• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
I think you can nair out of some of her stuff.. that's all I can think of :/ space well and chaingrab > fsmash often. Doc has stuff on sheik too, but it is a tough matchup

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
well, bair "*****" everybody persay. It actually doesnt "****" sheik like it does alot of characters because sheik can defend herself on recovery (and can actually defend herself well).

If you read a low recovery, you can also throw pills.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Hang on the edge.
If she aims onto the stage, pull up and F-Smash back away.
If not, hesitate, then pull up.

otg

Smash Master
If Sheik gets a grab on you at low %, she can Dthrow CG you if you keep DIing away from her front. If you try to DI behind her/no DI after getting CGed for awhile, they will read this and punish with an usmash (same **** they do to Marth). Thus, don't get grabbed, or just DI behind and take the usmash/uair/fair so you take less damage overall (better than getting CGed for 20+% into the usmash/uair/fair). Doc can combo her pretty legit, and you can CC nearly her whole moveset until high %'s (Dogy listed them before). CG's against her are OK, don't rely on it, Vulcan covered the edgeguarding options against her (hold the edge, wait for her to upB on stage, punish with fsmash/fair/bthrow).

That's really all I can comment on now, currently I woudl rather fight Sheik than Peach so... yeah.

Shroomed

Smash Master
CP sheik with mario

seriously, do it

he comboes her like she's his *****

better recovery, higher percent dthrow->fsmash

mario isnt comboed as easy as doc if im right

and if you play doc, your mario should be decent enough

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If Sheik gets a grab on you at low %, she can Dthrow CG you if you keep DIing away from her front. If you try to DI behind her/no DI after getting CGed for awhile, they will read this and punish with an usmash (same **** they do to Marth). Thus, don't get grabbed, or just DI behind and take the usmash/uair/fair so you take less damage overall (better than getting CGed for 20+% into the usmash/uair/fair). Doc can combo her pretty legit, and you can CC nearly her whole moveset until high %'s (Dogy listed them before). CG's against her are OK, don't rely on it, Vulcan covered the edgeguarding options against her (hold the edge, wait for her to upB on stage, punish with fsmash/fair/bthrow).

That's really all I can comment on now, currently I woudl rather fight Sheik than Peach so... yeah.
You can double jump out of the U-smash I'm pretty sure at low percent. You're not Peach.

*runs*

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
mario isnt comboed as easy as doc if im right
Dunno where you'd get that from. They're both the same weight, falling speed, i-frames on aerials, etc.

and if you play doc, your mario should be decent enough
That's true. Just gotta know the real differences between doc and mario, and you actually can get by fine without knowing most of them.

i.e., you dont REALLY need to know about the nair or bair, but you kinda need to know fireball trajectory vs pill trajectory.

N64

Smash Champion
Dogy's mario fairs ALL THE TIME. So i've concluded from this:

Mario fairs as an approach / combo starter / combo continuer / combo finisher / combo breaker / taunt.

Doc fairs as a finisher / occasional approach.

Otherwise, identical.
donesies.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
I'd say mario is a lil better vs Shiek for some simple reasons.
1.Mario can mix up his recovery better
2.Marios uptilt is very combo heavy on Shiek (Great Anti-air with huge percentage builds if Shiek Di's wrong or looses her jump)
3.Mario can punish jump ins easier with Wd back Fsmash

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Dogy's mario fairs ALL THE TIME. So i've concluded from this:

Mario fairs as an approach / combo starter / combo continuer / combo finisher / combo breaker / taunt.

Doc fairs as a finisher / occasional approach.

Otherwise, identical.
donesies.
I need to hop back on my mario some.

So I can bust out
that cat mario combo
Yayhuzz

-watches vids-
I've come to the conclusion that I like how old skool dogy moves. XD

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Are you supposed to do that with Mario?
I started playing Mario along with Doc, but the Mario boards suck so I play Mario just like Doc but with a bit more F-Smash.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
are you SUPPOSED to? Not really, no. But I like doing it cause it's hilarious.

Cause all somebody has to do is DI/Tech away, then run away. But well, that's what happens when you dont.

XD

JPOBS

Smash Hero
doc vs sheik isnt bad as long as you dont get grabbed. and as said, doc has legit combos on sheik so its not so bad, just avoid the grab, even her broken tilt combos are fine, u can nair out of a lot of them

Gea

Smash Master
No, Luigi has it worse. Just learn it with Mario/Doc or go to the spacies. It isn't THAT bad for them all things considered.

Desh

Smash Ace
what are you guise talking about
his moves are all the saaammmee
his dair is a spinny kick
his nair is a sex kick
same back air
same down b tornado
his up b is KIIINDDAAA different i guesss.
they both throw stuff
THEY BOTH WAVEDASH.
like rly, i think they're clones.
stupid nintendooo

TresChikon

Smash Lord
The way he floats changes his air game dramatically compared to doc and Mario, then can pull off similar combos like u-air combos. But no way are they the same

Desh

Smash Ace
Bait something and grab him.
>_>
I know i make it sound simple.
Watch his vids, see what he does. He doesnt mix up the match w/ his spacies from the vids i've watched.

but theres no point in chasing a fox because hes fox.
Plus you has pills.

cg him till you can fair him. Then fair him. Then at that point you can cg him w/ dthrows if i recall correctly. but you dont even need to be that gay. Hell, if your near an edge, dont go for the throw fair. toss him off. edge gaurding fox is stupidly easy.

Although it is mango. But again. Watch vids. Learn that maw****a.

Prolly not saying anything everyone here doesnt already know.

just dont run in. He out prioritizes you. DD camp if you want, do w.e , just gettin the grab is important, and if hes going xcore tech skill on you then dont even bother going for sheild grabs, but that should go without saying.

I think you should play doc vs fox, how a fox would play against a marth, bait a grab, **** from grab,
gimp as much as possible.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
ah man what sucks is that if mango losses to a doc then a doc main will be the best, what the heck man

anthony000

Smash Journeyman
Bait something and grab him.
>_>
I know i make it sound simple.
Watch his vids, see what he does. He doesnt mix up the match w/ his spacies from the vids i've watched.

but theres no point in chasing a fox because hes fox.
Plus you has pills.

cg him till you can fair him. Then fair him. Then at that point you can cg him w/ dthrows if i recall correctly. but you dont even need to be that gay. Hell, if your near an edge, dont go for the throw fair. toss him off. edge gaurding fox is stupidly easy.

Although it is mango. But again. Watch vids. Learn that maw****a.

Prolly not saying anything everyone here doesnt already know.

just dont run in. He out prioritizes you. DD camp if you want, do w.e , just gettin the grab is important, and if hes going xcore tech skill on you then dont even bother going for sheild grabs, but that should go without saying.

I think you should play doc vs fox, how a fox would play against a marth, bait a grab, **** from grab,
gimp as much as possible.
I cosign everything in this post. And Dogy has the most entertaining Mario I've ever seen.

Shroomed

Smash Master
i havent played him in a really long time

im a lot better now so i want a redo

i dont know how to not run in

my playstyle IS run in lol

Desh

Smash Ace
i havent played him in a really long time

im a lot better now so i want a redo

i dont know how to not run in

my playstyle IS run in lol
That'll kill you.
Lol, its not bad to run in, but be patient. Bait his **** man.
Running in is fine as long as your not doing it blindly, especially against a fox, even more so a really intelligent and consistent one >_>. You lose the camp war in the long run, you lose the priority one too. All you really have is grab game and gimps. I dont include combos as something you have, cuz when i say grab game I'm talking about your initial grab and how you choose to proceed with the ****.

But really running in wont work more than half of the time vs fox for obvious reasons.

He can move. Fast. Lmao. Its not hard to avoid docs approach options as fox obviously.
He can hit you back...and beat it lol. **** if hes good enough he could stand in one spot and shine all your feeble attempts at getting to him >_>

But I suppose I'm not the one who should be telling people how to play match ups . XD

But I just hardly see this as a match up to play over agressively. Being patient and waiting for an opening is probably the smartest way to play it.

Also anything I said cant be taken in a super literal sense, because obviously if you can space your moves better in some cases you can win a match in priority.

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
That'll kill you.
Lol, its not bad to run in, but be patient. Bait his **** man.
Running in is fine as long as your not doing it blindly, especially against a fox, even more so a really intelligent and consistent one >_>. You lose the camp war in the long run, you lose the priority one too. All you really have is grab game and gimps. I dont include combos as something you have, cuz when i say grab game I'm talking about your initial grab and how you choose to proceed with the ****.

But really running in wont work more than half of the time vs fox for obvious reasons.

He can move. Fast. Lmao. Its not hard to avoid docs approach options as fox obviously.
He can hit you back...and beat it lol. **** if hes good enough he could stand in one spot and shine all your feeble attempts at getting to him >_>

But I suppose I'm not the one who should be telling people how to play match ups . XD

But I just hardly see this as a match up to play over agressively. Being patient and waiting for an opening is probably the smartest way to play it.

Also anything I said cant be taken in a super literal sense, because obviously if you can space your moves better in some cases you can win a match in priority.
shroomed style is actually pretty efficient and he's gotten better with it

he always moving, but learned how to aviod gettin hit

vs fox when you approach just watch out for the run away then come back with a up smash, and foxes b-air spams.
chances are foxes are more intimidated by you than the other around

the thing about mangos fox and luckys as well is they dont miss l-cancels makes it tough hahaha

but i do see what you mean, running in can be a little risky, and not seem the best solution

Desh

Smash Ace
Yeah, it depends on what works for you. People have different styles, and really on paper you could put down 1 way to play every match up. But if thats how everyone played matches would get boring as **** XD
Lol, I remember watching shroomed's doc for the first time after watching so many others, and i was like dayum.
XD Man knows how to uair loololol.

But yeah you just have to make sure YOU dont get baited. Really though you're right mentally you get ****ed up after getting gimped once. It puts you in one of those 'oh **** im behind, what if i get gimped again' frame of mind XD.

So I def. see fox being scurred of doc...where as doc is like lol **** i got nun to lose xD

Pi

Smash Hero
So I been messing around w/ doc recently, seems like a **** good char
HMW I watched your matches vs lambchops
Do doc mains every use UB OoS? Or do they substitute that for grab?
Comming from Samus and seeing doc's UB, it seems pretty viable, especially if you can UB cancel consistently

also FH pill -> waveland is too good...

how's the doc v falco matchup? What are doc's weaknesses (in general as well as in this particular matchup), I wanna CP doc for falco cause my buddy likes his lasers and I wanna be able to reflect a few to get him to stop spamming them, so what should I know about doc when I go into this matchup? please and thanks ;o

Top Bottom