• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Tyser

Smash Champion
I think it's pretty effective with Samus but I guess that's my opinion :S Thanks for the information fellas.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I think it's pretty effective with Samus but I guess that's my opinion :S Thanks for the information fellas.
I'm sorry =( I feel bad now... I mean... do it if it works... I'm just saying... it's not that great on paper =(

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I had a few giggles at that thread... and the Fox gentleman one... where you were like... "Grabs aren't even useful with Falcon."

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
oh snap i remember that

i didnt say they werent useful....i think i said you dont need them that badly to win a match

lol im a noob sometimes...but im pretty sexy so it evens out to me being sexy lolol

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
That's like... most of the reason I stopped going to Falcon boards. They don't really give advice anymore, they're just like...

"How do I beat Falco? I get combo'd for a lot of damage all the time and I can't combo him or anything because of the way he falls and because he outprioritizes me."
"Falco's pillars **** Falcon BUT FALCON IS MORE MANLY AUTOWIN!!"

"Can Falcon sweetspot? I keep getting killed by edgeguards. I was messing around with back-grabbing the ledge, but I think I might be able to be hit out of that too."
"JUST KNEE HIM IN THE FACE!! SEXY!!"

"How do I deal with projectiles? Falco's short hop lasers and Sheik's needle cancels make my dash dancing difficult to do and sometimes pin me down which leads to me being combo'd."
"FALCON DON'T NEED NO ***** PROJECTILES!! SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!!"

Followed by a lot of Scar fanboyism and random agreement.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
all that stuff is true lol i mean yea that falcon boards have sucked big balls for a loonnggg time. but what can you do? sexiest character in the game thank you very much. plus his game isnt that deep so there not much to tell people thats not already there. and hey scar is sexy ok.

i defiantly started the sexy thing....well calling moves and stuff sexy...not like falcon himself...im sexy =D

FYASKO

Smash Apprentice
zomg
dogy i cant seem to find one of your walls of text im looking for to show someone because im honestly too lazy to type it out, although i suppose i've ***** my laziness in the *** by going through likw 30 pages of forum spam,

could u sum up why doc falcon is a stupid *** match up for doc if you have the time for me.
ty ^_^

also yay im going controller shopping w/ ppl tomorrow and celebrating new years and stuff at raynex's before we all go to ct =D
also
roman doc ditto set?
maybe mm? =D

hi jona <3

my new alias is a month old in a few days !!!!!
i think he finally stopped banning me ^_^

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I dunno, Falcon is still a character I'm working on. The combos are probably some of the hardest to do in the game, with DI prediction and all.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
hey..chris was it? what do you mean by your working on it elven?

i know that doc gets ***** by just his nair, but any sane person that plays the game and likes to be sexy(like me) wont just nar cuz thats being gay. it doesnt take much for falcon to **** doc in a combo. you can seriously like do something crazy like.....dair,jab,jab,grab,d throw,nair,uairx2, uair dj knee....

ive done it.....lol

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Chris? Wha?

I dunno, I can get knees off of simple stuff like dairs, Raptor Boost and dthrows, but that's about it. I've got the nair to grab down and am working on the nair to knee, but I've got nothing close to the really good Falcons with their nair/uair combos.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
fyasko's real name is chris if im correct.

and the match up isnt hard at all if you have decent room to space your nairs and falling uairs. and you know run around a bit, platform dash, and just look sexy while you mindgame them

FYASKO

Smash Apprentice
oh wtf
**** just got serious

-talks enormous amounts of **** in the the way of 'p'-
U GUYS SUCK IMA RTAEP U LOOOLOLOLOLLLOL

jk <3
lots of dittos D:

finally get to me ze doc boards XP
****in canada johns

Roman.

Smash Champion
zomg
dogy i cant seem to find one of your walls of text im looking for to show someone because im honestly too lazy to type it out, although i suppose i've ***** my laziness in the *** by going through likw 30 pages of forum spam,

could u sum up why doc falcon is a stupid *** match up for doc if you have the time for me.
ty ^_^

also yay im going controller shopping w/ ppl tomorrow and celebrating new years and stuff at raynex's before we all go to ct =D
also
roman doc ditto set?
maybe mm? =D

hi jona <3

my new alias is a month old in a few days !!!!!
i think he finally stopped banning me ^_^
doc dittos are hella boring but i'll do some

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
sheik cant chaingrab doc in ntsc anyway. I think if she can, it's like, some bull**** low % chaingrab that doenst really do anything.

But pal sheik.

*thinks* Still has f.air and tilts. And needles. So yeah, it's still pretty bad. And it's not so much of how far the fair sends you (since that got nerfed in pal), it's that she can lock doc down with f.air and f.tilt, properly spaced.

And then sheik edgeguarding doc is still just as bad, since she still has needles. One well placed needle kills docs recovery. Literally.

Now heres where I can help.

So about the matchup vs sheik in PAL

I think the main thing is the sheik dthrow. I've seen in NTSC how it will always setup for a fair or and upair (and upair kills which for me is just crazy :dizzy:). So I think it's fair to say it's easier. Other than that it's a case of if you get dthow by a sheik but you're near the ledge, you can DI away for the ledge and be completely safe :chuckle:. Yeah, I'd say sheiks dthrow is a bit more like CF's Dthrow in PAL. The only other difference is that upair doesn't kill.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
whaaaaat doc dittos rule :D I just hate getting caped cause I'm used to regular sweetspots, not super magnet-hand anti-cape sweetspots

Falcinho

Smash Ace
@DogySamich: yeah, the sheik i played against missed most of the edgeguard now that i think of it.
I gotta wait till he gets used to the matchup or play a better sheik to get a better vision of how the matchup works.

@BulletBill: yeah that's what in meant. it's still bad to get grabbed, but not ntsc-bad

On another note, I'm just getting used to Doc's movement and approach-game.
I mean, i mained Doc for 2 monts or sth, but that was about one year ago and i had no clue how to use pills and to approach i mainly used FJ-pill to waveland, shffl'd nair or SH to waveland back.

Now i found out about how awsome dash canceling is with Doc
If i got the time and space to do it i like to dash in -->dash cancel-->spaced ftilt

Are there any bad things about this approach (ofc don't spam it and if the opponent moves away while i dash in i just wd back or sth).
Cuz i don't think i've seen anybody use this (i must admit i didn't watch alot of Doc vids tho)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Hmm.

Well, capfal in a nutshell.

You have to wait for him to approach, because you cannot catch him with anything. He nairs. If he stays space, you cant do anything. Sure you can block nair, and i actually think you can cc d.smash even if he spaces well (i could be wrong).

__

*thinks for a second*

Ya know, i've been trying some things against capfal and having some success, but I just realized maybe i should try this from the initiave-response standpoint.

That's a format that I dont think ever gets talked about in this game at all.

__

On another note,

Im busy laughing at horribly broken fighting games

Question: If i got off my *** and did it, would you guys like another character matchup guide? Or would you rather have that general doc guide i talked about a few months ago? Or could you only care less?

Falcinho

Smash Ace
what would this general doc guide be about?

I'd love to know what you have to say about the matchups vs midtiers and above.

PS: What a shitty game Oo

Edit:
(...)
Now i found out about how awsome dash canceling is with Doc
If i got the time and space to do it i like to dash in -->dash cancel-->spaced ftilt

Are there any bad things about this approach (ofc don't spam it and if the opponent moves away while i dash in i just wd back or sth).
Cuz i don't think i've seen anybody use this (i must admit i didn't watch alot of Doc vids tho)

St. Viers

Smash Champion
dogy--make both =P

I think a general doc guide would be better, and then just have a sort of community remake of the matchup guide, or something

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Ivan Ooze. Yes. He's a legit "Upper God Tier". None of that Mugen bull****. You wanna talk about Magneto being unfair? No. Metaknight is broken? No. IVAN OOZE *****.

___

TMNT:Tournament Fighters on Sega - yeah. I dont think I ever saw the sega version (i still have SNES).

That sega game is ****ing horrid. APRIL O'NEIL ALL DAY SON!

*suplex*
*suplex*
*suplex*
*suplex*
*suplex*

YA DONE!!

___

I might just stop being a bum and do both of them. I've always wanted to write guides and i guess this would be a good start.

Anyway, the general guide would look something like this.
Note: if i go through with this, this outline will have a major overhaul. This is just what I came up with during student teaching this semester cause, well, I had to do something to keep my sanity during the day.

I) Overview
1) Purpose of the Guide
- Not specifically to help people get started with doc, but to help current docs get better
- an outlet of new ideas (meaning everything in this guide isnt exact, but it's just another way of looking at stuff)

2) Termonology
- Spacing vs Zoning
- Training vs Mindgames
- Combos vs Setups
- Checking
- Resets
- Approaching

II) Move Breakdown
(This section will list every move, and a bunch of various uses for them, such as)
1) Jab
- Jab/Jab Jab/Jab Jab Kick mixups; what you can do with it, and why you would do it
2) F.tilt
- up angles for anti air, forward for max reach, down angles for edge guarding.
3) U.Tilt
- Fastest move with knockback.
4) Upsmash
- Explination of the meteor/regular properties

III) Offense
1) Approaching
(this section would have a general section about approach, then a section for each aerial and how to approach with it, and then a last one for ground approaching)
2) Pill Approaching
3) "The 2 Tiers of Approaching"
4) Grab Game
5) Edge Guarding
6) KOing
7) Okizeme (tech chasing in this game, i just like that word)

IV) Defense
(General Section of how to play defense)
1) Shielding and OoS Game
2) Moving
3) Zoning
4) Recovering
5) Teching
6) DI

V) General Stuff
1) Mixing Up (how to mix up, what you can mix up)
2) How to read people
3) Positioning
4) Strengths and weaknesses

VI) The Pill Game
1) The Basics of Pills
- Good spacing vs bad
- FH vs SH vs Standing
2) Moving with Pills
3) Pills Approaching
4) Pill Edgeguarding
5) Pill recovery

VII) Tricks and Tips
(this section would have a bunch of random tricks, i.e. audio cue tricks, "Nintendo Power", cape dashing, doc sliding, platform canceling, and alot more stuff that i dont have on this ****ing piece of paper *crumple and toss*)

VIII) Counterpicking (....? How the **** did this wind up here)
1) Understanding how to counterpick.

VIX) In Conclusion
1) How to Practice
- Solo vs W/ People
- HOW TO practice.

_______

Again, that's stuff I pulled straight from this outline I have, alot of that stuff would get changed around.

Such as that counterpicking section would go straight in the middle. (Which reminds me, I have a fairly different outlook on counterpicking now as opposed to when the counterpicking list came about. It doesnt have to be that systematic at all.)

All this is still speculation, though soooooooooooooooooooooo. Thoughts?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Sounds like a really good guide: hell, I'm sure people are learning stuff about doec from reading your bullet point outline >_>

seriously, looks really good ^_^

FYASKO

Smash Apprentice
so i've been awake for about 2 days,
24 of them practicin with gaynex and my sexy doubles partner

anyways

am i the only one who noticed the doc - link
friends LOL

desh stos
roman spife
pine skler

-other people-

>_>

lol XD

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I guess so, but, I liked your sig. xD I think Doc Link partners are cool, I just never tried a Link as a partner, although, I had a CF as my partner. xD Luckily I knew how to dodge his attacks, lol. Ah, I miss those days... I love smash. :3 I hope I get a job for the next year (to fund some smashing with friends etc), and btw, Happy New years everyone.

Top Bottom