• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do NOT upgrade your Wii to 4.2 through Nintendo -- Safe Update!

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, what interests me is the spawn glitch in The Conduit getting fixed. I need that IOS, so if there's a .WAD for it, send it my way. (Although, I haven't even updated and the spawn glitch hasn't appeared for me as much as it used to, I've only gotten it twice this past week which is a new record, it makes me think that they really DIDN'T fix it and it's just a coincidence).

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Falco400, I can give you the IOS names you need to get the WAD from NUS Downloader. Just choose the pack wad feature and install it using Waninkoko's __________ (so I don't get infracted) and then your good.

Or use Dop IOS v8 with network stuff.

The new IOS's are IOS56, 57, 61, 38 and 70.

So patch all, I think its 57 since 56 is for Wii Speak, 38 is for animal crossing (although 38 could definitely be true, since both have Wii Speak capability) and 57 is generally for shooter games. Its not 70 or 61.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I guess I'll just run games through Gecko OS if I actually purchase anything else for the wii. Don't want to risk bricking just so I can buy games for the VC, just because I felt bad for using emus. Not like Earthbound is on the Virtual console anyway.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
If you read the updated TOS in the 3.4 update, they can. It's only a matter of time until they use that right. You should turn WiiConnect24 off. That Yellow light might betray you.

I hope Obama's Wii suvives this because if not, well......

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't have said it better myself. =D

Once you agree to their Terms of Service, they have the right to brick your Wii if you don't abide by them. As such, what Nintendo is doing is obnoxious and controlling, but not illegal in the slightest.

And the misconception that not abiding by Terms of Service once you've agreed to them is illegal is incorrect. Homebrew itself isn't illegal, only the use of it to do pirate things.
I believe their was a case awhile back stating that the terms of service imposed by the gaming compines are not legally binding ones. I think this came up with something relating to blizzard and warcraft.

I do know however that Nintendo can not brick your system through terms of service due to the fact such contracts signed by minors are considered invalid in terms of the law. The most they could do would be to bar you from all online activities as that requires the use of their machines and programs to operate.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
cobalt beat me to it.

You buy the Wii, so Nintendo intentionally rendering what is now your property inoperable is a liability risk for them. They can revoke your warranty for modding (they aren't going to take responsibility for you screwing up your Wii without you paying) and ban you from their online services for modding (you don't buy Nintendo's online services after all so not agreeing to their terms does give them the right to refuse servicing you). But if they essentially destroy your Wii, they risk a nasty lawsuit.

This maybe the reason Ninty hasn't done an auto-update yet...

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Its not illegal.

Updates work with perfectly pure wii's(or they SHOULD). If your wii bricks because it wasnt pure(because YOU made it unpure) then its your fault.

Its the same as nintendo saying, "we didnt make the wii water proof" and u take it swimming with you. YOU broke it(wether its direct or indirect).

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Its not illegal.

Updates work with perfectly pure wii's(or they SHOULD). If your wii bricks because it wasnt pure(because YOU made it unpure) then its your fault.

Its the same as nintendo saying, "we didnt make the wii water proof" and u take it swimming with you. YOU broke it(wether its direct or indirect).
Wrong. Because of the faulty code used for updating boot2, even virgin wiis are getting bricked as a result of this update.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board?board.id=wii_tech

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Its not illegal.

See, this works fine when you can refuse updates like you can currently. When an update comes, you get a message from Ninty telling you about it and asking do you want to. They even have the decency to tell you a little about the risks if you have "unauthorized modifications". But it may get muddled if they act on the added part of the 3.4 ToS.

They might be able to defend themselves by saying somewhere before an auto-update that you can refuse them by turning off Wiiconnect24... I think...

or maybe not? IDK

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Wrong. Because of the faulty code used for updating boot2, even virgin wiis are getting bricked as a result of this update.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board?board.id=wii_tech
for pure wii's there is a fix. i posted the link before you. thats not what im arguing.
if we wanted to, we could argue the very same thing with the opening batch of 360s.

See, this works fine when you can refuse updates like you can currently. When an update comes, you get a message from Ninty telling you about it and asking do you want to. They even have the decency to tell you a little about the risks if you have "unauthorized modifications". But it may get muddled if they act on the added part of the 3.4 ToS.

They might be able to defend themselves by saying somewhere before an auto-update that you can refuse them by turning off Wiiconnect24... I think...

or maybe not? IDK
you are 100% correct.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
for pure wii's there is a fix. i posted the link before you. thats not what im arguing.
if we wanted to, we could argue the very same thing with the opening batch of 360s..
Yes, sending it into Nintendo and getting a brand new Wii.

Savemiifrii, Savemii, bootmii, none of these will save your Wii if it has been bricked. There is nothing they can do to fix it unless you go to Nintendo.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
if we wanted to, we could argue the very same thing with the opening batch of 360s.
Excuse me? You just stated that bricking your wii = your fault, even when it's nintendo's update that causes the brick. You can be using your wii exactly as you are supposed to (note that "using your wii as you're supposed to" includes performing regular updates when prompted), and even if you don't do anything wrong at all except agree to an update that is provided by nintendo, you can still get a brick by updating. There is no way that you can argue this is operator error. The error is in the code used by nintendo. Furthermore, there shouldn't even be a need for a "fix" in the first place if you did everything right. The only people who should have to "fix" anything are those who screwed up.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^lulz.
Thanks for this, I was going to install homebrew recently and I had Wiiupdate turned off anyways, but still, this is a good reason to keep it off. ^_^

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I updated my Wii for the lulz, and nothing was deleted. Homebrew Channel and WAD Manager were still intact and functional. I ran the 1.0.5 installer after checking everything to see if it worked just to be on the safe side. This update did literally nothing to remove any of my unauthorized software. It's like I was spinning a roulette wheel just to see if my Wii would brick or not. If I won, I got a 4.2U in my Wii settings. If I lost, whoops.

spiderjjr45

Smash Apprentice
WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MY BRAWL!?!

Whenever I try to apply the file replacement code, my brawl loads with a black screen. ALWAYS.
This only happened after I used Wanikoko's 4.2 upgrader. Can someone help me? I'm desperate!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I updated my Wii for the lulz, and nothing was deleted. Homebrew Channel and WAD Manager were still intact and functional. I ran the 1.0.5 installer after checking everything to see if it worked just to be on the safe side. This update did literally nothing to remove any of my unauthorized software. It's like I was spinning a roulette wheel just to see if my Wii would brick or not. If I won, I got a 4.2U in my Wii settings. If I lost, whoops.
Mines as well, though my Geko OS 1.9.2 didn't work for a moment, but not too long. I updated HBC before the Wii update however.

Edited: Also epic font color. =3

sasook

Smash Champion
Does this mean it's okay to update then? o.o

I know the OP says not to but, I'm just curious.

SonicChrono

Smash Cadet
^lulz.
Thanks for this, I was going to install homebrew recently and I had Wiiupdate turned off anyways, but still, this is a good reason to keep it off. ^_^
I was able to reinstall HBC after the 4.2 System Update was installed by mistake with the StackSmash Exploit. And now I can play Brawl+ again. Added most of MASTERLINX's custom songs onto my SD Card, enjoying "Running In The 90s" on the Pictochat Stage.

Good thing I turned off WiiConnect24. Never running into future updates anymore.

^_^

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Does this mean it's okay to update then? o.o

I know the OP says not to but, I'm just curious.
Not unless you want to do Waninkoko's Firmware Updater 4.2, but even then its made of fail, I see no point in updating at all unless you want the Shop Channel back

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I got the update(before seeing this unfortunately) but I've never hacked my wii in any way, shape or form.
Am I in the clear? or could my wii still get bricked anyway?
As far as I know, your Wii will only get cinder blocked Bricked during the download, not after.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I got the update(before seeing this unfortunately) but I've never hacked my wii in any way, shape or form.
Am I in the clear? or could my wii still get bricked anyway?
If you never hacked your Wii as you said, it shouldn't harm it but there have been reports of Wii's bricking during halfway to the update.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I hope you didn't do that manually :rob:

Top Bottom