for you to ignore Ryker's request if so then.

I can do that if you won't vote me tomorrow without a legitimate reason and chance for me to offer a rebuttal.
You're funny.

Guessing J/Ryu is because of the buddy buddy nature we have been this game.
This isn't really buddying but I guess I get what you mean. Though I like you this game Ryu and think your jail is dumb.

========

Jail 1: Nabe
Jail 2: Ranmaru

Last time I'm doing this because TBH I think this is pretty stupid jail (as was yesterDay's and the Day before that's). :rolleyes:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Ranmaru, jailing Soup is absolutely pointless as no one else is jailing him. The town thing for you to do at this point is jail yourself along with Nabe.

Jail 2: Ran

Overswarm

is laughing at you
voters:

J

Red Ryu

Zen

Nabe

Votees:

Nabe - 4
Ranmaru - 4

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Hurf durf formatting.

Willing to hammer. Anyone got something to add? Particularly in regards to night phase?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
4 votes for me and Ran means that town can't reach any majority jail aside from Nabe/Ran, and Soup or Vand will obviously follow through on that.

Good game.
Didn't read that.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
If it's a mafia PR that'd be legit, if it was OS just having some fun then haha.

Sorry Ryker-duder. =[

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm gonna go ahead and end it here, impossible for them to win now.

voters:

J

Red Ryu

Zen

Nabe

Ryker

Votees:

Nabe - 5
Ranmaru - 5

Impossible to get any other sort of jail.

Nabe and Ranmaru (thieves) have lost.

Town wins!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
To start it off, the Blackouts were a hidden power not mentioned in the opening post; it was told to the thieves via quick topic.

The issues that treasure movers can have and the bonus abilities that thieves can have can always change around to make the game more interesting; generally they're pattern based. Normally the thieves both have the same ability.

In this case I wanted to keep it simple and their ability was a simple blackout; no one can visit an area that Night and they just stay home instead. Kind of a counter to the treasure movers if one of your scum buddies is jailed.

In other Detective games abilities have been anything from forcing someone to visit a certain location, forcing someone else to follow you, a smokescreen that prevents town from seeing who followed a certain player, things like that. Always direct and town can easily see them in the results.

I've always really enjoyed Detective because, unlike mafia, it's a game of CONSTANT incomplete information. You never actually know who scum is. You just have to feel it out and trust your gut because, more often than not, you don't get both scum at once. It's very tempting to just vote for someone else, so you have to constantly convince everyone to vote for the same person over and over and over again. It's also a war of patience, too.

Generally the game moves much faster though; even with shorter deadlines you guys waited until the last minute!

Fun fact: both thieves replaced out XD

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I was one of the Treasure Placers btw. =P

Happy I didn't wimp out and claim this game.

RR, were you the other one by chance?

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I choose slot number 8, my lucky number. So I placed it at woodman.

I didn't have any restrictions besides I couldn't move the treasure every night.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
:urg:

Yeah that place. I guess I was thinking Wood Man because isn't that where thee blackout happened?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I wasn't a treasure mover, but with no death to hold over my head, I figured I'd go ahead and claim it, then sit on my *** for most of the game. I just wanted to make people follow me. Easy to confirm that I wasn't ending up where treasure was. It's the kind of a trick that only works once unless you can HAAAAAAAARD WIFOM it.

WL's votes at the beginning of the game were TERRIBLE. Nabe/Gova slot just kinda sat there.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Ranmaru

Thanks for replacing into the slot even though it was a scum slot because it helped us continue on in the game. Overall your slot confused me because I couldn't think of a pair you would fit with and I honestly didn't think what you had done was that bad. Oh wellz. I need to go with my first instinct because I saw that vote thing but I let it go.

Soupamario

Your gambit was meh. Your play was meh but it wasn't the worst duder. Just don't pull those type of things without thinking them all the way through and sober. :laugh:

Zen

You were just so obvtown this game. :rolleyes: Yet you just had that doubt on me like you always do. I mean I don't have much else to say besides you played a really good game.

Vanderzant

All things aside you played yet another phenomenal OS game. :rolleyes: I honestly did not get the concept at first during the beginning of the game and you calling me scum was warranted. You kept on WL all game which was really good but your reasonings for a few things I was like "Huh?" towards. I guess it's just meh but this game was meh for me in general. Anyways it was fun regardless.

J

Never play this type of game again. You personally can't do this. XD

Ryker

I need to pull back sometimes because I was so far into you with the tunneling that it was just meh. I didn't like you though this game Ryker, you didn't do anything at all and was a basic sheep, plus you had no reasoning to do anything at all so it threw me off hard time.

Nabe

You were very willing to go along with anything Nabe and you didn't really have any good explanation as to why you were doing such things. Also going out when you didn't need to during the game sold it to me I wanted to keep you jailed non-stop. Thanks for replacing in though because it helped us continue the game.

Red_Ryu

Thanks for replacing in as well because you helped us finish this game. When you came in you were really obvtown Ryu imo. I liked your play this game and I didn't mind what you were doing. Not much to say though. ^^"

Overall this was a fun new experience as a game but I didn't really do too much haha. This isn't the type of game for me but I'm happy I replaced in because it was unique to say the least, so I thank OS for having me play. Regardless, if there is another I will be watching from the sidelines with popcorn a plenty.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
I made a spreadsheet for this game. It wasn't that useful but I think it would of helped if the game had gone on for ages.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...j6gMudHRJVnl4NThjQ1BSUFdqdlZ4U3BGeXc&hl=en_US

Looool at @Ryker not being a treasure mover. That would of got ugly if we'd had a mass claim :/. Haha. Good gambit though, I enjoyed the TWEWY flavour while it lasted as well :).

@Zen: Good job breaking the game haha (@OS did he really?). I was a treasure mover, my restriction was I could only move my treasure to adjacent squares, so I put my treasure at Dr Wily so I could move it to any square if I needed to.

@J: Gj. I think you need to try and be more succinct in your approaches (though towards the end I was leaning Town J due to the sheer amount of effort you were putting in). I dunno why you were constantly focusing on ME and MY READS, when I was a Town read of yours :/. Funny thing is I basically decided that you were playing how you were because you were in a Mafia mindset... I even made this massive case on N1/D2 about how I thought you are town :p, but I didn't post it because I thought "OMG what if I'm wrong I'm going to look hella dumb xD."

@Nabe: Gj, hard replacing into a slot that did nothing :/

@Ran/Laundry: Good try I guess :p. Your knee jerk votes were still the scummiest thing to happen this game.

@RR/Joey: Good play

@Soup: Stay sober bro :p, fun playing with you though.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Nice spreadsheet but one thing.

Da hell? At you being the other treasure mover. That's incredibly funny that the two treasure movers were the ones doing most of the talking haha.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
Nabe

You were very willing to go along with anything Nabe and you didn't really have any good explanation as to why you were doing such things. Also going out when you didn't need to during the game sold it to me I wanted to keep you jailed non-stop. Thanks for replacing in though because it helped us continue the game.
As town I'd have done everything the same @_@ Ah well.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Yeh, I knew I started that reaaaaallly bad and my inactivity gave me no means of really digging myself outta the hole. I knew I was ****ed and I really just couldn't give a damn to play.

I felt underpowered most of the game. If both treasure movers actually did claim, I felt like there was nothing I could really do about that because that took two jailings off the table. THrow in the fact that town could coordinate what they did, as exemplified by Zen's attempts at breaking the game for town, and I felt like town essentially could control the entire game.

In these types of games, where you have an uninformed majority going against an informed minority, giving the uninformed majority easy ways to control the game is basically auto-win for them. Information is power in mafia and that applies here too. Town needs to become the informed majority to win and, in this game, there's incredibly easy ways to do it without any real means for scum to stop them. Had both treasure claimers claimed, I either had to counterclaim (and hasten the process) or watch them slowly go down the list. Speaking in terms of this game, I ****ed up too badly and it was only a matter of time before they got it right based on Zen, Van, and Broto's play. I had a means of dealing with Zen's plans but had town just conceded to follow people or stay put, we couldn't win without one hell of a lucky shot.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Replaced in since it looked like one was needed badly, I wasn't planing on joining at first since it looked like the game took take a long time but it was a lot faster in tempo so it worked out in the long run.

shoutouts later.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Sorry I tried my bestest to not get jailed.

1. I can't buddy anyone, because I'd get paired with another.
2. I can't bus, because I'd get paired with that guy.

I DON'T KNOW hoW TO GET OUT OF A JAIL LOL

Now WL, I think he was trying to get cleared by not caring if he was jailed, but he realized it would have been better if he hadn't done that. Good games everyone.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Also I had a vibe J was a treasure mover, from his reaction to Ryker.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
how long can these games get?
They can get pretty long with good players on both sides. Generally scum wins pretty fast once they find one treasure or anyone else finds a treasure and the treasure mover gets scared and moves his treasure.

Top Bottom