• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**Diddy Kong [Old] General Match-Ups**

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Lucario can glide toss. He just doesn't have anything particularly good to follow it up with.

Also, his Fsmash has got massive startup and fair has noticeable lag if you land with it. If you're getting hit by fair to fsmash consistently you're doing something wrong.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I thought he didn't, which way does it go though?
Both directions. I was delighted to discover that Lucario could execute the reverse single dribble in a friendly at a tournament against some random Diddy player. And correct me if I'm wrong, gentlemen, but I believe it's Lucario's forward glide-toss that you have to sweet-spot in order to achieve that insanely long distance.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Lucario can glide toss. He just doesn't have anything particularly good to follow it up with.

Also, his Fsmash has got massive startup and fair has noticeable lag if you land with it. If you're getting hit by fair to fsmash consistently you're doing something wrong.
i did it to dsmash. Works strangely.....

ADHD

Smash Hero
NL that diddy ditto combo in your signature, you can also do that if you pick up a naner in your hand after the naner lock and then follow the dash attack by full hop throwing the naner forward at them and then dair :D just some random thing....

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Heres my experience with Lucario

In the ground- Lucario often times will spam Aura Spheres like crazy and you have to somehow get through his little wall of his. But dont make it obvious because other wise, Lucario will simply run away. Just play smart. If you single dribble and he thinks your trying to throw bananas at him, he will put up his shield. Eventually when you hit Lucario its all over. Lucarios smash attacks are kind of slow but have huge range so try to space your self out by doing reverse glide tossing. Not always using Foward Glide tossing, other wise you will be in a world of hurt. Save your smash attacks until hes around 100% because Lucario can die pretty easily. As far as grab goes, personally I dont even bother throwing Lucario because that will make things worse for Diddy because Lucario will always be in the air until hes out of Jumps.

In the air- This is Lucarios main style, fighting in the air. Diddy does terrible in the air. Lucario not only has bigger range than Diddys aerials, but his aerials combo and comes out quicker. The only way to effectivly fight against Lucario in mid air is to do the Karate move or if your holding a banana and you throw it at him. Follow it up with a back air on mid air. Peanuts dont do any good because all of Lucarios aerials will crack em apart.

6:4 in Diddys favor

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
I was just in a tourny today and had to play a Lucario. I have some matches recorded that I will put up later. Also have vids of me vs the best player in FL (Afro Thundah) and some other really good players on our Power Rankings. Vids coming as soon as I can get them uploaded >_<

-advent-

Player-1

Smash Legend
Heres my experience with Lucario

In the ground- Lucario often times will spam Aura Spheres like crazy and you have to somehow get through his little wall of his. But dont make it obvious because other wise, Lucario will simply run away. Just play smart. If you single dribble and he thinks your trying to throw bananas at him, he will put up his shield. Eventually when you hit Lucario its all over. Lucarios smash attacks are kind of slow but have huge range so try to space your self out by doing reverse glide tossing. Not always using Foward Glide tossing, other wise you will be in a world of hurt. Save your smash attacks until hes around 100% because Lucario can die pretty easily. As far as grab goes, personally I dont even bother throwing Lucario because that will make things worse for Diddy because Lucario will always be in the air until hes out of Jumps.

In the air- This is Lucarios main style, fighting in the air. Diddy does terrible in the air. Lucario not only has bigger range than Diddys aerials, but his aerials combo and comes out quicker. The only way to effectivly fight against Lucario in mid air is to do the Karate move or if your holding a banana and you throw it at him. Follow it up with a back air on mid air. Peanuts dont do any good because all of Lucarios aerials will crack em apart.

6:4 in Diddys favor

Idk what you're talking about when you say diddy does terrible in the air, he has amazing aerial game. Not true either when you say Lucario's aerials come out faster, his dair is the only one that matches that. Lucario is great in the air because the hitbox frames last longer than diddys. His aerials can outrange Diddys at certain times and angles.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lucario > diddy
lucario doesn't ever have to be on the ground, and diddy needs you to be on the ground to beat you. and lucario out prioritizes you in every aspect of your game, even monkey flip isn't as useful

diddy doesn't have great aerial game. He has good aerials but a fairly one dimensional aerial game. You jump and upair or fair, and that's it. easily avoided in most cases. Lucario absolutely destroys Diddy (and most characters) in the air

you have to know lucario's range by heart to have a chance. lucarios just throw out fsmashes because it has ****ing stupid range and they know you'll try to do some kind of spacing manuever and just get fsmashed to obvlivion.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
Lucario vs. Diddy is a difficult match up for both ends. Neither player can approach very well so the matches are usually drawn out longer than normal.

Bananas shut down Lucarios roll if they are used right (which they better be if yer a diddy main) but Lucario's dash attacks are decent to atttack and pick up the banana, and he can also use counter to set up some suprise combos when a banana is flung at him.

If diddy is holding a banana and gets one dash attack on lucario you can follow up with lots of combos.

Its a match up that is completely based on patience and mindgames in my opinion.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think I'll do Lucario for my next write up. You guys did a a great job supplying info and what not.

This week is another double up. Bowser and Donkey Kong.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
diddy rrrrapes bowser.

and diddy beats DK too, just learn his range, which is insane, but not as deceptive as lucario. DK doesn't keep momentum as easily as some characters, so you can take an f tilt and still get back in the game. Dk has to mindgame you to beat you, you're quicker than him, just be aggressive. and watch out for the spike for gods sake

two easy matchups imo.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
diddy rrrrapes bowser.

and diddy beats DK too, just learn his range, which is insane, but not as deceptive as lucario. DK doesn't keep momentum as easily as some characters, so you can take an f tilt and still get back in the game. Dk has to mindgame you to beat you, you're quicker than him, just be aggressive. and watch out for the spike for gods sake

two easy matchups imo.
Wrong LoLz.

DK can and has the potential to easily kill and gimp you, even near zero percent. UP-B *****. Not to mention that DK's general physics are bad for Diddy. He is heavy and Diddy already has hard time killing. DK can gimp him and its difficult to Gimp DK. DK out ranges and has super armor on his UP-B and punch that gets around predicted banana tosses (although not as good)Linguini nearly 3 stocked me the first time I played him just because I had no clue that DK can camp the ledge and UP-B to edge guard like that. Have fun trying to get around it lolz.

The one thing I will say about the match up is that you can combo DK pretty good but its risky because one mistake that leads to a grab could mean that your set up to lose your stock. Also Diddy can TRY to projectile spam, how effective it is based on the player and opponent.

I'm pretty sure NinjaLink has played BUM and even he might be able to tell you how effective DK can edge guard and gimp Diddy

-advent-

pastaboy

Smash Champion
"I played him just because I had no clue that DK can camp the ledge and UP-B to edge guard like that. Have fun trying to get around it lolz."
so bassically try to recover on stage with monkey flip?

even scrubby dks can be a threat, one random d smash and ur dun.
i beleive using peanut gun to space is extrmly help full here,dks aproch is limited.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
"I played him just because I had no clue that DK can camp the ledge and UP-B to edge guard like that. Have fun trying to get around it lolz."

even scrubby dks can be a threat, one random d smash and ur dun.
i beleive using peanut gun to space is extrmly help full here,dks aproch is limited.
no. IF ur off stage and ur below ur GONNA DIE!!!!

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
as usual, my boy adventlee knows whats up. DK is not an easy fight for diddy. You can combo him, but like he said, one missed attack and you could feasibly lose your stock. Diddy isnt exactly the lightest character, but DK makes it seems that way with the percentages that he can kill you at. None of your melee attacks outspace his, so your only safe approaches are a banana or a peanut. Just pray the DK doesnt know how to glide toss, cause his is ridiculous and leads into really any kill move he has. He has great horizontal recovery so he can go suprisingly far out to gimp you and make it back

you'll probably use peanut gun more in this fight than almost any other character. He just tends to get hit by alot of them. Be careful about being predictable with your banana pickups. You dash attack to get a banana and you'll be suprised how far that fsmash reaches as you fly off the screen. Saving your smashes is critical if you want to actually win, since you'll be getting DK to alot higher percentages, since he isnt really "easy" to edgeguard himself.

Id agree that DK is somewhere in the top 5 worst diddy matchups, but I couldn't pinpoint exactly which spot he'd take up.

...and Linguini is ridiculously beast with DK.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Yea but in some situations dependent upon DI, trajectory, etc your forced to use the barrels. But you can UP-B over him and take a free hit/grab. There are other options that you have to recover but those are the most basic, don't feel like explaining the more technical recoveries, especially since some of them are already in my ADS guide/thread.

-advent-

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
no. IF ur off stage and ur below ur GONNA DIE!!!!
EXACTLY, UNLESS your playing on Yoshi Story (my personal favorite stage) in which you have a chance to go into the wall with monkey flip/jump to wall jump to foot stool. That is the only way you MIGHT survive. Or if the platform feels like being random and pops up lolz.

And Listen to GDX he knows what he is talking about too. I wouldn't know exactly where to place him either, but he is DEFINITELY top 5 hardest.

I don't have any vids of me vs Linguini, but I can tell you that Linguini was arguably the best Ganon (next to Tipman of course but he quit.... either way there both Floridian lolz.) in Melee, and brought all that beastliness to brawl. Ill try to record some vids vs him next time I play him, although I do have some new vids from yesterdays tourny of me vs Afro Thundah, Lambchops, and some Link player..... if anyone is interested...

-advent-

pastaboy

Smash Champion
ye im interested actually, suprisngly link shouldnt be underestimated either, projectile spam is too good

"Linguini was arguably the best Ganon"

wheres kage on that list

Player-1

Smash Legend
DK: DK out ranges you and out powers you. Not to mention good DKs can live to 150-200% nearly every stock. Save your smashes for the kills, use tilts instead which should be a win-win situation because DK is easy to combo and even easier with tilts. Don't get gimped, either be right next to him or far from him, never be in the range of his Fsmash, or even his ftilt. Dk is a lot faster than you think when he uses tilts.

Bowser: Diddy ***** average Bowsers, against good ones you actually have a challenge. After I fought Kishsquared who was the first good bowser I've played, and he destroyed me first couple matches, I realized that Bowser can be used against Diddy farily well. Unfortunately for the Bowser boards, most Bowsers don't know how to fight smartly, I bet in 6 months Bowser will easily be 60-40 in diddy's favor still, but based on most Bowsers I'd say the match up is 75-25 in Diddy's favor. Just watch out for the grounded up-b, it has little start up lag and ***** shield. Bowsers Fair to Ftilt or up-b works well and has less lag than you think. Bowser can also ISJ really well so don't be fooled and play smartly with your bananas.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
I think Bowser is underrated. Then again I also believe that Fox might potentially be the most underrated character in brawl...

-advent-

ADHD

Smash Hero
I've been wanting to talk about heavy chars who are too good at punishing players for a while. The biggest mistake you can make against a really good bowser is underestimating him, that and DK/Ike. If you don't make a mistake, you're probably gonna win. Just camp both of them. Bowser can infinite jump over the bananas unless you camp peanuts. Peanuts pwn!!

Jungle japes is the ultimate cp against dk (that's right you heard me)

Just camp the left and right platforms on the stage, always have two bananas out--one in your hand and one on the platform aside you. Camp peanuts, theres nothing he can do. If he approaches he'll slip, if he doesn't approach you can just sit there camping peanuts it's no problem. He's so helpless it's ridiculous. With a little creativitiy you have a ton of ways to punish him if he tries to go on that little platform to attack you. If he catches the peanuts, big deal who cares just camp more.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yeah DK is definitely one of Diddys hardest matchups, but it can be hard for the DK too... DKs big advantage is that he kills much earlier than Diddy. And by much I mean like 80 %.

If Diddy gets spiked he's normally done if he has enough damage and no double jump, but so is DK.

I think Diddy should try to hit him with a banana offstage and go for a dair.

I'm not really sure if it's in DKs favour because DK is my secondary and I once lost against a Diddy that just started to play him and isn't a good player overall and he didn't even use bananas... Diddy is really quick and hard to hit...

I don't think Bowser would cause much trouble and it's probably far in Diddys favour. Then again I don't know the matchup well enough so he might still not be that easy to beat. (Nearly nobody plays Bowser =/)

Bowsers upB OoS is really good and Bowser also has good range and KO power like DK. But he doesn't have the good bair of DK...

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
As to the DK issue i think i found a way to gimp him.
The only way I can think to gimp DK is to pressure a Diddy Hump him at low percents off stage. Then let him break free (dont attack or jump) and spam the jump button for the auto foot stool. That should be low enough to gimp his horrible vertical recovery.

But right now I'm messing with the monkey flip kick off stage (thats right..... offstage) in gimping recoveries like Bowser and especially DK, since the flip kick should have a lot of priority and with their recoveries they attack you with their Up-B so you can Barrel (and even do the barrel glitch if you have your jump still.)

What's your idea for gimping DK NinjaLink?

-advent-

pastaboy

Smash Champion
diddy gets invincibility frames on the monkey flip does he not? culd u not try to diddy hump dk out of his up b?Then pressing Y to send him down, it would definitely kill him because of his horrible vertical recovery.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
banana to monkey flip. U cant grab his up-b. u COULD kick him but no point. At least my option hes still stunned.

Theres no invincibility frames that i kno of. The flash u see is yellow meaning a grab. CAN SOMEONE MAKE A DEBUG MODE CODE FOR BRAWL ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!

pastaboy

Smash Champion
banana to monkey flip. U cant grab his up-b. u COULD kick him but no point. At least my option hes still stunned.

Theres no invincibility frames that i kno of. The flash u see is yellow meaning a grab. CAN SOMEONE MAKE A DEBUG MODE CODE FOR BRAWL ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!
my mistake sry, i had always assumed he could because you can monkey flip the nado.
il have yo practice ur method.

ADHD

Smash Hero
ya i r totally a grammr nazi, i jus am tryin 2 help teh interwebz kommunitee...

I think we shood tawk bout bowzr now, u jus hav to kamp him and wait 4 him 2 maek a mistaek bekuz he r relle relle gewd n strong n stuff

DUB

Smash Lord
Jungle japes is the ultimate cp against dk (that's right you heard me)

Just camp the left and right platforms on the stage, always have two bananas out--one in your hand and one on the platform aside you. Camp peanuts, theres nothing he can do. If he approaches he'll slip, if he doesn't approach you can just sit there camping peanuts it's no problem. He's so helpless it's ridiculous. With a little creativitiy you have a ton of ways to punish him if he tries to go on that little platform to attack you. If he catches the peanuts, big deal who cares just camp more.
I don't know who's DK you are playing but anyone with common sense is not going to walk up to a banana peel and just slip on it. If DK approaches you with double bairs on your platform, the peanuts do not stop him, they merely dissapear.

You can Diddy Hump DK in his Up+B you just have to luck up and get the grab glitch.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I don't know who's DK you are playing but anyone with common sense is not going to walk up to a banana peel and just slip on it. If DK approaches you with double bairs on your platform, the peanuts do not stop him, they merely dissapear.

You can Diddy Hump DK in his Up+B you just have to luck up and get the grab glitch.
So? You're going to fall for getting bair'd while you're stationary and he's in the air? You can just throw a naner at him and then pluck another out.

Top Bottom