• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**Diddy Kong [Old] General Match-Ups**

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You're right. I exaggerated. My point remains the same though. Wolf does have an advantage. Nothing, that a good diddy can't handle but in Wolfs favour

ADHD

Smash Hero
You're right. I exaggerated. My point remains the same though. Wolf does have an advantage. Nothing, that a good diddy can't handle but in Wolfs favour
we've pretty much covered wolf now right? Can we move on theres not much more to say

Can we go to d3? I really have trouble with high level tourney d3s for some reason and its odd because this is a matchup that diddy has the advantage in

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
we've pretty much covered wolf now right? Can we move on theres not much more to say

Can we go to d3? I really have trouble with high level tourney d3s for some reason and its odd because this is a matchup that diddy has the advantage in
I feel like I could write a short dissertation on the D3 match-up. =) I'd like to wait out the Wolf topic until the week's up though, because I think it's still an important match-up to learn.

EDIT: Vyse - I'll do some researching in other character forums over the next couple of days to decide what the most effective match-up analysis format would be. At this point, anything would be an improvement, though. =) My primary quibble with it at the moment is that the short length of the quote blocking breaks up the overall visual flow and generally becomes an aesthetic train wreck. We're also going to need descriptions a great deal more in-depth than the placeholders that we currently have up front. Arbitrary statistical odds and a superficial blurbs just aren't very helpful at the end of the day. I'd also suggest adding character entries with each passing week (like most all the other threads do), just for the sake of consistency and ease of navigation.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Wolf is not that big of a problem at all.Wolf is one of the few characters that have little to no options against Diddy's Air - Chasing skills. Sure Wolf has great momentum in the air but all Diddy has to do against him is walk where he is going to land and shield grab him. Air-Chasing gives diddy a GREAT ability to easily build damage on Wolf.

Wolfs options in the air after Diddy up throws him-

1. DI
2. Air Dodge
3. Aerials/Shine
4. Just Fall
5. Up-B/Side-B
6. Other...

All of these options can be easily shield grabbed except the up-b/side-b and even then you can just run to where they are going to land and punish them on their landing lag (possibly with another up-throw) I go into greater detail and touch on a lot of tricks in my ADS under Air-Chasing.
Check it out ----> http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190686

-advent-

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
does anyone else have a hard time with really patient and smart and campy snakes?

that like to grenade counter any attacks, lots of grenades and explosives everywhere, sit in their shield, tilt if you try to get close, too smart to get spiked.

my freinds snake is too good. in tounrmanet I only got him to 60% on his last life both games. too hard to avoid the stuff and get in, the whole map explodes lol

saberhof

Smash Master
just learn to play like him... if he tries to snake dash or anything, turn around and shield, when he passes by just grab him...

paitence fTW

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Ive played snake plenty. And I was being patient as can be.

me and hall are 2-2 in snake/diddy in tournament now

I want to see you play Hall sabehof, halls ranked 3 in san diego. Youve been meaning to make it to a chula tounrey sometime but have no money tkd says

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
does anyone else have a hard time with really patient and smart and campy snakes?
Not true . maybe your just bad
that like to grenade counter any attacks, lots of grenades and explosives everywhere, sit in their shield, tilt if you try to get close, too smart to get spiked.

my freinds snake is too good. in tounrmanet I only got him to 60% on his last life both games. too hard to avoid the stuff and get in, the whole map explodes lol

play smarter
hmm.. Deja vu?

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Lol that is funny

But Snake is alot better character than olimar

that post must have taken you a long time to make the quotes

And I dont care about the boards

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Le_THieN:
Feces Consumption aside, I've come up with a new layout for matchup descriptions.
Check out the first post for the layout. So far I've only done Wolf, but I'll get to laying out the matchups we've done so far in a similar fashion.

Originally, I was going to put a picture of each character, but when the other pics go up, it's going to make the front page a pain in the rear.

Go check it out.

Basically, I start with my own summary of thoughts, give an arbitrary number, place in a summary quote that I believe is well informed and concise, and provide links to posts analysing these matchups.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
The new layout for the OP is excellent i must say. It shows all the sources of informations. Very good.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

Play smarter.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Le THieN vs. Hylian Money Match @ HOBO 10 or 11 - $60

I hope you have a lot of Warlock Wizard Sizzle Boot experience, son, because I'm going to be U-tilting you with Ganondorf all day long.
Or we could just play friendlies :).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Phew! Thanks for not calling out my bluff. I'm only interested in Xyro's money, anyway. =)
I wouldn't feel right taking your money :).

Just kidding :). I'm scared of diddy players >_>.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Actually I do have trouble with Snake now. I just played a really good snake on wifi and it was really hard to gimp him since when I tried to recover he would gimp me back. I tried the barrel spike a lot but the cipher canceled it. I do it in training all the time, but this time it didn't work. He would just spam f tilts and if I tried to Fair or Bair him, he would Utilt. He outranges the Dsmash. Another thing that he would do was Ftilt to Fsmash and I would roll over to him every single time after I fell from the Ftilt. It was so frustrating. Grenades, c4 and Nikita weren't a problem for me though. But that's because he owned me with everything else.

Before you say use your bananas, he kept them away from me. I got him up to 80% the first time I played him on the first stock, and then he Ftilted me away and got rid of the bananas, and then he wouldn't let me use them again by pressuring me.

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
I don't think you're ever supposed to attempt close-combat on a Snake, at least with no nanerz around .=/

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I know that, you get outranged and outprioritized. But he won't let me get the bananas back because he mortar slides and then pressures me with jabs and ftilts.

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
Shield the slides, then grab him and throw. Quickly get your nanerz(or set some up) and continue, be sure not to throw them where Snake can catch you off-guard with a mortar slide or another tech and prevent you from using or retrieving them.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Meh I actually think falco is easy now

I vs'd kismet and you just have to be careful when throwing nanerz and be aggressive in their face. The chaingrab really doesn't do anything since diddy can get right back up to the stage

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
This week we're going to step it up a notch.

I think from now on, I'm going to make the weekly discussions a double up affair.
Each week, we'll talk about a High/Top tier character and a Middle/Low tier character, for the sake of getting through these character discussions quicker.

So this week we'll take Dedede from the top end, and Yoshi from the bottom end (Only because I want to see Mmac post in here again <3)

---

The Dedede matchup can go alot like, say, the Ike Matchup. It's relatively easy as long as you don't make mistakes. The difference being that Dedede has many more options to make a monkey out of you (Pardon the pun) and punishes just as hard.

It should also be noted that Dedede can chaingrab Diddy as well, but with smart banana placement, this can be avoided somewhat.

Both characters are able to edgeguard really well, but Dedede has an easier time achieving this due to his aerial dominance in general.

Controlling the match with your bananas is what will net you the victory here. I mean, that will net you the victory in any match, but this matchup can really exemplify it.

---

As for Yoshi, I honestly don't have a very worthwhile opinion. I've only ever played against one Yoshi, and I don't remember much about the matchup, except that it seemed to be fairly even the whole way through. The whole match seemed to consist of trading hits and nothing else.

And I'll admit that it's strange that I don't know this matchup, when my state is infested by (3) Yoshi players. You know that when you go to an STD and one quarter of the players there are Yoshi mains in both Melee and Brawl, there's something wrong (Or very very right :p)

So I'd like to hear (read) your observations on that one
: ]

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Against D3 you need to space well. His Ftilt has enormous range (you might be able to crawl under, this would be a good approach), and if you get shield grabbed you could take a lot of damage.

Your bananas are a GREAT tool in this matchup. D3 doesn't have such a great answer without a reflector. Also he's a big target so SH thrown bananas will probably hit him too. Peanuts are nice as well, because even at the height of their arc they will hit D3.

Basically you want to get a combo going with the bananas and keep the control from there. Keep a banana behind you if you think you might get chaingrabbed.

His recovery covers quite a big distance. Each of his jumps is rather small though: try some banana and peanut edgeguarding to limit how far he gets with his jumps and make him rely on his up B to return, then punish it.

Throw him a lot -- it gives him no opportunity to shieldgrab and also you can position him to your liking. Your throws also won't be finishers against him due to his heavy weight, so it doesn't matter if you use them. Save your Dsmash and Fsmash until he's about 120 - 130%. If he survives one, just use the other next time (assuming he was close to death).

Your dtilt is a nice move in this match because it outranges his and you can also dtilt -> glidetoss -> combo of your choice if you're holding a banana while dtilting. It's a good shield pressure move too since D3 is big.

His aerial game is slower than Diddy's but he has more range. Try to bait out his aerials so that you can then punish him. Getting him into the air is a good way to combo him since he only has 2 really quick responses (nair and bair). Try not to stick to only aerials though; keep using your projectile game to your advantage so you can avoid some of his more ranged attacks (all of his aerials but nair pretty much).

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Diddy has weird edgeguards on Yoshi.

The matchup is pretty fun and challenging for both players once Yoshi knows how to get rid of bananas.

If Yoshi can't deal with bananas or doesn't have the patience to work past them, Diddy has won.

This is less about characters and more about playstyles and mentality.

Diddy should try to not get grabbed, which I find pretty hard when I'm playing as Diddy, because when he does, it's at least 40-60%, if not an entire stock.

Diddy should spam forward smash. A lot. Neutral air is suprisingly good in this matchup for him, too.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I was the dude that was playing you the other day shiri. And I was just messing around with diddy against yoshi. At first I thought yoshi had an advantage due to his sliding animation, but it isn't that bad, I can always get in a Dsmash or Fsmash if my spacing is good. Diddy Kong can edgeguard Yoshi! Ive done it against a few, and to be honest some of them were lucky.

However diddy players should watch out for the sliding usmash and the chain grab. Always have a banana behind you so that Yoshi trips while grabbing. Diddy is one of the easiest to CG with Yoshi.

I would say 55:45 or 60:40 in Diddy's favor.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
King Dedede Match-Up

King Dedede's Advantages:
• massive ground range
• superior speed and priority on primary aerial attacks
• Waddle Dees can potentially interfere with banana setups
• high capacity for early KOs
• massive, nearly ungimpable recovery
• heavyweight

Diddy's Advantages:
• superior ground speed
• more versatile ground offense
• quickly racks up damage
• D3's sheer size doubles his susceptibility to combos
• nearly omnipresent stage control via projectile pressure
• bananas negate chain-grab

As far as specific notes on the match-up go, one of the main things you need to be a little bit concerned with is when you're approaching D3 in the air. D3 will often take to the skies after he posts up a Waddle Dee or two in order to temporarily discourage glide-tossing approaches. B-air will beat your aerial approaches more often than not, and N-air - although not particularly very strong - has instant activation. His multiple jumps also makes approaching him while he's airborne a headache, as he can advance to pressure and retreat at will without the threat of being shield-grabbed looming over him. It's very possible to punish both moves with appropriate spacing, but I never even bother going head to head in an aerial battle. I prefer to bring him back to the ground with arced popgun shots or jump-thrown bananas.

The infamous D3 chain-grab is pretty simple to deter; make sure there's a always a banana around, or even in your hand in the event that D3's D-throw forces you to accidentally drop it. Even if you end up eating a few D-throws and end up off-stage, use your recovery options wisely and even space yourself away from an approaching D3 who his trying to gimp you if necessary. He'll have a much harder time chasing you off-stage if you're rocket-barreling from great distances. Avoid being put in a position where you have to recover below stage level though, because D3 will have a considerably easier time gimping you.

There's some debate and clarification needed on this next point, but it's unclear whether or not Diddy is one of the few characters who can create enough separation between him and D3 in-between grabs in order to spot-dodge or roll away by smash DIing. In the few matches I've had with Texas' Fogo, this would seem to be the case, but others argue that it's simply user error; that players occasionally just don't activate the dash grab at the first available frame they're allowed to act. Either way, smash DIing never hurt anyone, and capitalizing on the opportunity of whiffed dash grabs comes up surprisingly often. One of my favorite go-to moves after side-stepping a dash-grab approach is to U-smash upon reappearance.

D3 out-ranges you on the ground with three specific moves (F-smash, F-tilt and his jab combo), but the lag on these as well as the remainder of his ground arsenal are so punishable, it's almost laughable. Unless you've already breached his defenses with a banana, there's really no reason to be that close to him, anyway. You can't go wrong with being on either the offense or defense in this match-up, especially since both modes tend to yield very favorable results. Diddy far and away outclasses D3 on defense, so if he decides to start turtling behind Waddle Dees, start pressuring with arced peanuts and jump-tossed bananas. Hell, you can even run past the Waddle Dees and glide-toss. Once you're in range, it ought to be Combo City from there.

The only ground move that I would be wary of his U-tilt. It's one of the faster options he has, and can kill in the range of 90% if it's been kept fresh. Although D3's actual defense game isn't great against Diddy, his actual tools (particularly his fast spot-dodge and fast, long roll) are great. If you whiff a cartwheel due to a spot-dodge and you're in critical percentages, expect to eat an U-tilt and die. Likewise, D3 can just space his roll to where he reappears in range and still use the move on you. Although considerably less common, D3's U-tilt can double as an anti-air tactic due to the invincibility frames he has at the very beginning of the move.

The last thing you all need to really consider is actively saving your smashes. Pick one - it doesn't matter. Otherwise, you'll be racking up anywhere between 400-600% between two or three stocks every match, and that's a lot of unnecessary work. It goes without saying that D3 is one of the heaviest characters in the game, and he has a tendency to make move decay become quickly and painfully apparent. In the one or two times I've lost to a D3 ever, it's solely because I mismanaged my KO moves.

That covers all the important things I can think of. Honestly, even though there are certain aspects of this match-up that need to be observed and addressed as the match unfolds, this ought to be cake. This is one of D3's asininely terrible match-ups, and his shortcomings here need to be exploited to the fullest extent. Only carelessness and laziness are your enemies. Watch out for that rare but still perilous death at 30% at the edge of the stage. That can really derail your momentum if you're having to spend the remainder of your stocks playing catch up because you either hesitated to challenge the F-smash or because you blindly ran into it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that even if you aren't necessarily being chain-thrown across the entire length of a stage, always be conscious of D3's grab range. It's definitely a top contender for longest, non-tethered grab, and having this applied in a reverse pivot makes it even more ridiculous-looking. D3 lacks proper setups out of D-throw or F-throw if he isn't near the ledge, but it can certainly spell trouble for you later down the stock if you're eating 7-9% at a time during several points of the match.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
haha i love how you pointed out the weird things that i do as "dangerous" or "things to look out for" lol

when you coming back to D-town? I'll throw you and your crew a tournament or something :)

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
haha i love how you pointed out the weird things that i do as "dangerous" or "things to look out for" lol
That U-tilt is sick, man. =) I've had a bit of D3 practice since I played you, and they have all mostly been inferior versions of you. You tightened up your game a boatload between that bi-weekly I first met you guys at and the tournament you and Bwett drove up for, so I got to see a few new things. Also, I've watched a few D3 videos from some other supposedly reputable players, and you all have pretty similar styles. That, or D3's meta-game just doesn't look that different across the board. Either way, these are all tactics to be feared. =)

when you coming back to D-town? I'll throw you and your crew a tournament or something :)
Very, very soon, actually - probably next weekend. I'll be alone unfortunately (visiting the 'rents), but I would totally be up for hanging with you guys and knockin' out a few friendlies.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Yoshi vs. Diddy is kinda weird. I'd say slightly in Diddy's favor, or closer to neutral.
Naners don't really hurt Yoshi as badly as most other characters, because he's more aerial-based. However, they're handy to keep around in case he's running at you for a grab. Yoshi won't really hesitate to jump out of your naner combos if he's trapped on the ground, so the damage-racking aspect of Diddy's game is a bit tougher to pull off. Both characters have trouble killing, with a slight advantage to Yoshi in this circumstance, but not so much that it's really an issue.
Diddy's main problem in this matchup is that most of his attacks (except continuous jab and possibly bair) get outranged. This problem can be mostly eliminated by running a close range game, something that Diddy isn't too bad at between his jab, tilts and grab.

Top Bottom