• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

otg

Smash Master
lol Jona, gtfo the internet for a minute dude. lol. Still though, Doc >>>>>>>>>>>> Roy anyday of the week. In fact let's prove it right now *goes to call jona*.

Also, DK >>>>>> Roy. Bthrow->Bair->UpB at 0%? Your dead *****.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Awesome AW 2 Avi, Dogy. :3

Is it bad to use too much pills? Although, I notice I haven't been throwing out much, and I start pilling and it doesn't really do much. Is it better to pill when the opponent is higher in percent damage? :3

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Im guessing you mean my sig?

Yes, Counter Break is too good. **** a city, ill **** your **** like you're on a road.

__

Pills.

Too many? **** no.

Poor spacing? Yes.

It is perfectly fine to throw pills all day long if your opponent cannot or is not doing anything about them. However, if you keep throwing pills and you keep getting ***** because you space poorly, or because they're reflecting them or punishing you through the pills (etc etc) then yes, abbreviate that **** and move on to something else.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah, I meant your siggy. :3 Gritt if my favorite Ko, he is so awesome! I have a map I made out of boredom, if you would like to see it. :3

===============================

Alrighty. Jump then pill is fine, right? :3 Thanks in advance.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
@Dogy: yeah, nice sig ^_^
@Arc: Hey, my doc was the only char I did beat you with. I'm entering a busy stretch of school, but I'd def wanna play you more.

re pills: yeah, as long as you use them right, use as many as you want. The problem is that it's hard to spam them correctly for a long period of time, especially against falcon and marth ^__^

St. Viers

Smash Champion
sorry for double post:

sumo: full jump pills are the most mobile, short hop pills are the safest, and grounded pills are only good if it's the only way to get the pill where you want it. Be able to use all three appropriately, and don't use the same pill tech all the time, unless you're using it appropriately all the time.

(I usually double pill, but I've learned when to just SH pill, and I use grounded pills to pressure people grabbing the ledge, as I know it's trajectory the best)

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I was at a tourney this last weekend and I have expanded doc's metagame significantly. At the start of every single game, without exception, I did a standing pill. Even if it was teams and I spawned next to my teammate, or even if I spawned facing away from the enemy, easily 3 out of 4 games, the standing pill hit the enemy. And I was punished for it literally zero times. I was playing some friendlies later and I would announce my intention to Standing Pill, and it still worked, and I was still never punished. I'm tellin you guys, this right here will move Doc even higher up the tier list.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I was at a tourney this last weekend and I have expanded doc's metagame significantly. At the start of every single game, without exception, I did a standing pill. Even if it was teams and I spawned next to my teammate, or even if I spawned facing away from the enemy, easily 3 out of 4 games, the standing pill hit the enemy. And I was punished for it literally zero times. I was playing some friendlies later and I would announce my intention to Standing Pill, and it still worked, and I was still never punished. I'm tellin you guys, this right here will move Doc even higher up the tier list.
Wow, how'd you do that?!? :o
I lol'd

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
like on FD and I spawned on the edge and my teammate spawned in the next slot in. I think that happens if your team has slots 1/2 or 3/4

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
lol Jona, gtfo the internet for a minute dude. lol. Still though, Doc >>>>>>>>>>>> Roy anyday of the week. In fact let's prove it right now *goes to call jona*.

Also, DK >>>>>> Roy. Bthrow->Bair->UpB at 0%? Your dead *****.
WHAT roys b move ***** dk so bad

and then i got you with a fully charged one

lol noob

Donkey Kong? Get that overgrown african american baby out of here.
thats what im sayin

*sniffles*

Lo siento, estoy a mono azul.
lol

poor spanish speaking skill

dont go to mexico

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Yeah, I meant your siggy. :3 Gritt if my favorite Ko, he is so awesome! I have a map I made out of boredom, if you would like to see it. :3

===============================

Alrighty. Jump then pill is fine, right? :3 Thanks in advance.
-Offtopic AW rant-
I love Gritt too, but I love him cause he's just too **** good. I mean, he's banned in competitive play for a **** good reason. Nowhere near as much as Colin, though. That ******* is just gay. XD

___

As for pills. Any kind will do if they're doing what you want to accomplish.

FH pills spend more time in the air, so it deters people from jumping around them. Ground pills stay at your height, so that keeps people from running in. SH pills let you move while you throw ground pills.

There are a few more tricks that go to pills, too, but i'll keep those to myself for now. >.> *RUNS AWAY!*

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^^
please tell!

I know how to use them to hit people on any of the platforms on stages I play, and I ledgecancel them into things to get rid of the lag from throwing, but what else?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
you can use them while sliding off platforms...meaning you aren't staying in one place/set trajectory of a jump<--also, you can still slide off the ledge to ff-ledge-grab.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i've never been a believer in platform/edge/ledge cancelled pills. Im not saying that it doesnt work, im just not a believe that they dont exist. I've had this debate with $mac time and time again.

The reason why I say it doesnt exist cause landing on the ground doesnt cancel anything from the pill animation. Because of that, it doesnt matter whether you land on a platform or not, you've still got to go through that animation.

However, the reason why people say it works (and why, techincally speaking it does), is actually because of a mechanic when you do fullhop pill.

When you do a fullhop pill (like, jump and immediately do a pill) there is a window of time while you come down that you cannot throw another pill. That's because you go into the landing animation. Landing on going off of an edge delays you for a bit, which allows you to throw another pill asap.

Because of that, "edgecancelled" pill would come out as fast as throwing 2 pills asap.

___

And $mac has always been like "Dogy, guess what. You're doing it wrong".

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Ooooh, pill debates.

I might as well pose a question, Mario Vs. Doc is a match I play frequently from both sides so any advice on Pill vs. Fireballs? (from the doc end) The trajectory seems to trade for the usefullness of the pills at times and the fact that fireballs do random crap.

For instance when I play "Guyy" a local doc who isn't on here, we would both throw our projectiles at the same time and my fire ball would go under his pill... he sheilded the pill but due to the weird angle it shield bounced and hit him as soon as he let down his shield to jump/move.

So any advice from you med school guys? :D

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Pills vs Fireballs is opinion. Period.

Pills have a trajectory that makes it easier to keep people out of the air. Fireballs do better at covering the ground.

Pills are easier to get going and have all sorts of multiple angles going, locking down different lanes. Fireballs dont bounce alot so it's easier to have multiples going at one point.

Hell, if you want look at the debate of pills vs fireballs, you have to look beyond the projectiles and go to the characters. If you go there, and you forced me to pick one, i'd have to go fireballs.

Because Mario can fireball approach and punish moveouts with u.air, d.air, AND F.SMASH where as doc can really only punish with u.air and d.air.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Pills really help with stopping approaches/limiting your opponents. It's kinda like Link's boomerang, it lets you become in control of where your opponents are. You can force a Marth to start throwing out aerials to stop pills, that way you kind of limit Marth to getting hit with pills, staying in the air, or risk getting punished for tilting them.

AKA, controlling space. That's how I think I try to use them anyway.

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Hey thanks Dogy,

Oh and elven I meant to say that my fireball bounced off his shiled O_o heh, don't know why I typed it the way I did.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
"i've never been a believer in platform/edge/ledge cancelled pills. Im not saying that it doesnt work, im just not a believe that they dont exist. I've had this debate with $mac time and time again.

The reason why I say it doesnt exist cause landing on the ground doesnt cancel anything from the pill animation. Because of that, it doesnt matter whether you land on a platform or not, you've still got to go through that animation.

However, the reason why people say it works (and why, techincally speaking it does), is actually because of a mechanic when you do fullhop pill.

When you do a fullhop pill (like, jump and immediately do a pill) there is a window of time while you come down that you cannot throw another pill. That's because you go into the landing animation. Landing on going off of an edge delays you for a bit, which allows you to throw another pill asap.

Because of that, "edgecancelled" pill would come out as fast as throwing 2 pills asap.

___

And $mac has always been like "Dogy, guess what. You're doing it wrong"."

Meh, I'm with $mac on this one. It seems to work, and it's great for improving pill mobility, even if the pills don't come out any faster. >_<

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I like down tilting, so I could get the opponent behind me and then maybe try to connect with a bair or fsmash, its hard to try to connect though. :/

Pine

Smash Ace
it is with perfect frame dtilts...dtilt , dtilt cancel, turn around, repeat...it works forever if you are fast enough at dtilt canceling

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
How do you practice dtilt cancelling? (if there is such a thing lol) *re-reads guides*

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
dtilt canceling is one of docs oldest and most used tactics braah

only masters of the craft can teach you
Hmmm interesting. It'd be pretty useful (to take my doc to da next level :3 ).

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hehe its fine. ;p Its not really worrying me as of now.

Top Bottom