• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Brawl Thread: Batou Monthly, Feb 18th - Revolution 10, Mar 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Does the right exposure involve massive projectile camping?QUOTE]

I don't even have a good projectile, it's so predictable you could probably dodge it with your eyes closed. the only reason i even started throwing them is so they would eat your projectile spam!

Dont listen to him rage! He's not the true zaft, he's an imposter! :lick:

You are correct. I was interested in getting some brawl practice today instead of the following week. Was curious to see if any smashers were interested in parting with their weekend for some games. I'll be busy during the week so today would be excellent time for some friendlies.
I'm willing to play! let's go to billy's! or my place!

also, dallas fails at asking serious questions, nvm.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
I don't even have a good projectile, it's so predictable you could probably dodge it with your eyes closed.
How often the projectile hits me is irrelevant. I couldn't get near--you spent your entire last stock standing under the platform, throwing waddles, and dodging away whenever I got close. And right after you were complaining about getting camped by a ROB too. I tried to just go through the waddles at first, but that only got me punished. The only answer I had was to spam right back and wait for you to start playing like it's a friendly and not a tournament match. When I realized you wouldn't, I quit and left because I was bored out of my mind.

the only reason i even started throwing them is so they would eat your projectile spam!
Spam? I use jolt as a way of approaching. You remember approaching, that thing from Melee? That means every time use jolt I'm thinking of a way of getting in and actually start attacking. When you are doing nothing but throwing waddles and rolling away you are doing the opposite.

I mean, I can't argue with the effectiveness of the Ultimate Brawl Strategy, but I just can't for the life of me why any of you guys find it fun... Watching Bwett vs Fogo fills me with horror. Oh well!

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Dude theres so many options, you just refuse to recognize them. I could spend the next 5 minutes writing a paragraph explaining all of the things you could do, but i know that you don't care, so i won't waste your time.

You have no idea what camping is until you've played a scared snake or a spammy falco. I can't believe you're complaining about a D3 using his projectiles, it's like the easiest thing to get around that i could imagine besides playing Broly with no face.

I'd also appreciate it if you didn't take personal stabs at me and billy because of your dislike for a game, there's alot worse that could happen in a match.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
If we got a large enough group together I'd go. Kind of late notice.... Plus the herbivores are flaky to a ridiculous degree.
Yeah, I mentioned it last night, but only one guy responded... then said he couldn't do it. So once again, another lonely night for the endangered melee player.

EDIT.
I'm willing to play! let's go to billy's! or my place!

also, dallas fails at asking serious questions, nvm.
I would be down!

Bwett

Smash Ace
fogo bwett yall having another one this wendsday.(you havent but the date yet just wondering)
Bwogo fest is put on hold till a later date because I have to go out of town. We'll put up a date and I'll let yall know when the next will be.

Bluezaft, you need to seriously lay off the brawl bashing. We've already spent several pages in the last Dallas thread fighting over the differences of the games and what's better or worse. and ya know what? The brawl community accepts melee. and some of us brawl players still play it. However, you won't accept brawl and continue to throw in those comments. It gets us nowhere, so I would appreciate if you would stop. You aren't contributing anything to this thread by taking low blows at Eric and me.

If you hate brawl, that's your opinion. But if I wanted to hear your opinion, I would've asked for it. I have alot of respect for you dude, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna sit by and let you degrade our community because you don't want to accept what we consider fun or can't understand why we enjoy it.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
fogo bwett yall having another one this wendsday.(you havent but the date yet just wondering)
nah we aren't having one for awhile, at least not until we get some stuff worked out.

Melee players: i think when we restart the bwogo fests i might include a melee room, or a melee corner or something. maybe run 2 tourneys at the same time? i think it could be fun.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Bluezaft, you need to seriously lay off the brawl bashing. We've already spent several pages in the last Dallas thread fighting over the differences of the games and what's better or worse. and ya know what? The brawl community accepts melee. and some of us brawl players still play it. However, you won't accept brawl and continue to throw in those comments. It gets us nowhere, so I would appreciate if you would stop. You aren't contributing anything to this thread by taking low blows at Eric and me.

If you hate brawl, that's your opinion. But if I wanted to hear your opinion, I would've asked for it. I have alot of respect for you dude, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna sit by and let you degrade our community because you don't want to accept what we consider fun or can't understand why we enjoy it.
I haven't said a thing about Brawl's campiness other than a few jokes every now and then that you know perfectly well are totally innocent, until Eric said Rage would like Brawl with "the right exposure," and I found that unacceptably hypocritical. I'm pretty sure you don't know Rage, but I can tell you that based on what he likes about Melee, there's no chance at all he would like Brawl.

Now here's what I find hypocritical: at that last Bwogo smashfest I showed up out of the blue and I assured you all that I was just there to "play around." Now I'm the last person who would want someone to sandbag against me, but I've always had a clear idea of how to play in friendlies--and that's that they should be played strictly for fun unless you're both training for a tournament or something. In Melee I don't chaingrab spacies or up throw - rest them with Jiggs, etc, because I don't find those things fun. So you can imagine how insulted I felt when every time I took the lead against you or Eric you both camp on the edge or camp with projectiles.

At first I was mad, but I later figured that maybe that's just how you all play the game and it doesn't feel like camping to you. So I didn't say anything and I just gave up on Brawl altogether, no hard feelings, in fact I found it kind of amusing.

So back to Rage and the "right exposure." If what Eric said is true and he could have done a lot worse things, and that projectile camping is in fact fun in comparison, than Rage has little to know hope of ever liking Brawl (again, I can say this because I know Rage well). When I showed up at that smashfest I was, in a way (though not at all wanting people not to try against me), looking for the "right exposure", and instead got a face full of everything I hate about Brawl (which is apparently just the tip of the iceberg--dang, Brawl is just not my game).

I've got no problem chalking this up to differing ideas of fun, but I am morally obligated to warn Rage that Brawl is everything he hates in a game and that Fogo is leading him to the Dark Side.

tac0

Smash Journeyman
Melee players: i think when we restart the bwogo fests i might include a melee room, or a melee corner or something. maybe run 2 tourneys at the same time? i think it could be fun.
A melee room would be good, but I think too many brawlers show up to do that.

runningbrave

Smash Journeyman
Big Bob: Yes! Seeing you take poot in Brawl AND Melee would make my day. You are his true counter.

Rage: Get back into smash shape. I want to see the hidden Foxu.

bluezaft, Ike Love, & other Melee people: We will ALL play together soon. SOON. Let's get organized. I apologize for the flakiness (?) of the Herbivores. This game is too good/skillz required/not Street Fighter Fall.

Wilma

Smash Rookie
Yes, projectile camping and turtling suck donkey ****. People do it quite a bit, but if you played in the tournaments, zaft, you'd see significantly less camping, as even the campiest of spammers (ROB and TL) can't simply keep tapping the B button over and over and win every time.

Projectile game was completely different in Melee, obv. But the extreme edge camping you're playing against in Brawl is not the only way to play, it's simply a habit of the "Whatever works, do it" mantra in this early meta. Since the game is still really fresh and open, there's a habit to spam or camp because, without comprehensive understanding of the mechanics, it's an effective strategy that's hard to punish. And Brawl probably just doesn't have the significant amount of AT that Melee had, simply because they removed numerous mechanical aspects. So, at least for now, it's almost strictly a strategy/approach game, where no amount of fast finger action will help you. It's like Melee is fencing and Brawl is longsword combat.

You shouldn't be sour that you got sandbagged/camped to death at that Bwogo fest; it happens to me all the time because I'm a below-average player. Sometimes I even get sandbagged in tournament. At least when I played Melee people didn't take it easy on me, and I didn't expect them to. But because Brawl is almost completely played in the mind, and not in the fast fingers, it's just gonna happen more than in Melee. But it's def. not the end all of the game. Right now, MK is pretty much the dominant character, and he is the complete opposite of camping (but not always of spamming [**** Tornado]).

The point is, please don't forsake the game forever just because Eric threw a bunch of Waddles at you. Next time just play Metaknight against him and the universe will balance. You'll most likely never like it as much as Melee, but you may enjoy it someday.

K.G.

Smash Apprentice
please dont try to explain cause its jus goin to take up another 3 pages or so of jus arguing about somthing as simple as projectile spamming

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
bluezaft, Ike Love, & other Melee people: We will ALL play together soon. SOON. Let's get organized. I apologize for the flakiness (?) of the Herbivores. This game is too good/skillz required/not Street Fighter Fall.
I'll be there, when and where ever!

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Hey, G-Krew - it's Hanson finally lifting the veil off of my lurker status. I gave you guys overdue props a couple of hours ago here, but I figured I should do it properly in this thread, as well. I've been in a handful of tournaments these last three months, but the time I spent with you guys still sticks out in my mind as a truly monumental achievement - my capacity to at least be able to hang with some of the best that my mighty home state of Texas had to offer. You guys are also arguably the most congenial competitive players I've ever come across. I know affability is a virtue that the entire Smash community was built on, but it's not difficult for people to lose sight of fundamental things like not being a **** at a tournament, so it was still refreshing being in the company of such warm people.

I look forward to dropping in on you guys again the near future.

Bwett & Fogo - thanks for keeping Dallas on the radar with your tireless hosting efforts.

Infinity - I've slowly applied your constructive criticism to my game over these last four weeks, and I'm confident I can at last offer you a little bit more resistance next time around. =)

Shuz - Wanna rematch? =)

In other news, I'm hosting a $5 tournament through the Vietnamese Student Association at the University of Oklahoma here in Norman on Friday the 8th of this month, so if any of you are keen on making the 2.5 hour trip up here, I'd be more than happy to provide any of you with further details as well as possible temporary housing. Hit me up on Facebook if possible (Hanson Le).

Lastly:

we need to go to the midnight gamer's events.

like every one, and we should have a pretty good chance of nagging 1st and second unless there's some amazing no name out there waiting to destroy us.

i highly doubt that though.
I LOL'd at this. Good thing I main bananas.

Incidentally, I finally snapped KOS-MOS' 3-0 MGC run in Oklahoma tonight at the last tournament in the state last night. Look alive, Dallas - you guys are definitely going to be drawing out some surprisingly competent unknowns.

[BIG EDIT] Other things to keep in mind about the Midnight Gaming Championship format:

• As of 2 August 2008, the set rules of the MGC Brawl tournament is based on a 4-stock, 6-minute match. After playing in several other tournaments streamlined in a 3-stock format, you guys will be surprised at how much difficulty you guys have with readjusting your sense of keeping your move-set fresh. Some of you will invariably not be able to kill your opponent until some ridiculously high percentages, and this is bad news for those of you who might be behind by a stock or two since the element of time will be working against you as well (I had 4 matches last night decided by time limit, all luckily in my favor).

• It's also single elimination. It might be free registration, but you get precisely one shot at that $100 and $25 McDonald's gift card.

All stages are legal. There are no "neutrals" or "counterpicks," and even the concept of banning stages prior to the beginning of the set will fall on deaf ears. The only real stipulation is that both competitors have to agree on the first stage. It's a crap-shoot for losers to catch up with cheap-***, haphazard stages like WarioWare and Distant Planet after that. I'm not even kidding.

• Contributing to the time limit rule blunder is the lag. The gameplay suffers from noticeable lag due to MGC's use of high-definition televisions. None of the Wiis used these last four weeks during these tournaments were actually preset to the 16:9 aspect ratio in the Wii menu, so if you main a character who might be particularly harmed by this lag due to their precision-like characteristics (Marth, Sheik, MK, etc.), you might want to look into testing this out during the registration period. Otherwise, I hope you guys are able to make this adjustment with little qualm.

• If you main a character who needs to be unlocked, your safest bet is to bring your own Wii so you can make sure you're able to knock out a set with Toon Link or Wolf or whoever. Frankly, none the Wiis are guaranteed to have any of those unlockable characters unlocked.

• If you guys arrive as a crew, politely request the tournament manager (usually Ricardo or Shane) to evenly reseed guys in the first-round bracket before the tournament starts. There's little incentive for you guys to be eliminating each other before you even get out of the opening pools, and they are willing to work with you guys on this. If you guys don't ask though, how you guys are seeded is based completely on the order players registered.

• Finally, don't forget to name-drop me with management and staff. =) They're very cool, very hard-working cats.

Holla back, kids.

Bwett

Smash Ace
Sweet dude, I'm all up for going to Oklahoma for that, and I'm sure Fogo will be just as excited. Thanks for the props and hints for MGC, btw. Yeah, it's gonna be hectic with all that stuff for MGC but we'll push through it.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
What's all this tournament play nonsense? I was talking about friendlies and people who camp in them (oh, and Wilma, projectile camping isn't the only way to camp--you should watch Sethlon vs Infinity--it's two types of camping going at it). I've already said I'm fine with someone who enjoys camping, but just that Rage would hate it; apparently I was right. I mean, of course I still think you're all freaks, just like people who like mustard are freaks.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Incidentally, I finally snapped KOS-MOS' 3-0 MGC run in Oklahoma tonight at the last tournament in the state last night. Look alive, Dallas - you guys are definitely going to be drawing out some surprisingly competent unknowns.
Wow, you won an mgc over kos-mos?? good job man!

who does he use in brawl??

P.s: cant wait to see you in the finals here in dallas

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wow, you won an mgc over kos-mos?? good job man!

who does he use in brawl??

P.s: cant wait to see you in the finals here in dallas
There are no finals in Dallas. Or anywhere for that matter.

N.O.T.A.-SrsC@

Smash Apprentice

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I love up throwing rest with jiggs. it's so much fun.

also, metaknight is the best projectile.

i got all of next weekend (thurs/fri/sat/sun) off of work, so expect some melee. are we going to austin?

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
VSA Smash Bros: Brawl Tourney in OK

Just so you guys know what time frame you're workin' with, my tournament this Friday (8/8/08) opens registration at 3:00 PM with the tournament kicking off hopefully around 4:00 PM. It's a 2.5-3 hour drive from Dallas to Norman, so it'd be a safe bet to leave around 11:30 AM or noon that day. If you guys (Bwett, Fogo, Shuz, Infinity, etc.) confirm your attendance here in the next couple of days and you guys end up being a little late, I'd be happy to delay the start of the tourney until you guys showed up, as a courtesy to our gracious out-of-towners. I've already got 20 people confirmed for this gig, and I'm expecting more players to bleed in. I'm shooting for 40 by the end of the week.

I've knocked out tournaments like this in 3-4 hours (obviously depending on participation), but the latest this could possibly run 'til would be 9:00 PM, which is when my rental period of the cultural center expires. You guys would have more than enough time to make the trip back down to the Big D that same night, or even leave the next morning/afternoon after a night of Smash/MM/doubles debauchery back at my apartment - with plenty of time to spare to get to the first Dallas MGC tourney.

Seriously, lemme know what you guys think. I really want you guys to come.

For the rest of the details, you can check out this thread on OKGamers.com.

Bwett

Smash Ace
Seriously, lemme know what you guys think. I really want you guys to come.
I'm coming if people come with me. I'm pretty psyched about it and I'm all up for chilling until the next morning.

EDIT: I talked to Fogo. He's in. We are gonna ask Ice and Wilma if they want to come and that will be our group coming up. Crap, shuz i think you can fit in my car as well but it will be tight. Now, we can use my car, but it has no a/c. Do one of yall wanna use your car instead? Gas can be split even amongst all of us. G-krew, G-krew inductee, and G-krew honoree in tow, super pro! lol

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
I'm coming if people come with me. I'm pretty psyched about it and I'm all up for chilling until the next morning.

EDIT: I talked to Fogo. He's in. We are gonna ask Ice and Wilma if they want to come and that will be our group coming up. Crap, shuz i think you can fit in my car as well but it will be tight. Now, we can use my car, but it has no a/c. Do one of yall wanna use your car instead? Gas can be split even amongst all of us. G-krew, G-krew inductee, and G-krew honoree in tow, super pro! lol
thanks for considering me. ill have my answer tomorrow. i have a job interview tomorrow and they said they're gonna start training this week, so if Friday is free ill definitely go

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
I'm considering having a relatively small brawl gathering tuesday from 11a.m to 5ishp.m. PM me if you (anyone) is interested which would consist of address response and howdy's. I live in Cedar Hill (south dallas). Do not be disappointed if you are not welcome. The only reason that would be is because enough players gave their word that they would attend.

Fogo: <3 the broli (is that correct) reference teehee.

Le Thien: major props to the time put into the update. Can't begin to show how appreciative we should be with that info.

Shiken: check your thread

DEV64

Smash Apprentice
anybody know of any tounies in the dallas area that arnt the MGC or any brawl smash fest whatever tell me thanx.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Attention:

Hey damien, if that doesn't work out wanna just switch over to my place??

i'd love to have some people over, we could order pizza, and maybe watch a movie and pop some popcorn!

well, not really, but it would be fun lol

anybody want FOGO'S OPINION?????????????????!?!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom