• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**Diddy Kong [Old] General Match-Ups**

ADHD

Smash Hero
I saw on the TL boards where the matchup is 60-40 in TL's favor. The idea over there was to just spam the crap out of Diddy and use his bananas against him blah blah blah.

I've been playing my crewmates TL lately. A few things I've learned: He isn't that easy to gimp. I have to approach with aerial bananas and Monkey Kicks. His falling Up-Airs are brutal.
Yeah, and I'm sure non of the toon links there who fought diddy kongs haven never had one side b through it all

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
I have played one of the best Wolfs in the nation. And I must say Wolf isn't that hard once you find out his pattern of lasers, shine, and bair. Once you know how to counter those then things become a lot easier, at least until they decide to switch up lolz. Ill still watch NinjaLinks video to see if there is anything in the match up that he does that's effective that maybe I don't do. We need to learn from each other. Period.

-advent-

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Teach me how to beat really, really good d3s advent, you fight seibrik :(
Haha D3 is one of my best match ups now because of Seibrik. He says that as of right now I am the hardest Diddy for him to play, not because of how much we know each other but because of how much I actually learned the match-up.

I have a couple vids up of me vs D3 when I was just beginning to learn the match up. But I only have one recent vid of me vs D3 with what I know now. The 2 main things I can say about this match up is edge guard thoroughly. Notice almost every time he got off the stage he was in danger of losing his stock, and DON'T GET GRABBED. Notice he doesn't get his first chain throw until the end of the second stock.
Here it is --->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX01Nfjqh_0

What good D3's are beating you in your area?

-advent-

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Ewww.... Sorry for the double post, but I just watched my own vid and noticed how primitive my play style was then. Have I really gotten that much better with just 2 weeks of hardcore training? LoLz.

As far as the toon link match up goes. I have played Melito (one of, if not the best toon link player in the U.S.) and Hunter who is a good toon link player in Fl. The main things I can say about this match up are:

1. Not all but most toon link players will rely on spam and projectile pressure to beat Diddy. As someone said before, monkey flip rips through this to approach better. However using Up-B against spam works really well. Its so good some toon link players will even be "scared/hesitant" to spam against a Diddy after they have been blown up a few times.

2. Toon Link is pretty easy to kill. He is light for smash kills, and is not too difficult to edge guard. The secret in edge guarding Toon Link is pretty similar to Marth. You know that they want to get below the level and Up-B towards the edge. Take advantage of this by harassing their jumps with potassium. Spikes are quite easy to do on him too if you know WHEN to do it.

3. Toon Link cannot spam against you if they have tripped on a banana. Take advantage of this fact :)

-advent-

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
In that video vs D3...Who the heck were you throwing your bananas at? LOL Half the time there was no one there dude.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
In that video vs D3...Who the heck were you throwing your bananas at? LOL Half the time there was no one there dude.
I was throwing them in a position that I THOUGHT he would be in. If you notice in the beginning he stayed in the air because I PRESSURED him with grounded bananas. If you watch more closely you will see that if he touched the floor while that was happening he would have taken a banana and follow up combo. Besides I only missed like 5 or so banana tosses all in the first 30 seconds lolz. Trust me I have played enough D3's and as the know the match up pretty good, as far as the meta game is right now at least. But yea I see what your saying about throwing bananas at air lolz.

Well like I said before I don't really play like that any more, as a matter of fact with the way I play now I barely even throw bananas forward anymore. *Hint Hint at the new play style* Vids coming as soon as I find someone to record for me. But here is the most recent vid I have of myself. And I probly literally only threw bananas about 10 times the entire match here. Its just my style...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxi7P0lGebc&feature=related

-advent-

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I have a lot to say in this matchup. Toon Link can EASILY gimp Diddy kong with his projectiles. he can Z drop Bombs, throw bombs, use boomerangs and sh double arrow to hit your barrels and make you fall to your doom. TL however is incredibly hard to edgeguard. He is much harder than marth because he still has a zair recovery.

On the ground diddy has the advantage only because of bananas. Boomerangs can be beaten with SH bananas or you can cancel with Fair or ftilt (IIRC). Bombs stop the momentum of the bananas so be weary of that. he can DJ cancel I think and its pretty effective with his bomb so why not bananas. (more on ground later)

In the air TL destroys diddy. Zair outranges Fair, but is harder to time and land. Nair is extremely annoying because it has shield poked me many times and it sends you flying. Fair isn't that good imo (the TL I play hardly uses it), and Bair is Bair. It just wrecks you. It starts combos and outranges everything you have. Upair can kill at early percentages and has a long animation so even if you airdodge it you might still get hit. Dair however is High risk high reward. you want a TL to be using this. Put the TL in positions for them to use the Dair and punish them. However you should watch out for the fact that they might just want to shield poke you with it and not really attack you. So dont try to shield it.

Killing moves. diddy Kong's only advantage in killing moves is that its easy to set them up. However TL has a huge advantage here thanks to diddy's lightweight, and diddy's lack of vertical ko's. TL has upsmash, uptilt, and up air for easy vertical kills. They are easy to land and can be used easily OoS. Also his Fsmash sends you flying and I think the nair makes you trip to set up other kills moves. I might be thinking about his quick dash attack though.

What I suggest you do against TL is to not be overly aggressive against him. I have SD'd many times trying to gimp TL; it won't work as well as other characters. The only way you should try to gimp them is to z drop banana to dair if they are recovering from below or Bair stage spike them. Fair also works, but the boomerang kinda nulls it. Down throw banana to Barrel spike might work but I havent tried it. In FD you could try NinjaLink's non gimp barrel technique. Ive used it to gimp tl a few times.

Don't fall into NAIR and space your bananas well. Hope I helped.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yeah so Toon Link probably has a 45-55 advantage imo.

Everyone says that he has a hard time killing and I can't really understand that...
I once killed a Tink at 130+ damage and then he runs at me with an upsmash and I die at 82 % >_>

That's just wrong...
Yeah anyway it doesn't really seem to me that he has killing problems.

Tinks bombs, boomerang and arrows all are really annoying and it's not that easy to get a free banana fthrow on him. Usually if I glidetoss towards him I get hit by some projectile, so it might be a good idea not to glidetoss towards him while he's spamming his projectiles...

Taking out bombs is a bit long animation, so if you want to go through his projectilespam, this might be the time to do so.

I think it's really hard to gimp Toon Link. He is so floaty and falls like a feather it's so annoying. And then his boomerang will stop you from trying to gimp him... But if you can predict him and throw a banana down to dair or barrelspike it might work.

upBing his projectiles might work to scare him and shut down his spam, but I don't know... he still makes you damage with them, and the barrels might or might not hit him.

I think Tink has an easy time gimping Diddy. If you have to use your upB he can regain his invincibilityframes by tethering onto the edge again.
It's also really easy for Tink to dair your upB if you want to recover from straight below the edge.

His long grab also get's annoying sometimes =/ (Mostly because I shield pretty often)

Once he tripped on your bananas though he's yours. (Like everyone...)
And if he's offstage, you might be surprising him with a very quick follow up to fair and kill him while he wants to pull out his boomerang.

ADHD

Smash Hero
well it's not a big deal, but atomsk poses alot of trouble because I don't know how to handle a good dedede but it's not likely ill face him again for a while

Jesiah go away, stop lurking

DUB

Smash Lord
It's important to stay in a medium size range from him as well. While his might apply to many of Diddy's match ups, it especially applies here. If you are too far away, you are going to get spammed, if your too close, you might suffer from a quick Up Smash.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Does anyone (besides me) think that Jigglypuff > Diddy?

She's always in the air and that's really annoying. She also has really good priority in her aerials and they are pretty fast.

She can really pressure the hell out of me... She just jumps around above me and hits me and I can't do much...

ADHD

Smash Hero
Does anyone (besides me) think that Jigglypuff > Diddy?

She's always in the air and that's really annoying. She also has really good priority in her aerials and they are pretty fast.

She can really pressure the hell out of me... She just jumps around above me and hits me and I can't do much...
Yes she is annoying until you learn to camp her. I'm dead serious, just run away the entire match shooting peanuts at her and then wait for her to make a mistake, throw a naner and she's so much easier. Don't bother using bananas, use like one per stock. They'll always turn against you otherwise most importantly the only way she can actually win against diddy kong is getting gimps lol, dont EVER go offstage. EVERR!!!! Be a ****ing camper!

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yes she is annoying until you learn to camp her. I'm dead serious, just run away the entire match shooting peanuts at her and then wait for her to make a mistake, throw a naner and she's so much easier. Don't bother using bananas, use like one per stock. They'll always turn against you otherwise most importantly the only way she can actually win against diddy kong is getting gimps lol, dont EVER go offstage. EVERR!!!! Be a ****ing camper!
lol, thanks. Maybe it helps. During one match I peanutted a bit on her and saw that it was effectiv, I should've probably tried to use it more (but it was just a friendly anyway).

And yeah it sucks to be offstage =/

Count

Smash Champion
We haven't done luigi yet right? Let's do him next, maybe our hardest matchup besides falco imo.

/edit, we have indeed done luigi, but more input may be useful.

On another note I am going to help catch us up on the big write ups, unless anybody objects. I will get one up by later tonight.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Is Luigi really that difficult?

I once counterpicked Luigi against the other Diddy here besides me... and lost. He could throw a banana at me and still grab me. Luigi slides far, but not far enough.

I had to stick with Diddy against his Diddy.

ADHD

Smash Hero
luigis easy! what the hell, gimme d3 tips and ill trade you weegee tips!

You just camp luigi, let him come to you since you can just sit there the entire match and shield his fireballs and it won't do anything. You know how luigi slides?

The setup:

One naner in front of you.
One naner in hand.
One peanut gun being spammed like a mofo.

So what happens is, he just tries to approach but sadly he flies away before he can do anything XD that's how you win. Camp like hell, it works for me.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Sorry about being slack with updating to the new week.
I'm really busy with my traineeship work atm. A load of training videos to get through.

I'll update in about 12 hours from now.

Richard7

Smash Ace
I kinda main Diddy (Unfortunetly I don't have an actual main, I just play about 6 characters) and I can like never beat my brother when he plays Toon Link. (Which is a lot because he mains him) The difficulty of the Toon Link is massively dependent on the Toon Link player.

Because my bro is insane at brawl, he's won like 7 or 8 tournaments in a row in my state. But maybe I have a hard time against him because I don't have a main and I don't know any advanced techniques or anything with the characters I play.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
This week's character is Diddy Kong.

Oh shi- this character is good. He is a pressure play driven character, has mother****ing bananas, gimps you like a mofo, word on the street says he's the closest thing to an MK counter since Snake. Matchup experience is critical cause the peepz that main Diddy will roll you if you don't know how to handle it. When you face a Diddy Kong, Diddy Kong will always win.

100:0 in Diddy's favour.

I'm pretty busy right now, so discuss whoever you want. Think of this week as a little breather. That being said, it's still important to know how to tackle dittos

ADHD

Smash Hero
diddy dittos are easy, stay stationary, minimum glide tossing unless you have control of the nanerz. you just can't be pressured, and don't up b every time the other diddy has a banana, theres a chance the other diddy will know and just let you charge em away for nothing. I love the ditto its my favorite matchup. You just need spacing, that's totally it. Spacing is the key to winning, spacing throws, naner placement, everything. naner-less skills shine in this matchup also because there are times when you have to go head on against your opponent without nanerz. Oh yeah, don't forget the pluck edgeguard, diddy sucks against his own edgeguarding skills :D as the nanerz falling down deploy his barrels and screw up his side b so you can edgehog him. Just practice is all and you will kill other diddys who dont know how to play against their own character. if you're opponent diddy has control of the bananas, then try and space yourself away so you can pick it up on the grond with a (NOT A DASH ATTACK), if you dash attack like crazy you'll just trip everywhere and be punished.

Can we go over ice climbers? It's a fun matchup, but can be very bad as well. Diddy dittos don't need alot of in-depth discussion, can we do two at a time? Ice climbers that know how to handle the nanerz can be pretty nasty, they even have a glide toss.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Lets do lucario, since ice climbers (to me) are nearly impossible. All they have to do is shield grab and you are 2 more grabs away from Ko range. You cant dash attack against them, nor can you grab them since the other person will defend them. It's so frustrating going against ice climbers since they have the best defense in the game, another player that doesn't effect your damage and friendly fire (kinda). The one plus is that they are relatively easy to edgeguard.

Lucario is a more even matchup that I'd like to discuss more.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Okay, so let's include Lucario as well.
Ice Climbers will be next week.

If we keep doing double up weeks, it'll make covering everyone that much faster as well.

pastaboy

Smash Champion
hmm for the lucario match up id say dont try to punish the afterlag of the fsmash if u sheild it or spot dodge it, i think his jab comes out rly rly fast. Some lucarios mite try and counter your bananas when you throw them but i don't know how effective that is. Getting ther first kill is extremly important too, you will have a better chance of winning if you do.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I have a lot to say about this match-up, but I would say that this match-up is easy money. Diddy has at least has a 6:4 advantage over Ice Climbers.
They listed it as 5:5 in their matchup thread but I thought it originally to be 6:4 too

Count

Smash Champion
I just beat melee1s ice climbers and meta knight online then he disputed. I have video of him losing to my scrub self as meta knight so that will be up shortly =).

Luigi player

Smash Master
I don't like Lucario =/

It's a tough matchup for me, and not just with Diddy.

The problem here is that Diddy kills at really high percent. And that the Lucario will get stronger the more he has... and he's getting more and more defensive too since he doesn't want to die.

This makes it nearly impossible to KO him or even hit him. His dodge is way too good. At least Diddy has bananas to make this easier.

Lucarios fallspeed is really slow, so it's not easy to edgeguard him (imo). It's also really hard to hit him in the air, because Lucarios attacks have so much "priority" and range.

I think the best way to beat him is just using bananas wisely and maybe dash attack him if he wants rolls alot?

You also can't really think you've won if you've already KO'd him 2 times and still have 3 stock, because he most likely will get you down to your last stock, because he'll be so overpowered you'd love to play a MK instead.

ADHD

Smash Hero
luigi player you just have to be very patient, lucario is very good at punishing diddy's mistakes so don't blindly play it like the usual. You just have to go slow and be accurate to win. It's really not that hard when you learn how and plus patience is the best thing a diddy player could have save your dsmash for the KO too.

ADHD

Smash Hero
This place is dead, I'll talk a little bit about what I know from facing lucarios (which is hardly often)

Anyway, lucario doesn't have a glide toss, which is a big bonus because it means his naner offensive capabilities are very limited and predictable. You can naner edgeguard him by plucking them out so he up b's into them, then follow it with a fair or spike. There's hardly anything to say about fighting lucario because it's all straightforward, but you just want to save your dsmash to KO him because you absolutely don't want him at very high percent. Avoid the dairs, they are the most annoying thing lucario can do to a diddy. Abuse your nanerz, he can't do much about them and they help you evade his frustrating priority. Not that hard of a matchup, just don't let him get those nasty strain of attacks on you and stay grounded unless he's in a vunerable position and diddy should do fine.

I say 60-40 in lucario's favor.

Player-1

Smash Legend
The main thing that always kills me is his Fair to Fsmash. In case no one knows much about it, Lucario players can Fair DI backwards and Fsmash. It's kind of a mind game because you never think the Fsmash will get close to you and you tihnk you have enough time to attack. Well you don't, so the main thing I usually try to do is not running around randomly with dash attacks

Top Bottom