• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do NOT upgrade your Wii to 4.2 through Nintendo -- Safe Update!

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
It makes it so if there is a bad code that corrupts your save file, you can restore it because of stupid copy protections that stop you from backing up your save file on the SD card. Also, it lets you protect so much of your Wii.

This also currently closes the door on the ability to install it.
Actually, that sounds kinda familiar. Maybe I already have it, I know I backed up my Animal Crossing save file using some app...

But I'll just avoid this update for now in any case.

spiderjjr45

Smash Apprentice
I haven't updated to 4.2, but I left WiiConnect24 on for a day when it came out. I'm still at 4.0, but now no codes that I apply to brawl ever work, is it possible that WiiConnect24 updated parts of my firmware without completely turning it into 4.2?

Alphatron

Smash Champion
lol. Appearantly, Attack of the show on G4 was talking about homebrew apps ten days prior to the update.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
i never updating my wii since i ever bought it, prechipped, 3.3 never went up from then on. Who needs WADs, VC or Wiiwares on an SD or HC for that matter?

Im actually surprised to see so many people shocked. Should already realize by now Nintendo is fully aware of what HBC is and is desperately trying to kill it.

Come to think about it that's probably why they dropped the price of the Wii, to promote newer versions of it so that those newcomers cant install any homebrew ever.

Depster

Smash Champion
lol. Appearantly, Attack of the show on G4 was talking about homebrew apps ten days prior to the update.
The last issue of Popular Science magazine endorsed putting HBC on DSi's =p Not only that, but it told people where to go to get the file and that they absolutely needed emulators for free games...

comboking

Smash Master
They didn't say anything illegal did they? G4 stinks most of their reviews of Wii games aren't very good.

I got it to work without using a WAD. YES You guys still can't get your free NES game yet btw.

comboking

Smash Master
We want to be able to use the Wii shop channel. And have our wiis to the fullest it can be with hacks.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Oh I just remembered about the free NES game you get if you bought the internet channel...what a trap :urg:

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yep, we just need to find the update patch for it, which shouldn't take that long and we essentially have a complete upgrade. Right now use Gecko OS and as long as you don't care about region free and copy save protection, your good. (or no BMG music).

lucha5

Banned via Warnings
um im on vacation now, when i get back home and turn my wii on will i have a chance to avoid the update?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yes you should. If your really worried, just make sure it isn't connected to the wifi when you go. Just moving your Wii 1 mile away and going to a friends house is guaranteed to do this. Turn WC24 off and your fine,

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have the link to the unistaller for homebrew? I deleted the channel, but I think the code is still in the Wii. Sorry, but I use my Wii for more than just Brawl, and an update will be required eventually.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Anyone have the link to the unistaller for homebrew? I deleted the channel, but I think the code is still in the Wii. Sorry, but I use my Wii for more than just Brawl, and an update will be required eventually.
Why the **** would you ever do that *******. I just created a method so HBC works fine on 4.2U with the work of others. Now reinstall it.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
but I think the code is still in the Wii.
I think you're getting a bit paranoid here. Once you delete HBC, it's just gone, that's it. There is no code still in the Wii, unless you installed DVDx or BootMii.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
Why so serious? If he doesn't want HB, let him.
This. These updates from Big N are becoming more frequent, and I simply don't care to keep track of it. The only thing I use it for is no trip/longer replays for Brawl, but since my friend has 2 wiis that already have this (and always has them on him) I just don't see he need for it. *shrug*

I think you're getting a bit paranoid here. Once you delete HBC, it's just gone, that's it. There is no code still in the Wii, unless you installed DVDx or BootMii.
True, but these things tend to leave IDs and tiny strands behind...but, upon reading the homebrew wiki and official statement from Nintendo on the update, it doesn't seem this will cause any problems (as I've had HBC removed for a while now). I was just worried about my Wii becoming unplayable (bricked), but all 4.2 does is erase the channels anyways. I'll probably reinstall it later down the road, when the updates become more stable.

There is the title ID, which is likely still installed meaning you can run it off the SD card. Use AnyTitleDeleter to get rid of that if you wish. Or update to 4.2U. Either works.
Yeah, this. Thanks for the info, good to know. I should be fine now.

Top Bottom