• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Melee Thread! 10/20 Little Rock, 10/27 San Antonio

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
Oh ****...I didn't see your post until now. I'm leaving town this afternoon, so I'm out. How long are you in town?

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Look at that Dallas communication. Amazing.

So, what Sethlon suggested, player roster with their info (location, contact information) in the OP? Yes?

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
What that you say? Another Pinkie Pie Productions has been scheduled??? Awesome!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=314582

Also, I wanted to run something by everyone. What if we also had like a special workshop/training session portion or something. We could have some of the better players paired up with some newer kids for some dedicated 'get better' time. Obviously we can have regular friendlies, but this way we could also make sure to welcome new players and get to know them and stuff.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Hard part would be to find willing better players. But it's a good idea. Not a lot of better players like helping people get better when there are chances for themselves to get better.

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
It's true. In Dallas, we pretty much only have Sethlon who has higher knowledge of the game. We would definitely need some of you out of towners to volunteer to help out noobies. Another way to do this might be to hold a novice only tournament and have advanced players do some coaching.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Good players won't always be great at coaching. Veteran players (even if they suck) are often times better than new players who are good at the game. One of the best examples I can think of is Velox from Houston. I mean you could give it a shot lol but finding coaches for each player and avoiding problems is going to be hard. What if two people want the same coach? And then what if the coach sucks? It could possibly work against the player.

It's all up to you but I think that the best thing to do is have your players confront the more advanced players and ask the advanced players to tell them what it is that they're doing wrong.

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
All of that may be true, but it's not like I'm running some kind of official program or something here. I just want new players to know that advanced players are accessible and get them involved in the community/make friends etc. I'll keep it simple: get a roster of players willing to help, and then approach the newbies and see if they want to play/chat/get tips from one of the players. I'll add you to the list, thanks for the enthusiasm Syba!

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
It's true. In Dallas, we pretty much only have Sethlon who has higher knowledge of the game. We would definitely need some of you out of towners to volunteer to help out noobies. Another way to do this might be to hold a novice only tournament and have advanced players do some coaching.
I would play in that tournament. I'm garbage at Melee but it's fun :D

MimicMew

Smash Apprentice
I'll be at the tourney on the 21st with my girl. Will you be there?

And a novice bracket isn't a bad idea...unless we do pools. That way, everyone can be guaranteed multiple matches including at least one against a good player.

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
SMASHFEST ALERT:

Next Thursday, January 12th at B91's house in Coppell.

Let's get our **** together and play some! Party starts noonish or whenever you want to come over. I can't make it until after work around 6ish.

Sethlon - can you add this to the thread title?

MimicMew

Smash Apprentice
You don't need many players to do pools. Just advance top two from each pool and do brackets. lol

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
Woohoooooo. I got a TON of responses for our smashfest on Thursday. I think we'll be seeing a lot of faces from the first Pinkie Pie as well as some new heads.

Also making an appearance is my pocket fox. Man, I'm getting mad technical and the plan is just **** everyone like all the time.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Hope to see you guys at the smashfest tomorrow! Me and Emily should be heading that way at around 6pm.

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
Should be there tomorrow at around 1 or so with an extra setup (albeit with a pretty small tv). Been entirely too long since I made it out to a smashfest/tourney/anything smash related.

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
Woo hoo. B91 and I had a pretty intense Smash session yesterday. We were channeling some serious pro **** man. I can't wait to play tonight. I'ma try to leave work a little earlier.

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
Great turnout last night! Tons of fun playing you guys, Smash was way too short and we gotta play more next time.

Denthorn - I'm salty about our crew match! I wanted to play you more. See you next week.

Also shoutouts to Sethlon for teaching me that you have to hold down to waveland and not just aerial dodge on the ground.....yeah, I'm retarted, I know ><

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I am a font of knowledge, padawan.

Smashfest was fun! Hope we get that many new faces at the tournament too.

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
ill try my best to make it to the smashfest and the tournament this month.
Yo, if you want, give me your contact info and i'll let you know when we do the smash. I play a few times a week so we could definitely get a few sessions in. Also, what area do you live in?

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
Smashfest - Thursday or Friday? I can host in downtown Dallas or if B91 ever picks up his phone, maybe his place?

Top Bottom