• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
HAHAHA
this man can win pound4 with the same bracket mango had to go through to win and he would still say hes not that great *and no dogy isn't modest*
dont you mean i am modest?
what are doc best placements in important tournaments, historically?
... *shrugs*

Not winning. I mean heck, what do you call an "important tournament", cause that's a pretty broad question.

Who knows? Just got to the Tournament Results thread and scan through the old tournaments... Recently the only placing Doc's at tournaments with known players have been Boss and Bob$
aaaand this is why the question is vague. What's a big enough tourney, what's good enough people?

FYASKO

Smash Apprentice
so yeah speaking of camping.. dont camp marths. its really really really boring.

i wouldnt do it in friendlies.
thats just gay.
but if i need to face a marth i'd have to, at least until i figure out something to take advantage of DX

ugh i forgot to log into my old account at home. -.-

edit: whats up with everyone posting with colors and fonts and stuff.
freaking lame.

**** yes

edit: dogy idk how u continually change your font.
i'd go nuts lol

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
so i have alot of trouble deciding whether I should use utilt or usmash whenever I am comboing. Is there a certain guideline, or is one better in certain situations than the other?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Utilt only works when they're above you. So utilt when they're above, usmash when they're not. Tada.

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
If you use utilt when they 're on the ground they will be send away contrary to Mario which pop them up

Desh

Smash Ace
Depends on wether or not theyre a floatie or ffer.
Also % dependant, although at higher %'s you shouldnt be looking for combos.

if you're combo'ing spacies/falcon/ ?roy? you can do either or at low %'s, depends what you're trying to set up for.
higher %'s you should be trying to get them the hell off the stage.

floaties i dont suggest you use usmash for combo'ing.
or really combo'ing in general.
u tilt would work better over all . =/

lol yeah dogy its not hard its just the color i wanted to use isnt in the drop down box so i would have had to type it out @_@, im about to see how pale turquoise looks =/

edit: maybe light blue.

edit 2: also i forgot to mention that you should take into consideration the trajectory of the utilt and how it changes depending on where you're opponent is around you =p

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Depends on wether or not theyre a floatie or ffer.
Also % dependant, although at higher %'s you shouldnt be looking for combos.

if you're combo'ing spacies/falcon/ ?roy? you can do either or at low %'s, depends what you're trying to set up for.
higher %'s you should be trying to get them the hell off the stage.

floaties i dont suggest you use usmash for combo'ing.
or really combo'ing in general.
u tilt would work better over all . =/

lol yeah dogy its not hard its just the color i wanted to use isnt in the drop down box so i would have had to type it out @_@, im about to see how pale turquoise looks =/

edit: maybe light blue.

edit 2: also i forgot to mention that you should take into consideration the trajectory of the utilt and how it changes depending on where you're opponent is around you =p
Generally I use utilt, it just seems like usmash has more hitstun and it would be easier to combo with in some cases.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^DRD: but it's much better for comboing with, and low-high mid percents--it has this odd knockback/trajectory.

****, typing in dark green makes me think I'm a mod, but this is the wrong site XD

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
the way doc's upsmash works is like this

if you hit somebody who's on the ground, it's like hitting them with a meteor, so they'll have the meteor-esque stun, and it wont really send them far.

you hit them in the air, and it's a regular upsmash.

Which is why it's kinda hard to kill somebody with an upsmash, you pretty much HAVE to hit them in the air (unless they're at some ******** percent).

As for what's better? Pick one and go with it. Depends on what you're doing.

__

And no, roy is not a ****ing fastfaller.

Desh

Smash Ace
never said he was but some some stuff that works on falcon i find also works to a degree on my friend who plays roy =/

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
final fantasy tactics a2 is freaking sexual.
anyone play?
FFT:A2? Are you serious?

That game was just a step up from the first one, that's about it. That's not hard to do.

It's aight and all; no, i take that back. I will biasedly say FFTA2 is good because sRPG is my favorite genre, but pfft beyond that.

It's like, aurablast, all day long (i think that was it, i cant remember, i'd have to turn the game on).

And then you get illusionists.

It was aight. >.>

Desh

Smash Ace
LOL yeeaaahhh
aurablast ftw.
but i dont like fighters or illusionists
all about fusiliers, assassins, dragoons, white monks =3,

i was happy that the intro to a2 wasnt a long and drawn out intro on how to play a really straight forward game, with like an hour of cut scenes wich you couldnt skip.
that **** made me crazy.

edit: i just downloaded ff crystal chronicle rings of fate, friend said it was good, ^_^

St. Viers

Smash Champion
FFTa2 was a much better game than FFTa, except that the stuff you can do after winning wasn't as cool.

Also, I disliked some of the new classes (spellblade was imo unnecessary), though having new races was fun, as the law system (much prefered over FFTa) was much better.

A more regular way to get weapons would have been nice--the bazaar was more obnoxious than it could have been.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
FFTa2 was a much better game than FFTa, except that the stuff you can do after winning wasn't as cool.

Also, I disliked some of the new classes (spellblade was imo unnecessary), though having new races was fun, as the law system (much prefered over FFTa) was much better.

A more regular way to get weapons would have been nice--the bazaar was more obnoxious than it could have been.
Well ****, i actually went to turn on my copy so i know wtf im talkin about.

Dual Wield, why the **** does square keep putting that in FFTs? It's so **** broken. Especially since there are too many **** *** 1 hand swords.

Fighters/Gladiators are ****. Yes. 2 different races, pretty much the same class, pretty much the bs.

Illusionists? Dear god why. Too ****. And then Turbo MP. ... *facepalms* throw a flintlock in there with them, Done.

Fusilers are too **** good in their own right. If i remember right, they get you past half of the laws because of how shots work. (I.e., you cant attack, but you can fireshot, which is not your attack command, for the exact same damage). Hell, Why the **** would you attack with fusiler? You can just do ____shot for the same damage and some chance at a status effect/element. OH AND THEN THEY HAVE CONCENTRATE, and i cant remember if concentrate just just gives you an accuracy boost or 100% on most stuff.

___

I dunno, in the end, my gripe about the game is it's like a majority of srpgs, there's too much broken **** built into the game. So to give yourself a challenge, you have to actually not do stuff (i.e., using illusionists, XD). It's still a fun game, though. I might actually start a 2nd game on it now that i put it back into my ds.

.... if i can convince myself to play that rather than suffer through Etrian Odyssey

--sigh--

For the record, between FFT, FFTA, and FFTA2, FFT ***** the everlasting **** out of FFTA and FFTA2. But FFT's been outdone so bad now.

It's still high tier, though.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
agreed that the original is best.

but yeah, if you're giving ac to all clanmates, you lose the drawback of ninja's which is that their stat growth (excepting speed) isn't that great--also with ac bonus from the new award system, it turns into much less than 990 ac to get it >_<

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
**** ninjas, they suck. Just learn dual wield. ****'s broken. I cant remember if it let you do double abilities in this game (i.e. Double ____ break in FFT), but who cares, having something like a paladin with dual wield can be just ********.

Hell, ninjas have always been pretty ****ty, although sunken state was a hilarious reaction skill. (is? I cant remember if it's in FFTA2).

And then Geomancers. Why the **** do they have the most ******** standards ever for their ability in this game? Not to mention you have to go through hell and high water to get one (they were one of my fav classes in FFT :( ). It's like, I was waiting for an ability that you could only use on thursdays to pop up, but there isnt one. :(

__

I didnt think the bazaar was that bad. Annoying, yes, but it actually gave you a reason to use a thief again. What I didnt like was the auction house.

__

Desh, dont get it wrong with all of my talking, it's not a bad game. Im just real picky (read: i tend to be a whiny *****) about my sRPGs cause again, it's my favorite genre. And FFTA2 didnt really have anything I like about sRPGs beyond the blatent "Hey... this game is a sRPG"

otg

Smash Master
So first of all, Doc's Utilt is a **** good move, comes out fast and beats out spotdodges...sometimes sends you at a weird angle.

Second, I played a few crewmates I don't see very often... and let's just say my Doc is sexy as hell, I got vids too :)

St. Viers

Smash Champion
@ dogy, that's what I'm saying--it used to be to get double sword, you needed to invest 990 ac as a ninja, which meant on average, 25 fights or so. Lets say you gained 5 levels in that (due to needing to use all 6 chars in the party): that was 5 levels (plus the ones gained as thief) of really sucky stat growth.

Now, you just have them learn all that without being in battle, and get to level from 2-max as a parivir or some ****. (best attack growth in game)

I dunno, the ability to steal all the equipment from people in FFTA was quite useful--accessory and weapon wise, and could be used as special use unit, by reducing the enemies defense and all. Now thiefs just get random bazaar material...and gil (>_<)

but yeah, I'm sure every team in that ends up like:
2 parivirs (doublehand w/ fighter techs)
1 white mage (viera w/ green magic for buffs, speed, double cast)
1-2 gunmen (fulsiers or whatever)
1 illusionist(w/ the ability to cast using mp, not hp--nu mou)

no need for viera anymore, really (as assassin was nerferd)

@otg: too good--vids up soon?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I didn't really like fft, the story was convoluted and hamfisted, and the gameplay broke itself in literally dozens of ways. I'm a sucker for srpg's but it's my least favorite out of the handful I've played.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
oh come on, the desert trap abuse was totally unbroken >_>

^^which ones do you like? I found luminous arc too simple, love tactics ogre, and can't remember other s off the top of my head

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
FFT was and still is one of my favs, and i'll admit im very biased towards it.

The only gripe I had about the game wasnt actually how broken you can make the game but more of what the game DIDNT do to you.

I mean, sure you only see like (thinks).... 3 mediators? throughout the game, but the game doesnt use invite. And then there are never any **** setups like (oh go figure) two swords + knight skills? (Cause double power break is just dumb. XD)

___

Oh man, sRPGs i liked.

There's the obvious FFT series.

The Nippon Ichi series is pretty ****in good, excluding Disgaea 2 and 3. I just finished playing through Soul Nomad and the World Eaters last week. That game ***** so **** hard, and it's pretty much made to where you cant really abuse it first time through unless you go out of your way. Phantom Brave was probably my next favorite to play because of how many different strategies you could use just to get through the game. (cause god knows Marona is probably one of the worst characters in RPGs). Not to mention being spherical based instead of grid based. Makai Kingdom was aight cause of the factories and vehicles. I wish they wouldnt have jacked up archers in that game (novelty characters? Come the **** on :( )

Front Mission 3 is pretty ****ing balling. Front Mission 4 is pretty ****ing boring.

Tactics Ogre would be high up on my favs list if it wasnt for the mechanic behind spears and counters. That's just dumb. Aside from that, it's pretty kool.

Hoshigami is aight, except for how retardedly hard it is. Seriously, a game reviewers "couldnt beat". I need to go back and finish the game, but it is pretty dumb how it works.

Yggdra Union is pretty ****in kool too, but that game falls strictly into the love-it-or-hate-it category. I liked how simple-yet-hard the game was, but I was real ****in iffy at first with the whole card business.

If I can count it, Advance Wars is off the chain too. I dont really call it a RPG, so i try not to fit it here.

Ironically, I never played a Fire Emblem game, cause most people tell me it just boils down to "Rock Paper Scissors". I keep saying im going to gett off my *** and try one, but well. Well.

Top Bottom