• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i was lookin to go to wato5, that's not going to happen.

Not unless pb&j randomly shows up at my doorstep and offers me a ride without giving him gas money.

.... which is physically impossible because he doenst know where i live.

***EDIT***

I moved some posts in here just to see how it works, and because they're general talk. >.>

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I heard he wasn't going. OH GOD I laughed so hard inside, I'm sorry... :[ PLZ DONT BAN ME. [kidding again]

Haha, weird buttons, eh? Like a mod cp or something? xD

DRD

Smash Lord
do a prtsc screenie of your smashboards screen as a mod, dogy

I wanna see it

screeeeeeeennn

edit: Aw man, I was lookin forward to you being at WATO5

I think me and sumo are like the only docs around CFL :[

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
it's nothin too crazy. Just got these kool lil infaction cards, i can edit anybody's post, etc etc.

Doc's in CFL.

(thinks)

If xYz still plays, i know he used to be a doc/capfal main. I would swear i remember him saying he dropped doc at the march gigs last year (the one before brawl came out), but I could be wrong about that. Im assuming he even plays melee anymore, I hear he's really good in brawl so.

And then i know there was guesswho in the CFL area. I dont think he ever got on the boards. I met him at the few gigs I went to.

___

but yeah, im pretty sure it would take a pretty ridiculous miracle for me to wind up at WATO right now, and if it involved me not going to the GA tourney on sunday, I actually wouldnt go.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
yeah, so anyone have advice on how to beat KDJ with doc?
just kidding

I was actually posting to say I've changed my mind--falcon is much harder to beat than marth. As in barely two stocked by his marth, and 6% 4 stocked by his falcon... >_<

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
in the past few times of playing wes, and in the past few times of me trying **** and not being a *****, i've actually learned ALOT of stuff of how to fight falcon.

I just walked back in from a tourney, so I dont feel like going into alot of details now (there really isnt alot of detail), but it works like this.

Step 1) B.air
Step 2) b.air
Step 3-whatever) B.air.
Step 4) Move out
Step 5) Edgeguard

That's like, really what you need to do. You dont really have to b.air as much as I say, but there's really a few things you gotta realize.

1) You cant catch capfal. Ever. What that means is if he's neutral, you cant ever go in and f.air him, cause he can just move. He's got plenty of ways to beat f.air on top of that, but he can just move, so you cant just flat out go offensive unless he's commiting to stuff.

2) He has to come to you to do anything. In a perfect world, if he wants to move out and run clean away from you, you can start cutting him off with pills. With that being said, he's going to come to you eventually anyway, it's really a matter of time.

3) Both of you can combo each other; capfal obviously does it better. Both of you can edgeguard each other, capfal actually has a wider range (MUCH ****ING WIDER). Capfal has a move that's awesome for approaching and hitting shields, you dont exactly have one (you do, but... it's not THAT awesome). So that means that you really CANT get too offensive minded or else you're asking for trouble.

4) Yes, the whole FH d.air thing works, but capfal can stop that clean not only by u.air, but simply FHing with you, so you cant live by FH d.air.

___

... that's really my cliffnotes version, trust me. XD I still stand by my statement that I think capfal is doc's hardest matchup. But please dont get it twisted with the "fact" that on paper marth is actually doc's hardest matchup.

I quote fact because really and truely, you just have to put marth, capfal, and sheik in a hat, draw them out in any order, and those are the 3 hardest matchups. Seriously.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
yo guys I just finished uploading set 2 of me and cosmo vs darkrain and dmac

edit: *** it I'm just gonna put all the teams vids in my thread

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ok, can we talk about the upB cancel now? I have been practicing it, I can get it sometimes, and its so awesome. Any tips on that? On when to use it and yeah? Lol I'm sure there won't be much talk about it, but god I love it so much haha.

Plus I need help against Peach, I have been fighting her alot lately. :]

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Ok, can we talk about the upB cancel now? I have been practicing it, I can get it sometimes, and its so awesome. Any tips on that? On when to use it and yeah? Lol I'm sure there won't be much talk about it, but god I love it so much haha.

Plus I need help against Peach, I have been fighting her alot lately. :]
What? No. I'm so **** sick of the doc board's obsession with perfecting such a useless technique. Unless you're on FD vs a space pet (this shouldn't happen because good ones usually ban FD on you), then it's always better to just do an up-b. Up b has a ton of uses. You can use it to break up combos, relieve pressure, and quickly chase techs on platforms, all while adding decent damage. It's also very safe on stages with platforms because you can fall through them on your way down, making it very difficult for most characters to effectively punish. Up b cancel is a parlor trick that has little to no practical use, does like 2% damage, has less range than up-b, and can't be followed up unless your opponent has atrocious reaction speed. I do them between enemy stocks all the time just to mess around and show off, because yes they are cool, but ever don't mistake them as being competitively applicable. There is no "when to use it" because they are never useful. So, if you insist, just run in there and do one. However, I would recommend that you spend your up-b cancel practice time on applying the up-b in actual matches.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
What? No. I'm so **** sick of the doc board's obsession with perfecting such a useless technique. Unless you're on FD vs a space pet (this shouldn't happen because good ones usually ban FD on you), then it's always better to just do an up-b. Up b has a ton of uses. You can use it to break up combos, relieve pressure, and quickly chase techs on platforms, all while adding decent damage. It's also very safe on stages with platforms because you can fall through them on your way down, making it very difficult for most characters to effectively punish. Up b cancel is a parlor trick that has little to no practical use, does like 2% damage, has less range than up-b, and can't be followed up unless your opponent has atrocious reaction speed. I do them between enemy stocks all the time just to mess around and show off, because yes they are cool, but ever don't mistake them as being competitively applicable. There is no "when to use it" because they are never useful. So, if you insist, just run in there and do one. However, I would recommend that you spend your up-b cancel practice time on applying the up-b in actual matches.

Thank you very much. I think I probaly already practiced it enough, haha. Although it looks sexy, I know that it won't really help much. ;D So I'll take what you said to heart. I mean MIND.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I wont go as far to say it's completely useless, because I can actually tell you a reason why Up+b is bad, and that's if you space it wrong and it allows your opponent to smash DI out of it. (Yeah you read that right, im gunna be uploading a vid within the next few days to show exactly what I mean)

However, 18s is right in that realistically, you're better off doing Up+B in the long run. If you Up+b cancel, you dont knock your opponent far, especially at low %s, but you will be at the same spot, with the same lag, everytime. That's begging to be punished. If you try to up+b cancel near the edge of a stage and miss, you're running the risk of SDing. Only way to even cut that out is to be able to Up+b cancel both directions flawlessly, and I mean, how many of us can really do it consistantly hit or not hit all the time? I've only met ONE guy who could, and last I heard of him, he's not playing Doc anymore.

The main perk about doing Up+b, like 18s implied, is that you can mixup where you're going to be. I have to mess around with something (read: it's going to take a few weeks, cause I need real people to try it on and I only play real people once every blue moon), but I think that you can go as far as to reverse up+b in situations where you would up+b. That'd allow you to have EVEN MORE options of where to go, as opposed to up+b cancel.

So yeah *points to 18s* he knows what he's talkin about.

_____

As for talking about "stuff I need to try", I've been messing around with a bunch of stuff lately, cause well, I get ideas and I get bored.

All the ones Ima put out there right now deal with the ledge, cause me getting back onto the stage from the ledge is historically iffy around here (Some people go as far as to say "If I can get Dogy on the ledge, I can just kinda stand around and watch him **** up.")

So anyway.

Thing 1. After watching Capfal so many times, I always wondered "Man, I wonder if like, him, ganon, fox/falco (etc) are the only characters that can do the kool ledgehop-waveland-dj-*something* move (which I went to the Capfal boards and have unofficially dubbed "America"). So I was messing around with it with Doc. Doc can do America. It's pretty funny. You can do an American D.air, American Cape, or on stages like Dreamland or Battlefield, you can America up to the platform near you. (sorry for non Americans, it's a Capfal move, so.)

Thing 2. This idea came from the whole America thing. How many times have you recovered using your tornado and your cape, and you grab the ledge? Your opponent doesnt move far away from the ledge, but far enough to where ledgehop d.air/u.air wont hit (and I lol at anybody who really trys a ledgehop f.air. That should NEVER hit.) Well, why has nobody ever though ledgehoping and then wavelanding back to the ledge? If they're going to give you enough time/room to come up right by the ledge, or look to move back to move out of your LH d.air/u.air (or again, God forbid if you'll try the f.air), why not just take the time to get all your stuff back incase you get tapped trying to come off the ledge.

**note** For people who dont know, if you use your cape stall or tornado when you recover, you get it back when you hit the ground AND RETURN TO NEUTRAL. This is why you dont get them back when you grab the ledge.

Thing 3. Ledgehop pills. More specifically, low ledgehop pills. I've never liked the idea of ledgehop pills originally because if you do a good, high ledgehop and throw the pill a.s.a.p (which.. you kinda WANT to do, lol), then everybody who's not bowser can pretty much take a wavedash back, duck, and punish you for being right there. You essentially throw a FH pill right in their face, which is never good. So I was messin around and thought "Well. If Falco's have to drop down a bit before they ledgehop double laser, what happens when I try that with pill." Bam. Regular ground pills. Now people have to jump over them or something. Now you've got mixup. Cheer.

That's all Im going to share, I've got one more, but it's pretty crazy. And it's not that I want everybody to see it and be like "Wow that's amazing." I dont want it to really not work and people to get ***** and be like "**** DOGY YOU SAID THIS WOULD WORK."

Welp, that's all I've got.

ADDITIONAL WALL OF GREEN TEXT JUST TO PISS PINE OFF. DONT GET MAD CAUSE MY TEXT IS THE SAME COLOR AS YOU.

8-)

Gea

Smash Master
The reason why you don't see ledgehop waveland back off with a DJ aerial is because Doc's recovery is nuts and if he gets so much as tilted out of it, he's gone.

Still, if you mix it up and use it sparingly, sure. I'd say it is underused.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I do that all the time, actually, when messing around. It's fun to see people get confused.

Also, what docs are going to MM? It's looking like I have a good chance of going O_o

Oracle

Smash Master
Thing 1. After watching Capfal so many times, I always wondered "Man, I wonder if like, him, ganon, fox/falco (etc) are the only characters that can do the kool ledgehop-waveland-dj-*something* move (which I went to the Capfal boards and have unofficially dubbed "America"). So I was messing around with it with Doc. Doc can do America. It's pretty funny. You can do an American D.air, American Cape, or on stages like Dreamland or Battlefield, you can America up to the platform near you. (sorry for non Americans, it's a Capfal move, so.)
Are you talking about ledgehop->WD backwards off of the stage? Clod Zero was infamous for doing that a lot if I'm not mistaken.

Its good to mixup between simple ledgehops like pill and dair. My personal favorite is clod0->DJ edge canceled fair.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Are you talking about ledgehop->WD backwards off of the stage? Clod Zero was infamous for doing that a lot if I'm not mistaken.

Its good to mixup between simple ledgehops like pill and dair. My personal favorite is clod0->DJ edge canceled fair.
Yeah, a bunch of people have been telling me that, and said there's actually a name for it. But i mean, I've been around for a while and never heard of a name, so.....
yeah its definitely not called america lol

i dont even see what it should be called that lol, care to elaborate?
It is now! It outta be called America cause it's a trademark Capfal move.

I mean I guess you could call it The Terroristic Act for ganon, but that's kinda dumb.

But seriously though, jokes.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
You say that like Black people cant be american or something.

Im still going to call that move America, so Capfal will actually have American Knees.

And now Doc is gunna have American F.airs, and they should never work. XD

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well so that you know I'm not even black. I'm dominican yo. and PEURTORICAN.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
You say that like Black people cant be american or something.

Im still going to call that move America, so Capfal will actually have American Knees.

And now Doc is gunna have American F.airs, and they should never work. XD
in that case then the terrorist attack ganon move can also be called american.

ANYTHING can be called american then.

im from thailand but my thai knee's are AMERICAN

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
you were doing your own commentary???

thats sexy.

+1 sexyness

also gawes is playing again???did he just start back up or has he been playing for a while?

woo sexy falcon

lolsexy

DRD

Smash Lord
Nice match

lawl at the fly guy at the end

IN related news, check this sig

I had to make a tag for my main man

edit: wtf signatures aint showing

edit2: Alright nevermind

Roman.

Smash Champion
ummmm does anybody else know that doc's fair has a weak spot

that is, at a certain spot it'll hit with very little knockback

i never knew about this or have seen it until i just did it

it was like a mix between a phantom hit and a normal hit

also i wasn't really paying attention but the hit didn't make that awesome sound that it usually does, it was more like a thump -.-

btw it was against marth on DL

discuss

Oracle

Smash Master
Top Bottom